Linux-Misc Digest #872, Volume #24               Tue, 20 Jun 00 10:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: PMFirewall and ip-up ("eak")
  Re: PMFirewall and ip-up (Jim)
  Re: PMFirewall and ip-up (Jim)
  Re: Linux freeze when running at 500 Mhz (Stefan Soos)
  Re: PMFirewall and ip-up SOLVED! (James Campbell Andrew)
  Re: mount question (Fabio S.)
  Newbie haveing problems with e pserver and CVS (Nick Porter)
  Re: how to start X windows under RH linux? (Rick Matthews)
  Re: line in use? /dev/cua0 (Villy Kruse)
  Re: how to start X windows under RH linux? ("Adam Hill")
  how to start X windows under RH linux? ("Lu Bingwen")
  how to start X windows under RH linux? ("Lu Bingwen")
  Re: Disabling app called in boot-up? (Bob Martin)
  Re: Very weird Netscape problem (Mike)
  Re: How to make a copy of a start up disk. (Dances With Crows)
  Re: ISO image (Dances With Crows)
  Re: Very weird Netscape problem (Edwin Johnson)
  Re: Installing Linux from a ZIP drive? ("J. D. Hanscom")
  TCPIP tuning ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: What web server? (guest)
  Problems with making mixed-mode CD (Dances With Crows)
  Re: how to start X windows under RH linux? (2:1)

From: "eak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: PMFirewall and ip-up
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 15:27:54 +0100

I have mine working fine, the only differences being:
a) ip-up.local calls another script that runs pmfirewall and nntp etc.
b) that script runs pm firewall with the full path
(/usr/local/pmfirewall/pmfirewall start)
HTH (try the full path)
--
Allan

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 16:06:45 +0100

eak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have mine working fine, the only differences being:
> a) ip-up.local calls another script that runs pmfirewall and nntp etc.
> b) that script runs pm firewall with the full path
> (/usr/local/pmfirewall/pmfirewall start)
> HTH (try the full path)

Yep, tried that - no luck.

Thanks for the info though.

Jim

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 16:54:09 +0100

eak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have mine working fine, the only differences being:

Actually, could I have a look at your /etc/pp/options file? It occurs to
me that I may have something wrong in there. Not likely but who knows?

TIA
Jim

From: Stefan Soos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux freeze when running at 500 Mhz
Date: 20 Jun 2000 12:15:32 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Smith) writes:

> Anybody know how much punishment the AMD CPU can take before it's toast?
> It seems happy at the moment. Is there any Linux software which can
> monitor the CPU temperature? Will Linux halt the CPU when idle or is
> additional software needed?

I would like to know it, too. I'm somewhat feared, because under windows
the temperature climbs up to nearly 60°C.
There's a package called lm_sensors (sorry I don't know the url).
If your chipset is supported, you can monitor cpu temperatures, fan speed
etc. with it.
I think the cpu is halted when idle. This would explain the temperature
difference between linux and windows.

Bye,

Stefan

--
Send mail with subject 'get gpgkey' to recieve gpg-public-key

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James Campbell Andrew)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: PMFirewall and ip-up SOLVED!
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 20:18:27 +0100

Jim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yep, tried that - no luck.
>
> Thanks for the info though.

Got it - I added PATH=/bin:/usr/bin...etc to the top of

/usr/local/pmfirewall/pmfirewall

and

/usr/local/pmfirewall/pmfirewall.conf

and this seems to do the trick.

Jim
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                  - Vertigo 1

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fabio S.)
Subject: Re: mount question
Date: 20 Jun 2000 10:35:34 GMT

Il Mon, 19 Jun 2000 23:30:05 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] ha scritto:
>I couldn't figure this out reading man mount:  How do I set up my fstab
>file so that the floppy will mount both a ext2 and a vfat filesystem
>floppy.  CAn I set it up so that it will work with whatever I stick in the
>drive?

Be sure that in your fstab you have a line like

/dev/fd0        /mnt/floppy     auto    user,rw,noauto,exec     0       0

Then create a file /etc/filesystems where you will list all kind of
filesystems you will ever use. Mine looks like:

vfat
msdos
hfs

Finally, be sure you have created the directory /mnt/floppy
Then "mount /mnt/floopy" will make you happy...;-)))

Bye

Fabio

PS: all of this is actually on man mount: I can't figure out how you
couldn't find it. In particular, the probing of filesystems is described
under the description of the "-t" option.

------------------------------

From: Nick Porter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie haveing problems with e pserver and CVS
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 22:53:36 +0100

i've been reading stuff about CVS for the last two days now and have
to admit to being completely stumped!

I just cant get the pserver to authorize access. I get as far as the
cvs logon so i suspect that the inetd.conf and services files are
working right but I cant get passed the logon.

authorization failed. server mother rejected logon.

i have set up a passwd file in the CVSROOT directory and have also set
the config file with the systemauth=yes line. This I was hoping to
make the system default to the system logon but i still got the same
result.

I've run out of things to try and am not reading anything that's
pointing me in a direction i haven't already covered a hundred times!!

please, anybody who has come across this before and can give a newbie
a hand.

Thanx,

--
NP

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: how to start X windows under RH linux?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rick Matthews)
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 10:45:40 GMT

[posted and mailed]

Lu Bingwen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have no idea how to start X windows (Gnome) after I login.

It's really tricky... in order to start x, type

startx

<grin>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: line in use? /dev/cua0
Date: 20 Jun 2000 11:07:14 GMT

On 20 Jun 2000 09:46:19 GMT,
     Christoph Kukulies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Redhat 6.1:
>
>I want to simply do a cu -l /dev/cua0 -s 9600 and I'm getting:
>
># cu -l /dev/cua0 -s 9600
>cu: open (/dev/cua0): Permission denied
>cu: /dev/cua0: Line in use
>crw-------   1 root     root       5,  64 May  5  1998 /dev/cua0
>
>ttyS0 same picture.
>
>I'm not seeing any getty processes on these ttys.

Devices must be uucp owned for cu to work.

Villy

------------------------------

From: "Adam Hill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 11:22:10 GMT

I believe its: startx

Adam

news:8ine6j$fqo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Lu Bingwen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: how to start X windows under RH linux?
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 19:12:28 +0800

I am a Linux newbie. I just installed RedHat Linux 6.2 server version.
However, I have no idea how to start X windows (Gnome) after I login.
I type "startx" but it replied "bash: command not found".

Any suggestion? Send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Thanks a lot a lot.

ben

P.S.: Thanks malthews, gk7eong and ajlewis2 for your replies.

------------------------------

From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Disabling app called in boot-up?
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 06:55:16 -0500

Steve Browne wrote:

> I've installed Linux Mandrake 7.1 and I've found that the SMP kernel
> hangs at boot on the "Checking for new hardware" line. This is calling
> the RedHat app "kudzu". I would like to disable "kudzu" from the boot
> process to see if that's what is really causing the hang-up. Where
> would I find the script that lists these boot-up calls? Or is it
> scattered all around.?

from a command prompt, run the 'setup' command , select system service,
turn kudzu off, that's it.
--

Bob Martin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike)
Subject: Re: Very weird Netscape problem
Date: 20 Jun 2000 08:21:36 EDT

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000 22:39:03 -0400, Mark Bratcher
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Mike wrote:
>>
>> Every time I am running Netscape it is freezing my system.  First, the
>> system slows way down, then after about ten second freezes.  The
>> keyboard doesn't respond, I can't exit x-windows with
>> cntrl-alt-backspace, and I can't even telnet into the computer from
>> another machine on the network.  After years of running linux with
>> almost no system crashes, this is now bringing down the computer
>> everytime.
>>
>> Any ideas?  Any ideas on how to troubleshoot?  Or do I just do a
>> windows type solution and reinstall netscape??
>
>What version of netscape are you running?

4.51

>Have you tried doing a clean reinstall of netscape?

no, not yet.  What's the latest version, do you know?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: How to make a copy of a start up disk.
Date: 20 Jun 2000 08:22:15 EDT

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 11:47:52 +0800, Iris C. Ting
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>I do have a start up disk right now but I would like to have another copy
>for back-up.  Can anyone please help me?

(insert floppy to be copied)
dd if=/dev/fd0 of=floppyimage bs=18k
(eject floppy, insert blank floppy)
dd if=floppyimage of=/dev/fd0 bs=18k

No magic in the bs=18k, that just makes it go a bit faster.  This makes a
sector-by-sector copy of the entire disk and doesn't care about the
filesystem.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows      /\    "Man could not stare too long at the face
\----[this space for rent]-----/  \   of the Computer or her children and still

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: ISO image
Date: 20 Jun 2000 08:25:40 EDT

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:36:36 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<<8indv4$u9e$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>excuse me, does any one know how to make a bootable ISO9660 image by
>linux?

Read the man page for mkisofs, paying close attention to the -b and -c
options.  Once you've made the filesystem image, burn it to CD using
cdrecord.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Edwin Johnson)
Date: 20 Jun 2000 13:17:21 GMT

I had a similar problem where there was a lot of disk access, computer slow
down as if Netscape was using all available memory and resourses. Increasing
the swap size eliminated the problem, so I suspect it had something to do
with its need for memory. Both computers I was using this on had 32m RAM for
your reference.

...Edwin

On 19 Jun 2000 16:40:04 EDT, Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Every time I am running Netscape it is freezing my system.  First, the
>system slows way down, then after about ten second freezes.  The
>keyboard doesn't respond, I can't exit x-windows with
>cntrl-alt-backspace, and I can't even telnet into the computer from
>another machine on the network.  After years of running linux with
>almost no system crashes, this is now bringing down the computer
>everytime.
>
>Any ideas?  Any ideas on how to troubleshoot?  Or do I just do a
>windows type solution and reinstall netscape??

~   Edwin Johnson ....... [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ~
~        http://www.shreve.net/~elj       ~
~                                         ~
~ "Once you have flown, you will walk the ~
~ earth with your eyes turned skyward,    ~
~ for there you have been, there you long ~
~ to return." -- da Vinci                 ~

From: "J. D. Hanscom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installing Linux from a ZIP drive?
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:16:06 +0500

andrey wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> I have an old 486, it doesn't have a CD-ROM or a network card. I have
> RedHat 5.1 on CD and a parallel port ZIP drive. Can I install linux
> from the ZIP drive? If so, how?
>
> Thanks,
> Andrey.

Audrey,

Slackware has a version of Linux that fits on a 100 meg zip disk.  I
can't remember what it is called but it is on their web site.  Should
fill the bill for what you want to do......give it a try.  I also came
across a version called Pygmy linux........It runs in a DOS directory
and takes up about 25 megs of space.  I think it takes 12 floppy disks
for the install..........the install disks are made in DOS.   I don't
have the web site handy gut I am sure you could find it with any search
engine or at http://www.linux.org.  Good luck!!!!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: TCPIP tuning
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 13:33:05 GMT

Greetings,

I'm looking for the method to tune my TCP/IP TTL value.  In HP-UX there
is a utility called nettune.  In Solaris it's called ndd.  Does RedHat
6.2 have such a utility?  What is it called?

Thanks in advice,

Ramon.

Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 21:41:22 +0800
From: guest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: hk.comp.pc,microsoft.public.inetserver.iis,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: What web server?

I suspect the thing rhat really made the differences is
the persons in charge of the setup.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Problems with making mixed-mode CD
Date: 20 Jun 2000 09:43:49 EDT

Yesterday, I attempted to create a CD with both audio tracks and a data
track according to the instructions in the CD-Writing
HOWTO.  Specifically, I did:

cdrecord -v -multi -pad -audio track*.cdr
TRACK=`cdrecord -msinfo`
mkisofs -r -J -C $TRACK -M /dev/scd0 -o data.iso /path/to/data

mkisofs returned an error, saying that it couldn't read the image from
/dev/scd0.  Fair enough, since the audio CD doesn't exactly have an
iso9660 filesystem on it.  However, I'm a bit confused about how to create
a CD with the following characteristics:

multi-session
first session has from 1 to 98 audio tracks in standard CDDA format
second session has 1 data track

I know you can put the data track on track 1 and then put the audio on
subsequent tracks, but then you must skip over track 1 when trying to play
the disc on an audio CD player.  I've seen references to people using the
above format to create mixed-mode CDs, as audio CD players are not
multi-session capable and won't read the final track.  This would be the
best solution, I think.

There's probably something simple here that I'm missing.  Any help is of
course appreciated.

From: 2:1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 14:32:44 +0100

Lu Bingwen wrote:

> I am a Linux newbie. I just installed RedHat Linux 6.2 server version.
> However, I have no idea how to start X windows (Gnome) after I login.
> I type "startx" but it replied "bash: command not found".

RH6.2 boots up in to GUI mode as soon as it's installed. Mabey the
server version doesn't install X by default (coz most servers won't need
it). Try installing X from the CD manually.

-Ed

--
The day of judgement cometh. Join us O sinful one...
http://fuji.stcatz.ox.ac.uk/cult/index.html

remove foo from the end and reverse my email address to make any use of
it.