Linux-Misc Digest #971, Volume #24               Wed, 28 Jun 00 09:13:01 EDT

Contents:
  Partitioning Software ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Problem with Star Office 5.2 and SuSE 6.4 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Telnet LINUX ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  How much memory do I need for this server ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Installing oracle8i ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Installing oracle8i ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  idled and xdm ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  removing soft links ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Gnome vs KDE ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  grouping database entries in StarOffice 5.2 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  mouse garbage ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Linux to Windows Network Help ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  How to contact Apache remotely. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Need clarification: what really is 'MBR' and what is 'BOOT SECTOR'?
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Gnome vs KDE ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  apropos nothing ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  getting software ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  changing monitor settings ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  changing monitor settings ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Simple questions: Pronounce, FreeBSD, pico etc....*s* ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Simple questions: Pronounce, FreeBSD, pico etc....*s* ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  getting software ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  apropos nothing ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  gcc --version ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Partitioning Software
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:29 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000 01:30:05 GMT, AnandPatel
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>I recently purchased Corel Linux OS Deluxe. Before I started to
 install I
>noticed that my hard drive needs to be partitioned prior to
 installation.
>The software did not come with partitioning software. Where can I
 find it?
>Which is the most reliable? And most importantly, which one is going
>allow me to run linux and windows 98 off of the same hard drive? Any
 help
>would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Did you Read The Fine Manual, paying particular attention to the
section about FIPS.EXE?  Damn Corel for not talking about this in
 their
Fine Manual if it's not in there, and shame on you if you didn't even
 look
in the Fine Manual.

Also, this is a FAQ.  http://linuxnewbie.org/ has a guide, as does
http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/

0. Defrag Lose9x partition.
1. Make bootable DOS disk, using FORMAT A: and SYS A: on a good
floppy.  Copy the FIPS.EXE program from the /dosutils/ directory on
 the
Corel CD to this bootable DOS floppy.  Use FIPS20; it works well.
2. Read the documentation for FIPS.  Don't proceed until you have.
3. Boot from DOS floppy, run FIPS.  FIPS will shrink your Lose9x
 partition
to whatever size you want (within limits) and create another DOS
 partition
which you will delete and use for Linux.
4. Boot from Corel CD.  When you get to the part about partitioning,
partition the disk manually.  You may want to leave /dev/hda1 alone
(that's your Lose9x installation) but delete any other partitions.
 Create
new Linux native and swap partitions, making the swap partition about
80-128M.  Continue with install.  Enjoy.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows      /\    "Man could not stare too long
 at the face

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Problem with Star Office 5.2 and SuSE 6.4
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:29 GMT

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I have both Star Office 5.1 and Star Office 5.2 on my PC.
Star Office 5.1 is the english version that came with SuSE 6.4
Star Office 5.2 is the french version downloaded from sun

Java crashes Star Office 5.2 but not 5.1

If I disable java with version 5.2 it doesn't crash anymore.
What could be the problem?

The version of Java that comes (forced by the installation of 5.1) is
 1.1.17

I had installed 1.1.18 and then 1.2.2 but the install of Star Office
 said that there were no
java runtime on those directory. If the version is a problem, how do
 I force Star Office to recognize
that version 1.1.18 or 1.2.2 are acceptable? Do I need to remove the
 older Star Office and java 1.1.17?

--
Vous en avez plein l'casse du plantage avec Ti-Mou?
C'est l'temps d'essayer Linux

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Telnet LINUX
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:29 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Herb Stein)

And that is the ONLY way root should ever get in.

>On 23 Jun 2000 13:06:46 GMT, J Bland
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--
Herb Stein
The Herb Stein Group

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How much memory do I need for this server
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:29 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Coile)

Lonni J. Friedman ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>David Rolfe wrote:
>> I am putting together a linux box that will sit on the internet
 that
>> students can telnet to do their programming assignments. We want
>> support 30 students. They will be only running telnet sessions in
 line
>> mode and compiling and running simple programs. The machine we
 have is a
>> 450 MHZ machine with 64 Megs of memory.
>
>I wonder how well that box is going to function if you have 30
 people
>simultaneously compiling code on it.  I think memory is the least of
>your concerns.

So long as they aren't compiling kernels or X, the machine is fine as
it stands (in fact, you could probably get by quite reasonably with
significantly less).

[...]
>>In addition, is there some configuration file somewhere that limits
 the
>>number of telnet sessions?

Not typically.  Why would you want to do this?

--
    Steve Coile

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Installing oracle8i
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:29 GMT

From: Sam Wun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Dear all,

Could anyone whom have successfully installed Oracle8i in Linux
 please
email
me a installation script?

Thanks very much
Sam

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:29 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)

[posted and mailed]
On Wed, 28 Jun 2000 13:58:20 +1000, Sam Wun
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:

What's up with that MIME garbage?  Plain text is the accepted
 standard for
Usenet; use it!

>Could anyone whom have successfully installed Oracle8i in Linux
 please
>email me a installation script?

*sigh*

The install procedure for Oracle8i is... complex, and a bit distro-
dependent, and certainly *NOT* something you can script as it
 requires
interactive user input through some @#$!ing Java program.  Which
 distro
are you using, what problems have you run into, and have you read the
documentation?  SuSE has an HTML file on their website where they
 provide
a patch for the Oracle installer and directions on how to get the
 thing
started; I assume Caldera, Turbo, and others besides RedHat have
 something
similar.

I ran into 5 or 6 problems with the install regardless.  SuSE creates
user called "oracle" who's supposed to do the install/assume DBA
privileges.  Log in as "oracle", start the installer, tell it where
 to put
$ORACLE_HOME, install goes all right.  Try to run the dbassist
 database
creation thingy, the Java program barfs.  Turned out that an
 environment
variable had to be set like so:
  ORA_NLS33=$ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data
and the installer had set it to $HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data while
 user
oracle's $HOME != $ORACLE_HOME in my case...  After setting this,
 dbassist
worked OK (in USA English; problems might arise for othe languages!)

The Net8 Java configuration program barfed no matter what I did,
 though,
so I just looked in the $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/samples directory
 for
the text files that said program fiddles with, messed with them
 manually
($DEITY bless vim) and copied them to $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin and
restarted the whole Oracle database using the Oracle startup/shutdown
script that the installer put in /sbin/init.d/ (that's
 /etc/rc.d/init.d/
for RedHat folks.)  After 3 repetitions of this and much cursing, I
 got it
to work properly.

ISTR that there was something else early on in the install process
 that
confused me, but I can't remember what it was now.  *shrug* read the
documentation, use your brain, and if all else fails, post to
comp.databases.oracle and see what the gurus there can tell you....

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: idled and xdm
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:29 GMT

From: May Yam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi all

Is there any package like 'idled' that kills idling X session from
remote X terminal.

I have tried setting up idled 1.16 on Redhat6.2 box and SuSE6.4
box (both with xdm on to manage some thin linux X terminals), idled
 did
not work. It seems that idled relies on wtmp and the 'last' or
 'finger'
commands on both boxes reported wrong login information (it either
missed the remote X session logon or it showed the wrong idle time
 for
the logon user). So does it have anything to do with the 'wrong'
 wtmp?
Does xdm and the remote sessions mess up wtmp?

What should I do? Please help! :(

Thankyou.

Regards
May

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: removing soft links
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:29 GMT

From: Kichi Leung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, Phil Reardon wrote:
>Recently I made a soft link by going into the target directory and
>issuing ln -s /home/myhome.  How can I delete this link, without
>removing  or looksing the stuff in myhome?

You won't lose the target of the link when you delete the link.
Just rm it like you would a normal file.
--

=====
Kichi Leung

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Gnome vs KDE
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:29 GMT

From: Kichi Leung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Hi,

<snip>

>released soon). How come Gnome is RedHat's default desktop?

Maybe the folks at Redhat like Gnome, so they set it as default.
But you don't have to follow them.
--

=====
Kichi Leung

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: grouping database entries in StarOffice 5.2
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:29 GMT

From: Reinhard Karcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Nestor Kelebay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>     I am self employed and currently use Microsoft Works v.4 for
 all my
>office needs.  One of the features I need in an integrated office
 software
>suite is the ability to group database entries according to a
 particular
>column entry.  For example, if I enter costs for each project I am
 working
>on, and I assign each project a number in that database, I need the
>database software to be able to group all of the entries with that
 project
>number together, add up the costs and report a total cost for each
 project.
>I can do that now in MS Works, but I can't seem to find any command
 to do
>that in StarOffice 5.1.  Does StarOffice 5.2 have that capability?

Look for queries in the documentation. As I use the german version,
 I'm
not quite shure about queries, it can be found in the context menu of
 the
database tables.

Reinhard

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: mouse garbage
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:29 GMT

From: Kichi Leung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, dlw wrote:
>i'm trying to setup my mouse for xwindows but whenever i select
 anything the
>mouse moves to the right or left of the screen and won't budge.  but
 it

Sounds like X doesn't know your mouse type yet, so that's what it
 does with the
pointer until it knows what protocol it uses and other vital stuff.

If you use XF86Setup, don't move the mouse until you have selected
 the protocol
(use "p") and applied the changes ("a").

And disable gpm (use "killall gpm") before starting X.

=====
Kichi Leung

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Linux to Windows Network Help
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:30 GMT

From: Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I have a PII 333MHz Windows box running with a cable modem on it.  It
 has
a Netgear FA310TX Fast Ethernet PCI Card in it that is connecting it
the linux box and it has another PCI card for the modem.  I just
 recently
installed Red Hat 5.1 on my other box witch is 200MHz and also has
 the
Netgear Card in it.  My question is basically how to network the two.
really need it in detail because i dont have much experience with
 linux
networking.  I attemted to add my ethernet card to the kernel but it
 didnt
seem to work.  Whenever I test a module it says that it is busy... So

could someone please explain to me how to set up the network in RH
 5.1
with windows (Hosts, IP's etc.).

Thanks,
Dave

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How to contact Apache remotely.
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:30 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000 10:30:03 GMT, alan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote:
>Would like to know what exactly is involved. I know about localhost
 and
>127.0.0.1 for local contact. Obviously, for remote contact I need to
 know
>my own unique IP address (where is that kept?). Then do I simply
 enter that
>from a remote loaction while this machine is on the internet??
 Please
>explain?? NB thanks so much for previous Linux help.

When you connect with ppp a script /etc/ppp/ip-up runs automatically
 when
you get an IP address.  You can modify that (or ip-up.local in
 RedHat) to
send your IP out to somewhere one way or another because it is passed
 your
local IP address as variable $4.  You just have to know that it is
 run
with minimal environment so you should use full paths to scripts,
 programs
or files.

If your smtp server is working you could e-mail your address
 somewhere.
If not, you could put it in a file and ftp upload it to a website or
 other
site you have access to using an ftp program that can work from the
command line or Net::FTP module in Perl.

If you have some connection other than ppp I imagine you could do it
 with
something related to dhcpcd or running a script from cron at regular
intervals to parse the output of /sbin/ifconfig.

Maybe I should consider myself lucky that I have a static ppp IP and
hostname so all I would have to do is connect to find myself remotely
 and
everything like apache and sendmail simply work without having to do
anything special.

--
David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Need clarification: what really is 'MBR' and what is 'BOOT SECTOR'?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:30 GMT

From: "Charlie Root" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

While lurking at microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc there was a question
 by a
lady, "how to uninstall NT but retain 98 because NT bloating her HD?"
  One
NT guy said 10-minutes to do.  I said back up your data and reload 98
 at
first drive's primary partition.  Two guys insisting their NT/95/98
 do MBR
not that I know of.  I found
http://www.ntfaq.com/ntfaq/filesystems46.html#filesystems46
 explaining it
wrong, no wonder.

See this simple explanation by a Linux geek at
http://www.linux.ps.pl/doc/LDP/LDP/sag-0.5/node36.html
about MBR, boot sectors and partition table and
http://www.linux.ps.pl/doc/LDP/LDP/sag-0.5/node37.html
"figure 4.2: A sample hard disk partitioning."  Notice 'boot sector'
 are
both present in primary and extended partition.

Some years ago I couldn't figure how to multiple boot NT, Linux, 95
 and WFW
3.11 in one Intel box using NT OS boot loader so I bought a System
 Commander
installed it in my primary hard drive's first partition.  I
 reformatted the
hard drive afterwards and reinstalled all OS all over but some d*rn
 message
kept popping.  Surely I whacked the NT boot sector and System
 Commander
files with just 'format C:\ /U' but why still this weird pop up
 message
after POST?  I was pissed, actually returned the System Commander the
 V-Com
tech support e-mail reply came too late with 'fdisk /mbr' explaining
 what is
MBR from boot sector.  Some stuff I didn't learn in the university.

I don't have hard time explaining MBR and boot sector to newbies but
 NT
folks sez MBR is also boot sector.  Can you fellah Linux folks
 explain to
the NT people what is MBR from boot sector?  Btw, this is not
 advocacy
group, so no ranting please.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:30 GMT

From: "David Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

You can chop and change between window managers as easily as you
 could
change clothes. But it doesn't stop there, if you choose  say gnome
 over
kde, you arent restricted to gnome tools. I personally prefer the
 gnome
desktop, but there are a few kde tools I prefer to use, rather than
 the
gnome equivalent.

Remember, Linux, and everything that comes with it(well just about
 anyway),
is opensystem, with emphasis on the "Open", which only has a little
 to do
with copylefting and licence agreements.  This basically means that
 there is
minimal, if any restrictions on whose tools you use, and that greater
 choice
is made available to you.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: apropos nothing
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:30 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Prasanth A. Kumar)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Hi,
>
> After installing RH6.2 I found that "apropos" never returns
 anything.
> What is wrong? Should I create some sort of index/database or
 something?
> How?
<snip>

Yes, you need to run '/etc/cron.daily/makewhatis.cron' as root once
create a index.

--
Prasanth Kumar

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: getting software
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:30 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Prasanth A. Kumar)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Hi,
>
> How do Linux (RedHat specifically) users usually get software? For
> example, I want Xemacs and Pine. Obviously, I can't search the web
 with
> altavista and then download rpm's from random sites, as they can be
> trojaned. Is there any standard procedure for getting Linux
 software
> that I'm not aware of?
>
> Thanks a bunch
>
> Wroot
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

If you have the rpmfind package installed, you can type

rpmfind --apropos xemacs

and it will find packages suitable for your distribution and version
if possible. It works of the database at http://rufus.w3.org. In your
particular case, pine is part of the standard RedHat distribution cd
and Xemacs is part of their supplementary 'powertools' collection.

--
Prasanth Kumar

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: changing monitor settings
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:30 GMT

From: Sam Wun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

==============E6D8DB3EAAC7DD27524AA41E

XF86Setup

--
Sam Wun                            Firewalls / Security
OneGuard Senior Software Engineer  Electronic Commerce

==============E6D8DB3EAAC7DD27524AA41E

XF86Setup
 href="http://www.deja.com/">http://www.deja.com/</a>

<pre>--&nbsp;
Sam
 Wun&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Firewalls / Security
OneGuard Senior Software Engineer&nbsp; Electronic Commerce
eSec
 Limited&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 Phone: +61 3 83715376
<A
 HREF="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>&nbsp;&nbsp
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 C++/JAVA/UNIX/OOP/OOD</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:30 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi,

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Simple questions: Pronounce, FreeBSD, pico etc....*s*
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:30 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Equinox)

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000 06:12:09 -0230, Hendrix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> As a newbie, I would like to take this time and ask a few questions
> regarding the pronounciation of various GNU/Linux utilities,
 commands,
> licences, concepts etc...<grin>  I've heard that different people
> pronounce these things differently anyhow, but just the same, I'm
> interested in knowing how you guys repeat these words... Should be
 fun,
> here goes nothing...*s*
>
> 1. vi      ---  Is it spelled out or spoken "Veye"...
vye

> 2. GNU     ---  Is it spelled out, or pronounced "New"...
guh-noo'

> 3. Linux   ---  Leee-nucks, Len-nucks, or Lie-nucks(How does Linus
 say
> it?)..
* As Linus pronounces it: lee'-nooks
* Americanized: lye'-nuhks (as the Peanuts character)
* For those with a lot of cooling fans in their machine: lin'-nuhks
  (see http://www.lennox.com/)

> 4. SQL     ---  Is it spelled out, or pronounced "Sequel".. I've
 heard
> both..
ess-kyoo-ell

> 5. Daemon  ---  Is it demon, or daymon...
dee'-mon

> 6. TCL     ---  I've heard it called Tickle...???*s*
tee-see-ell

> 7. pico    ---  Is it pee-co or pie-co...??? (Hey, I've used it
> too)...*s*
Most people I know pronounce it pee'-coh (though there is a
 convincing
argument for pie'-coh)

> In addition, could someone please enlighten me on the following
> "simple-natured" questions...???
>
> 1. Why is Unix-based systems referred to as *nix based systems when
> linux and various other versions end in "ux"...???

Because "Unix" is a trademark (and the people who use "*nix", "Un*x",
and similar hooey are somwehat paranoid).

> 2. Is FreeBSD linux or not...???  When I ordered all the
 distributions
> from <www.linuxmall.com> I was sent FreeBSD with all the other
> distros...

No.  FreeBSD (and OpenBSD, and NetBSD) are all variants of BSD unix.
Different animal, similar functionality.

> 3. Does the POSIX standard dictate the directory structure of *nix
 based
> systems (usr, home, bin, etc, var et cetera...)...???  If so, where
 can
> I get a copy of this POSIX standard...???  What else does the
 standard
> dictate...???

Probably not.  There may be a standard for actual Unix systems, but
Linux filesystems are supposedly dictated by the Filesystem Hierarchy
Standard (found at http://www.pathname.com/fhs/).  The FHS itself,
IMO, is too lenient, making too many special allowances for specific
applications such as X.  Not that it really matters, since nobody
actually follows it anyway.

> 4. Does the sysvinit program install the 'login' and 'sulogin'
 programs
> when it is installed itself...???  I know the 'init' process
 activates
> and respawns these programs, but is the 'login' and 'sulogin'
 programs
> part of the sysvinit distribution...???

Unknown (I would look, but I need to go do my laundry soon).

> 5. Does anyone but me use 'pico'...???*smile*  Getting used to 'vi'
 is
> just killing me...!!!*s*

Yep.  Pico is one of my favorite editors (the other being joe,
 invoked
with the 'jpico' command. :)

--Russell

========================
email (spam-disabled):
rdh *at* dibbs *dot* net

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:30 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)

On 27 Jun 2000 19:45:14 GMT,
 Andrew Onifer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jun 2000 06:12:09 -0230, Hendrix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote:

> >5. Daemon  ---  Is it demon, or daymon...
>
> Demon.  It's actually how demon was originally spelled.

Though the word 'daemon' used to have a more general sense as a
 'spirit',
implying neither good nor evil.

> >3. Does the POSIX standard dictate the directory structure of *nix
 based
> >systems (usr, home, bin, etc, var et cetera...)...???  If so,
 where can
> >I get a copy of this POSIX standard...???  What else does the
 standard
> >dictate...???
>
> Don't know.

It doesn't.  The Filesystem Heirarchy Standard does.  See
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: gcc --version
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:30 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi,

How come gcc that comes with RH6.2 is "egcs-2.91.66", while an older
distro, Mandrake7.0 comes with "gcc-2.95" ?
(I remember that when I was using Mandrake7.0, RH6.2 wasn't out yet)

Wroot