From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Need help: PS/2 mouse not working in doom
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 03:25:21 GMT

Just installed Doom and I can't get it to work with the mouse.

It aborts with "mouse init failed" or some such.

I have attempted to edit the ".doomrc" file with no success, perhaps
because I don't know what to enter for the "mousedev" setting,
although I have tried variations of "psaux", "ps aux", "PSAUX", etc.
"mousetype" is set as PS/2.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Nichols)
Subject: Re: A bash bug?
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 03:36:23 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Mark Bratcher  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:
:Suppose I have the following directory:
:
:drwxrwxr-x   5  fred    users          1024  May 30 10:28 ShareDir
:
:Suppose further that I am logged in as 'bill' who is also in the 'users'
:group. If the /etc/passwd file has /bin/bash as the login shell for
:'bill', and I change directory to ShareDir, I do not have permission to
:create a file there. However, if I set the login shell for 'bill' in
:/etc/passwd to be /bin/csh, I _am_ able to create a file under ShareDir
:when logged in as 'bill'.

Are you certain that you did not accidentally try to "create" a file
that already existed -- one for which 'bill' did not have write
permission?

Note that if users are supposed to be able to modify files in the
directory, not just create new ones, the ShareDir directory need to have
its set-GID bit set (drwxrwsr-x) so that files created there will
inherit the GID of the directory[1], and users who create files in that
directory need to use a umask that allows group writes (typically
'002').  And for folks to be happy with that umask each user needs to
have a unique primary group (the GID they get from the passwd file).
(You don't have to worry about any of that if users don't need write
access to files that someone else created in that directory.)

[1] There is also a mount option ("grpid" or "bsdgroups") that makes
    this the default behavior for the entire file system.

--
Bob Nichols         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PGP public key 1024/9A9C7955

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Can't set password
Date: 23 Jun 2000 23:48:44 EDT

On Sat, 24 Jun 2000 02:18:10 GMT, jay
<<CTU45.10234$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>I lost my password. I'm running rh6.2. So  I edited /etc/passwd to
>delete passwords.  Worked fine. No password needed to login.

Why are passwords being stored in /etc/passwd ?  (Usually, the encrypted
passwords are in /etc/shadow, since /etc/passwd is world-readable and a
person with "crack" and a lot of time can steal passwords that way.)

>tried to login with new password. didn't work!!  passwd had changed
>passwd  password  to "x". Deleted and tried again. Same thing. One
>problem is that /etc was on a bad disk, which I've now replaced. Is
>there some file missing?

Check /etc/shadow and make sure the second field in root's line there is
null.  Restore your root filesystem from backups (you DO have backups,
right?) if possible; there are a lot of relatively important files in
/etc.  (/etc *must* be on the root filesystem as a number of files like
/etc/inittab and /etc/fstab must be read and parsed before any non-root
filesystems are mounted.)

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows      /\    "Man could not stare too long at the face
\----[this space for rent]-----/  \   of the Computer or her children and still

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: linux suse 6.4 and dual pentirum
Date: 23 Jun 2000 23:59:35 EDT

On Sat, 24 Jun 2000 02:40:55 +0100, jan roth
<<8j102o$cq5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>I`ld like to know wether my kernel knows about my second intel-processor or
>not. I cannot figure out where to find information about how many processors
>the kernel uses!
>Actually I`m not a unix-freak at all,- so please tell an
>windows-mouse-user in slow words what to do and how I can tell this little
>nice linux-pc how to use 2 prozessors...

0. Start a terminal window (konsole) and type in "cat /proc/cpuinfo" and
hit Return.
1. If you see two entries, one for cpu 0 and one for cpu 1, you're using
both processors.
2. If not, you aren't, so go to http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html
and read it and follow its directions.  Compile a kernel with SMP support,
run LILO, reboot, bingo.

I can't make it any simpler than that.  RedHat installs an SMP kernel by
default, and IIRC SuSE does too, so you're probably using both processors
if you're using one of those distros or their derivations (like Mandrake.)

Read the HOWTOs, the man pages, the info pages, or a dead-tree book like
O'reilly's _Running Linux_ to get rid of that raw newbiehood if you so
desire....

--

Subject: Re: GNU/LINUX at city of Boston Public Library departments
From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 03:59:59 GMT

Bob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

' Yes, I'd much rather flounder around with an archaic text editor
' and a formatting language that's ancient history.

LOL!  I didn't know that industry standards were ancient history.  It
seems that TeX in its many flavors are still used by the industry for
making books.  MS Word documents are not.  Not by anyone.  Even if the
author used MS Word to type it.

For editing text, vi[m], its clones, and [X]Emacs are vastly more
powerful than _any_ WYSIWYG ( an oxymoron in the case of MS Word )
``word processors''.  Or do you mean, as Shoe once said, word
processor in the same sense as food processor?

If ease of use was the main issue, then why the hell aren't you on a
Mac?

--
David Steuber   |   Hi!  My name is David Steuber, and I am
NRA Member      |   a hoploholic.

All bits are significant.  Some bits are more significant than others.
        -- Charles Babbage Orwell

------------------------------

From: Edward Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Xwindows for DOS?
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 21:05:21 -0700

Why would you want to do that? DOS TCP stack is worst than Win9X.  If you
need to run DOS apps, may be you should use DOS under Linux/X station
instead.  A typical Xserver (on a client machine) is over 3M, much bigger
than the 640K real mode memory.  If you are building your own extended DOS
window apps, you must be planning on Win8X

------------------------------

From: "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 22:13:10 -0600

> 2. If not, you aren't, so go to
http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html
> and read it and follow its directions.  Compile a kernel with SMP support,
> run LILO, reboot, bingo.

  I would strongly advise reading the SMP how-to as well, there are a few
small gotchas that are easily addressed, but are not completely
intuitive.......

steve

Domain for replies is "codon"

Subject: Re: Change multiple filenames all at once?
From: Charles Philip Chan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 23 Jun 2000 21:54:03 +0500

    > I might be WAY off on this, because it seems so simple to me as
    > opposed to all of the other posts in this thread... but wouldn't
    > this work?

    > $ mv * *.html

It won't work, mv doesn't understand wildcards. OTOH, you can use a
program like mmv. See my old post.

Charles

------------------------------

From: Thomas Kragh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Floating-point discrepency under debian linux
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 00:27:44 -0400

To All -

I am performing some numerical analysis with some software I wrote in
C.  Recently I noticed a difference in my results between a linux box
and the same software compiled to run on both a Sun and an HP.  The Sun
and HP results both match each other to the last digit, but differ from
the result from the linux box.

After analysing the results between the Linux box and the Sun & HP, I
noticed that there was a slight difference in some intermediate
calculations on order of machine-epsilon (i.e.  DBL_EPSILON from
<float.h>) in my double-floating-point calculations.  These small
differences propogate and diverge later in the code (due to taking ratio
of a small numbers and other numerically-bad things).  The final result
is different enough to affect the final result of my calculations.

I am running it on a Dual Pentium-III running Debian (potato release).
my source code is in ANSI-C, and compiled with "gcc" on all three
platforms.  I tested it under both libv5 and v6 math libraries.

What could be different under Linux then under Sun & HP?  Not quite
fully IEEE-standard floating-point behavior?  Hardware-related issue
with how Intel chips calculate floating-point?  Need an update from
somewhere?

tom kragh
Remove obvious spam-block to reply

------------------------------

From: MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Upgrade rh 6.1 kernel to 2.2.16
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 21:29:22 -0700

Francisco De La Cruz wrote:

> For the last couple of days I've been trying to bring my kernel
> to 2.2.16. No matter the method i get this error:
>                 no setup signature found
>  Now i know rh 6.1 released rpms for that kernel. I hope that
> does not mean i can't "manually" upgrade. Anyways, the first
> time I tried 'make oldconfig' for as you might remember, use
> my old .config file. That didn't work. So i said, ok let me just
> try 'make xconfig', but after going through the emotions i got
> the same error...What am i'm doing wrong?
> Thanx in advance, Francisco.

You must be in /usr/src/linux when you initiate the "make" command.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: linux as a client :-(
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 04:30:55 GMT

I like linux as a server operating system,
but it still lacks as a client, compared to Windows.

I have the following problems with using linux as a client:

1. Are there any plans for making software just as easy to install
   as in Windows?  RPM and DEB packages are a start, but these seem
   to be distribution specific.  I long for the day when all software
   and drivers will be as simple as double-clicking on setup.exe

2. Fonts are still a problem.  I installed Mandrake 7.1, with
   XFree86 4.0, and Netscape fonts still can't compete with Internet
   Explorer on Windows.  Is there some linux distribution that has
   solved this annoying problem.

-Adnan Khan

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dowe Keller)
Subject: Re: linux as a client :-(
Date: 23 Jun 2000 22:04:47 -0700

On Sat, 24 Jun 2000 04:30:55 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I like linux as a server operating system,
>but it still lacks as a client, compared to Windows.
>
>I have the following problems with using linux as a client:
>
>1. Are there any plans for making software just as easy to install
>   as in Windows?  RPM and DEB packages are a start, but these seem
>   to be distribution specific.  I long for the day when all software
>   and drivers will be as simple as double-clicking on setup.exe

make
make install

>2. Fonts are still a problem.  I installed Mandrake 7.1, with
>   XFree86 4.0, and Netscape fonts still can't compete with Internet
>   Explorer on Windows.  Is there some linux distribution that has
>   solved this annoying problem.

If you want winDOS you know where to find it /:-=)

---
There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson

------------------------------

From: Edward Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 21:53:01 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> 1. Are there any plans for making software just as easy to install
>    as in Windows?  RPM and DEB packages are a start, but these seem
>    to be distribution specific.  I long for the day when all software
>    and drivers will be as simple as double-clicking on setup.exe

Blame RH for properiety extensions.

> 2. Fonts are still a problem.  I installed Mandrake 7.1, with
>    XFree86 4.0, and Netscape fonts still can't compete with Internet
>    Explorer on Windows.  Is there some linux distribution that has
>    solved this annoying problem.

Tell RH to set up true font server.  My browser is as good as Windows.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 04:48:25 GMT

On Sat, 24 Jun 2000 04:30:55 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>1. Are there any plans for making software just as easy to install
>   as in Windows?  RPM and DEB packages are a start, but these seem
>   to be distribution specific.  I long for the day when all software
>   and drivers will be as simple as double-clicking on setup.exe

One man's dream is another man's nightmare. Sounds like friggin windows
all over again.

--
Hal B

From: mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: WinLinux 2000 a mouse trap!
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 05:30:09 GMT

I have just installed WinLinux 2000 on my monorail pc with logitech mouse,
model M-S 48. It detected my mouse as P/S 2 but will not work. My mouse
TRAPPED is  in the center of the screen. I can log in and then I,m stuck,
and mouseless.

From: Ed Hurst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: general question?
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 00:18:47 -0500

Keith wrote:

> Hey I'm thinking of installing CorelLinux on my system. I currently know
> [nothing] about linux and I'm wondering if it has a GUI like windows. I know
> that the installation program has a gui, but does the actual OS have it too,
> like windows. Is it easy to use or very difficult? I heard that some people
> actually get the GUI seperately from the kernel--is this what I'll have to
> do? Any help would be appreciated.

I believe that Corel Linux gives you one of the more "Windows-like"
GUIs, KDE.  Just do yourself a favor and try to forget every assumption
you have about computers, especially terminology.  BTW, Linux has dozens
of GUIs that you can choose from.

Ed

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Date: 24 Jun 2000 01:35:48 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Thomas Kragh wrote:
> I am performing some numerical analysis with some software I wrote in
> C.  Recently I noticed a difference in my results between a linux box
> and the same software compiled to run on both a Sun and an HP.  The Sun
> and HP results both match each other to the last digit, but differ from
> the result from the linux box.
>
> After analysing the results between the Linux box and the Sun & HP, I
> noticed that there was a slight difference in some intermediate
> calculations on order of machine-epsilon (i.e.  DBL_EPSILON from
> <float.h>) in my double-floating-point calculations.  These small
> differences propogate and diverge later in the code (due to taking ratio
> of a small numbers and other numerically-bad things).  The final result
> is different enough to affect the final result of my calculations.

(If your numerics inflate something of order DBL_EPSILON into something
of appreciable size, then your results are probably unreliable.)

> What could be different under Linux then under Sun & HP?  Not quite
> fully IEEE-standard floating-point behavior?  Hardware-related issue
> with how Intel chips calculate floating-point?  Need an update from
> somewhere?

There is an introduction to some of these issues at
 http://www.suburbia.net/~billm/floating-point/index.html

Roughly, the Intel chips do some floating-point calculations at higher
precision ("80-bit registers"), and so will get different results from
other chips.

--
Paul Kimoto

------------------------------

From: "Biolab" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how to set up default mailbox ?
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 12:37:36 +0700

I try to configure qmail , mailbox of qmail
is in ~Mailbox but  system mailbox is
/var/spool/mail/username
how do I change my system default mailbox to
~Mailbox
or change qmail's Mailbox to /var/spool/mail/username  ?
Thank you.
Non.

------------------------------

From: Hendrix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,nf.comp.linux
Subject: mknod...Anyone...????
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 03:15:06 -0230

Hi guys,

A friend of mine told me that it was possible to completely re-create
the /dev directory by using the mknod command...!!!  How is this
done...???

The same friend deleted the /dev directory on one of my systems...  Any
and all help will be appreciated...  Thanks...

--
Trevor Penney,
A+, Network+ Certified...