Linux-Misc Digest #903, Volume #24               Fri, 23 Jun 00 14:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Can't Delete a certian Character Special file -- Why/How? (Dances With Crows)
  Re: mind hours in development Linux vs. Windows ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Xwindows for DOS?
  Re: Can't Delete a certian Character Special file -- Why/How? (Vilmos Soti)
  Re: Xwindows for DOS? (DeAnn Iwan)
  Core files ("Couch, George (EXCHANGE:CAR:SC11)")
  No data displayed by ntop 1.3.1. (Jason Bassford)
  Re: No data displayed by ntop 1.3.1. (Jason Bassford)
  Re: zoom modem
  Re: CD burning software (besides cdrecord)! (Jason Bacon)
  Re: Easy way to send files through FTP... (Jason Bacon)
  Re: mind hours in development Linux vs. Windows ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: POSIX, what the heck...??? ("Bursch")
  Re: gcc-2.95.2 rpm? Where? ("David ..")
  HALTING Linux EXACTLY when I WANT TO.......!!!!!*smile* (Hendrix)
  Re: zoom modem (John Todd)
  Re: tool for joining various (text) files, editing and splitting them (John Hasler)
  Re: How to speed up Netscape under Linux? (Edward Lee)
  Novice needs a project ("Keyser Soze")
  Re: How to speed up Netscape under Linux? ("Matt O'Toole")
  Re: Core files (Stu)
  Re: Easy way to send files through FTP... (Grant Edwards)
  Re: tool for joining various (text) files, editing and splitting them (Uwe Brauer)
  Re: Core files (Dances With Crows)
  Re: GNU/LINUX at city of Boston Public Library departments
  info/texinfo to man pages (John Culleton)
  Re: strange linux install error (Crawford)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Can't Delete a certian Character Special file -- Why/How?
Date: 23 Jun 2000 12:13:54 EDT

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000 15:23:14 GMT, Ken Sproule
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>ls -lni gcal gives the following:
>1100523 c---r----- 8223 8224     8224      32,  32 Jan 30  1987 gcal
>
>I don't understand the 8224 in the user and group columns either as
>there is no uid/gid of 8224. Things don't look right to me.
>I have tried everything I can think of to try and delete this file but
>it always gives me a "Operation not permitted" error.
>I have tried rm -f gcal to no avail.

This indicates a munged directory or file entry.  You can probably get rid
of this thing using debugfs.

0. go single-user
1. umount the device that gcal is on if you can; mount it read-only if you
can't.
2. debugfs /dev/XXX where XXX is the device that the weird file is on
(like hda3, sdb2, etc.)
3. Use the interactive debugger to cd to the directory where gcal is, then
use debugfs's rm function, which bypasses normal filesystem sanity
checks...  "help" if you get confused; the online help is minimal but
bettwr than nothing.
4. Quit debugfs, run e2fsck on the device.

Matt G / Dances With Crows      /\    "Man could not stare too long at the face
\----[this space for rent]-----/  \   of the Computer or her children and still
 \There is no Darkness in Eternity \  remain as Man." --David Zindell "So did
But only Light too dim for us to see\ they become Gods, or Usenetters?" --/me

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: mind hours in development Linux vs. Windows
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 16:22:21 GMT

> In comp.os.linux.misc Robie Basak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Also, would someone please tell me where the equivalents of cron and
> > at are in NT? Or do I have to upgrade to 2000 as well?
>
> There is something called 'winat' that comes with NT 4.0.
>
> ---
> Neil

I believe 'winat' is the GUI-version of 'at' and it is part of the
Windows NT4 Resource Kit. The 'at' command comes with NT4. Note: If you
have installed Internet Explorer 4.0 or above you should have 'Task
Scheduler' which has an icon in the 'My Computer' window. This is the
newest version of scheduling for Windows NT4.

Regards,

DAB

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Xwindows for DOS?
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 16:30:10 GMT

Hi,

I want to set up an XWindow client on a DOS machine to connect into my
Linux server (using lanmanager / tcpip / smb).  Are there any favourite
Xwindow emulators for DOS that might do this?

From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 16:34:12 GMT

Ken Sproule <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> ls -lni gcal gives the following:
> 1100523 c---r----- 8223 8224     8224      32,  32 Jan 30  1987 gcal
>
> I don't understand the 8224 in the user and group columns either as
> there is no uid/gid of 8224. Things don't look right to me.

Maybe you untarred a file which was made on another computer where
8223/8224 were valid [ug]ids.

> I have tried everything I can think of to try and delete this file but
> it always gives me a "Operation not permitted" error.
>
> I have tried rm -f gcal to no avail.

The permission is highly strange. Only read for group. This is also
a character device. Also, the date is really old.
Try to remove as root (if you haven't done that).
Maybe you have to use something like ext2ed.

Vilmos

------------------------------

From: DeAnn Iwan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Xwindows for DOS?
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 12:34:29 -0400

> I want to set up an XWindow client on a DOS machine to connect into my
> Linux server (using lanmanager / tcpip / smb).  Are there any favourite
> Xwindow emulators for DOS that might do this?
>
> Peter

    Exceed might have a DOS edition.   Two other alternatives are to
temporarily boot Linux using either Linux in an UMSDOS partition or a
very small distribution like Mu-Linux that will boot into RAM and
provide you with an X-window (Mu-linux has coarse graphics, but you
could improve the pieces you need more definition for).

------------------------------

From: "Couch, George (EXCHANGE:CAR:SC11)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Core files
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 12:43:05 -0400

What exactly are core dump files and what are they used for? Is there
any way to setup linux so that it doesn't create a core file every time
something crashes?  They consume alot of hard drive space, and I often
don't even realize when one is created.

Thanks!
George Couch

------------------------------

Subject: No data displayed by ntop 1.3.1.
From: Jason Bassford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 09:48:36 -0700

I'm using RedHat 6.1 with kernel 2.2.15 and most RPMs updated to
RH 6.2 level.

I can run the RPM of ntop 1.1-1 without any problem.  When I
compile and run ntop 1.3.1 it works - but collects no data
whatsoever.  (Unlike ntop 1.1-1 and tcpdump which both show
active data.)

When running intop I get the following warning message:

Warning: setsockopt(PACKET_RX_RING): Protocol not available

I DO have packet sockets compiled into the kernel.

Any idea?  I've searched Usenet and Internet sites to no avail -
coming up with only one reference to the same problem in the
Debian distribution, but with no solution.

This is driving me nuts, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jason.

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

------------------------------

Subject: Re: No data displayed by ntop 1.3.1.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: zoom modem
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 16:57:19 GMT

On 23 Jun 2000 13:54:47 GMT, Kevin Croxen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The question is what IRQ the modem has landed on. The default
>IRQ for com1 and com3 is 4. If your /dev/ttyS2 requires a
>different IRQ (likely, if you have something on com1),
>this value will need to be set using setserial.
>Many Zoom modems allow choosing whether to set
>jumpers or rely on PnP. If yours is one of these,
>you will of course find life easier if you manually
>jumper the modem. If, however, your modem is a
>basic nothing-to-be-done-about-it PnP, you may
>wish to set your hardware bios for "non-PnP OS", so
>that the hardware is responsible for allocating your
>PnP peripherals.

Or one can disable com1 on the motherboard to prevent the IRQ
conflict.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason Bacon)
Subject: Re: CD burning software (besides cdrecord)!
Date: 23 Jun 2000 16:59:29 GMT

One word of caution: cdrecord needs an uninterrupted flow of data
once it starts writing the CD.

If you're going to pipe data from mkisofs into cdrecord, make sure
the system load is low while you do it, especially if it's not a
fast system to begin with.

Good luck,

-Jason

Dances With Crows ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 18:37:18 +0200, Mats Pettersson
: <<8itfbi$en4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
: >I looked at cdrecord but it seems to need enogh HD drive space to contain a
: >image file of the data to be burned. Since the problem is that i don't have
: >much space left on my drive i would like to burn the data directly to the
: >CD.
: >Is this possible (in a easy way)?

: mkisofs -r -J /path/to/where/data/is | cdrecord -v dev=BLAH speed=BLAH -

: Dissection:  -r is for Rock Ridge extensions.  -J is for Joliet
: extensions.  /path... is where the data is stored on your drive.  | pipes
: the output of mkisofs (an image of the CD) to the next program,
: cdrecord.  -v stands for verbose, dev= and speed= should be pretty
: self-explanatory, and the lone - means "read from standard input."  Since
: mkisofs by default outputs to stdout, the | and - link the two programs
: together, making cdrecord read directly from mkisofs.  No need for an
: ISO image file at all.

: --

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason Bacon)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.networking,comp.protocols.tcp-ip,comp.programming
Subject: Re: Easy way to send files through FTP...
Date: 23 Jun 2000 17:09:59 GMT

Hendrix ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hi guys.

: Is there a quick and easy method of sending a file to an FTP
: site...!!!!!!!  I looking for a shell script, perl script, C/C++
: program...  Anything, as long as it is fairly simple...

: Basically, what I want it to do is to connect to the ftp server with an
: already defined username and password, and automatically send the
: file... I would like the whole process to be transparent...  When the
: script/program is executed, it will do the task and then terminate...
: Nothing needs to be inputted by the user, and nothing needs to be
: returned to the screen...

You can set up your .netrc with the login and password of the system,
and then redirect the input of ftp from an ftp "script":

1: vi .netrc

ZZ

2: vi script.ftp

prompt
binary
mput <filespec>
bye
ZZ

3: ftp <machine name> < script.ftp

The one problem with this is having the raw password written in your
.netrc, which may compromise security.  When I used this technique, I
generated and destroyed the .netrc as part of the same C-shell script
that invoked ftp, so my password wouldn't be left lying around in such an
obvious place.

If possible, a better option might be to use rcp instead of ftp.

-Jason

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 02:31:28 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Oliver Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> As a science journalist, one doesn't always get to write about what one
> knows about or get the time to walk 1000 miles in every relevant
> persons' moccasins. You solicit quotes about what the bottom of their
> moccasins look like, build a story out of those, and hope for the best.
> Yes, there's something to be said for not getting in over your head, and
> sometimes you can avoid it. My intuition is that I'll squeek by on this
> one. I don't have to get any more technical than I see fit, and as I
> appraise the mountain of my ignorance on this topic, I'd say I've stood
> in deeper doodoo before.

If you are writing a story about Linux vs. Windows, and you have some time,
I recommend also doing some research on the history of Unix. Linux did not
just come out of nowhere. It is important to note that Linus was standing on
the shoulders of giants who toiled and strived perfect Unix. This 30 years of
work by the brightest minds in computer science must be included in your mind
hours equation.

Also, if you are going to compare Linux and Windows be sure to look deaper than
just comparing them as desktop systems -- it is essential that you consider
servers and there role in businesses and organizations. For example, ask the question
why is the Linux/Apache Web server software combination considered so far superior
to the Windows NT/IIS Web server software combination? Why is Linux growing so
fast especially in the server market? Why are businesses increasingly looking to
Linux for mission critical applications?

And don't forget that Linux is not just the command line. There are widely used
Windows managers that are as user-friendly as Windows 98.

--

Neil

------------------------------

From: "Bursch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: POSIX, what the heck...???
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 07:42:16 GMT

Hi Trevor,

IMO POSIX is nothing else than (one of ;-) the standard shell(s) of
UNIX-systems....AFAIK HP-UX uses the POSIX-shell as standard....actually it
isnīt very different from the bash apart from some nuances. Please see "man
sh"

regards,
Bursch

One picture kills more bandwidth
 than a thousand words

------------------------------

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: gcc-2.95.2 rpm? Where?
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:58:09 -0500

Andrew Purugganan wrote:

> Christoph Kukulies ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> : Anyone knowing where to find a gcc-2.95.2 rpm?

It in the egcs-rpm

--
Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538

------------------------------

From: Hendrix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HALTING Linux EXACTLY when I WANT TO.......!!!!!*smile*
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 05:41:24 GMT

Hi guys,

I'm trying to use the shutdown command to halt the computer at a
specific time and date...  Is this possible...???  For instance, how
would I be able to halt the computer at 10:00pm...???

Would I use:  shutdown -h 10:00

And what if I wanted to halt the computer at 10:00pm on June 23rd...???
Is there a way to do this (even without the shutdown command)...???

--
Trevor Penney,
A+, Network+ Certified

From: John Todd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 09:33:55 -0700

        My own Zoom 2805, although jumpered for IRQ 5, still requires
setserial /dev/ttyS2 irq 5
to be done at startup, from /etc/rc.d/rc.local

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: tool for joining various (text) files, editing and splitting them
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 14:41:31 GMT

-~=Darek M=~- writes:
> I can only help you joining the text files together.

> cat text1.txt > alltext.txt
> cat text2.txt >> alltext.txt

cat text1.txt text2.txt > alltext.txt

Hint: 'cat' is short for 'concatenate'.

Most editors have commands that let you load more than one file at a time
and let you write out part of the buffer: you could do the whole thing in
vi or emacs.  If you really need a seperate program to do the splitting
look at 'split' or 'csplit'.  Linux has many text utilities.
Try 'info text'.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Edward Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to speed up Netscape under Linux?
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 02:30:35 -0700

Using squid as proxy instead of netscape, my Linux browser is as fast (if not
faster) than Windows.

From: "Keyser Soze" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Novice needs a project
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 17:30:13 GMT

PC #1:
    CPU: 133 pentium
    RAM: 96MB
    OS: W98 2ed/Redhat 6.2 (dual boot)
    ISP: cable-modem

PC #2:
    CPU: 75 pentium
    RAM: 16MB
    OS: ? probably Redhat 6.2 set up as server

I'd just installed RedHat 6.2 and got that working with my cable modem when
I inherited a second pc.  I've got a couple extra PCI NICs which I suppose I
can install into it.  I've been told I can us an old weak pc as a server.

Question: Would using that 75 as an internet server/firewall slow down my
browsing on my 133?

How would I install these servers?  I imagine I would first install the pc
as a server and then read the howtos.  Any gotchas or does this sound about
right?

Any other project ideas you can offer would be appreciated.  Also, I'm
interested in learning Python and some shell programming.

Extraneous info: I'm keeping my 133 as a dual boot.

From: "Matt O'Toole" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 09:35:29 -0700

"Hendrix" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> alan wrote:

> > I would really love to know, how can I (simply) make Netscape/the net
run
> > faster. I am only getting about a third of the speed I can get from
> > Windows!!

> I really hate to admitt this, but he's right....!!!   I find that I am
> running at half speed compared to that of my Windows operation....  Is
> the bottleneck in Linux or Netscape.....???  I think the Linux version
> of Netscape isn't using it's caching option effectively...  Anyone else
> having problems like this...???????

You hit the nail right on the head.  By default, Netscape/Linux installs
itself with about 3MB each of RAM and disk cache.  This will clog up pronto,
and you'll have swapping after viewing only a few pages.  Increase the cache
to as much as you can afford, and you'll find Netscape to run considerably
faster in Linux than Windows.  I don't have gobs of disk space in my Linux
system, but increasing the caches to just 10MB each made a huge difference.
Eventually, I get some swapping, but if I clear out the cache, all is well
again.

Matt O.

------------------------------

From: Stu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Core files
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 17:33:49 GMT

"Couch, George (EXCHANGE:CAR:SC11)" wrote:

> What exactly are core dump files and what are they used for? Is there
> any way to setup linux so that it doesn't create a core file every time
> something crashes?  They consume alot of hard drive space, and I often
> don't even realize when one is created.
>
> Thanks!
> George Couch

According to The Linux Gazette (I think this is a pretty good definition):

"A "core" file is a snapshot of a process' memory state just prior to its
abnormal termination by the system. It's an image of the program's "core"
which is an old term for RAM dating back to a time when computers actually
used little ferrite "donuts" suspended in a wire mesh for their memory and
storage. These can be used by programmers for post-mortem analysis, clues
as to what caused the failure.  core files can be generated any time one
of your programs crash for just about any reason. Most of us mortals just
delete the things."

There are a couple ways to make them not be generated.  The two I'm
familiar with are, if you are running PAM, edit /etc/security/limits.conf
(for Redhat and Caldera users) and add (or edit a line to look like) this:

*       hard    core    0
(that's a zero)

Or run the command:
ulimit -Sc 0
(that's a zero)

Also, if you write programs on your machine, you might not want to do
that.  So, instead, periodically you can run the following bash script
(written by Otto Hammersmith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]) occationally, or add
it as a cron job.

#!/bin/sh
     USAGE="$0 <directory> <message-file>"

     if [ $# != 2 ] ; then
             echo $USAGE
             exit
     fi

      echo Deleting...
     find $1 -name core -atime 7 -print -type f -exec rm {} \;

     echo e-mailing
     for name in `find $1 -name core -exec ls -l {} \; | cut -c16-24`
     do
             echo $name
             cat $2 | mail $name
     done

Stu

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.networking,comp.protocols.tcp-ip,comp.programming
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 17:34:50 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Hendrix wrote:
>Hi guys.
>
>Is there a quick and easy method of sending a file to an FTP
>site...!!!!!!!  I looking for a shell script, perl script, C/C++
>program...  Anything, as long as it is fairly simple...

Use ncftpput.  It's part of the ncftp package (installed on
most distros).  Guess what ncftpget does?

ncftpput(1)                                           ncftpput(1)

NAME
       ncftpput - Internet file transfer program for scripts

SYNOPSIS
       ncftpput  [options]  remote-host  remote-directory  local-
       files...

       ncftpput -f login.cfg  [options]  remote-directory  local-
       files...

       ncftpput -c remote-host remote-path-name < stdin

OPTIONS
   Command line flags:
       -u XX   Use username XX instead of anonymous.

       -p XX   Use password XX with the username.

[...]

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Now, let's SEND OUT
                                  at               for QUICHE!!

------------------------------

From: Uwe Brauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 23 Jun 2000 19:24:58 +0000

Tyler Durden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Uwe Brauer wrote:
>
> > I am looking for a simple tool to join various (text) files (which say
> > have the same extension, but are located in various directories) to a
> > single file, editing them and finally splitt them again.
>
> man cat
> man split
>
> --tyler

Yep, but first it is non trivial to use these commands for various
files and set marks such that cat and split works smoothly together,
so I thought some comfortable tool may exist which does the job for
you.

Uwe

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 23 Jun 2000 13:35:29 EDT

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000 12:43:05 -0400, Couch, George (EXCHANGE:CAR:SC11)
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>What exactly are core dump files and what are they used for? Is there
>any way to setup linux so that it doesn't create a core file every time
>something crashes?  They consume alot of hard drive space, and I often
>don't even realize when one is created.

In /etc/profile, add the line:
ulimit -Sc 0

Most distros do this by default.  Anyway, core dumps are useful when
you're debugging a program.  If you compile a program with the -g option,
and it crashes with a core dump, you can "gdb core" and figure out exactly
when and why the thing crashed.  Very useful, that, but not something that
end-users experience since virtually no binaries are distributed with the
-g flag set.  (Compiling with -g makes the program huge, and slower than
it usually is.)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: GNU/LINUX at city of Boston Public Library departments
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 17:34:38 GMT

On 23 Jun 2000 05:13:58 -0800, Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>    > I've never seen Vi or Emacs reformat a document capriciously and
>>    > maliciously.  Vi and Emacs don't seem to have an autosave
>>    > feature that saves the document you are working on every five
>>    > minutes just incase the computer crashes.
>>
>>Don't know about Vi but X/Emacs does have an outosave feature.
>>
>>Charles
>
>Which very few people ever turn on, because they are running it
>on a unix box,  which doesn't crash 3 times a day.

        It's typically on by default.

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

Subject: info/texinfo to man pages
From: John Culleton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 10:34:19 -0700

Much documentation from the gnu project is in the form of either
info or texinfo files which I find difficult to use. I need a
conversion program that would convert each such file to a regular
man page. I am tired of reading man pages that say "this manpage
is obsolete" and then trying to track down the info format file.
Call it a personal quirk if you will.

I need a program that takes any info formatted file and makes it
into a man page. It would be nice if it broke the info file down
into independent man pages following the internal menuing system
of info but that is not essential. I am aware of info2html but
that is not what I am looking for.

For about 20 years now I have had the convenience of simply
typing man (subject) and getting the information I want
immediately and directly. I would like to have that convenience
once again.

John Culleton

From: Crawford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: strange linux install error
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 17:30:08 GMT

Hmmm - sounds like a variation of the dreaded 1024 cylinder limit. Even
many large HD's with BIOS supporting LBA addressing run into this around
the 8GB area. I know that new versions of LILO get around the problem, but
you may have to respect the limit during installation.

Don't know about the HD architecture on your Vaio, but you may need to set
up certain LINUX partiions prior to install so that so that / and /boot as
partitions are complete within the 0-1023 cylinder count.

Also, head over to linuxnewbie.org and set up a post to see if anyone else
has done an install on a system like yours. Might help.

Good luck - Crawford