Linux-Misc Digest #752, Volume #21               Fri, 10 Sep 99 15:13:13 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Linux System Labs ("William B. Cattell")
  Help: Linux Netscape can't do DNS lookups using ADSL ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: General Rant from a Linux Newbie ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux System Labs (Conway Yee)
  Re: MS CD's (Lew Pitcher)
  Re: Amiga, QNX, Linux and Revolution (Aram Iskenderian)
  on board S3 Trio3D  (scmpoper)
  Re: Req.: Experience with SyJet Drive (SyQuest) (David Rabanus)
  Re: I broke my system! (again) (John Hasler)
  Re: I broke my system! (again) (John Hasler)
  Re: General Rant from a Linux Newbie (John Hasler)
  Re: Oracle Financial on Linux ("William B. Cattell")
  Re: NFS Daemon Failed to load:  nfssvc not Implemented ("William B. Cattell")
  Re: gnome-config: command not found... (Troy Carter)
  Absurd Linux mentality ! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: How do I delete mail from Netscape? (Darren Hole)
  Re: How do I delete mail from Netscape? (kev)
  Re: Need some basic networking advise ("William B. Cattell")
  Re: How do I delete mail from Netscape? (Steve Guidi)
  Re: HELP!  How to login and activate DSL???? ("Andrew Smith")
  Re: Apache ~ user directories? (Allin Cottrell)
  Help!!! Canon BJC-6000 will not work! (Shane Blaufuss)

From: "William B. Cattell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux System Labs
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 17:21:13 GMT

Martin McCormick wrote:

>         Someone told me of a company they referred to as Linux System
> Labs that sells a pack of CDROm's containing several Linux
> distributions for around $15.00.    I may have a mixup on the name
> because I am having trouble locating them by that name.  Does this
> sound familiar to anybody?
>
> Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
> OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Data Communications Group

I've purchased the Infomagic package that normally includes four or five
different distributions plus archives from Sunsite and MIT.  It's published
every quarter for around $40.00 but you can find older versions at computer
shows and the like for $20 and under.  FWIW.

Bill
http://members.home.com/wcattell
Park not thy Harley in the darkness of thine garage, that it
may collect dust for want of being oft ridden. Ride thy Harley
with thy brethren, and rejoice in the spirit of the road.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.dcom.xdsl,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Help: Linux Netscape can't do DNS lookups using ADSL
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 16:27:51 GMT

Hi,

This is a really strange problem.  I've been using a stock RedHat 5.2
system for about a year with no problems.  I recently got ADSL service
from BellSouth.  It works really well, except for one (really important)
thing: Netscape Navigator can't do DNS lookups properly.  Here're the
facts:

    * Doing a "nslookup hostname.com" works fine.  DNS lookups also
      work fine for other software, such as lynx, ping, ssh, etc.
    * When Netscape tries to do a DNS lookup, its CPU usage goes up to
      95%, and my other ADSL networking dies (i.e., all my telnet
      sessions are hung, ping hangs, etc.).  When I hit "stop" in
      Netscape, my networking is fine (i.e., telnet connections
      weren't dropped, just hung).  I have left Netscape for 10
      minutes to see what happens, and it never completes the DNS
      lookup.
    * I have tried this with Netscape versions 4.51, 4.6, and 4.07
      with the same results.
    * In desperation, I setup a caching DNS server on my machine, and
      put 127.0.0.1 in my /etc/resolv.conf.  So now when I want to go
      to foo.com, I do a "nslookup foo.com", and then I can go to
      foo.com from Netscape, since foo.com will already be in named's
      cache, and Netscape will look it up quickly and proceed as
      normal.  Obviously, this is a non-optimal way to browse the web.
    * I have tried a variety of different name servers, including ones
      at my company, the ones that DHCP sets up in
      /etc/resolv.conf.dhcp, and the root nameservers that my named
      uses.  Same effect for all of them.
    * I never had any problems like this when I was using PPP for
      internet service.

Thanks for any help,

Sean

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: General Rant from a Linux Newbie
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 16:31:58 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  K. Bjarnason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <7r40rs$6pg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>    [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >   K. Bjarnason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > -- snip --
> >
> > > Most folks want . . . to be able to install, run, and if necessary
> > > uninstall their tools - word processors, spreadsheets, whatver -
> > > without *having* to know how the system works.
> >
> > Sort of like a car owner wanting to install a fuel injection system
> > or headers on his car without having to know how a car works?
>
> No, like a car owner wanting to *drive* his car without knowing how
> the engine works.

Wrong. *Using* a computer is analogous to *using* (i.e., driving) a car.
I was discussing *installing* software, which is not the same as *using*
a computer. In the car analogy, it would correspond to *installing* a
new cam or manifold or fuel injection. In both cases, the functionality
of the machine is *enhanced* or *modified.*

> Why should he?  He's not (necessarily) a mechanic.  He buys a car as a
> tool for driving.  He buys a computer - which includes the
> applications and OS - as a tool, to do work.

Correct. The applications are usually preinstalled (Office, IE, etc.),
just like the engine and CD player are preinstalled in a car. If you
want to enhance the car's functionality (increase its horsepower or
handling capabilities, for example), you'd better get a qualified
mechanic to do the job, or learn about cars if you want to do it
yourself.

Unfortunately, in the computer world, any random bozo is expected to be
able to install software on a computer, regardless of how ignorant they
are with regard to computers. Would you expect any idiot off the street
to be able to install a new suspension on your car? Of course not. But,
thanks to the Great MS-Illusion, we expect the equivalent in computing.
A computer is orders of magnitude more complex and sophisticated than a
car, yet people insist on believing that *less* intelligence,
understanding, or knowledge should be necessary to modify a computer's
functionality than to modify a car's functionality.

Go figure.

> By your analogy, nobody should be able to drive a car unless they can
> rebuild the engine.

Try again.  My analogy is sound. Your assessment of my analogy is what's
completely off-base.

Any random bozo should be able to use a computer. *Use* a computer. And
this is true, in such dedicated cases as ATMs, gas pumps and information
kiosks.  It even holds true for general-purpose desktop PCs, provided
that the bozo in question isn't expected to modify it in any way, which
would include installing software.

Curtis

From: Conway Yee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 10 Sep 1999 13:39:49 -0400

"William B. Cattell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I've purchased the Infomagic package that normally includes four or five
> different distributions plus archives from Sunsite and MIT.  It's published
> every quarter for around $40.00 but you can find older versions at computer
> shows and the like for $20 and under.  FWIW.

Why would anyone WANT 4-5 different distributions?  Most are variants on
a theme.  Few, if anyone, uses multiple distributions.  You pays your
money and takes your choice.

Incidentally, the Infomagic LDR (Linux Developers Resource) have unbundled
the distributions from the archives.  The archives are sold separately now.

Conway Yee

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Subject: Re: MS CD's
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 16:45:42 GMT

Could it be that your Linux box lacks Joliet support in it's iso9660 fs implementation?

On 10 Sep 1999 15:56:12 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Per Steinar Iversen)
wrote:

>I have a problem with reading MS Select CDs
>under linux (RH 6.0, kernel 2.2.12).
>
>The problem is with a CD that contains Office 2000.
>
>If read from a windows box it works well, Office installs.
>
>If the cd is mounted on my linux box and shared out through Samba
>it looks ok, but Office does not install, it complains
>of "missing components".
>
>If I make a copy of this cd with mkisofs/cdrecord I get the same
>result when the copy is read on a windows box. This means
>that the problem is not with Samba, but with the
>way linux reads/present this CD.
>
>Anyone have an idea on how to fix this problem?
>It is extremely useful to use linux to share
>a cd-drive when installing programs on windows.
>
>-psi

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant
Toronto Dominion Financial Group

([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Aram Iskenderian)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.qnx,comp.sys.amiga.misc
Subject: Re: Amiga, QNX, Linux and Revolution
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 17:33:02 GMT

On Thu, 09 Sep 1999 23:38:46 GMT,
In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeffrey C. Dege) wrote:

>>>Well, perhaps it's because the first four machines we installed
>>>IE 4 on with Active Desktop enabled had to be reformatted and
>>>rebuilt before we could get them to work.
>>
>>Hmmm?
>>What has enabling Active Desktop with reformatting?
>>Please expand on this.
>
>Installing IE4 with Active Desktop on developers machines (usually loaded with
>a great variety of various development packages, tools, etc.) caused some
>of the packages and/or apps that we critically needed to work not to
>work, to the point that our only solution was to strip the machine down
>and reinstall from scratch.
>
>This was, in fact, primarily a problem with the IE4 installer, but it
>gave everyone here a poor impression of IE4.

So no one there(including developers)couldn't disable Active desktop, or
even remove Inter Explorer, or update the packages that you've got
there?

Formatting and reinstalling everything was simpler?

I would like to meet who ever maintains your company's workstations. :-)
Don't get me wrong I'm not a fan of M$, but this is first time I ever
heard that enabling Active Desktop lead to formatting a hard drive.

--

Aram Iskenderian.
To email, hit reply, check the email address and add "r" somewhere.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 00:45:14 +0800
From: scmpoper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: on board S3 Trio3D

hello:
 I have a built-in S3 Trio3D with 2M vedio adaptor on board ,and try to
run X with 16 bits color but failed, only got 8 bits. Any solution for
this??
I am using IBM 300GL PII 350,and ReaHat 6.0
Many thank.....

------------------------------

From: David Rabanus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware,de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Req.: Experience with SyJet Drive (SyQuest)
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 10:50:17 -0700

The problem that I have is that I don't have a SCSI bus. I have to use
their Parallel-2-SCSI cable. I heard that there are special drivers needed.

but anyway - thanks for answering - David

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I broke my system! (again)
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 15:16:37 GMT

Coy A Hile writes:
> or you could do like i did and get rid of redhat's rc scripts and replace
> them with equivalently-functioning slackware scripts.  redhat's init
> scripts are even more messed up than a genuine sysv init (on which it is
> based).

Or use Debian and install file-rc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            Do with it what you will.

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 15:12:26 GMT

Allin Cottrell writes:
> If you want to be able to hand-hack the rc scripts then use Slackware.

Or Debian.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            Do with it what you will.

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 15:08:45 GMT

Albert Ulmer writes:
> Indeed it is!

dpkg is the Debian package manager.  dselect is a front-end for it.  others
are apt-get, console-apt, and gnome-apt.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            Do with it what you will.

From: "William B. Cattell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Oracle Financial on Linux
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 17:32:00 GMT

Alain Coetmeur wrote:

> Who know if Oracle Financial is available on Linux,
> which parts ? which limitations ?
>
> any experience with this system under linux ?
>
> thank in advance.

Have you asked Oracle?  I'm pretty sure they're supporting Linux (the
newest industry fad) but as far as specific programs running on Linux your
best bet is to go to the source (the vendor).  FWIW.

From: "William B. Cattell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NFS Daemon Failed to load:  nfssvc not Implemented
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 17:28:53 GMT

Jeroen Willems wrote:

> William B. Cattell wrote:
> >root wrote:
>
> Hi William, I hope you aren't surfing as root........ Crackers heaven.....
>
> Regards,
>
> jEroen

No, actually the guy I was responding to was in as root.  That's what the
'>>' shows - that I was quoting and replying to a guy using 'root'.  Good
advice though.

From: Troy Carter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: gnome-config: command not found...
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 09:33:18 -0400

Timothy wrote:

> Hi
>
> I was trying to './configure' pan-0.4.9 (newsreader) when I got this
> message.  I'm running RH6....  Any ideas on how to fix it?  Thanks......
>
> Tim

You need to install the gnome-libs-devel package (or is it
gnome-core-devel?  install both :) ).

-Troy

Troy Carter
228A Marshall Av.      (609) 430-9158 (H)
Princeton, NJ 08540    (609) 243-2941 (O) (PPPL)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.princeton.edu/~tcarter

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Absurd Linux mentality !
Date: 10 Sep 1999 17:17:41 GMT

My heading is a bit extreme - perhaps ?

Linux users who are proud that they learned what:
"     cd /home; tar cvpf - * | ( cd /newhome; tar xvpf - )     "
 means; don't yet realise that knowledge of this arbitrary syntax, will be of
 no use to them in 10 years time.

Those of you who spent resources learning a dozen different asmbl-langs:
mov h,p;  lod h,p ; ldx h,p ....etc.   Where all of these were 'explained'
in a more universal syntax. eg.  N -> [p]  , might have realised the
waste of their time/effort.    Apparently most just accept this method.

Certain skills/knowledge is universally applicable.  Knowing/remembering
Peter's , John's, Abdull's..... current telephone number is NOT !!

If you want to move your coffee cup from the left side to the right side,
you use what I'll call a 'visual method': you look at the cup and at your
hand manipulating the cup, until the task is completed.  Linux mentality
prefers to wear a blindfold and manipulate the cup via the telephone
using a necessarily arbitrary syntax.

The originally M$DOS utility 'Norton Commander', is cloned and
extended for Linux as Midnight Commander.  Whereas I could not
tolerate Linux's school-boy's syntax, having several MidntCmdrs
(in different VTs), makes Linux somewhat usable.  Not only can you
visually navigate thru the dir-tree, and see files in the current dir
(with size, date, etc.), you can move, copy, delete....etc. without
remembering arbitrary syntax.  Knowledge/progress means having
CONCEPTS not WORDS. ie. you don't want to have to remember
is it 'big' or is it 'large'.  Extending the principle of working with ideas
instead of 'strings of chars'. I don't know and DON'T WANT to know
how to mount my B: drive.  MdntCmd allows eg. to make a dir for
often used scripts; call one script: 'mount B:' and call another:
'unmount B:' . Then in future, easily/visually goto the 'Script' dir
visually scroll down to the 'well named script', hit enter - done !

Forget the school-boy mentality of being proud of acrobatically
remembering  the 'correct syntax'.         A further example:
 files have permission: read, write, execute; for owner, ........etc.
 the command is chmod or modch, or dog-shit or some-thing ?!?
 Using MdntCmdr I don't need to remember the arbitrary syntax.
 All is done via menu and results are visually confirmed !!

In summary: whereas M$win insults one by talking via 'cartoons',
the 1950's method of 'communicating with the little man in the box
via shorthand syntax' is absurdly outdated.

My motivation for this post is the realisation that the post bellow is made
redundant by using Midnight Commander. MC doesn't answer the question,
it eliminates the need for the question(s) !!
=========================
On Tue, 07 Sep 1999 23:31:11 GMT, Ted wrote:
 >I just cleared a partition from my hard drive, so now I have two ext2
 >partitions, and I want to move the /home and /misc to the new partition.
 >How should I go about doing that?

I've seen reports that cp -a /home/* /newhome will work, but I use

cd /home; tar cvpf - * | ( cd /newhome; tar xvpf - )

This is after creating an ext2 file system on the partition using
mke2fs, doing

mkdir /newhome

and mounting the partition on /newhome.  When you're satisfied that the
files under /newhome are OK, you can

rm -rf /home

and then

mv /newhome /home.

You will then want to add a line to /etc/fstab to mount /home on bootup.

Bob T.

------------------------------

From: Darren Hole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: How do I delete mail from Netscape?
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 18:10:41 +0000

kev wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been right through some of my mail folders in order to delete the
> ones I don't need (Netscape kept crashing with large mail folders).
> However, the size of the folders on disk has not changed. And, because
> deleting something moves it to the Trash folder (then I deleted it from
> there), my Trash mail file is now 68Mb, even though there is 'nothing'
> in there when viewing the Trash folder in Messenger. How do I make
> Netscape delete the messages it reckons are already deleted?
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Kev

Try compact all folders from the file menu.  I read that netscape doesn't
completely remove files even after deleteing them and emptying the trash.

--
Darren Hole
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: kev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 14:58:50 +0100

John Soltow wrote:

> kev wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been right through some of my mail folders in order to delete the
> > ones I don't need (Netscape kept crashing with large mail folders).
> > However, the size of the folders on disk has not changed. And, because
> > deleting something moves it to the Trash folder (then I deleted it from
> > there), my Trash mail file is now 68Mb, even though there is 'nothing'
> > in there when viewing the Trash folder in Messenger. How do I make
> > Netscape delete the messages it reckons are already deleted?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > - Kev
>
>     Click "File", click "Compact all folders"

I would, but it's greyed out. What else?

- Kev

------------------------------

From: "William B. Cattell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need some basic networking advise
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 17:25:32 GMT

Warren Bell wrote:

> I want to connect two linux boxes, network them together.  What I want
> to do is have machine1 connected to the net 24/7 with a modem.  Then
> machine2, with no modem, connected through machine1 to access the net.
> Machine1 will be running a web server also.
>
> I asked part of this question before and someone suggested IP
> masquerading.  Are there any step-by-step instructions on how to set
> this up?
>
> Also, I need to know what hardware.  This will be a home network so I
> don't need anything too fancy or expensive.  Just somthing that will
> work reliably.  I don't know anything about networking and have heard of
> 10baseT, ethernet.  What should I get.  And do I need to set up any
> special service on the machines to be started up at boot time?
>
> I'm using Mandrake 6.0 on both machines.
>
> Any help is appreciated,
> Warren Bell

Warren - refer to http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/ and follow the links down to
the HOWTOs.  You'll find a bunch of info on IP masquerading, proxies and
firewalls.  You should also monitor (if you're not already) the
comp.os.linux.networking usenet group.

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 13:28:10 -0400
From: Steve Guidi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc

==============3EAFE27F7F0B4C59366F47BD

kev wrote:

> John Soltow wrote:
>
> >     Click "File", click "Compact all folders"
>
> I would, but it's greyed out. What else?

    Netscape stores mail messages in on large file (per folder).  Check the
folder ~/nsmail (or ~/.nsmail - can't remember which) and remove the files
manually.  If you delete the default files (Inbox, Trash, Sent Messages,
etc...) Netscape will recreate them when it starts up (and something is written
to those folders).  I am not sure about custom folders though.

==============3EAFE27F7F0B4C59366F47BD

begin:vcard
n:Guidi;Steve
tel;cell:613-282-2529
tel;fax:613-725-9599
tel;work:613-728-0826 x1662
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.corel.com
org:Corel Corporation;Engineering - WordPerfect
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Software Developer
adr;quoted-printable:;;1600 Carling Avenue=0D=0A;Ottawa;Ontario;K1Z-8R7;Canada
fn:Steve Guidi
end:vcard

From: "Andrew Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: HELP!  How to login and activate DSL????
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 16:49:36 +0100

hi

it's far from an ideal solution, but you could use a program called VMWARE
(www.vmware.com - i think). it allows you to create 'virtual computers'
inside your own. what you could do is boot into linux and use vmware to
create a win9x machine. install windows and the connection program on your
'new' computer, and whenever you want connect, just change task to your
virtual machine and log on again. maybe you could use some sort of script in
windows (or visual basic if you know it) to automatically logon again every
2 hours.

hope this helps,

Andrew

news:7rajno$upa$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Allin Cottrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Apache ~ user directories?
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 09:33:22 -0400

"Daniel P. Gelinske" wrote:

> I am having the same problems myself... I did the 'grep public-html
> httpd.conf' and nothing came up.

Try looking for "UserDir" in httpd.conf.  In my setup I have

  UserDir www-home

and files in a subdirectory named "www-home" of each user's
home directory are then available for browsing.

Note that permissions must be right.  Users' home directories
should be mode 711, and their html subdirectories mode 755.

Allin Cottrell.

------------------------------

From: Shane Blaufuss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help!!! Canon BJC-6000 will not work!
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 14:17:45 GMT

I hope someone can help me, or at least comfort me by letting me know
that they've experienced (and resolved) this issue, too:

In July I bought a Canon BJC-6000 because the price was right and I was
impressed with the print quality...And it works wonderfully in
Windows98 (it's connected to LPT1).  The problem is, when I installed
the printer in Redhat 5.2, it didn't detect a printer on lp0, like all
my documentation said it should...but it did say it thought I had a
printer on lp1, so I tried that first.  It didn't work, and by "not
work" i mean that the printer doesn't even TRY to respond to print
commands...So I reinstalled it, using lp0, which did the same
thing...Out of desperation, I tried lp2 and received the same results.

I read the Printing HOW-TO, and did some web searching, and I do know
that winprinters will not work without some addtional software, and
that various models work at various degrees under Linux...Adding to the
problem is that no where in my documentation or on the web does Canon
admit that their BJC-6000 is a winprinter, so I'm assuming, with great
optimism, that it isn't and i'm just doing something wrong in Linux. I
would appreciate any help on this matter, as I would hate to have this
beautiful printer and not be able to use it with Star Office!!!