  CPU choice (Roland Latour)

From: Jim Blandy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
gnu.announce,gnu.utils.bug,alt.sources.d,comp.lang.scheme,comp.lang.scheme.c,comp.lang.lisp,,comp.lang.c
Subject: Guile 1.3.2 is released
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 00:51:37 -0500

This is release 1.3.2 of Guile, Project GNU's extension language
library.  Guile is an interpreter for Scheme, packaged as a library
that you can link into your applications to give them their own
scripting language.  Guile will eventually support other languages as
well, giving users of Guile-based applications a choice of languages.

It's been almost a year since the last release, so a lot has
happened.  Many bugs have been fixed; the I/O system has been
completely rewritten for portability and performance; we have support
for a CLOS-like object system called GOOPS (to be released
separately); and many other improvements.

The Guile release schedule will be picking up quite a bit starting
with this release.  Please report any problems you find, and you'll
have a fixed release in two months or so.

Please send bug reports to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks! ==============================================================

The Guile core distribution:

Mikael Djurfeldt contributed core support for GOOPS, a CLOS-like object
    system for Guile, a generalized set! syntax, and a new random number
    generator.
Greg Badros contributes patches to use the new SMOB interface.
Gary Houston contributed a more efficient and portable implementation of
    I/O ports, and hacked on (ice-9 expect).
Michael Livshin implemented Dybvig's Guardians.
Roland Orre contributed list and vector sorting functions.
Russ McManus contributed a command-line argument parser (ice-9 getopt-long).
Ken Raeburn contributed patches to make Guile use `const' in some
    appropriate places.
Greg Harvey made sure I didn't lose any patches, and made readline
    highlight matching parentheses.

Bug reports and fixes from:

Greg Badros, Etienne Bernard, John Bley, Brad Bowman, Frank Cieslok,
Karl Eichwalder, Mark Elbrecht, Jay Glascoe, Ian Grant, Eric Hanchrow,
Greg Harvey, Dirk Herrmann, Johannes Hjorth, Charbel Jacquin, David
Kaelbling, Lorentey Karoly, Valdis Kletnieks, Brad Knotwell, Michael
Livshin, David Lutterkort, Christian Lynbech, Russ McManus, Eric
Moore, Nicolas Neuss, Thien-Thi Nguyen, James Dean Palmer, Richard
Polton, Ken Raeburn, Mikael Ståldal, Telford Tendys, Jon Trowbridge,
Bernard Urban, Sebastien Villemot, and Jim Wilson

Also, thanks to:
- Craig Brozefsky, for his work on the Guile mailing list web archives
- Pat Eyler, for his continuing work on the Guile web pages

Obtaining Guile ======================================================

The latest official Guile release is available via anonymous FTP from
ftp.gnu.org as /gnu/guile/guile-1.3.tar.gz.

Via the web, that's:  ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/guile/guile-1.3.tar.gz
For getit, that's:    ftp.gnu.org:/gnu/guile/guile-1.3.tar.gz

The mailing list `[EMAIL PROTECTED]' carries discussions,
questions, and often answers, about Guile.  To subscribe, send mail to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  Of course, please send bug
reports (and fixes!) to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Note that one address is
@sourceware.cygnus.com, and the other is at @gnu.org.

[ Most GNU software is compressed using the GNU `gzip' compression program.
  Source code is available on most sites distributing GNU software.
  Executables for various systems and information about using gzip can be
  found at the URL http://www.gzip.org.

  For information on how to order GNU software on CD-ROM and
  printed GNU manuals, see http://www.gnu.org/order/order.html
  or e-mail a request to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  By ordering your GNU software from the FSF, you help us continue to
  develop more free software.  Media revenues are our primary source of
  support.  Donations to FSF are deductible on US tax returns.

  The above software will soon be at these ftp sites as well.
  Please try them before ftp.gnu.org as ftp.gnu.org is very busy!
  A possibly more up-to-date list is at the URL
        http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html

  thanx [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  Here are the mirrored ftp sites for the GNU Project, listed by country:

  United States:

  California - labrea.stanford.edu/pub/gnu, gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/GNU
  Hawaii - ftp.hawaii.edu/mirrors/gnu
  Illinois - uiarchive.cso.uiuc.edu/pub/gnu (Internet address 128.174.5.14)
  Kentucky -  ftp.ms.uky.edu/pub/gnu
  Maryland - ftp.digex.net/pub/gnu (Internet address 164.109.10.23)
  Massachusetts - aeneas.mit.edu/pub/gnu
  Michigan - gnu.egr.msu.edu/pub/gnu
  Missouri - wuarchive.wustl.edu/systems/gnu
  New Mexico - ftp.cs.unm.edu/mirrors/gnu
  New York - ftp.cs.columbia.edu/archives/gnu/prep
  Ohio - ftp.cis.ohio-state.edu/mirror/gnu
  Virginia - ftp.uu.net/archive/systems/gnu
  Washington - ftp.nodomainname.net/pub/mirrors/gnu

  Africa:

  South Africa - ftp.sun.ac.za/gnu

  The Americas:

  Brazil - ftp.unicamp.br/pub/gnu
  Brazil - master.softaplic.com.br/pub/gnu
  Brazil - linuxlabs.lci.ufrj.br/gnu
  Canada - ftp.cs.ubc.ca/mirror2/gnu
  Chile - ftp.inf.utfsm.cl/pub/gnu (Internet address 146.83.198.3)
  Costa Rica - sunsite.ulatina.ac.cr/GNU
  Mexico - ftp.uaem.mx/pub/gnu

  Australia:

  Australia - archie.au/gnu (archie.oz or archie.oz.au for ACSnet)
  Australia - ftp.progsoc.uts.edu.au/pub/gnu
  Australia - mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/gnu

  Asia:

  Japan - tron.um.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pub/GNU/prep
  Japan - ftp.cs.titech.ac.jp/pub/gnu
  Japan - mirror.nucba.ac.jp/mirror/GNU/
  Korea - cair-archive.kaist.ac.kr/pub/gnu (Internet address 143.248.186.3)
  Saudi Arabia - ftp.isu.net.sa/pub/mirrors/prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu
  Taiwan - ftp.nctu.edu.tw/UNIX/gnu/
  Taiwan - ftp1.sinica.edu.tw/pub3/GNU/gnu/
  Thailand - ftp.nectec.or.th/pub/mirrors/gnu (Internet address - 192.150.251.32)

  Europe:

  Austria - ftp.univie.ac.at/packages/gnu
  Austria - gd.tuwien.ac.at/gnu/gnusrc
  Belgium - ftp.be.gnu.org/
  Austria - http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/gnu/gnusrc/
  Czech Republic - ftp.fi.muni.cz/pub/gnu/
  Denmark - ftp.denet.dk/mirror/ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu
  Denmark - ftp.dkuug.dk/pub/gnu/
  Finland - ftp.funet.fi/pub/gnu
  France - ftp.univ-lyon1.fr/pub/gnu
  France - ftp.irisa.fr/pub/gnu
  Germany - ftp.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/pub/comp/os/unix/gnu/
  Germany - ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/pub/gnu
  Germany - ftp.de.uu.net/pub/gnu
  Greece - ftp.forthnet.gr/pub/gnu
  Greece - ftp.ntua.gr/pub/gnu
  Greece - ftp.duth.gr/pub/gnu
  Greece - ftp.aua.gr/pub/mirrors/GNU (Internet address 143.233.187.61)
  Hungary - ftp.kfki.hu/pub/gnu
  Ireland - ftp.esat.net/pub/gnu (Internet address 193.120.14.241)
  Italy - ftp.oasi.gpa.it/pub/gnu
  Netherlands - ftp.eu.net/gnu (Internet address 192.16.202.1)
  Netherlands - ftp.nluug.nl/pub/gnu
  Netherlands - ftp.win.tue.nl/pub/gnu (Internet address 131.155.70.19)
  Norway - ftp.ntnu.no/pub/gnu (Internet address 129.241.11.142)
  Norway - sunsite.uio.no/pub/gnu
  Poland - ftp.task.gda.pl/pub/gnu
  Portugal - ftp.ci.uminho.pt/pub/mirrors/gnu
  Portugal - http://ciumix.ci.uminho.pt/mirrors/gnu/
  Portugal - ftp.ist.utl.pt/pub/gnu
  Russia - ftp.chg.ru/pub/gnu/
  Slovenia - ftp.arnes.si/gnu
  Spain - ftp.etsimo.uniovi.es/pub/gnu
  Sweden - ftp.isy.liu.se/pub/gnu
  Sweden - ftp.stacken.kth.se
  Sweden - ftp.luth.se/pub/unix/gnu
  Sweden - ftp.sunet.se/pub/gnu (Internet address 130.238.127.3)
           Also mirrors the Mailing List Archives.
  Sweden - ftp.chl.chalmers.se/pub/gnu/
  Switzerland - ftp.eunet.ch/mirrors4/gnu
  Switzerland - sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/gnu (Internet address 193.5.24.1)
  United Kingdom - ftp.mcc.ac.uk/pub/gnu (Internet address 130.88.203.12)
  United Kingdom - unix.hensa.ac.uk/mirrors/gnu
  United Kingdom - ftp.warwick.ac.uk (Internet address 137.205.192.14)
  United Kingdom - SunSITE.doc.ic.ac.uk/gnu (Internet address 193.63.255.4)

]

------------------------------

From: Jayan M <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Microsoft/Linux Conspiracy
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 13:35:15 GMT

That's more like a nightmare, isn't it..?

Jayan

------------------------------

From: "Barry L. Bond" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CPU choice
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 11:36:19 -0400

Check out http://www.redhill.net.au/ih.html and see whether that gives
you a start...

------------------------------

From: Peter Buelow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Can/should a firewall be used as DHCP server
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 09:59:29 -0500

"Jorge O. Martinez" wrote:

> Hi there Linuxeros!
>
> I have a project (network) that I must finish within the next few days, and
> one of this network's vital components will be a firewall between my
> private network, and an ADSL connection to the web. I got 5 static IP
> addresses from my provider, so I am going to set up 5 different firewalls
> for different 'depts.' so they are invisible to each other. Of course, the
> firewalls will be Linux based.
>
> I would like to use DHCP for the private network side, and I am wondering
> if I can/should use the same box that I will use for the firewall as a DHCP
> server...From what I have read, as many services as possible should be
> disabled for the firewall, but I am wondering if the DHCP server would also
> be a potential security hole...I wonder if I it can even be done as this is
> my first firewalling project!
>
> I'll be using Suse or Mandrake for the firewall...Or any other distro that
> can get the job done! Suggestions are welcome on this issue too!
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
>
> Regards,
>
> Jorge M.

>                     http://www.searchlinux.com
  I am not aware of any security risks with BIND 8 (I know or am pretty
sure there are some, but they are not well known) and if you bind the
dhpc server daemon to the NIC that services your private network, then
you shouldn't have a problem. Basically, by binding to just your private
network, it won't listen to requests on the public side and this should
close any or all possible security holes. I am doing this at home on my
cable modem firewall and haven't had any trouble. Just make sure you are
using the latest BIND 8 server. Good Luck.
  And just personal pref, SuSE 6.1 or 6.2 are the best. I used to be
slack, but was disappointed with the fact that the new dist (4.0) is not
glibc and there were a few bugs. Anyway, just a point of preference.
--
Peter Buelow - Software Engineer
--

------------------------------

From: Timo Tossavainen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: why not C++?
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 18:32:24 +0300

Phil Hunt wrote:

> BTW, has anyone read Stroustrup's paper where he suggests overloading
> the whitespace operator? It's quite an elegant idea, for example
> mathematicians would be able to write:
>
>    v = a x + b y + c z;
>
> instead of the usual:
>
>    v = a * x + b * y + c * z;

I think that the paper was published on April 1st. Draw your own
conclusions...

Timo

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 15:46:12 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Timo Tossavainen  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Phil Hunt wrote:
>
>> BTW, has anyone read Stroustrup's paper where he suggests overloading
>> the whitespace operator? It's quite an elegant idea, for example
>> mathematicians would be able to write:
>>
>>    v = a x + b y + c z;
>>
>> instead of the usual:
>>
>>    v = a * x + b * y + c * z;
>>

>I think that the paper was published on April 1st. Draw your own
>conclusions...
>
>Timo

        I believe there is a language that uses space as an operator,
SNOBOL, one of the more interesting artifacts of the Cambrian Explosion
of language design back in the what?  50s, 60s?  Don't remember many
details about it though.
--
No statement is wholly true, not even this one.
    also: remove "UhUh" and "Spam" to get my real email address -----

------------------------------

From: "William B. Cattell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mandrake 6.0 kernel
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 15:26:50 GMT

Ben Ritchie wrote:

snip
> I guess my questions are....
>
> (a) Do I just download the full source for the new kernel I want, and
> patch that in future, or is there another way?
>
> (b) What's in the Mandrake 2.2.9 kernel source that stops patch from
> working? Do I need it in future?
>
> Many thanks - feel free to flame away if this is all written down
> somewhere obvious. A URL with the flame would be nice, though :-)
>
> Ben.

Ben - yes, they are written down in the Kernel-upgrade
HOWTO.  That HOWTO will tell you all you need to know about
upgrading your kernel.  make xconfig *should* work.  I'm
pretty sure I used it on a Mandrake 6.0 system I have at
work.  I would suggest getting the whole source.  It's
always been my preference to compile a kernel and not just
patch it.  No real reason other than personal peference.

Bill

http://members.home.com/wcattell
Park not thy Harley in the darkness of thine garage, that it
may collect dust for want of being oft ridden. Ride thy
Harley
with thy brethren, and rejoice in the spirit of the road.

From: "Dave Kaylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux Reading Suggestions
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 10:09:34 -0500

I have installed RH 5.2 in one of my older systems to get a feel for the OS
and would like to know what books may be a good reference.  I have extensive
experience in Windows (ducking!) and OS/2 but have not had any Linux (and
very limited Unix) exposure.

Thanks for any help
Dave Kaylor

------------------------------

From: -ljl- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: kmod ?
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 16:04:57 GMT

In "/usr/src/linux/Documentation/kmod.txt" says to:

  echo "/sbin/modprobe" > /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe

when I do this here is what I get:

  lou1: # echo "/sbin/modprobe" > /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe
  bash: /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe: No such file or directory

  lou1: # ls /proc/
  1          148          338          dma          loadavg      rtc
  109        149          339          filesystems  locks        scsi
  11         150          4            fs           meminfo      self
  114        151          88           ide          misc       slabinfo
  128        152          92           interrupts   modules      stat
  142        2            bus          ioports      mounts       swaps
  145        3            cmdline      kcore        net          tty
  146        336          cpuinfo      kmsg         partitions   uptime
  147        337          devices      ksyms        pci          version

I'm running Linux 2.2.5, any and all help will be appreciated.

Louis-ljl-{ Louis J. LaBash, Jr. }

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (G. Dimitoglou)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Linux on DECpc 425 Help needed
Date: 27 Aug 1999 15:51:30 GMT

Hi all, I would like to know if anyone has put *any* version of Linux on a DECpc 425.

I have no idea what the BIOS is or what network card it has but I assume that it is
the default one that
Digital used to ship them with (it is definately 10Mb/sec).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
George

------------------------------

From: steve mcadams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: athome.users-unix,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: VMware - wow!
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 07:11:14 -0600

Sorry to butt in and sound like a basher, but can someone explain to me why
this vmware gizmo has two versions, one for Windows and another for Linux?
A true virtual machine operating system would run on the hardware and
Windows, Linux, BeOS, or whatever would run on top of it transparently.  Is
this a crude hack, or what is going on?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: L'Onda
Date: 27 Aug 1999 15:17:48 GMT

Saturday 4th and Sunday 5th September 1999 we are making L'Onda
(the Wave), a meeting of chatters and surfers.

In Treviglio (Bergamo-Italy) in the sports dome
with free entrance you'll find music, role games, surfing
and especially the chance to give an appointment to your
friends and look them finally in the eyes :-)

More info (on how to get there too) at
http://raduno.mmguest.com/index1.htm

We are waiting for you
Greetings to all comp.os.linux.misc