From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: ne.internet.services
Subject: Re: GNU/LINUX at city of Boston Public Library departments
Date: 22 Jun 2000 17:21:08 -0800

David Gallardo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Your analogy is poor primarily because you are comparing software (vi
>+ latex) with hardware ($50 speakers).

Such analogies are not meant to provide a one to one relationship,
only to demonstrate a single point in common.  The reason it is
a good analogy is specifically *because* one is software and the
other is not.

>You are nonetheless correct in implying that it is the
>hardware, which produces the tangible result, that ultimately
>limits the quality of the output.

You are, fortunately, wrong!

First, the point had nothing to do with hardware or software.
It had to do with generating good information, whether that
is a written document or recorded music, and then accessing
it using inferior means, such as formatting it with Word.

Second, your following point:

>Does it matter that vi + latex in theory can produce a better
>looking document if your system can only print on an ancient
>300 dpi postscript printer (ignoring the intolerable glacial
>rate) & not the latest & fastest color laserjet?

Please tell me when vi & LaTeX were unable to use the latest &
fastest color laserjet?  Some of the nicest color documents that
I personally ever produced were done 4-5 years ago, using XEmacs
and plain TeX and printed on a $6000 color laserjet.

I can't afford such printers at home, and merely use an HP
DeskJet 1600C, color printer.

>Nowadays you can easily produce some pretty flashy brochures
>with near-photo quality images using common MS applications &
>the new generation of printers--certain to impress the
>superficial folks who can't be bothered by content.

You can produce even prettier and more flashy brochures
using vi/Emacs/XEmacs and TeX/LaTeX.  Matter of fact, the
last "flashy brochure" that I made was a menu for the
daily lunch specials at a local Sushi Bar.  The whole point
was that I could typeset it just as easily as a local print
shop, at practically no cost.  Using common MS applications
wasn't even in the running...

  Floyd

--
Floyd L. Davidson                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

------------------------------

From: Randall Lee Mackie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: PMFirewall and ip-up
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 18:37:12 -0700

This is my ip-up.local script, which works with PMFirewall:

#!/bin/sh
#
# start pmfirewall
#
sh /usr/local/pmfirewall/pmfirewall start

------------------------------

From: Glenn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Backup hard drive to CD directly with Linux Prog??
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 02:25:52 GMT

"David M. Cook" wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 00:28:59 GMT, Glenn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Is there a way to backup yor Linux partitions to a CD in one step? What
> >about spanning multiple CDs?
>
> linuxjournal.com has a series of articles on this in the system
> administration section.
>
> Dave Cook

Hi,

Thanks for the input. I found a program called "backburner" which may be
what I'm after. The other option recommended was ghost, but image file
creation is required first before the burn - still not bad.

glenn
=====

------------------------------

From: Glenn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: network card and modem setup
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 02:47:07 GMT

TAJ wrote:

> Hey guys.  I just came over from the other side (MS-Windows world), and I've
> been trying to figure out how to set up my modem and ethernet card under Red
> Hat Linux 6.1.  It doesn't seem to be any type of generic driver setup like
> under Windows.  If somebody could help me, or point me to a FAQ that can
> help, I'd appreciate it.
>
> TAJ

Hi,

I just went through the ethernet setup and found the page below to be
good. Note the HOWTO link at the top, these are always the best place to
start. You need to make sure your hardware is supported by checking the
lists provided in the HOWTO. You can sometimes find support even if it
is not listed from the manufacturer's web site and other users, via DEJA
News searches. After you determine that it is supported you must have or
compile in a kernel module to provide the driver support, i.e., you just
don't load the drivers like in Windoze.

http://www.scrounge.org/linux/nics.htm

For PPP & ethernet check this out:

http://jgo.local.net/LinuxGuide/

Glenn
=====

------------------------------

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: ne.internet.services
Date: 22 Jun 2000 18:07:19 -0800

Bob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 22 Jun 2000 07:08:12 GMT, "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>
>>Because around here, for example, a survey of say the first fifty
>>people you met would find say 20 emas user, 20 vi users, and the others
>>using whatever they can scrounge on their winplatform of hell. If they
>>don telnet in and use vi, that is. Are you implying that these are not
>>ordinarily intelligent people?
>
>You're saying they actually use vi or emacs by choice ? Or because
>their management is too cheap to buy software designed in the last
>10 years ? Get out and take a look at the business world; the tools
>you use were abandoned by businesses for office use in the 80's.

Do you really think that the vi or emacs of today is the same
one that was around in 1980????

Even Microsoft has changed a few things in that time (fewer than
have changed with vi and emacs either one).

  Floyd

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Subject: Re: Can't mount cdrom
Date: 22 Jun 2000 10:36:36 GMT

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000 01:33:25 GMT John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Thank you for your reply
>
>I have just got done:
>make mrproper
>make depmod
>make modules
>make bzImage
>make modules_install

Hate to keep doing this, but I don't see "make clean" in that list.
Or "make dep".
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I-Con's Science and Technology Programming

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: Problem running files... :(
Date: 22 Jun 2000 23:18:57 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Eriksson wrote:
> I downloaded Doom a few days ago, unpacked it, and tried to run the
> executables
> but I only get the error:
> "bash: ./xdoom: cannot execute binary file"
>
> I mean shouldn't I be able to run it as it is?  In the Readme it says
> nothing
> about having to do womething else but run the file... :/

You may need to have (different) libraries available on your system.  What
are the outputs of "file ./xdoom" and "ldd ./xdoom"?

--
Paul Kimoto

------------------------------

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: There goes your privacy!!
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 22:10:54 -0500

Microsoft demonstrated a prototype tablet PC running Windows 2000. There
was also a demonstration of a new software feature called Smart Tags,
which can recognize names in an e-mail message and retrieve information
about that person.

http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB20000622S0004

So where did they get all the names and information from?
Software registrations?
Are they also connecting the product ID # of software to the owners
computer?
Maybe that's what that M$ IP was doing when it hit my firewall.

Hmmmmmmmmm!   Windows.NET
Sounds like more of M$'s same Innovate & Destroy tactics.

--
Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538

------------------------------

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Innovate & Destroy
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 22:16:02 -0500

Microsoft chairman Bill Gates today said the goal of the plan is to
connect every computing device, from desktop PCs to cell phones, and tie
them to the Internet. In that scenario, all data will be synchronized,
allowing consumers and workers to access the Internet, email, calendars
and important files, regardless of what device they're using.

http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-06-22-022-06-PS-MS

As long as it runs on M$ software.

From: Hendrix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware,linux.dev.laptop
Subject: Re: I just got my laptop and I want to install Linux, now what ???
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 01:11:46 -0230

peter wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just bought a used compaq presario 1210.  It's a p150, with an
> upgraded 6 gig hd.  I want to install linux and maybe even a 98/linux
> dual boot.
>
> Will I have any problems installing linux on this laptop ?
>
> How hard is it to do a dual boot?
>
> peter

I could tell you that you won't have any trouble, but you may...  I
recommend you to install win98 first and then Red Hat (version 6.2 is
out now)...  Red Hat will get you to use it's Disk Druid to set up the
linux partition(s)...!!!  You shouldn't have much trouble, but like I
said, who knows...???*smile*  Good luck...

Sincerely,
--
Trevor Penney,
A+, Network+ Certified

------------------------------

From: Hendrix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to speed up Netscape under Linux?
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 01:06:10 -0230

alan wrote:

> I would really love to know, how can I (simply) make Netscape/the net run
> faster. I am only getting about a third of the speed I can get from
> Windows!!
>                                         Thanks,
>                                                 Alan

I really hate to admitt this, but he's right....!!!   I find that I am
running at half speed compared to that of my Windows operation....  Is
the bottleneck in Linux or Netscape.....???  I think the Linux version
of Netscape isn't using it's caching option effectively...  Anyone else
having problems like this...???????

Sincerely,
--
Trevor Penney,
A+, Network+ Certified

From: Hendrix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New Question
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 01:02:33 -0230

Matt Barnett wrote:

> I've been reading A LOT about Linux. I understand the complicated process of
> installing this OS.
>
> My question is this:
>
> Which is the better of the distributions?
>
> Red Hat 6.2,  SuSE, Mandrake, Turbo Linkux ...

Actually, the OS has little to do with the distribution in which you
choose....  For instance, you could install a Slackware distribution and
use Red Hat utilities with it.......  A distribution basically comprises
the same kernel (used in all other distributions) and then adds
utilities to it.....  If you knew enough about how the kernel works, you
could quite easily make your own distribution from scratch....  All you
would need would be the kernel source, and the various utilities which
have become standard to a POSIX based system (ls, mkdir etc)....  And
don't forget vi...*s*  Linux gurus everywhere will kill you if you don't
use vi..........   I say use pico, that'll make'em happy...<grin>

Sincerely,
--
Trevor Penney,
A+, Network+ Certified

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 03:54:28 GMT

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000 01:06:10 -0230, Hendrix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I really hate to admitt this, but he's right....!!!   I find that I am
>running at half speed compared to that of my Windows operation....  Is
>the bottleneck in Linux or Netscape.....???  I think the Linux version
>of Netscape isn't using it's caching option effectively...  Anyone else
>having problems like this...???????

NS is a red herring. Optimize your serial port and pppd.

--
Hal B

From: Greg F Walz Chojnacki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NIC not activated
Date: 23 Jun 2000 03:55:55 GMT

Wouldn't that be cheating? :-)

Dusty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: try putting a line in inittab that runs one of the commands once, upon entering
: the default runlevel.

: Good Luck,
: Dusty

: Registered with the Linux Counter
: http://counter.li.org/
: User #179723

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     UW-Milwaukee News Services & Publications    414/229-4454
http://www.uwm.edu/News/                                     FAX:414/229-6443

------------------------------

From: Hendrix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.networking,comp.protocols.tcp-ip,comp.programming
Subject: Re: Easy way to send files through FTP...
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 01:19:49 -0230

Andreas Schweitzer wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Hendrix wrote:
> >Basically, what I want it to do is to connect to the ftp server with an
> >already defined username and password, and automatically send the
> >file... I would like the whole process to be transparent...  When the
> >script/program is executed, it will do the task and then terminate...
> >Nothing needs to be inputted by the user, and nothing needs to be
> >returned to the screen...
>
> Have you looked in ncftp and tools ?
> $ apropos ncftp
> ncftp                (1)  - Browser program for the File Transfer Protocol
> ncftpbatch           (1)  - Batch FTP job processor daemon
> ncftpget             (1)  - Internet file transfer program for scripts
> ncftpls              (1)  - Internet file transfer program for scripts
> ncftpput             (1)  - Internet file transfer program for scripts
>
> Andreas
>
> --
>                        Andreas Schweitzer
>              http://dilbert.physast.uga.edu/~andy/
>         This post is brought to you by VIM, slrn and FreeBSD

My system doesn't have any output when I look for ncftp...  Where would
I be able to find it...???

Trevor Penney,
A+, Network+ Certified
======================

From: Hendrix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Losing time
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 01:16:28 -0230

The Darkener wrote:

> That was happening to me as well.... I don't remember what fixed it, if I
> fixed it or it just went away when I stopped using GNome and started using
> BlackBox... ?
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Greetings
> >
> > I am running Red Hat 5.2 on a pentium machine, however in recent weeks I
> > have been getting a wierd problem.   The machine loses time!
> >
> > for example, this morning at 8am I reset the clock to the correct time,
> > an hour ago it read a 9:55 am, it in aproximately 12 hours the clock (as
> > reported by date) had only elapsed 2 hours.
> >
> > I rebooted the machine and checked the date in the BIOS - this is
> > correct.
> >
> > During this period it hasn't been connected to the net or anything else
> > to synchronise time to.
> >
> > It's turned on 24x7, it runs Seti@Home (and has done for about a year)
> > and never used to lose time any suggestions?
> >
> > Your help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Bryan
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Happened to me also.......  It's weird, but the problem went away by
itself.....  I just frecking hate it when a problem fixes itself and I
don't know how or why???*smile*

--
Trevor Penney,
A+, Network+ Certified

From: Hendrix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux ISPs?!
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 01:14:23 -0230

Peter Bismuti wrote:

> I checked out Freeweb, but their registration link is broken.
>
> Are there any other new ISPs for Linux?
>
> What is kppp?  I tried checking the man pages and came up empty.
>
> Thanks!

Kppp tries to make life simpler for connecting to your ISP...  I didn't
get it to work so I just done the scripting for ppp myself...   It's
fairly simple to do...  Have a look at the HOWTOs for more
information...

Sincerely...
--
Trevor Penney,