Subject: Re: My sound is gone upgrading from SuSE 6.0 to 6.2
From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 08:00:03 GMT

Never mind.  I fixed it.

Now if I can only get the PCMCIA service to be started once in the
init process :-/

--
David Steuber   |   Hi!  My name is David Steuber, and I am
NRA Member      |   a hoploholic.

http://www.packetphone.org/

Sturgeon's Law:
        90% of everything is crud.

------------------------------

From: Kirk Yale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modems and Corel Linux OS
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 07:30:08 GMT

I have been away from the Linux movement for a time now so I decided to
purchase the brand-new Corel Linux OS.  I must admit a pretty nice setup,
but being so compatible and harmonious with Windoze 98 and win/dos files,
could'nt the OS speak a language my win-modem speaks???  I can setup
dial-up fine, but when dial-up tries to communicate with the modem, the
modem won't respond.  What can I do? any help would be greatly appreciated.
LINUXorBUST

Subject: RH6.1: RealPlayer7 missing files?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin Brown)
Date: 28 Mar 2000 07:38:22 GMT

Well, I downloaded RealPlayer7 from real, and installed as directed.

It hasn't worked at all.  Under netscape, when I click on a audio link a
file requester comes up asking to create 'makeplaylist.asp'.

If I try and run '/usr/local/RealPlayer7/realplay' from the command line
nothing happens.  An 'strace' of same returns:

open("/usr/share/i18n/locale.alias", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file
or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale/en_US/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT
(No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale/en/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No
such file or directory)

And in fact, these files do _not_ exist.

Any ideas on how to solve to get realplay to run would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanx.
--
                             - Martin J. Brown, Jr. -
                             - [EMAIL PROTECTED] -

               PGP key id#: E87466BB keyserver: certserver.pgp.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Modems and Corel Linux OS
Date: 28 Mar 2000 02:44:11 EST

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000 07:30:08 GMT, Kirk Yale
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>
shouted forth into the ether:
>could'nt the OS speak a language my win-modem speaks???

Talk to the bloody hardware manufacturers about *THAT*.  If they'd release
specs for the LoseModems they make, we'd have Linux drivers for them in a
matter of weeks.  Call or send E-mail to the manufacturer of both the
modem and the system, and complain.

>dial-up fine, but when dial-up tries to communicate with the modem, the
>modem won't respond.  What can I do? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check the following URLs:
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html
http://www.linmodems.org

If your LoseModem has a Lucent or Rockwell chipset, you might be in luck.
Otherwise... you might have to forget it, bite the bullet, and pick up a
cheap Real Modem that plugs into the 9-pin serial port (COM1 or COM2 in
DOS-speak) for about $50 US.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| Programmers are playwrights
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| Computers are lousy actors

------------------------------

From: "Hubert Felber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MIDL compiler?
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 10:09:48 +0200

Hello,

I would like to port my windows application which uses RPC to SUSE.
Therefore I am looking for a MIDL compiler to generate the necessary stubs
from the IDL file.

Does anyone know where a can find a MIDL compiler for LINUX?

Thank you

Hubert

------------------------------

From: "A Favored Son" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Multiple outgoing ppp accounts for multiple users--how to do it?
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 00:15:14 -0800

I have several co-workers sharing a single machine.
They would each like to be able to dial up their respective ISP's
from work, but we want to (as much as possible) prevent any
one user from dialing up on another user's account... so each
user needs his own ppp access (none concurrently) to his own
isp.
I can set up ppp, no problem, but getting each his own script and
getting the permissions straight I could use some help with.

Please?

Hey, I heard penguins feed their young by regurgitating into their
mouths.  That kind of describes linux support. :-)

------------------------------

From: Neil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hosnames in title var of Xterm
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 09:17:27 +0000

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 09:08:12 +0100, Neil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Is there a way to do this in bash for remote systems ? I've trawled around all
>the usual places but to no avail.

Thanks to all for helpful replies.

Neil

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Meixner)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: IDE zip Drives
Date: 28 Mar 2000 08:07:04 GMT

Ralph Blach ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Does Linux support IDE zip/jazz drivers?

ZIP: Yes and no. There seem to be different versions of ZIP drives out.
Some of them skip the first 32 Sectors, so that you may have problems
exchanging data with other ZIP drives. We have quite a bunch of ZIP drives
and some skip 32 sectors an some do not. We have tested different kernels
without success. There was a post, that said, that there was a jumper on
the drive for enabling/disabling this skip, but I could not find it.

So if anybody has a fix for that, please let me know.

- Matthias Meixner

--
Matthias Meixner                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Technische Universität Darmstadt

------------------------------

From: fred smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Remote terminal
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 00:33:31 GMT

Peet Grobler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Sorry for flooding the newsgroup, one last question.

: I want to connect to my Linux machine with a MS-DOS machine running a
: terminal emulator on COM1. How do I run a process on the Linux machine to
: monitor the port, and start the terminal session?

You need to run one of the 'getty' programs (there are several). You do
this by adding an entry in /etc/inittab. Etc/inittab tells the 'init'
program what other programs to start when the system boots and how to
manage them. Here's an entry from my /etc/inittab that fires up a getty
on one of my serial ports:

S1:235:respawn:/sbin/getty -t60 ttyS1 DT9600 vt320

This starts up /sbin/getty on /dev/ttyS1 (COM2) at a fixed speed of 9600.
The third field ("respawn") tells init to restart the getty whenever it
dies (this is how it gets restarted when you log off at the end of a
session).

If you've got a suitable serial cable feeding COM2 from your external
serial terminal (PC), and a suitable terminal emulation program running
on that PC, then this should take care of your needs.

If you need a good terminal emulator for DOS, I suggest trying MS-Kermit
(www.columbia.edu/kermit). It's text mode, command-driven, free, and
powerful.

Fred

--
---- Fred Smith -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] ----------------------------
============================== Matthew 7:21 (niv) =============================

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Subject: Re: >1 linux on the same computer? can it be done?
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 01:30:45 -0600

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, Me <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
spake unto us, saying:

>There shouldn't be any problem with this, so long as *ALL* of the
>partitions for the different distributions are distinct.  That way
>settings and installed programs in one don't affect the other.

Just an additional note, though: you *can* share your swap partition
between multiple installations on the same box, as long as you don't
try to run them concurrently via VMWare or something <g>).

I have three different Linux installations (Red Hat 5.1, Red Hat 6.1,
and Mandrake 6.1) sharing the same swap partition on one of my boxes.

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>--->  Bloomington, MN
      OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Solaris + Win95 + WinNT4 + FreeBSD + DOS

------------------------------

From: A Guy Called Tyketto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Athlon kernel compile
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 08:37:04 GMT

------------------------------

From: Jose Juan Iglesias <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dynamic Libraries
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 09:55:16 +0200

First and foremost thank you for you attention (and thanks Michael Kelly).

Paul Kimoto wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jose Juan Iglesias Rebollo wrote:
> > How can I determine at compiling time where the application shall look
> > for dynamic libraries if possible?
> >
> > I have Red Hat 6.0. I want to decide where to install these libraries
> > instead of installing all of them in /usr/lib, say
> > /usr/local/lib/whateverapp/. I guess this must be done at compiling
> > time.
>
> If you _must_ do this at compile time, you can pass the "-rpath" flag
> to ld(1); see its info pages.

Isn't out there a Linux function or command that creates libraries (the
truth is out there!)? I once saw such a function when I was compiling I
don't remember which program.

My idea is to make dynamic binding of libraries automated, that each program
looks for its libraries in its own directory. I think the only way to do
that is at compile time.
Anyway, I'm going to take a look into ld.so.conf (I haven't done it yet).

Or maybe I can create one shell script per application that changes
LD_LIBRARY_PATH as needed.

Thanks in advance!
See you! (Hasta la vista!)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Sherwin)
Crossposted-To: msu.linux.misc,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: redhat 5.1 iso or cd
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 08:47:18 GMT

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 11:30:49 -0500, Zeyong Shan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>hi desperately need a redhat 5.1 [5.1!] cd or iso.
>
>please send me a link or contact me via email.

5.1 is a rare distribution. There were lots of copies of 5.0 about -
it was given away with lots of Linux books. Here in the UK copies of
Sam's 'Linux in 24 hours' with this distro are floating around
remainder bookshops as a new edition has been published (with Caldera
IIRC). 5.2 has been given away as a magazine cover disk many times.
Check your local magazine CD websites, or if you can order from the UK
try http://www.covercd.co.uk.

If all else fails and you can manage with 5.0 or 5.2, send me an email
and we'll talk about burning a CD for you.

HTH, Paul

Paul Sherwin Consulting     22 Monmouth Road, Oxford OX1 4TD, UK
Phone  +44 (0)1865 721438   http://www.telinco.co.uk/psherwin/index.htm
Mobile +44 (0)7931 578334   mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pager  +44 (0)7666 797228

------------------------------

From: "Doug" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.shell
Subject: sed and RE's ?
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 19:21:32 +1000

Hello all,

I'm trying, without much success to use sed to find "/blaa/" and replace it
with
"http://www.abc.com/blaa/".

sed -e s/\/blaa\//http:\/\/www\.abc\.com\/blaa\//g filename > outfile

doesn't work as the forward slashes aren't being escaped properly.
I know that you can use different delimiters and I've tried single quotes
etc.
But nothing seems to work.
Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin Gruber)
Subject: Re: I/O and IRQ port conflicts
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 12:01:52 +0200

In article <8bpjhc$6dk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Corry Parrott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> does any one know how to fix an IRQ port conflict....  i cant configure my
> PCI modem correctly because it is trying to use the same IRQ as my video....
The PCI-Bus is able to share interrupts so usually it isn't necessary to
have different Interrupts for all PCI-Cards. Maybe one of the two drivers
doesn't support shared interrupts. I think you'll have to edit the
PCI-Slot - IRQ-assignment-table in your BIOS so that the slots get different
IRQs assigned.

Martin

------------------------------

From: Andreas Kahari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.shell
Subject: Re: sed and RE's ?
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 10:03:24 GMT

In article <8bptif$ieg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"Doug" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying, without much success to use sed to find "/blaa/" and
replace it
> with
> "http://www.abc.com/blaa/".
>
> sed -e s/\/blaa\//http:\/\/www\.abc\.com\/blaa\//g filename > outfile
>
> doesn't work as the forward slashes aren't being escaped properly.
> I know that you can use different delimiters and I've tried single
quotes
> etc.
> But nothing seems to work.
> Any help would really be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Doug

sed -e s\#/blaa/#http://www.abc.com/blaa/#g infile > outfile

There's no need to escape the dots in the replacement pattern. If you
use the \cREc way to write the RE (as described in the manual) you don't
need to escape the '/'s either.

/A

--
# Andreas Kähäri, <URL:http://hello.to/andkaha/>
# Scandinavinans, without us "thursday" wouldn't exist!

Crossposted-To: comp.unix.shell
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles Demas)
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 10:29:48 GMT

Doug <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I'm trying, without much success to use sed to find "/blaa/" and replace it
>with
>"http://www.abc.com/blaa/".
>
>sed -e s/\/blaa\//http:\/\/www\.abc\.com\/blaa\//g filename > outfile
>
>doesn't work as the forward slashes aren't being escaped properly.
>I know that you can use different delimiters and I've tried single quotes
>etc.
>But nothing seems to work.
>Any help would really be appreciated.

Here's one way:

sed -e 's#/blaa/#http://www.abc.com/blaa/#g' filename > outfile

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

--
  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: find and grep ?
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:22:43 -0600

> > I wonder.  I always use the backticks.  I've been under the impression
> > that most people do.  I don't know.
> >
> > In any case, command substitution is not a good idea for this problem. You
> > are, in effect, putting the names of many many files on the command line.
> > In practice there is a limit to the length of the command line which you
> > may easily exceed.  Example: go to your root directory '/' and try
> >
> > grep blahblah `find . -print`
> >
> > You're just about guaranteed to get an error message about the argument
> > list being too long.
> >
> > You are better off using -exec
> >
> > find . -name "*.html" -exec grep blahblah {} \;
> >
> > or xargs
> >
> > find . -name "*.html" | xargs grep blahblah
>
> I don't disagree with you at all; xargs would have been the way I would
> have gone. However, command substitution is a remarkably flexible way to
> do things and the modern $(...) delineation is much less liable to error
> than back quotes which can be misread and miscounted very easily. There
> is a very good discussion in "Learning the Bash Shell" by Newham and
> Rosenblatt (O'Reilly) where it is shown how command substitutions can be
> nested. The book is one I would recommend to anyone using Linux and
> hence bash.

Nor do I disagree with you.  I use command substitution a lot.  One should
be aware of its pitfalls.  While it's true that backticks can be misread,
I've also misread $(...) as ${...} and vice versa.  Of course, at 3 AM
I've misread just everything.