Linux-Misc Digest #966, Volume #24               Wed, 28 Jun 00 09:13:01 EDT

Contents:
  fonts appear all as black boxes ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  can't install gdk-pixbuf in redhat ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  .mp3's play choppy. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Sane scanner pb ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  kernels modules not loading automatically after kernel upgrade
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  kernel 2.2.5 question ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Number key pad mapping in Matlab (Linux)? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  PCMCIA problem ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  kde tasklist ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Please introduce me a book for linux specific functions. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Rebuilt kernel, can't find DAC960 module ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  kde tasklist ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  fonts appear all as black boxes ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  How to contact Apache remotely. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  mouse garbage ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  How do I find my tape drive ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  How to contact Apache remotely. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  copying a newer kernel to an existing installation ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  How do I find my tape drive ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  I can't get REDHAT 6.2 to work ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Simple questions: Pronounce, FreeBSD, pico etc....*s* ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Zoom Modems ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  fetchmail: SMTP error: 451 Sender domain must resolve ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  .mp3's play choppy. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Mounting from rescue disks ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  insmod failed? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  kernel 2.2.5 question ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: fonts appear all as black boxes
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:23 GMT

From: Christoph Kukulies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hal Burgiss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: On 27 Jun 2000 10:47:59 GMT, Christoph Kukulies
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:>Gnome/RH 6.1:
:>SiS 6326 PCI 4MB 24 bpp (also with 8bpp , IIRC)
:>XFree86 3.3.5
:>
:>
:>Several fonts, 75dpi, misc (fixed) appear as single colored
:>fg=bg solid boxes in Gnome applications and xterms.
:>
:>I suspect it could have something to do with glyphs and the
 Xserver.
:>
:>Any ideas? Known problem?

: Have you tried the RH updates? IIRC, there was a problem with this
: server. Check the errata at redhat.com. Also, 24bpp can be
 squirelly,
: Try 16.

Tried that too to no avail.

Hmm. I didn't see an XFree86 upgrade in the RH 6.1 errata section.
Should I look at xfree86.org?

: --
: Hal B
: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
: --

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: can't install gdk-pixbuf in redhat
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:23 GMT

From: "Chris Ripp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"Tan Chee Sin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hello,
>
> I downloaded the rpm from
> http://www.redhat.com/swr/i386/gdk-pixbuf-0.5.0-1.i386_dl.html
> then I install with "rpm -ivh gdk-pixbuf-0.5.0-1.src.rpm", it seems
> install. But when I do a "rpm -qi gdk-pixbuf-0.5.0-1.src.rpm", it
> reported package gdk-pixbuf-0.5.0-1.src.rpm is not installed. So
 what's
> wrong?

After you've installed an RPM, don't refer to it by it's full
 package-file
name anymore.

Try 'rpm -qi gdk-pixbuf'

Unfortunately I'm not sure that 'src' rpms are even listed in the
 database,
as nothing really depends on them anyhow, so what's the point?  To
 check
what src rpms you've got, go to '/usr/src/redhat' and probably SPECS,
 which
will have all the .spec files of the source rpms you've installed.

hth - Chris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: .mp3's play choppy.
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:23 GMT

From: "Chris Ripp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"Nelson Muntz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED][snip]

I think the problem has more to do with how the guts of Linux works
 than
anything else.  I have the same problem on my K6-2-350.  Any
 "serious"
activity other than just simple viewing or typing makes xmms sound
 like a
tape jammed in the rollers.  Linux is simply giving up cpu cycles to
 the
other processes at the expense of xmms.  Not too much you can do
 about it,
really.  Xmms is a pretty big resource hog by itself (relatively
 speaking).
If you run into the problem so much you can't stand it, try using
 mpg123
from the command line.  It'll play 192k MP3s on my dinky P90 laptop
 (as long
as I'm not doing anything else :p )  So it should play a lot nicer
 with any
other apps you have going.

http://www.mpg123.de

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Sane scanner pb
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:24 GMT

From: Bruno Gadaleta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

hi i have a lot of pb with the use of sane.
I'm using mandrake 7.0 and it installed sane.
I have a scanner : hp scanjet 4p.
When i type 'scanimage -d hp:/dev/sga ' it tells me that there is an
 error with
the argument. I tried 'find-scanner -v' but it fails openning all the
 sgx.
i tried 'insmod' with the module sym53c..... and so on but it tells
 me that the
perpheric is busy..
Has anyone the same problems than me ?
What can I do ?
PLS reply with mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Thanx.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: kernels modules not loading automatically after kernel upgrade
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:24 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (blair christensen)

hello,
i recently upgraded the kernel on a dell poweredge 4400 running
 redhat
6.2.  stock it came with 2.2.14-5 with several loadable kernel
modules.  i compiled 2.2.16 (with the same kernel modules) on the box
yesterday.

the problem is that none of the modules are loaded automatically upon
boot any longer.  i can load them fine manually (and they are in fact
loaded upon boot.  obviously, this causes problems.

depmod doesn't report any errors when run.

any hints or suggestions?

thanks,
blair christensen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: kernel 2.2.5 question
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:24 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000 08:12:56 -0600, Kerry Cox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote:

>Jun 26 16:10:02 cam kernel: VFS: file-max limit 4096 reached

Something is opening a lot of files and not closing them.  Perhaps
 your
image conversion script is not exiting properly?

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Number key pad mapping in Matlab (Linux)?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:24 GMT

From: Alex Chu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Dear all:

I run Matlab version 5.3 on Linux. The number key pad does not seem
be functioning correctly. The problem I encounter is the following:
If the NumLock is on,
Key pressed     Result
1 :             q
2 :             r
3 :             s
4 :             t

If the NumLock is off, it just gives me nonsense stuff.

Sincerely.

Alex.
The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence
http://www.seti.org/

Registered with the Linux Counter. ID# 175126
http://counter.li.org/index.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: PCMCIA problem
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:24 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In article <nJ065.1798$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Mark Warnes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Can anyone help me sort out my PCMCIA problem?
>
> I am running Linux Mandrake 6.5 (Kernel 2.2.13 I think) on a Dell
Inspiron
> 3000 laptop but my PCMCIA cards (a Psion Gold v90 56k modem and a
Xircom
> 10/100 Ethernet) are not available.
>
> I have reinstalled the kernel-pcmcia-cs RPM which appears to have
 made
> pcmcia services startup correctly at boot time but the cards are
 not
> recognised and don't appear in the PCMCIA control panel.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas or tips about getting these cards
 working?
I have
> a lonely Linux machine that can't talk to anyone...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

It might help if you download the latest pcmcia cardservices source.
 Go
to http://pcmcia.sourceforge.org/ for info and the source. Then
 follow
the instruction to compile and install it. Restart pcmcia and see if
 it
helps. I don't know what version mandrake uses, but it's a revised
redhat, so it will probably be version 3.1.8. They are now currently
 at
3.1.17.

I had the same problem when I installed redhat 6.0 six months ago. It
was simply the fact that that version of pcmcia had no support for my
cards. Installed a new version and everything worked.

greetings,
erik

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: kde tasklist
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:24 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Lonni, I'm talking about switching between applications, such as
netscape, xemacs and konsole, for example. KDE, of course, allows one
to do it, but not as easily as Gnome.

Wroot

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Lonni J. Friedman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Well there are the very dependable "top" & "ps -e" commands.  Or
 you
> could use ktop if you're into GUI bloat.
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there an applet for the KDE panel similar to Gnome Tasklist?
> > (one-click switching between application) Windows has it, Gnome
 has
it,

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Please introduce me a book for linux specific functions.
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:24 GMT

From: "Tsuginosuke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Thank you very much for your answer.

I think I can get started.

"Vilmos Soti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Depends what you want to program. If you want gtk, then check out
 the
> documentation at www.gtk.org. Also, there are books about gtk, qt,
 etc.

> You can also find info about the glibc at fsf.org.

Tsugi

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Rebuilt kernel, can't find DAC960 module
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:24 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi all,

I have a PII SMP system running RedHat 6.2.  I have two logical
 drives
created from a Mylex DAC960 controller.

The RedHat install recognised the controller, and I'm actually
 booting
from the logical drive.  I assume this is handled by the kernel
a ramdisk to hold the appropriate modules (that initrd= line in lilo,
right?), which mount the appropriate filesystems, and everything is
 go.

I want to rebuild my kernel now, but I'm confused on some points.
First, can't I include the DAC960 module directly into the kernel so
don't have to use a ramdisk?  I can't find the DAC960 listed in
menuconfig's SCSI drivers section.

Also, I've read the how-to about kernel rebuilds, but it doesn't
 mention
"make modules" and "make modules_install", but other people say
 they're
needed.  Do I need these steps?  What are they for?

When I do the build, I get errors like "Kernel Panic, CRC error" or
"Cannot load DAC960.o".  Why can't my new kernel find that module?
 Any
suggestions?

Aaron

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:24 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Wroot
Right click on taskbar, and go to global panel properties.  Look for
task bar, itll ask you where you want it, right now it is hidden.
hope this helps

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:23 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)

 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>:>Gnome/RH 6.1:
>:>SiS 6326 PCI 4MB 24 bpp (also with 8bpp , IIRC)
>:>XFree86 3.3.5
>:>
>:>
>:>Several fonts, 75dpi, misc (fixed) appear as single colored
>:>fg=bg solid boxes in Gnome applications and xterms.
>:>
>:>I suspect it could have something to do with glyphs and the
 Xserver.
>:>
>:>Any ideas? Known problem?
>
>: Have you tried the RH updates? IIRC, there was a problem with this
>: server. Check the errata at redhat.com. Also, 24bpp can be
 squirelly,
>: Try 16.
>
>Tried that too to no avail.
>
>Hmm. I didn't see an XFree86 upgrade in the RH 6.1 errata section.
>Should I look at xfree86.org?

You're right, must've been thinking 6.0. You could always try the
 3.3.6
from 6.2. IIRC, that requires a glibc upgrade too though. You might
 also
try the search engine at redhat.

--
Hal B

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How to contact Apache remotely.
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:24 GMT

From: Philip Chapman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

alan wrote:

> Would like to know what exactly is involved. I know about localhost
 and
> 127.0.0.1 for local contact. Obviously, for remote contact I need
 to know
> my own unique IP address (where is that kept?). Then do I simply
 enter that
> from a remote loaction while this machine is on the internet??
 Please
> explain?? NB thanks so much for previous Linux help.

Based upon what you have asked, I'm assuming that you are using
 dialup
ISP services.  Most often, an IP address is assigned to your machine
from a pool of available addresses when you connect to your ISP's
network.  You will have
a different address each time you connect.  On a RedHat system you
 could
look in /var/log/messages for a line telling you what IP address you
have been assigned.

Assuming you know your assigned address is v.x.y.z, you could connect
apache from any computer on the internet using http://v.x.y.z/
--
Philip A. Chapman
IT Manager for Alliance TeleSolutions

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: mouse garbage
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:24 GMT

From: "dlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

i'm trying to setup my mouse for xwindows but whenever i select
 anything the
mouse moves to the right or left of the screen and won't budge.  but
 it
works fine in console?  any ideas?  its just a generic microcrap
 mouse...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How do I find my tape drive
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:24 GMT

From: "Jeff Malka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Thank you very much indeed.  Especially for the two links.  Great.

--
Jeff Malka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Dances With Crows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Tue, 27 Jun 2000 07:52:42 -0400, Jeff Malka
> <<Bx065.8637$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth
 into the
ether:
> >I have TurboLinux 6 workstatrion installed and am just learning to
 use
it.

> And did anyone point you to the man pages or the HOWTOs?
> http://linuxnewbie.org/
> http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/
> /usr/doc/howto/
>
> >I have a tape drive installed on my machine.  How do I find it
 under
Linux
> >and how would I do a complete backup of Linux to tape?
>
> If this is a SCSI tape drive, it's under /dev/nst0 (Non-rewinding
 SCSI
> Tape 0) and /dev/st0 (rewinding SCSI Tape 0).  If it's IDE, then
 it's
> under /dev/nht0 and /dev/ht0.  The time-honored tape archiver
 program is
> tar, but cpio and BRU have their partisans as well.  Check the info
 page
> for tar ("info tar") to find out more than you ever wanted to know,
 or
> check the HOWTO link above for the Backup-HOWTO.
>
> --
> Matt G / Dances With Crows      /\    "Man could not stare too long
 at the
face
> \----[this space for rent]-----/  \   of the Computer or her
 children and
still
>  \There is no Darkness in Eternity \  remain as Man." --David
 Zindell "So
did
> But only Light too dim for us to see\ they become Gods, or
Usenetters?" --/me

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:24 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000 10:30:03 GMT, alan
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>Would like to know what exactly is involved. I know about localhost
 and
>127.0.0.1 for local contact. Obviously, for remote contact I need to
 know
>my own unique IP address (where is that kept?). Then do I simply
 enter that
>from a remote loaction while this machine is on the internet??
 Please

To see which IP address(es) your machine currently has, enter
"/sbin/ifconfig" at the command line.  The "lo" interface is the
 loopback
network, which is always present and always 127.0.0.1.

To reach your machine from the outside world, you need nothing more
 than
an IP address and a network connection.  It's just
 http://208.176.111.37/
if you don't have a domain name.  However, static IPs are getting
 hard to
find these days.  Normally, cable modem/DSL/dialup service providers
assign you a dynamic IP via DHCP, and the IP of your machine can
 change
without warning, making it more difficult than it should be to
 connect to
your home computer.  There's a partial solution at http://dyndns.org
 .

If you want to access your machine using something like
http://my.place.org/ , then you need to purchase a domain name, and
 you
need to either run named and BIND on your machine (and probably have
 it up
24/7) or have your machine's IP and domain added to a nameserver
somewhere.

Further information available in the Net-3 HOWTO and Networking HOWTO
 on
http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/ .

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: copying a newer kernel to an existing installation
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:24 GMT

From: Christoph Kukulies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Christoph Kukulies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: How do I have to proceed, when I did a Linux (RH 6.1) installation
: and I want to exchange the kernel on the hard disk afterwards
 (because
: the installed kernel 2.2.12 panics - it is an SMP machine and
: I have working SMP kernels lying around on other machines)

I tried dd if=bzImage of=/dev/fd0
and rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/hda1
afterwards.

This boots fine from the floppy but then panics because kernel can't
find init. It suggests to use the init= option.

How do I get the init= option attached to such a dd'ed bzImage?

: --

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:24 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: I can't get REDHAT 6.2 to work
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:24 GMT

From: Tim Lyth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Dear Newsgroup,

I am a new user of linux and I am trying to get it installed on my
machine at home.  I can run the install program and when I choose to
install linux in a DOS/Windows partition, it copies all the data but
when I try to boot off it, it doesn't work, NOR does it load LILO.

However, when I choose to install in it a Native Linux partition on
/dev/hdc, it creates the partition, makes it bootable, attempts but
fails to create the filesystem.

I have a Pentium 166Mhz, 48Mb RAM, 3 hdd (8Gb, 1.2Gb, 87Mb (/dev/hda,
/dev/hdc, /dev/hdd), CD-ROM, Win98SE on /dev/hda1 (all 8Gb of
 /dev/hda),
nothing on the other two.  I only have three partitions (one on each
drive).

Cheers,

Tim Lyth

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Simple questions: Pronounce, FreeBSD, pico etc....*s*
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:24 GMT

From: Robert Wiegand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Big Daddy wrote:

> Scribbling furiously, Fro-Man managed to write....
> :> 2. GNU     ---  Is it spelled out, or pronounced "New"...
> : I usually pronouce it G-N-U, like the letters.
>
> as in, "guh-new"?  Or "gee-ehn-you"?  I always just said "new"... I
> believe this is more-or-less correct.... Gnu is a "real word" (an
> animal, actually), and is pronounced like that.

I believe that unlike the animal the "G" is supposed to be
 pronounced.

Bob Wiegand   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Zoom Modems
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:24 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lewis)

I am looking at purchasing a Zoom External Modem, it says that it is
PNP and works with windows and mac's. I was of the opinion all Ext's
work with Linux, any ideas. Thanks.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: fetchmail: SMTP error: 451 Sender domain must resolve
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:25 GMT

From: "G. Georgiev" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

        Hi,

        May someone please tell me how to get rid of the fetchmail error
when the sender domain can not be resolved? This breaks the
 connection and
all messages following are stuck on the mail server.

        I read fetchmail man page, did ry al options, but no luck.
        If I try wih netscape, it reads the message, but I prefer to fetch
them and read locally.

        Thanks, George.

center:~$ fetchmail
3 messages for [EMAIL PROTECTED] at imap.primus.ca (71249
 octets).
reading message 1 of 3 (1074 header octets) . (26441 body octets)
......................... flushed
reading message 2 of 3 (1066 header octets) . (25002 body octets)
........................ flushed
reading message 3 of 3 (888 header octets) fetchmail: SMTP error: 451
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>... Sender domain must resolve
fetchmail: SMTP error: 553 <georgiev>... Domain name required
fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from imap.primus.ca
fetchmail: Query status=10

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:24 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000 07:42:43 -0500, Chris Ripp
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>I think the problem has more to do with how the guts of Linux works
 than
>anything else.  I have the same problem on my K6-2-350.  Any
 "serious"
>activity other than just simple viewing or typing makes xmms sound
 like a
>tape jammed in the rollers.  Linux is simply giving up cpu cycles to
 the
>other processes at the expense of xmms.  Not too much you can do
 about it,
>really.  Xmms is a pretty big resource hog by itself (relatively
 speaking).

??  This is very different from my experiences.  For me, xmms on a
 K6-2
400 eats 5% of the CPU, and it's possible to run Netscape, Oracle 8i,
several xterms, distributed.net, serve files to the lan at 300K/s via
 NFS,
and compile a kernel all at the same time without hearing any
 skipping.
On a P-150, xmms eats more like 12% of the CPU, but it's possible to
 run
Netscape and a couple of xterms at the same time without causing
 skipping.

ISTR that certain releases of xmms had problems.  Get the latest
 version
from http://xmms.org/ or if you're using the latest version,
 downgrade a
couple of steps.  I'm using 1.0.1 FWIW.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Mounting from rescue disks
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:24 GMT

From: Christoph Kukulies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I am tryig to mount my hda5 root partition from a boot disk since I
 screwed
: up my XF86 config files and now can't log into my computer. When I
 try to

Why can't you log into your computer anymore just because you screwed

the XF86Config?

Have you tried to CTRL-ALT-F1 (or aother F keys) to get a
textual login prompt?

: mount it from my rescue disk it says, "couldm't mount RDWR because
 of
: unsupported optional features".

: Has anybody got any ideas what this means and how I can mount this
 partition?

: --
: Posted via CNET Help.com
: http://www.help.com/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: insmod failed?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:25 GMT

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"Devon Harding" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Here is a copy of my "conf.modules"
>     alias eth0 ne
>     options ne io=0x300 irq=10
>     alias eth1 3c509
>     options 3c509 io=0x320 irq=5
>     alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
>     pre-install pcmcia_core /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start
>
> I'm using RHL62

Then you should just be able to click the "start interface at boot
time" in the network control panel; or edit it manually in
/etc/sysconfig.

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:24 GMT

From: Kerry Cox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Howdy all. We're using an older kernel for use on a trafic link box
which captures traffic images and then converts them into .jpg images
for display on our web site. We're using a customized 2.2.5 kernel
 which
only supports the metoer module required to run our video capture
 card.
However, every evening it crashes. This is the error message I get in
/var/log/messages

Jun 26 16:10:02 cam kernel: VFS: file-max limit 4096 reached
Jun 26 16:10:10 cam kernel: Unable to load interpreter
Jun 26 16:12:00 cam kernel: Unable to load interpreter
Jun 27 04:02:00 cam last message repeated 2 times

This is the last message I get before it crashes totally. I have
 tried
recompiling the kernel is adjust for this option, but can't seem to
 find
anything that might be causing this. If anyone has any suggestions, I
would be more than happy to hear them. I need to make this box more
stable. Thanks.
KJ

--

|        Kerry J. Cox         |__|    [EMAIL PROTECTED]     |