  Re: Sun Sparc faster then intel pentium: is this true???? ("Dave Schanen")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.lang.c,comp.lang.c++
Subject: Help port Palm C++ prog to Linux
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 23:55:39 GMT

Hi All,
I have a freware Palmpilot C++ program that I'd like to port to Linux. I
have authorization from the author of the program to do the conversion.
I'm very poor in C++. I'm looking for help in the port. I'm willing to
pay for the port.

The program involves astronomical calculations. Please contact me at
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] if you can help.
thanks in advance.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (sleddog)
Subject: Re: Binary <> 1.-Telenet @ NT 2.-Scanner
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 00:12:26 GMT

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000 17:22:07 +0200, Binary <.@.> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>1.- I want to know if there's any program that provides a full
>featured telnet -unix way- over winnt systems.

THis has nothing to do with linux... but as I once spent
considerable time struggling with the same issue, I'll share what I
learned:

1. NT doesn't include telnet support, until you pay more money for
the resource kit (or whatever it's called). A great networking OS
hey?

2. There are some freeware telnet daemons to be found on the
freeware/shareware sites. They work, but to run them as a *service*
rather than a user application you need to find more third-party
software, or buy the resource kit....

3. Once you've got it all installed and working, you find you've
wasted your time because you can't *do* anything. Without the GUI NT
is crippled (OK, someone is gonna say it's crippled *with* the GUI
:-)

--
sleddog

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 18:37:14 +0200
From: Herren Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Why can't I unmount....?????

Guardian wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Jun 2000 03:30:27 -0230, Hendrix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Hi guys,
> >
> >Why is it that unmounting doesn't always work...???  Sometimes I try to
> >unmount a specific filesystem and the system will return a message
> >saying that the device is busy, and cannot be unmounted...  This message
> >is persistant even after I use the 'sync' command...   The filesystem
> >doesn't seem to be busy...  Sometimes the specifed mount is completely
> >empty with no files on the filesystem at all...But yet, the busy message
> >is still sent to the screen...
> >
> >Anyone...???
> >
> >Thanks,
>
> Don't crosspost.
>
> Sometime you may be in the directory that is mounted.  For example, if
> I mount a cdrom and then cd /cdrom.  Then I can't umount it while I'm
> in it cause it 's in use.  All you do, cd to go back to ~/ and then
> umount /cdrom.
>
> Guardian

also if you started an application from this filesystem, you won't be able
to unmount it befor you stopped this application
--

micro$oft sells you windows, Linux let you build your own house for free
http://www.linux-gull.ch/

Martin Herren    http://www.on-the-web.ch/sputnik

------------------------------

From: Craig McCluskey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie whinning for help !!!
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 19:40:10 -0500

********** BAD IDEA! *************
> or
> 'export PATH=.:$PATH'

======== VERY BAD IDEA!!! =========

Use ./myprog as others have suggested. The ways listed above are
security problems, especially the latter and especially with root.
(So, let's say some one has put "rm -rf /" in a shell script named
ls in /tmp and root goes to /tmp and wants to see what's there:
ls <return>. The results are very bad.)

Craig

------------------------------

From: westar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Opening Ports - Read
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 00:20:06 +0000

Hi, I need a little bit of help.

o How is it possible to open ports in Linux?
  - For example how could I open port 23 or close 21 etc...

thanks

------------------------------

From: "The Supreme Overlord" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can I run X on an old laptop?
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 00:53:45 GMT

I'm inclined to believe that you may have one of those systems with shared
video RAM.  Which means that 2 megs of your 24 is being used to run your
graphics card, so when X is running it places a huge demand on the memory
bus, slowing everything else down.  I don't know of any way to change this
or fix this besides getting a different laptop that doesn't share its video
memory.

SupremeOverlord
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 22:26:12 +0200
From: Reinhard Karcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Setting keyrepeat with SUSE6.4

Dances With Crows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 13:57:56 +0200, Sam Jordan
>>I am already trying for ages to get the keyrepeat working fine. After
>>another SUSE upgrade the problem happens again: there is a big delay
>>from the time the key is pressed until the first character is written.
>>

>As root, execute
>kbdrate -r 30 -d 250
>and see if that helps.  If so, put that line in /sbin/init.d/boot.local
>.  Also, the KDE control panel has an option to change key repeat rate and
>delay for individual users under X.

Change rc.config, either using yast (menue point: system administration)
or your favorite editor.
 Reinhard

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 22:28:47 +0200
From: Reinhard Karcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: adding another IP to eth0

Stearns25 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi all,

>I am looking for the the command for adding anothe IP address to ethernet card
>eth0 on my RH Linux 6.1 box?  Is there such command or do I need to modify some
>files to accomplish this?

Search the documentation for IP-alias. Your kernel must be compiled
with that option.

 Reinhard

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 22:32:17 +0200
From: Reinhard Karcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD burning software (besides cdrecord)!

Mats Pettersson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Is there any easy to use CD-record software for Linux?

>I looked at cdrecord but it seems to need enogh HD drive space to contain a
>image file of the data to be burned. Since the problem is that i don't have
>much space left on my drive i would like to burn the data directly to the
>CD.

You could use mkisofs and cdrecord with a pipe between both. Then there
is no nees for the isoimage. Your cpu and disk have to be fast enough.
Test it, before you actually burn.

 Reinhard

------------------------------

From: Stephen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Any recommendations for distributions?
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 00:55:25 GMT

Hello!

I am a C programmer looking for a stable and proven Linux distribution
that will meet my needs. It needs to have gcc & etc., web server, news
server, email server, ftp server, web browser, networking utitlities, X
window system, Perl, PPP, multi-user, multi-tty, boot-loader that will
let me choose to boot in Win95 or Linux, and it doesn't have to be very
user-friendly.

Any recommendations? I'm leaning towards Slackware 7.0 right now, but I
want to be sure it will not be like the RedHat 5.0 distribution that I
bought a few years ago (it had so many problems, I found it to be a
waste of money and completely useless).

Also, can anyone point me to a good, comlete list of drivers for any
Linux distribution?

Have a good day!
Stephen
--
Please do not email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: Any recommendations for distributions?
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 01:34:11 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <8j3l9p$ksm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Stephen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hello!
>
> I am a C programmer looking for a stable and proven Linux distribution
> that will meet my needs. It needs to have gcc & etc., web server, news
> server, email server, ftp server, web browser, networking utitlities, X
> window system, Perl, PPP, multi-user, multi-tty, boot-loader that will
> let me choose to boot in Win95 or Linux, and it doesn't have to be very
> user-friendly.

Oddly enough, your requirements don't really narrow down the field very
much, unless that last one is interpreted as being "it should not be
user-friendly." All Linux distributions either come with these tools or
allow you to install them very easily.

> Any recommendations? I'm leaning towards Slackware 7.0 right now, but I
> want to be sure it will not be like the RedHat 5.0 distribution that I
> bought a few years ago (it had so many problems, I found it to be a
> waste of money and completely useless).

Without knowing what problems you had with RH 5.0, I can't offer any
advice or know whether any specific modern distribution today is better
in these respects.

You may want to check my web site on Linux distributions:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/distribs/

> Also, can anyone point me to a good, comlete list of drivers for any
> Linux distribution?

With *VERY* rare exceptions, drivers are no distribution-dependant.
Linux drivers are built into the kernel, or are available as kernel
modules. You can compile any kernel for any distribution. (Well, within
reason; particularly old kernels might not work well with new
distributions, for instance.) The kernel configuration utilities are
therefore the single most complete driver list, but there are outside
drivers. Probably the biggest such sources are the ALSA
(http://www.alsa-project.org/) and shareware OSS
(http://www.4front-tech.com/) sound drivers. There are probably other
links available at http://www.linux.org/ and other sites.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

From: Theivarayan Prakash <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ppp0 failed at bootup
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 09:38:34 +0800

Hi,

ppp0 failed at boot up...what could be the cause?? Please help. Thank
you.

Theivarayan Prakash

From: Toni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Opening Ports - Read
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 04:03:28 +0200

Well that depends on the things you want to do with that port.

If you want to use port 23 for what it is intended to be then this is
telnet...you "open" or activate telnet when you fire up a telnet daemon
commonly named "telnetd". then port 23 is commonly open.

21 is the default port for FTP and you shutdown this capability when you
kick your ftp daemon off the system. Then 21 is closed.

All ports from 1 to ...AFAIK 1024 are defined standard ports...you can
read their definition in some kind of RFC. All Ports above that number
are user defined...you can use them for you own purposes up to port
65536.

If you want to use these ports for your own programs, then you should
probably go to someting like comp.lang.perl.* et.al

> o How is it possible to open ports in Linux?
>   - For example how could I open port 23 or close 21 etc...

Greetz,
Toni.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jerry McBride)
Subject: Building a speedboat... need tips and suggestions...
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 22:06:38 -0400

Hey.

I'm getting ready to buy some new hardware and I'm a bit stuck on motherboard
choices. I could use anyone's feedback on success or failures related to my
choices. Thanks in advance.

I'd like to use AMD's k7 on any reliable motherboard that sports at least 2
ISA card slots. My choices are narrowed down to:

- BIOSTAR M7MKA
- GIGABYTE GA-7IX
- MICROSTART MS6167

If anyone is using any of these and running either linux or OS/2, please let
me know how you're making out. I'm most intested in what you have to say about
the motherboard you picked. Also if you had any special driver problem related
to Linux or OS/2.

Also... can someone clear up an old, confused mind? If a plain old IDE
harddrive is plugged into one of the newer UDMA33 or UDMA66 controllers...
will it still work correctly? Performance is not an issue, I just need to
know if I'll be able to access the old iron on the new silicon.

Thanks, in advance, Guys and Gals.

* NetRexx - The onramp to the Internet - http://www2.hursley.ibm.com/netrexx  *

From: "Dave Schanen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.sun.hardware,comp.sys.sun.misc
Subject: Re: Sun Sparc faster then intel pentium: is this true????
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 21:29:27 -0500

"Carl J. Boll" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8j327t$1rn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On a foggy, gloomy day, Dave Schanen's fingers typed:
> >
> > > When it comes to pure processing speed the current winner in
> > > this debate is Intel, no doubt about it.
> > There is a doubt, or it wouldn't be debated at all.  If all you define
speed
> > as is clock frequency without regard for architecture, then intel
systems
> > are faster, but it's obvious a sun will outperform an IA32 machine
clocked
> > higher, even on the many overhyped benchmarks.
>
> The proof please?  I've seen the benchmarks.  In a processor
> battle with >NO< other considerations the Intel processor >WILL<
> win.  If you had read my entire post before replying you would
> understand that I am not pro-Intel nor am I pro-Sun.  In a
> small business Suns are just not affordable.
Duh.  I said that in my previous post. They're not soho machines, they're
workstations.  >IF< you read my previous post you would realize I think
benchmarks are bogus.  I'm curious what this 'processor battle' to which you
refer is, and what 'pure processing speed' is?  If you mean instructions per
second, then an intel chip will get creamed since it isn't risc based and
relies on things like mmx, superpipeling, etc. for performance.  To say sun
lost the spec int and fp tests is hardly fair either, since all thats listed
was hardware that was outdated at the time with sun's low end compiler
against intel's high end complier, on a chipset which was scarcely available
for purchase when the benchmark came out.  Given the lack of competitors to
ibm and intel machines the contest looks quite rigged, especially since the
fastest alpha on there is no where near what digital produced before compaq
bought them out.

> > > However, when looking at a system to serve files, process
> > > data and manage multiple tasks processing speed isn't the
> > > only criteria.
> > >
> > > Sun builds expensive, reliable well designed (for the most
> > > part) servers and clients that can be installed easily and
> > > do what they are designed to do.  Solaris (and SunOS) has
> > > gone through many revisions and even without any add on
> > > suites it is remarkably reliable.
> > >
> > > This isn't the case with Intel machines.  First you have
> > > to decide either on a motherboard (and chipset) or a PC
> > > manufacturer (like Dell, Compaq or H. P.) and then go from
> > > there.  If you make a poor choice in motherboards the CPU's
> > > speed won't count for much.
> > >
> > > I personally have a Tyan Tomcat IV with dual P-233 MMX CPU's
> > > for my own personal server.  I also have several older
> > > Suns on my personal network as well.  They are very good
> > > machines and extremely reliable.  My main server up until
> > > 4 years ago was a Sun 3/160.  I still use it as a Point of
> > > Sale server at antique computer shows with 16 serial terminals
> > > and at least as many clients on the ethernet.
> > >
> > > If I am installing a network in a small business for P. O. S.
> > > (point of sale) I look at exactly what is required.  One of
> > > the biggest factors is going to be cost and reliability.  For
> > > such an application I generally suggest that an Intel based
> > > server be used with Windows 9X as an OS and Intel based
> > > computers be used for terminals.  In a small application
> > > like this where only employees have access, there are no
> > > external data lines and the most intensive access is still
> > > small (less than 5 terminals) there is no need for stringent
> > > security, high bandwidth, etc.  Cost is the main focus in a
> > > very small business application as well as maintainability.
> > > They can't afford a system administrator so it becomes a very
> > > important factor that there be only one OS and that it be
> > > easy to use.  I haven't found NT to be as reliable in these
> > > cases (calls back to installations for troubleshooting).
> > >
> > > In a medium sized install where money is tight I am now
> > > looking at Intel machines (Dell, HP and Compaq) for servers
> > > running LINUX and VMWare and running Windows on the server
> > > (NT or 9X) especially if it is a WAN or is used to access
> > > the internet.  LINUX can be used as a firewall in this case
> > > and requires only minimal maintainance while providing very
> > > good security.
> > It's funny that anything better than NT provides 'good' security these
days.
> > If you want security openbsd or solaris has a considerably better track
> > record than Linux, and both run on intel hardware.
> > >

> NT can provide decent security too but it isn't well documented.
> This probably so that you have to get certified, a real pain in
> the butt and just Microsoft's mentality.  Out of the box NetBSD,
> Solaris, AIX, SCO, LINUX and even NeXtstep provide better
> security than NT.
NT is full of holes, and even if you had the source you could never close
them all, what it needs is a complete rewrite from the ground up, but ms
seems happy with the holes, after all they need to check all our pIII serial
numbers ya know...
> > > At this point I should mention that P. O. S. software runs
> > > under MS-DOS.
> > The machine I operate at a factory this summer runs it's program on
MS-DOS,
> > we have to throw the main switch every time we set up for a new set of
parts
> > for no particular reason...
>
> Sure there is a reason.  The software is poorly designed or the
> hardware is poorly designed.  This isn't the fault of the OS.
> MS-DOS provides plenty of hooks for monitoring IRQ's and there
> is no reason you need to reset the power >IF< the software is
> written properly.  It's obvious that the software is either
> unable to properly reset the hardware without a powerdown or
> the hardware wasn't designed to change configurations without
> a powerdown.  One of three things is happening here, either the
> hardware needs a powerdown, this being not computer related or
> the interface doesn't provide a way to reset without the computer
> being reset.  The third thing it may be is that the program is
> not written properly.  It should be able to reset the computer
> but that may have been overlooked.  No matter what, it isn't
> a problem with the processor or the OS.  The same program ported
> to Solaris on a Sun would have the same problems.
Automatically it's the application programmers fault?  DOS has no crash
recovery, and basically sucks.  Beyond that the crappy compaq hardware has
worn out after 3 years use, which is the norm for most intel systems.

> [...]
> > > true of an operating system.  No one OS or computer is the
> > > answer to all installations or problems.  A good consultant
> > > understands that and makes decisions decided on the needs
> > > of his customer not on his preferences.  He tries to give
> > > his client the proper tools to do the job.  I love Suns
> > > but they aren't affordable for a lot of small applications
> > > and they just can't be recommended because I like them.
> > The "suns are good for internet servers only" mentality is silly.  For
any
> > sort of scientific data analysis suns are the only way to go, hence
their
> > brisk workstation sales.  A friend of mine does uses an mri scanning
> > technology for part of a academic cancer research project, and the
analysis
> > of the data is done by, guess what, an ultra 60.  The pci rev 2.1 slots
> > which all the ultra's but the 5's and 10's use are 66 mhz, I'm not aware
of
> > any stock desktop pc systems which support this speed outside of the AGP
> > slot. Sun workstations are cheap as far as workstations go as well, take
> > look at ibm's rs6000 line sometime.  All the of decent scientific
software
> > is only available for Unix systems as well, try and find a decent
fortran
> > implementation for intel and NT.  As far as sun systems being too
expensive,
> > these are engineering/scientifc machines and servers, they're not meant
for
> > use for playing games and doing spreadsheets.  If you wanted a cost
> > effective solution for a WAN, the sunray systems are available, and it's
> > many times more efficent to have a half dozen sunrays sharing a servers
> > files (and more secure) than to have 12 dells which spend 99 percent of
> > their 600 mhz pIII clock cycles idle anyway.   Suns are a better long
term
> > solution as well, since solaris still supports it's legacy systems with
each
> > new release, unlike NT 5 which requires, what? A 266 with 96 megs of ram
> > play solitaire and run word?  Linux is nice, and would certainly make
intel
> > machines shine but is in need of some serious standardization and a
little
> > less hype and more 3rd party support.
> >

> But I never said they were good for internet servers only, now did I?
> As to Suns being engineering/scientific platforms, what a load of B. S.
> They are computers designed to handle a tremendous amount of network
> traffic and throughput.  This makes them good engineering and good
> scientific platforms but they are designed for long amounts of uptime,
> reliability and excellent throughput.
>
> As to the mri scanning, I have a friend who is in the field.  Many
> mri machines are Intel based running OS-9 (a real time OS by Microware).
Being a University, the group I know they looked at several different
solutions for their project, and sun had the cheapest one.  There are many
grades and types of mri scanners, I know the machine they use costs
approximately 500,000 dollars US every time they use it, and the research is
somehow related to the genetics of cancer, and  my friend's biomolecular
engineering degree, but since that's definitely not my area of expertise I
don't have many specifics.  The numbers speak for themselves though, sun
systems are hugely popular with Universities.

> I am familiar with the RS6000 too as well as AIX.  These machines are
> overpriced and AIX is a pain in the butt, just like Solaris, just
> non-UNIX-standard enough to make the learning curve high.  As far as
> the hardware goes though it is an excellent machine, just not very
> cost effective when compared to a Sun.
Unix systems have always had a high learning curve,but  what exactly is
UNIX-standard?  They're both SVr4 and posix compliant, what more need there
be?

> Now, how would you explain your Sunray theory?  6 machines on a server
> as opposed to 12 Dells?  If I only needed 6 machines why would I buy
> 12 Dells?  Seems like we are talking about apples and oranges here.
A typo, what I meant to point out is that a workgroup with an enterprise
server and a dozen or so sunrays is mucho cheaper than a dozen intel
machines on desktops running offiice.  At  less than 400 bucks a pop for a
sunray and at least 1500 for a desktop pc running office 2000 a sunray
cluster is a considerably better deal in a workgroup.  StarOffice is
becoming more client/server in upcoming versions, but with X windows
seperation of client and server sides of it's functionallity it's more than
possible to run the processor intensive end of office applications on the
server while someone uses it on the sunray end.
> Finally, Solaris supports their legacy systems?  Since when?  I have a
> 3/160 that is locked in at SunOS 4.1.1U, a 4/200 that is locked in at
> SunOS 4.3 (I believe), an IPX, an IPC, a Sparc 1+ that are locked in at
> Solaris 7 since Sun dropped support for these platforms in Solaris 8.
> Get your facts straight.
>
> It makes no sense to support outdated platforms beyond a reasonable
> period and Sun does that just as NT does.  Each version of SunOS has
> required more hard disk space and more memory and has run a little
> slower.  This is due to more processes, more features and probably
> a little to poor programming.  If you don't believe me just boot up
> a Sparc 1+ with SunOS 2.4 and then boot the same machine with the
> latest version of Solaris that supports it, Solaris 7.  Try doing
> something now.  How about copying say 20 Megs from one drive to
> another.  Want to guess which version of the OS will do it faster?
No corporation would support anything indefinately, but anything more than
two years is more than considerably better than Microsoft's amazing ability
to make powerful computers seem outdated with each service pack, and Intel
is without a doubt a motivating factor for them to do this.  Sun has
promoted efforts to port Linux to the sparc platform, and maintain
docs.sun.com with documentation on older suns even though they don't
officially support them anymore.

Dave