From: "Dan \"Atmosphere Platypus #1\"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Does anyone have experience with NFS, Redhat (Sparc) and Diskless root?
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 11:20:09 +0100

If so, I could do with a hand: This is my problem, peeps:
Dear Sparc list,
I've checked the archives and found tantilising references to the problem that I have,
but no real solution. So I've
decided to ask for help.

I have a rackmounted set of 1*Sparc10 , 2*Sparc5, and 4*Sparc 2. All have onboard
memory, scsi ethernet etcetera.
I want to diskless-boot these cards via the network.  On the same thin-client network
segment is a SparcStation 2, which
I have set up to be the server. OS is redhat linux 6.2 kernel 2-2.14-5.
 At the moment I am concetration on booting one of the machines. I've also stuck a
mono graphics card into the SBUS slot
of this sparc 5 for diagnostic purposes.

I've set up rarp and arp fine, and the Sparc 5 loads my compiled-for-nfs-root kernel
fine when given a boot net command.
Kernel boots, Penguin appears in corner, detects everything fine and gets it's IP.
Then it does not mount it;s /
filesystem.
Exports are set correctly.

In /tftpboot of the sparc2 I have kernel images appropriatly named for the network
addresses of the machines, and a
directory /tftpboot/10.0.0.2 which is a symlink to /home/tftpboot/10.0.0.2 (due to
space considerations).
in this directory I have symlinks to /bin /boot /etc /lib /sbin /usr.
I created dev and copied all devices into it.
created lost+found and proc (copied /proc into it)
created var
<<NB this is now incorrect. only /lib /usr and /boot are linked now. Everything else
is copied>>

However, It won't boot!

"... autorun DONE.
looking up port of RPC 100003/2 on 10.255.255.254
looking up port of RPC 100005/1 on 10.255.255.254
Root-NFS: Server returned error -13 while mounting tftpboot/10.0.0.2
VFS: unable to mount root filesystem via NFS, try floppy"

TCPDUMP

14:34:30.168508 eth0 > bozo.info.bt.co.uk.1032 > sparc51.cluster.info.bt.co.uk.9801:
udp 516
14:34:30.173123 eth0 < sparc51.cluster.info.bt.co.uk.9801 > bozo.info.bt.co.uk.1032:
udp 4
14:34:30.173796 eth0 > bozo.info.bt.co.uk.1032 > sparc51.cluster.info.bt.co.uk.9801:
udp 516
14:34:30.178370 eth0 < sparc51.cluster.info.bt.co.uk.9801 > bozo.info.bt.co.uk.1032:
udp 4
14:34:30.179095 eth0 > bozo.info.bt.co.uk.1032 > sparc51.cluster.info.bt.co.uk.9801:
udp 516
14:34:30.183750 eth0 < sparc51.cluster.info.bt.co.uk.9801 > bozo.info.bt.co.uk.1032:
udp 4
14:34:30.184407 eth0 > bozo.info.bt.co.uk.1032 > sparc51.cluster.info.bt.co.uk.9801:
udp 269
14:34:30.186560 eth0 < sparc51.cluster.info.bt.co.uk.9801 > bozo.info.bt.co.uk.1032:
udp 4
<---------- loaded kernel----------->
14:34:34.186605 eth0 B rarp who-is sparc51 tell sparc51
14:34:34.187032 eth0 > rarp reply sparc51 at sparc51.cluster.info.bt.co.uk
14:34:39.368130 eth0 B arp who-has bozo.info.bt.co.uk tell
sparc51.cluster.info.bt.co.uk
14:34:39.368377 eth0 > arp reply bozo.info.bt.co.uk (8:0:20:e:5c:7e) is-at
8:0:20:e:5c:7e (sparc51)
14:34:39.369099 eth0 < sparc51.cluster.info.bt.co.uk.800 > bozo.info.bt.co.uk.sunrpc:
udp 56
14:34:39.375241 eth0 > bozo.info.bt.co.uk.sunrpc > sparc51.cluster.info.bt.co.uk.800:
udp 28
14:34:39.387860 eth0 < sparc51.cluster.info.bt.co.uk.800 > bozo.info.bt.co.uk.sunrpc:
udp 56
14:34:39.393460 eth0 > bozo.info.bt.co.uk.sunrpc > sparc51.cluster.info.bt.co.uk.800:
udp 28
14:34:39.394837 eth0 < sparc51.cluster.info.bt.co.uk.800 > bozo.info.bt.co.uk.684: udp
64
14:34:39.425027 eth0 > bozo.info.bt.co.uk.684 > sparc51.cluster.info.bt.co.uk.800: udp
28

Any answers to the questions apart from RTFC?

dan

------------------------------

From: NDQ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RH6.1 and /etc/cron.daily question
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 12:08:15 +0200

Hi,
I use RH6.1. In directory /etc/cron.daily I see a lot of script for
daily executing.
But my daily cron job now runs at 10:00 AM !
I would like to redefine the executing time at 1:00AM, how to do that ?

Thanks in advance,
--
Nguyên-Ðai Quý

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH6.1 and /etc/cron.daily question
Date: 8 Jun 2000 10:23:12 GMT

NDQ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: I use RH6.1. In directory /etc/cron.daily I see a lot of script for
: daily executing.
: But my daily cron job now runs at 10:00 AM !
: I would like to redefine the executing time at 1:00AM, how to do that ?

It really depends how the jobs in cron.daily are run. Only a redhat 6.1
owner can investigate that. But look at /etc/crontab and see if you can
figure it out from there. I would expect to see something that removes
a blocking file in a related place, or maybe something that explicitly
runs the jobs in cron.daily.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Manuel Schoemburg)
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 00 02:40:08 +0200
Subject: Linux based companies

Moin Vikram.

05 Jun 00 20:14, Vikram V Asrani mailte an All:

 > Does any one know of any linux based companies / companies doing work with
 > the linux OS which are NOT located in California ?

Sixt Car-Rentals, Germany  (http://www.sixt.de)

Manuel

... PPPS: Knock, Knock, Neo.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Can't Install Ethernet Card after Linux is already Installed
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 10:32:15 GMT

Hello, we have RH 6.2 & installed a ISA Ether16 LAN card after we
already installed the OS. We turned off Plug & Play via the card's
setup utility, which says it is i/o base address: 300 and interrupt
number 3.  When we re-boot the machine, we can not even ping: bash:
ping: command not found
When we do ifconfig -a we get:
lo Link encap: Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTO:3924 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
When the system is shutting down, it says:
ne.c no PCI cards found. use "io=0xNNN" value for ISA cards
How do we designate the io="0xNNN"?

When the system is starting up, it says:
Bringing up interface lo
Bringing up eth0 insmod: /lib/modules/2.2..(too fast to read)..
Delaying eth0 initialization

We are still booting from the boot disk that created the OS
installation; do we need to make a new disk since we added an ethernet
card or is there a way to add the card without re-installing the OS?

Cheers,
rt

From: Stephen Cornell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where can i get XBF-neomagic-glibc-1.0.0-1.i386.rpm ?
Date: 08 Jun 2000 11:43:39 +0100

Norman Levin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> ** I don't know about that.  Many times on a reboot, my 800*600 LCD
> (IBM 385ED) will show the windows flash screen at 2/3 screen size
> during a boot.  When the desktop opens, the screen goes full size.
> However, when I reboot to Linux, the lilo prompt will often NOT be
> at the left edge but is deplaced in as if it were at the left edge
> of the 2/3 size screen.  Once linux starts to come up and I start
> getting messages from inittab processes, messages go full screen.

You may be right; the XFree driver for my video chipset has an option
that decides whether X is zoomed to fill the whole screen when at a
different resolution from the physical one.  There is also an option
in the BIOS that decides whether the console is zoomed to fill the
whole screen.  The Windows and Linux drivers may well be playing with
this.

--
Stephen Cornell          [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Tel/fax +44-1223-336644
University of Cambridge, Zoology Department, Downing Street, CAMBRIDGE CB2 3EJ

------------------------------

From: Stephen Cornell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Matlab or MathCad Like Programs
Date: 08 Jun 2000 11:54:48 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH) writes:
>       Check today's edition of IceWalkers (www.icewalk.com).

Could you be a little more specific?  I has a look, and could not find
any reference to the type of software this guy is looking for.

From: "Jacob Eskildsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Trouble booting with loadlin from win98's boot.ini !
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 13:12:10 +0200

Hi!
I have tried using the following setup, with win98, win2000 and Linux
Mandrake as multiboot system.
(I tried Lilo, and didnt like it: when I should use windows I had to type
"windows", and then I could choose between win98 and win2000; but there is
probably also a better way for this)

boot.ini:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=C:\
[operating systems]
C:\="Microsoft Windows"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
Professional" /fastdetect
C:\Linux.bat="Linux Mandrake"

C:\Linux.bat:
loadlin.exe vmlinuz root=/dev/hda7 ro

loadlin.exe and vmlinuz is in C:\

The Problem: When "Linux Mandrake" is choosen, it just dont start. What's
wrong?
It would be nice if anybody could point to what is wrong.

Thanks in advance

Best Regards: Jacob Eskildsen

------------------------------

From: NDQ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 13:11:49 +0200

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> NDQ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : I use RH6.1. In directory /etc/cron.daily I see a lot of script for
> : daily executing.
> : But my daily cron job now runs at 10:00 AM !
> : I would like to redefine the executing time at 1:00AM, how to do that ?
>
> It really depends how the jobs in cron.daily are run. Only a redhat 6.1
> owner can investigate that. But look at /etc/crontab and see if you can
> figure it out from there.

In this file I have :

02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily

But this job was executed at 10:OO AM ??? :-(

I'm not understand :-)
Q.

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem, Soundcard, and Zip Drive Problems
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 11:15:38 GMT

  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows),
  In a message on 07 Jun 2000 22:00:39 EDT, wrote :

DWC> On Thu, 08 Jun 2000 01:25:23 GMT, Paul Eisenberg
DWC> <<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
DWC> >Hello.  I apologize for not looking into this more, and hopefully this
DWC> >isn't too much of a ignorant question, I just am in a rush to get
DWC> >everything working.
DWC>
DWC> "They stumble that run fast."
DWC>
DWC> >soundcard, and zip drive all do not work.  I have a US Robotics
DWC> >V.90/56K Modem, my soundcard is a TBS Montego II, and the zip drive is
DWC> >just an iomega 100 one.
DWC>
DWC> Modem:  http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/ and make sure it's not a
DWC> LoseModem.  If it is, rip it out of the machine and go buy a Real Modem.
DWC>
DWC> Soundcard:  not sure.  "Montego" isn't mentioned in the kernel docs for
DWC> even the development kernel.
DWC>
DWC> ZIP:  Well, they all work, but you failed to mention how the drive's
DWC> attached.  Is it a parallel-port drive, a USB drive, a SCSI drive, or an
DWC> internal IDE drive?  I'll go with the internal IDE drive as those are the
DWC> most common:

USB is not supported by the production x86 (Intel) kernels, so if it is
a USB Zip drive, it won't work.  Parallel-port Zip drives are tricky,
due to interaction with parallel printers.  Also, the parallel-port Zip
drive needs to have the ppa module loaded in order to be seen -- the ppa
is not loaded automagically.  Internal IDE all SCSI drives should 'just
show up' as additional hard drives.  Note: we got a Gateway with an
Internal IDE Zip, that was mis-wired -- the machine has a SCSI disk and
had both an IDE CD-ROM drive and a internal IDE Zip.  The Gateway tech,
set the CD-ROM as a master and connected it to the first IDE controller
and left the internal IDE Zip as a slave and used a *separate* IDE cable
and wired it to the second controller.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.  We pulled off
the *extra* IDE cable and plugged second connector on the CD-ROM's IDE
cable into the internal IDE Zip (the way things *should* have been wired.

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Ferdinand V. Mendoza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: WinNT/Mandrake7.1 dual boot
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 15:38:23 +0400

I want to dual boot an existing winNT system and
Linux, probably Mandrake 7.1. I will do some kind
of hard disc installation and I need to put the
Mandrake and base directories in an NTFS partition.
My question is, would a Linux installation recognize an
NTFS partition? I don't have any problems before with
Fat16/32 partitions.
Thanks in advance.

Ferdinand

------------------------------

From: Chris Lowth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: group/user nobody
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 11:05:45 +0100

No -- there is no "standard" uid value for "nobody" in the unix world. If
you want to know the uid, pull it out of the /etc/passwd file using a
command line..

        awk -F: < /etc/passwd '$1 == "nobody" { print $3 }'

However, most shell commands that want a uid can also take a user name, so
you can say

        chown 99 my-file
or
        chown nobody my-file

The latter is *far* more portable.

Chris.

--
>From Chris Lowth
---
My Real e-mail address is (roughly):
        chris
        <AT> lowth
        <DOT> com
(Silly over-parnoid anti-spam measure)

------------------------------

From: Chris Lowth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Shortcut to directory
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 10:35:31 +0100

Symbolic links are one way. Use the shell command

        ln -s FULL-path-of-existing-directory name-of-link-to-create

See

        "man 1 ln"

Chris

--
>From Chris Lowth
---

From: Casper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.suse,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.linux
Subject: gnome
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 13:44:14 +0200

hi

i'm compiling gnome on my suse 6.2 linux box, but to compile,
gnome-utils-1.2.0 i need e2fsprogs and e2fsprogs-devel. Where can i find
that package??? I don't find it on the gnome-site.

tx