Subject: Re: Problem on SMTP for new user.
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 15:17:02 GMT

"Bob Yeo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'm a new user to Linux, and I manage to get my Linux Mail Server up and
> able to send mail out to any internet users.

with this much cross posting a followup-to would have been nice.

> The problem is that I'm under to receive anymail sending to my domain name.
>
> 1.) I'm using a dial-up line to connect to the Internet.

a 24/7 line or intermittant?

> 2.) my domain name is under1sun.com and ip address is 216.34.13.231

this IP address is static, i.e., fixed and constant and never changes
ever?

> 3.) I have first set my Linux Box IP = 192.168.100.50,

you don't give IP addresses to boxen, you give them to interfaces.
you want to figure out what IP address PPP connects with (assuming
PPP).

> and having problem of
> receive my email, so I
> changed it to the same as my ISP assigned IP = 216.34.13.231, but still
> having the same problem. Later I changed back to 192.168.100.50

> 4.) Can i set my Linux Box IP to 216.34.13.231, which is same as
> under1sun.com? and my Linux server name is  "mail.under1sun.com" and can I
> set my Linux domain same as "under1sun.com"?

you will want to set up your own mail server on linux.  i recommend
qmail because it is 1) secure and 2) fairly easy.  i recommend david
sill's excellent website

life with qmail
<URL:http://web.infoave.net/~dsill/lwq.html>

> 5.) My incoming POP3 from the ISP is "mail.namezero.com"

use fetchmail to gather mails from your ISP's POP3.  the fetchmail
will inject them into your local mail server.

> 6.) My outgoing STMP from the ISP is "smtp.namezeo.com"

you can direct your SMTP client (i.e., outgoing mailer) to relay
through your ISP *or* you can ignore the ISP's mail server and deliver
directly.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: Good linux printer
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 15:20:28 GMT

In article <8j0isf$fns$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason Bacon) writes:

> Try the Lexmark Optra Color 40.  This is a postscript level 2 printer,
> which means you won't need to configure ghostscript (a massive,
> bug-laden postscript interpreter) to make it work.
> I picked up an Optra 40 at buy.com a few weeks back for about $90, which
> is several hundred less than the next cheapest postscript printer.

Unfortunately, the Lexmark Optra 40 has long since been discontinued,
which is why you got such a good deal -- it was a closeout item on
buy.com. I just checked, and it's no longer listed on buy.com's
clearance page, so unless they've hidden the listing, they don't have
any more. It's conceivable that interested buyers could still find one
somewhere (I think I heard that egghead.com had some at one point), but
I wouldn't rely on the printer's availability.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

From: "Tom Brinkman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New Motherboard
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 10:20:34 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jason B
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> that after you get windoze settled down, run 'scanreg /fix'
>> followed by 'scanreg /opt' from a DOS (not DosMode) prompt.  I
>> use this as a regular method of maintaining the registry.  I
>> never have to re-install Windoze.   I run Mandrake 7.1, it's
>> excellent at detecting and setting up new hardware.
>> --
>
> Okay thanks Tom. I surely haven't heard of this 'scanreg' though.
> That must be a Windoze '98 thing I take it?

    For the life of me I can't remember, I started running beta
builds of 95 and then beta builds of 98.  Edit 'msdos.sys' to
BootGUI=0, or use TweakUI to do the same.  You'll stop booting
at a DOS7.1 prompt (suitable for doing anything including bios
flashes, Windoze is not present)  then just type 'win' to start
Winblows.

  'scanreg /fix' completely rebuilds the registry, 'scanreg /opt'
compresses it.  I keep some old DOS (5.0 -> 6.22) files on the HDD
including 'dosshell'.  I then use dosshell to keep a good copy of
'system.dat' and 'user.dat' (which are the registry) in my C:\
directory for backup.  I've found that regular maintanence of the
registry is the best way to minimize Winblow's screwups.  If you
can get it to where there's nothin but a path statement in autoexec.bat,
and config.sys is completely empty, that helps Windoze stability
a lot too.

  'Bout all I use windoze for is flying airplanes, and it's handy to
have 'pure' DOS for hacking Windoze files and doing bios flashes.
--
~~   Tom Brinkman    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: Choice of Linux / Unix as second OS
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 15:25:50 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Mike Webb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> Your second OS should be BeOS. It's downloadable
>> for free from http://free.be.com and it has a much smaller
>> learning curve compared to Linux.
>
> Educate me. What can you DO with BeOS? My understanding is that BeOS's app
> support is pretty meager. Specifically, what freeware exists for BeOS?

A lot of GNU stuff has been ported to BeOS. (It's got partial POSIX
support, so this task isn't that difficult, at least for text-mode
programs.) Check http://www.bebits.com for details.

Certainly BeOS isn't the OS to choose if you want the widest possible
software selection, but there's enough software available to make it a
functional OS for some tasks.

From: Christoph Lechner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Troubles setting up bootpd
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 17:28:38 +0200

Hallo zusammen,

I had troubles setting up bootpd on a SuSE 6.2 box.

"ipconfig -a" returns that NIC eth1 (IP=192.168.0.2)
has multicasting enabled; the server can receive the
client's packets ("netstat -i"), but he doesn't send
anything.

bootptest (executed on the server) doesn't print a
result, but bootpd is started in both cases.

Thnx for your advice!

---[snip]---
Some stuff from /etc/inetd.conf:
================================
tftp    dgram   udp     wait    nobody  /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.tftpd
/tftpboot
bootps  dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/bootpd        bootpd

=====

The complete file /etc/bootptab:
================================

global:\

:sm=255.255.255.0:\

        :ht=ethernet:\

        :hd=/tftpboot:\

        :ds=192.168.0.2:\

        :gw=192.168.0.2:\

        :bf=client:\

client:tc=global:ha=00A0C912956C:ip=192.168.0.1:
---[snip]---

------------------------------

From: Christoph Lechner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Troubles setting up bootpd on SuSE 6.2
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 17:32:28 +0200

Hi,

I had troubles setting up bootpd on a SuSE 6.2 box.

"ipconfig -a" returns that NIC eth1 (IP=192.168.0.2)
has multicasting enabled; the server is receiveing the
client's packets ("netstat -i"), but he doesn't send
anything.

bootptest (executed on the server) doesn't print a
result, but bootpd is started in both cases.

Thnx for your advice!
- C. Lechner

From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,nf.comp.linux
Subject: Re: Cut and Paste in Linux/KDE....
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 10:29:46 -0500

Raymond McLaughlin wrote:

> "Peter T. Breuer" wrote:
> >
> > The Almighty One <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > : there are only 2 buttons - no center button ... for most users ... again - the
> >
> > Hit both buttons together.
> >
> > : ease of use of M$ global clipboarding ... would be a big thing if Linux GUI's
> >
> > You are confused. That ctrl or alt V/C/X thing is unweildy. It's
> > far easier to swipe and click. It's the classical way. That MS fouled
> > up by making up a different and more difficult way is their problem.
> >
> > Peter
> Could you please elaborate on "swipe and click"? I take it that this is
> something that will work for all applications that run in kde?

Not just kde, but X. Just highlight the text, it's automatically copied
the center button then paste it wherever the pointer is.
--

Bob Martin

------------------------------

From: Rafael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux as a client :-(
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 17:59:54 +0200

I agree about fonts. It is the bigest problem in X application. I have
installed all Windows TrueType fonts, but still I can't get Latin2 fonts.
Thus I can not use linux as my primary computer at home.
I can use it as a server but not as a Desktop. The fonts, special local
fornts are the big problem. Only one program  the Gimp can work with the
fonts. StarOffice 5.2 is still faraway to work with fonts.

Rafael

------------------------------

From: Rob Komar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ELF STABS
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 23:15:12 -0700

Paolo Valota <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It is possible to have the syntax of the ELF STABS used by the last version
> of the gcc compiler?

There's some documentation that comes with the gdb source code.  The stabs
output by gcc don't exactly match what's in the gdb docs, but it's pretty
close.

Cheers,
Rob Komar

------------------------------

From: Joachim Feise <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,nf.comp.linux
Subject: Re: Why can't I unmount....?????
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 08:51:32 -0700

Hendrix wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Why is it that unmounting doesn't always work...???  Sometimes I try to
> unmount a specific filesystem and the system will return a message
> saying that the device is busy, and cannot be unmounted...  This message
> is persistant even after I use the 'sync' command...   The filesystem
> doesn't seem to be busy...  Sometimes the specifed mount is completely
> empty with no files on the filesystem at all...But yet, the busy message
> is still sent to the screen...

If you are running a program that is located on that filesystem you will
get this message. Also, if you are in a directory on that filesystem,
you also will get that response.

-Joe

------------------------------

From: Floris Hammer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.x,nl.comp.os.linux.overig,nl.comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: X server crashes with nvidia-driver
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 17:56:24 +0200

I forgot to tell that if I run the 'install.sh' script from the src
directory of the kernel driver before starting x, everything works fine.

I tried doing cat /proc/pci and found out that my soundcard and NVdriver
were on the same irq, so I removed my sound from the kernel, but that
didn't work...

any other ideas?

------------------------------

From: Rafael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: StarOffice 5.2 :-(
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 18:04:42 +0200

Hej!
I was waiting for new version of StarOffice with big hope that I can use
Latin2 True Type fonts (easter Europe). But Sun disapoited me, I still
can not use Notional True Type fonts.
I have still use Windows as a my primary computer, becouse the problem
with national fonts.

Rafael

------------------------------

From: Rafael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: AMD K6-III - hanging
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 13:26:24 +0200

My still Linux hangs. I tried evrything I thought it could be a problem.

 I run on the same
computer Windows 98 and it works without  hangings. I would like use
only Linux on this computer but I can't. It hangs (freeze), the reset
button could not restart computer (black screen). I have to turn power
of (Hard reset). Please help me. What could be the reason.
I have Epox MVP3C2 mainboard, I use S3 868 PCI graphic card with 2 Mb
RAM on it.
 I downloaded lately new kernel 2.14-12 and instaled it. After it things

went worst, my computer started eaven hangs at lower speed of the
processor.
It is realy strange that when I am adding additional PCI card I have to
slow down the speed of the mainboard and processor.

I have in my computer:
Modem Zoltrix Internal Sp Phone V.34 (ISA)
TurtleBeach Malibu Sound card (ISA)
Realtek 8029 Network card (PCI)
Realtek 8129 Network card (PCI)
S3 Vision 868 PCI graphic card
Hard Drive 27 GB IBM - IDE ATA-66 - master on first controler
CD Rom x 32 slave on second controler

When I changed Voltage from 2.4 to 2.8 of the core (processor) it little

help and it is not hanging so often. But than my procesor geting hotter.

I tried changing cards in slots , I take one network card away, but it
did not help. I tried 3 different bioses, without help.

Please give me some advice, I starting be mad about this problem.
Why the same computer not hang in Windows 98 (never) but in Linux very
often and it freeze tottaly, no responce and I have turn of power to
restart it, reset button did not restart it.
It hangs also in text mode, so it means that it is not related to X
Window.

Rafael

------------------------------

From: Rafael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Linux Hangs (freeze) HELP.
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 13:34:08 +0200

Hej Brian!
Thanks for your answers.
Maybe I will give you more info. I have AT power suplie not ATX.  I was chacking
also by special equipment how many energy my computer take. And it showed 44 Watts
in LInux and 64 in Windows (Microsoft), when I instaled Hmonitor (program making
halt) the consumtion was the same as in Linux but it not hangs.
Can you tell me why it hangs not so often if I change Voltage to 2.8 from 2.4.
But I checked also that the total power consumtion is the same 44Watts.
Please help me if you have any advice.

Sincerely
your
Rafael