From: Keith Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: newbie distros do they really exist?
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 22:28:40 -0500

franc|um the newbie wrote:

> [...]
> > set-up. As I stated above if I had used a distro like mandrake7.0 to start
> > with I'd be three months ahead by now.
> >
> > I also tried Turbo Linux 6.0a it's different to the others but worked.
> >
> > Mandrake 7.0. Is definitely an improvement on older distributions.
> > It offers a lot of choice to the newbie gnome, KDE and lots of already
> > updated software.
> >
> > Let's face it Mandrake is Redhat with lots of updates applied and some nice
> > additional touches.
> > (Graphical install - definitely a winner in my book)
> >
> > Mandrake took me 4 attempts to get it working on an old works gateway
> > machine PIII 366MHZ.
> > I found the problem was simply the installer just don't like you changing
> > your mind half way through.
> > I now have a multiple booting NT4.0/dos6.22/Mandrake PC - cool.
> >
> > On my home PC (AMD K6 II 350) It took one go to get all.
> > i.e sblive value, 3COM100MB/s network card (3c509XL),
> > TNT Nvidia AGP graphics card (diamond Viper 550) and dial-up networking
> > all functioning correctly first time without any changes needed at all.
> >
> > Just as a matter of interest I've worked in the industry for about 15 years
> > and have recently
> > been involved in a year long move to NT4.0 from Unix character based
> > technology
> > and I really think that NT4.0 isn't a newbie distro either - in fact a pile
> > of ____ springs to mind.
> > To get it to work without fault is an achievement in itself and something I
> > would never recommend to a newbie user.
> >
> > Just my little bit,
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > "Flounder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > I want to know what makes mandrake a newbie distro? Most people that
> > > say Redhat is not a newbie distro say Mandrake is but why? They are
> > > pretty much the same. Mandrake you can do all the same stuff you can
> > > on redhat, slack, debian and all these other "elite" distros. I have
> > > used all these distros and like them all but I have been a linux users
> > > for 2 years and have found that you can do all the same things on all
> > > these systems. People just seem to think if it is harder it is better.
> > > dselect on debian is easy to use so why is debian not a newbie distro.
> > > I started on slack and am still here why isn't a newbie distro I ran
> > > it as a newbie. I think the reason why people think Mandrake is a
> > > newbie system is because it is newer than all those so they think
> > > since it hasn't been around as long it is a newbie distro. I want to
> > > know what you all think. Tell me what you think is a newbie distro and
> > > what makes it that way. Real reason not just like uuuh.... because you
> > > an't cool unless you have to uuuh... just because I like so and so
> > > distro so the ones I don't like are newbie distros.
> > > I do not mean to start a flame war I want serious answers please with
> > > valid reasons. I mean linux is linux is linux.

I think his III key is stuck :)

--
Keith Brown

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Subject: Re: client in a NT domain
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 03:28:08 GMT

On Wed, 21 Jun 2000 23:41:38 GMT, Natanael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have spent this night reading about samba and NT.
>
>I am wondering: how do I automate the NT domain logon and
>mounting shares on the NT? I want to mount NT shares on my
>linux on startup.

Just add lines to /etc/fstab that look something like:

//server/path  /mount/point  smb   <options>  0 0

The <options> will have to specify the NT-Domain username and
password in plaintext (unfortunately).  The <options> can also
specify what uid/gid is to own the mounted files.

$ man fstab
$ man smbmount

I don't have smb installed on this machine, so you'll have to
do look at the smbmount man page to find the format for the
options.  If you can't figure it out from that, drop me an
e-mail and tomorrow I'll look at the /etc/fstab file on one of
my other machines that does have smb stuff installed.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Oh my GOD -- the
                                  at               SUN just fell into YANKEE

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: CGI script doesn't execute
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 03:23:30 GMT

I have changed <Directory /home/httpd/cgi-bin> to
<Directory /home/httpd/os_allcommerce-1.0.1> and its content is:
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

From: Nick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Corel Install Just Dies
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 03:30:06 GMT

Tom Loach wrote:

> I'm trying to install the Standard version of Corel.  Since my pc
> doesn't boot from CD ROM, I used the boot diskette.  I get an opening
> screen telling me it's loading the OS and then just dies.
> Does it just take an long time to load or is there something else
> causing the problem?  I sent a email message to corel, but haven't
> heard from them yet (so much for 2 business day turnaround).
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

Tom, I have had the same problem as you.  Exactly.  Just yesterday I
bought Corel Linux at Best Buy.  When I tried to install it, it says it is
installing, then dies.  I went back to Best Buy and a couple of the
salesman there said my video card probably wasn't compatible, and it
wouldn't work on my system.  I don't know if this is the case with your
computer, so I'd take it to the place you bought it and see if they can
help.

P.S.  What kind of computer do you have?  Maybe our systems are similar
and we could figure out if that is the problem.  Also, installation quit
before the step with the user name and password, how about yours?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Subject: Re: send mail from shell script
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 03:31:45 GMT

On Wed, 21 Jun 2000 21:12:46 -0400, Dennis D <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I want to use the following command within a shell script to
>automatically send e-mail with the output of a program:
>  mail -s subject user@host < file
>
>When I run the script my ISP returns the mail with fatal error
>messages:
>  While talking to mx06.mindspring.com ...
>  550 - Mindspring mail servers are unable to deliver ...
>
>I can send e-mail using Pine which points to my ISP's SMTP mail
>server.  But I don't if Pine will do what I want to do from
>within my shell script, so that's why I am trying to use mail.

Is pine talking directly to the SMTP server, or is it handing
mail to the local copy of sendmail which then forwards it on to
the SMTP server?

>Is my problem sendmail related?  I have no clue how to configure.
>(newbie here)

You probably need to set the "smart host" field in the
sendmail.cf file to point to your ISP.  I more-or-less gave up
on sendmail and now use qmail for my systems that have full-up
mail services with queueing et al, and ssmtp for systems where
I just want mail shoved directly off to an SMTP server sans
queueing.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I think my career
                                  at               is ruined!

------------------------------

From: Kheng-Teong Goh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Help finding time daemon for Slackware 7
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 11:25:16 +0800

Red Hat 6.2 come with a few software. You can try intimed and timed from
them.  Their rpm is in binary should be very to be installed on Slackware 7
using rpm2targz and installpkg. Do some search in Red Hat  homepage.

Kheng Teong

------------------------------

From: davidc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to start X windows under RH linux?
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 03:47:51 GMT

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Adam Hill wrote:
>I believe its: startx
>
>Adam
>
>"Lu Bingwen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:8ine6j$fqo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> I am a Linux newbie. I just installed RedHat Linux 6.2 server version.
>> However, I have no idea how to start X windows (Gnome) after I login. Any
>> suggestion? Send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Thanks a lot a lot.
>>
>> ben

Actually, there could be more to it.  If you loaded RH6.2 and just chose the
server install.. X11 / XFree may not have been loaded.  You would have to
install the XFree86 / X11 base and then maybe use Xconfigurator to set it up.
I ran into this the last couple of days.  Luckly for me, nothing's on the
server yet. so my easiest fix it to just reload picking CUSTOM instead of
server and make sure the Xwindows stuff as well as the servers I want are
loaded.

David.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 03:48:30 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Dennis D <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> hello,
>
> I want to use the following command within a shell script to
> automatically send e-mail with the output of a program:
>   mail -s subject user@host < file
>
> When I run the script my ISP returns the mail with fatal error
> messages:
>   While talking to mx06.mindspring.com ...
>   550 - Mindspring mail servers are unable to deliver ...
>
> I can send e-mail using Pine which points to my ISP's SMTP mail
> server.  But I don't if Pine will do what I want to do from within
> my shell script, so that's why I am trying to use mail.
>
> Is my problem sendmail related?  I have no clue how to configure.
> (newbie here)
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Many thanks in advance...
>
> Dennis

Hi Dennis, I often use this perl script I wrote (modified from another
program actually). If you save it as 'perlmail', you can use something
like this in your script:

cat file | perlmail some.smtp.server from@address to@address subject

perlmail will of course have to be executable, and reside somewhere
along your PATH.

#!/usr/bin/perl -w use IO::Socket; unless (@ARGV == 4) { die "usage: $0
smtp-host from-address to-address subject-line\n" } ($host, $from, $to,
$subject) = @ARGV; $hostname = system("hostname >/dev/null"); $body =
<STDIN>; while (<STDIN>) {  $body = "$body" . "$_";  if ("$_" =~ /^.$/) {
last } } $remote = IO::Socket::INET->new( Proto => "tcp", PeerAddr => $host,
PeerPort => "smtp(25)", ); unless ($remote) { die "cannot connect to smtp
daemon on $host" } $remote->autoflush(1); printf $remote "helo %s\nmail from:
%s\nrcpt to: %s\ndata\nSubject: %s\nFrom: %s \nTo: %s\n\n%s\n.\nquit\n",
$hostname, $from, $to, $subject, $from, $to, $body;

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mary P)
Subject: Re: XF86Config and startx
Date: 22 Jun 2000 03:54:27 GMT

>> OK, so am I gonna have to add an entry in the /etc/xf86config
>> file for a specific mode for my video card and monitor ???
>> But I have no idea where to get the right figures to put in!
>> Chat d'Gouttière...through the news!

try this document:
ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/XFree86-Video-Timings-HOWTO

HTH,
MP
--
    _
   . .

------------------------------

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Can't get Netscape Radio to work!! Strange.
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 21:01:50 -0700

I am running Netscape 4.73 under RH6.2 but I cannot run Netscape Radio.
I have RealPlayer 7 installed.
I have no problem with RealPlayer.  I can listen music to
www.spinner.com using Spinner Lite 3.0
This is strange because www.spinner.com feeds the music to Netscape
Radio.
Spinner Lite 3.0 acts like Netscape Radio which is even stranger.
I can listen to Netscape Radio at the plug in test.
http://radio.netscape.com/radio/check-plugin.html
When I select YES to the question "Do you hear RealAudio?"
It goes to http://spinner.netscape.com/player.html but I cannot hear
anything.  There is no streaming of any music because my
ADSL modem shows no activity.

I hope you can help me.

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

From: Paul Pelzl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Moving windows in X using ALT
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 04:10:14 GMT

The behavior you are talking about is controlled by the window manager
you are using, not by X itself.  If you're using Mandrake you're
probably using KDE, in which case you would go to KDE Control Center ->
Window Behavior -> Mouse.

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
huh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Before I upgraded to Mandrake 7.1, I could use the ALT key and the
mouse to move windows by clicking anywhere in them. Now ALT is useless.
How do I set that up again?? Thanks.

From: "Josh H. Turiel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: ne.internet.services
Subject: Re: GNU/LINUX at city of Boston Public Library departments
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 23:18:11 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Floyd Davidson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I wouldn't touch MS Word with a ten foot pole.  And I have *never*
>formatted equations, complex or otherwise.  The simple fact is that
>LateX  (actually I prefer plain TeX) produces superior documents,
>and that is why I use it.
>
>I've seen *huge* numbers of terrible looking documents coming from
>people who use Word and similar software.  What I see from people
>who use LateX is several steps better.

OK, I've got to jump into this one:

When I produce a business document, the content is a damn sight more
important than the appearance.  That said, I am a happy MacOS and Linux
user in my home life who see no smart reason to introduce either in my
workplace (and I am the person at my company who could do so).  I use vi
for quick editing work often - for things like configuration file
editing it's fast and efficient.  I certainly wouldn't dream of using it
to do my major document creation and editing, though.  Word is bloated
as hell, and it's from the Beast, but it can do everything I need in a
word processor, which is:

1: Put everything I type on the screen where I want it to appear.
2: Make it pretty easy (a couple of clicks or a keystroke) for me to
make the text look the way I want it to.
3: Show me a reasonable approximation of what it will look like when
printed.
4: Put the characters on-screen as fast as I type them.
5: Make it possible for me to automate a few things that I do often.

I mean, that's what word processing is all about, in a nutshell.  LateX
is a fine document preparation tool for some things, but suggesting that
it can be an office word processing solution is silly.  I really don't
see the economic benefit to my company or myself in replacing a decent
system that, warts and all, does an acceptable job of running the daily
business requirements of the company for the sake of doing the PC thing
with operating systems.  Superior _writers_ produce superior documents,
and it doesn't matter for squat what they use to produce it.  It's not
the tool, it's the tool user.

And if you're more interested in the appearance of the document than the
content itself, you're making a grave, career-limiting mistake.
Approximately 100% of the people who will ever be above you in your
career don't give a damn about the superior letterspacing of LateX when
you hand them a report.  If you write intelligently and clearly, they
don't really care if you use an old Apple IIe to produce your stuff so
long as it's legible and in the correct language.

Linux today is a wonderful alternative for servers (and I do use it
there), and a viable option for some users in some organizations.  But
suggesting that Linux, vi, and LateX is actually an ideal solution for
the mainstream office is, to drag out the old chestnut, a classic
example of "if the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like
a nail".  Word may suck, regardless of platform, but it's the right tool
most of the time.  Other commercial-quality word processors can be an
acceptable substitute.

If you suggested StarOffice 5.2 on Linux, or WordPerfect Office, I'd
have given this whole discussion a lot more credibility.  At least
that's a legitimate option for the "typical user".

--
-Josh Turiel                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes

------------------------------

From: Kevin Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Apache Problem
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 04:24:08 GMT

Hi,

I read several the FAQ and some documentation but I am still stuck on an
issue with Apache.  I have two user accounts on my linux box, user1 and
user2.  I have virtual hosts set up in apache for each user.  The
httpd.conf looks something like this.  I want each user account to have
a cgi-bin directory. My httpd.conf looks something like this.  Problem
described after httpd.conf.

(Main Server)
script alias /home/httpd/cgi-bin/ /cgi-bin/

<Directory "/home/httpd/cgi-bin">
AllowOverride None
Options  execcgi
order allow,deny
allow from all

authtype basic
satisfy all
serversignature off
</directory>

NameVirtualHost my.IP:80

<virtualhost my.IP:80>
serveradmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
documentroot /home/user1/httpd/html
servername www.user1.com

serversignature off

</virtualhost>

<virtualhost my.IP:80>

serveradmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
documentroot /home/user2/httpd/html
servername www.user2.com

alias /icons/ /home/user2/httpd/icons/

<directory "/home/user2/httpd/icons">

Options  indexes  multiviews
AllowOverride None
order allow,deny
allow from all
</directory>

(I think this may be part of the problem)

scriptalias /cgi-bin/ /home/user2/httpd/cgi-bin/

<directory "/home/user2/httpd/cgi-bin">

AllowOverride None
Options  execcgi
order allow,deny
allow from all
</directory>
</virtualhost>

The problem is when I try to click on a URL on www.user2.com that
contain cgi scripts I get an error that saying that the URL is not
found on this server.  After checking the error logs i see that it is
trying to load the the script from /home/httpd/cgi-bin, not
/home/user2/cgi-bin like I want.  As an experiment I commented out the
first script alias line in the main server config. area.  I get the same
error message but in the logs it shows it trying to load
/home/user1/httpd/cgi-bin.  This dir. is not defined any where on my
machine.  It almost looks like you can have only on script alias defined
and Apache goes with the first one and ignores the rest.

I have read that the use of the function ScriptAliasMatch can be used
and there are ways of executing scripts from non cgi-bin directories and
I think this will solve my problem but I'm not clear on the best way to
use these functions (should they be executed in the main server config
area or in my virtual host area...etc)

Whew, that was a long one.  Hopefully someone can point me in the right
direction.  I included the parts that I thought were relevant.

Thanks
Kevin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How to detect a program is being traced
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 04:33:16 GMT

Is there any way for a C program to detect whether it's being traced
(by tools like strace and gdb) or not? For security, the UNIX/Linux OS
should provide a way for a program to turn on and off the capability
for other process to trace/debug it. If you know anything about it,
please send a email to me, thanks a lot.

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: ne.internet.services
Date: 21 Jun 2000 19:47:12 -0800

"Josh H. Turiel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>The simple fact is that LateX (actually I prefer plain TeX)
>>produces superior documents, and that is why I use it.
>>
>>I've seen *huge* numbers of terrible looking documents coming from
>>people who use Word and similar software.  What I see from people
>>who use LateX is several steps better.
>>

>OK, I've got to jump into this one:
>
>When I produce a business document, the content is a damn sight more
>important than the appearance.
>And if you're more interested in the appearance of the document than the
>content itself, you're making a grave, career-limiting mistake.
>Approximately 100% of the people who will ever be above you in your
>career don't give a damn about the superior letterspacing of LateX when
>you hand them a report.  If you write intelligently and clearly, they
>don't really care if you use an old Apple IIe to produce your stuff so
>long as it's legible and in the correct language.

If you write intelligently and clearly, and produce a poorly
formatted document you are fooling yourself if you think it
is as good as the same document would be with a polished,
professional appearance.  Your competitor may not be that
foolish.

>Linux today is a wonderful alternative for servers (and I do use it
>there), and a viable option for some users in some organizations.  But
>suggesting that Linux, vi, and LateX is actually an ideal solution for
>the mainstream office is, to drag out the old chestnut, a classic
>example of "if the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like
>a nail".  Word may suck, regardless of platform, but it's the right tool
>most of the time.  Other commercial-quality word processors can be an
>acceptable substitute.
>
>If you suggested StarOffice 5.2 on Linux, or WordPerfect Office, I'd
>have given this whole discussion a lot more credibility.  At least
>that's a legitimate option for the "typical user".

Not if they need top quality.

What you are saying reminds me of people who buy the most
expensive, highest quality stereo amp and tuner they can find,
and then put in a $50 pair of speakers to listen to it with.
That intelligent, clearly written document formatted with
Word...

--
Floyd L. Davidson                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)