Linux-Misc Digest #304, Volume #25                Tue, 1 Aug 00 11:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  linux & mp3 (Stuart Colley)
  Re: dual os mail setup (Grischa Stegemann)
  Netscape plugin for java? (Mark Sidarous)
  i386 i586 i686 I'm confused??? (Packetgeek)
  Re: Which IDE linux C programers use? (Juergen Sauer)
  Re: Linux for ancient RS6000? (Juergen Sauer)
  Can't run ftp (kev)
  Re: i386 i586 i686 I'm confused??? (Dances With Crows)
  Re: Linux on Mac LC III possible? (Dietmar Belloff)
  Re: dual os mail setup ("D. C. & M. V. Sessions")
  Re: Advice on cutting memory usage (Rasputin)
  Re: at&t lex (ed)
  partitioning for Linux
  Re: Audio CD's not playing (Terry D.Ripple)
  Re: partitioning for Linux (Davide Bianchi)
  Re: FTP and Telnet (Rui Amaral Santos)
  XWindow screen resolution (paul simdars)
  Re: Learn Unix on which Unix Flavour ? (Grant Edwards)
  Re: Linux on Mac LC III possible? (Grant Edwards)
  Re: HELP: getting OpenSSH working (Rasputin)
  telnet and FTP services (Rui Amaral Santos)
  help with portsentry (Chris Stump)

From: Stuart Colley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux & mp3
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 14:05:17 +0100

Does anyone know of any software for linux to upload mp3 files to a
player, i.e. what players will it work with and where can one obtain the
software.

cheers, S

------------------------------

From: Grischa Stegemann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: dual os mail setup
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 15:18:22 +0200

Aaron Ginn wrote:

> I thought I'd try to copy all my Netscape mail to Linux and see if I
> could read it all.  I was successful in doing this.
Yes, this works as long as you do not have any subfolders in your
mailfolders otherwise they will get messed up. Unfortunately I like
subfolders pretty much :-)

> There are two files for each mail folder in Netscape on windows. One
> is a text file, the other is a binary which has a suffix that
> currently escapes me.
Yes it's a summary file and I do not know for what reason netscape
uses it.

> If you copy all the text files over to your linux nsmail
> directory, you can read them perfectly.
Except subfolders, see above.

> You might try simply linking
> each of these files on the linux side to the windows file instead of
> linking the whole directory.  I don't know what this would do to the
> binary files if you change these files in Linux, though.
Maybe it's worth trying. But since the summary files get not changed
bei Linux Netscape i do not think that it will work.

> I'd back up
> all your mail up before you try this.
I think I'm going to try this with another Netscape profile and Linux
account...

--
                         Grischa

------------------------------

From: Mark Sidarous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Netscape plugin for java?
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 08:18:24 -0500

Is there a java plugin for Netscape allowing it to run applets?

Mark Sidarous

From: Packetgeek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: i386 i586 i686 I'm confused???
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 13:18:42 GMT

I want to update my Apache server. I went to their site and see that
they have i586 and i686 binaries available. Many of the programs I've
DL'd before were i386. I'm running RH6.1 on a 233 MHz pentium MMX. Does
this mean I can use i386 and i586 but not i686??? Any help would be
appreciated. Thanks

------------------------------

From: Juergen Sauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which IDE linux C programers use?
Date: 1 Aug 2000 12:14:06 GMT

Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb
am Sun, 30 Jul 2000 19:53:12 GMT in comp.os.linux.misc:
RH>   Luis Yanes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
RH>   In a message on Sat, 29 Jul 2000 01:03:23 +0200, wrote :

RH> Most *serious* Linux/UNIX C programmers don't use a Microsoft, Borland, or
RH> CodeWarrior type of 'IDE'.  Almost all Linux/UNIX C programmers just use
RH> command like tools: some sort of editor and a shell window to use make,
RH> etc.  *Some* programmers use GnuEmacs or XEmacs -- both of these have
RH> syntax highlighting and 'electric C' modes.  There is also an interface
RH> where you can run make as a sub-process of Emacs and Emacs will parse
RH> gcc/g++'s error messages and bring up the section of code in another
RH> editor window.  There is also a gdb interface for Emacs as well.  These
RH> two interfaces give GnuEmacs or XEmacs *some* of the features and
RH> functionality that you are looking for, except generally the GnuEmacs
RH> or XEmacs 'IDE's are heavily keyboard-based with only small use of the
RH> mouse.

I prefer emacs (+etags +make +gdb) roughly on the console.
Especially for code we produced by our self.

RH> *I* have found that using a point-and-click programming interfaces tend
RH> to slow down code production -- the point-and-click interface has too
RH> much interface overhead (lots of excess hand movement, distracting 'eye
RH> candy', etc.).

For analysing forign code or programms I prefer the Cygnus Source Navigator.
This helps for getting a fast overview. and there I use my emacs as "external"
Editor.

mfG
        jojo

--
- Professionelle Linux Server,   Professioneller Support und Dienstleistungen
- AutomatiX GmbH  - Vollautomatische Kransteuerungen & SAP fähiges Lagergerät

------------------------------

From: Juergen Sauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux for ancient RS6000?
Date: 1 Aug 2000 12:41:26 GMT

fred smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb
am Mon, 31 Jul 2000 01:50:54 GMT in comp.os.linux.misc:
fs> My employer has an ancient (circa 1992) IBM RS6000 box that has lost
fs> one of its (gigantic ;-) 400 meg SCSI drives. They're thinking of not
fs> fixing it due to its age. If they dump it, I may stand outside the
fs> window and try to catch it as it goes by!

fs> Can anyone tell me if there's a Linux anywhere (or maybe a *bsd) that
fs> will run on this thing? It's NOT a PowerPC machine, it's IBM's old
fs> RISC processor from before the days of the PowerPC.

1992 ?
Then there should be an execlent AIX 3.2.x OS on it...
(Motif V1.2, X11R5 should be included)

Catch the AIX Boot Install Tape (or later: CD) also.
Yes, this thing boots from SCSI QIC Tape ... if nessesary ;->

With this you can do anything you want!
This thing ma be extended with Standard SCSI disks with out
problems. Attention the Logical Volume Management can be tricky.

I think Qt, KDE should compile fine. If there is no cc on it, you may
find the precompiled gcc somewhere in the IBM Pages.

Good Luck, I loved this RS/6000 and the AIX OS. Some features are not
reached in Linux today. (Logigcal Volume management, jfs Journaled
Filesystem, that stuff starts up in linux right now)

mfG
        Jojo

From: kev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't run ftp
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 14:37:39 +0000

Hi,

I just tried to start ftp the same way I've done a thousand times before
but it won't allow me to connect.
To start ftp I uncommented the ftp line in /etc/inetd.conf and then
issued a 'killall -HUP inetd' command. This usually is all I need to do,
but when I try to connect using 'ftp localhost' I get this:

Connected to localhost.localdomain.
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

Someone told me I should have a /etc/ftpaccess file (though I've never
had one before and it's always worked fine) - I tried adapting one from
a friend, but this made no difference whatsoever.
Anyone know what could be happening?

thanks,

- Kev

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: i386 i586 i686 I'm confused???
Date: 1 Aug 2000 14:18:06 GMT

On Tue, 01 Aug 2000 13:18:42 GMT, Packetgeek wrote:
>I want to update my Apache server. I went to their site and see that
>they have i586 and i686 binaries available. Many of the programs I've
>DL'd before were i386. I'm running RH6.1 on a 233 MHz pentium MMX. Does
>this mean I can use i386 and i586 but not i686??? Any help would be
>appreciated. Thanks

i586 = Pentium, Pentium MMX, K6-[1,2,3]
i686 = Pentium Pro, Pentium II/III, Athlon

(Binaries?  Ick.  Compile it from source; then you *know* it's gonna be
right for your machine.)

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /   Tyranny is always better organized
http://www.brainbench.com     /    than freedom.
=============================/              ==Charles Peguy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dietmar Belloff)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.m68k,comp.os.linux.powerpc
Subject: Re: Linux on Mac LC III possible?
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 15:36:17 +0200

Morten Dreier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The last time I saw such an upgrade,
> the price was _under_ USD 10.. :)
There is a cheaper way to get an fpu upgrade for every LC (except 040
machines): Look for a PDS network card - most of them have a FPU socket
onto it. I´ve got two of them here, both manufactured by Asante an both
have a socket for 68882 on it.

--
Bye,
     Dietmar

------------------------------

From: "D. C. & M. V. Sessions" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 07:21:45 -0700

Grischa Stegemann wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'm running Suse Linux and Win98 on a dual boot machine.
> It would be really cool to have an automatically synchronizing
> Netscape setup on both systems.
> I mean I want Netscape to use the same mail (and news?) data on both
> systems. It also will have to remember which mails I already got from
> the server.
>
> Probably lots of users have already tried just to symlink ~/.netscape
> and ~/nsmail to the corresponding directories on the windows
> partition. Unfortunatley this turned out to be a very bad idea ;-)...
>
> Since the data seems incompatible for both systems I think one would
> have to set up a logout script which extracts the changed Netscape
> data and writes it to the other version in the correct format.
>
> Has anybody already tried this or figured out another way to have a
> synchronized mailbox on both systems?

Netscape for *nix and Win* are just incompatible enough that this
isn't a Real Good Idea.  On the other hand, you should be able to
build Mozilla executables for both environments from exactly the
same source, and that may keep things compatible enough for your
purposes.  If it's *not* quite the same for naming conventions,
you can use symlinks.  Otherwise report the bug and submit the patch.

--
| Bogus as it might seem, people, this really is a deliverable       |
| e-mail address.  Of course, there isn't REALLY a lumber cartel.    |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rasputin)
Subject: Re: Advice on cutting memory usage
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 14:29:07 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] <Andrew J. Perrin> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rasputin) writes:
>

>> Ideally, you want all your memory in use, all the time;
>> if there are no apps running, you want to keep recently used apps in
>> memory in case someone starts them again. Saves a loooong trip to diskland...

>Fair enough - except that what I'm getting is most of the memory in
>use *before* any user-level stuff is running; kernel, daemons, and X
>take up about 85% of available RAM.

Yeah, running X on 16Mb is going to be a bit if a squeeze.
What window manager are you running? I hear blackbox is pretty lightweight.
KDE/GNOME or enlightenment are going to *chug*..

>> Swapping stuff onto disk that doesn't need to be there yet is a Bad Thing
>> usually.  <looks at sigfile> Solaris should be the same?

>Yes, I'm all too aware of this, which is why I'm asking - there's
>plenty of swap space available.  I'm mainly wondering about cutting
>down kernel size, daemons I won't need on a single-user laptop, etc.

Are you actually swapping, then?
Like we said, the memory should be used all the time;
a "ps ax" will probably be more informative.

--

Rasputin.
Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns.

------------------------------

From: ed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: at&t lex
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 14:30:06 GMT

David Rysdam wrote:

> ed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Can at&t lex be purchased somewhere and can it be installed on a linux
> > system?
>
> flex no good?  Comes free from FSF on every Linux distro.
>
> --
> My public encryption key is available from www.keyserver.net

flex is no good, the output is too different.  I do not want to rewrite
legacy code/source.  need to be able to install at&t (or more similiar
substitute than flex) onto a linux machine.

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: partitioning for Linux
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 14:30:05 GMT

I am no expert but I am not exactly a newbie after installing Linux
several times.  I have a basic question though.  I install Linux on a
separate 1.6 gig drive.  I normally partion it with 200 meg for root, 500
meg for usr and the rest for home.  When installing Mandrake 7.0/7.1, I
get most of what I need installed but I would like to install more of the
programs and such.  There is over a gig of stuff on the CD.  Is there a
better way to partition my drive so I can install more?  JH

From: Terry D.Ripple <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Audio CD's not playing
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 14:31:17 GMT

Richard, I had this problem and this is what worked for me. Call up=20
"gmix" and push the record buttons.  I don't know why, but I never had=20
another problem.  Hope it works for you.
Ripster

Audio CD's not playing:

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Davide Bianchi)
Subject: Re: partitioning for Linux
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 14:43:47 GMT

On Tue, 01 Aug 2000 14:30:05 GMT, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am no expert but I am not exactly a newbie after installing Linux
>several times.  I have a basic question though.  I install Linux on a
>separate 1.6 gig drive.  I normally partion it with 200 meg for root, 500
>meg for usr and the rest for home.  When installing Mandrake 7.0/7.1, I
>get most of what I need installed but I would like to install more of the
>programs and such.  There is over a gig of stuff on the CD.  Is there a
>better way to partition my drive so I can install more?  JH

A lot of things are installed under /usr/bin, /usr/sbin,
/usr/local, /opt and /var.

/home is used for the user's data (HOME directory and so on),
if you do not have a lot of users, is preferabily to keep /home
little, and increase /usr and maybe create a different partition for
/opt.

Davide

------------------------------

From: Rui Amaral Santos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FTP and Telnet
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 15:39:37 +0100

I've the same problem with Mandrake!
Where can i get telnet and ftp packages to install?

Rui Amaral Santos

--

Best Regards,

Rui Amaral Santos

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://alumni.dee.uc.pt/~ramaral

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 09:42:58 -0500
From: paul simdars <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: XWindow screen resolution

I have a wierd problem.  Many times I startx and the resolution is
funny.  that is, it is so mixed up that I can't see clearly.  I can make
out the shapes of things but can't see them clearly.  Like looking
through that frosted glass they use for bathroom windows.  I restart my
computer in dos mode and from win98 I restart it again into Linux and
then the screen is fine.  I am wondering if there is not a way to reset
the monitor or something like that in Linux.
thanks for your help.
Paul

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.solaris.x86,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Learn Unix on which Unix Flavour ?
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 14:47:19 GMT

In article <8m5arc$t85$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> Which, IMO, means that the actual meaning/value of the brand has been
>>so
>> diluted it's worth nothing.
>
>Diluted... no.  Adulterated, yes.

>A few years ago, there was an interesting company in the wild
>called Softway Systems.  They developed a complete POSIX
>subsystem for Windows NT.  If you could afford all their stuff,
>you could add full P1003.x compliance to your NT boxen.  K&R
>compiler, vi, cron, X11R5, lotsa good stuff.  Anyway, IIRC,
>they paid the dues money and joined the OpenGroup, started
>passing the conformance tests, got a lot of industry support
>behind them, and came damned close to getting branded.  That
>would've made Windows NT officially UNIX.  Trademark and all.
>Scary thought, isn't it?

After they changed their name to Interix, I got a demo CD of
their Open NT (or whatever the name was of their Posix/Gnu/NT)
thing.  I never got a chance to install it before it expired,
so I don't know how well it worked.  It looked like an
impressive piece of work based on the literature.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Yes, but will I
                                  at               see the EASTER BUNNY in

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.m68k,comp.os.linux.powerpc
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 14:50:35 GMT

In article <3986569d$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Michael Westerman wrote:

>a 386 DX ... 8MB 30 pin ram 80 MB HD...
>a 486 sx 16 Mb ram 500 MB HD
>old but reliable.
>great file archive servers
>none have fpu.

We're talking about 68K based Mac machines.

Son, I say, pay _attention_ son!

<in my best Foghorn Leghorn voice>

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Kids, don't gross me
                                  at               off... "Adventures with

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rasputin)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: HELP: getting OpenSSH working
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 14:52:29 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] <David Steuber> wrote:
>It's compiled.  Now how do I get it to work?

Hi Dave, I'm not too familiar with ssh2
(looks like that's what you're trying by default)
But I think I've sussed it.
I assume solo is the client, and apostrophe is the server.

>I've done ssh-keygen -d.
>The public key is in $HOME/.ssh/authorized_keys2 on the machine I am
>trying to log into.  This is what I got:

I assume the '2' at the end refers to version 2? if not, lose it.

Is the private key saved in ~/.ssh/identity on your local machine?

>david@solo:> ssh apostrophe -v

try 'ssh username@remotehost' , just to rule that out.
(Although it looks OK from the log)

>SSH Version OpenSSH_2.1.1, protocol versions 1.5/2.0.
>Compiled with SSL (0x0090581f).
>debug: Reading configuration data /usr/local/etc/ssh_config
>debug: Applying options for *
>debug: Seeding random number generator
>debug: ssh_connect: getuid 500 geteuid 0 anon 0
>debug: Connecting to apostrophe.david-steuber.com [::ffff:10.7.7.11] port 22.
>rresvport: af=10 Invalid argument
>debug: Connecting to apostrophe.david-steuber.com [10.7.7.11] port 22.
>debug: Seeding random number generator
>debug: Allocated local port 720.
>debug: Connection established.
>ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host
>debug: Calling cleanup 0x805cbb0(0x0)

>david@solo:> cat /usr/local/etc/ssh_config
># This is ssh client systemwide configuration file.  This file provides
># defaults for users, and the values can be changed in per-user configuration
># files or on the command line.
>
># Configuration data is parsed as follows:
>#  1. command line options
>#  2. user-specific file
>#  3. system-wide file
># Any configuration value is only changed the first time it is set.
># Thus, host-specific definitions should be at the beginning of the
># configuration file, and defaults at the end.
>
># Site-wide defaults for various options
>
># Host *
>#   ForwardAgent yes
>#   ForwardX11 yes
>#   RhostsAuthentication yes

disable this

>#   RhostsRSAAuthentication yes

and this.

>#   RSAAuthentication yes
>#   PasswordAuthentication yes

Cool.

>#   FallBackToRsh no
>#   UseRsh no
>#   BatchMode no
>#   CheckHostIP yes
>#   StrictHostKeyChecking no
>#   IdentityFile ~/.ssh/identity

That's the file I mentioned earlier.

>#   Port 22
>#   Protocol 2,1
>#   Cipher 3des

3des sucks; I'd use blowfish instead to be healthily paranoid.
Get it working first though.

>#   EscapeChar ~
>
># Be paranoid by default
>Host *
>        ForwardAgent no
>        ForwardX11 no
>        FallBackToRsh no
>david@solo:>

>david@apostrophe:~ > cat /usr/local/etc/sshd_config
># This is ssh server systemwide configuration file.
>
>Port 22
>Protocol 2,1
>HostKey /usr/local/etc/ssh_host_key
>HostDsaKey /usr/local/etc/ssh_host_dsa_key
>ServerKeyBits 768
>LoginGraceTime 60
>KeyRegenerationInterval 3600
>
># Logging
>SyslogFacility AUTH
>LogLevel INFO
>
># Authentication
>RhostsAuthentication no
>RhostsRSAAuthentication no
>PermitEmptyPasswords no
>PermitRootLogin no

This server doesn't support any of the methods that the client uses.

Add these lines:

=======8<=============
RSAAuthentication yes
PasswordAuthentication yes
=======8<=============

PasswordAuth is safe, as the passwords are passed
down the encrypted tunnel.

>david@apostrophe:~ >
>
>What am I missing?  I sure wish there were some simple instructions
>for configuring this thing to actaully work.

Might have changed, but man sshd had most of the info in it for openssh1.
If the above doesn't work, check the logs on the box running sshd;
OpenSSH1 used to be very picky about the permissions of ~/.ssh;
if anyone but the user could read it, it wouldn't allow a login.

Cheers.

From: Rui Amaral Santos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: telnet and FTP services
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 15:54:34 +0100

I just installed linux mandrake 7.1 on my box, it seems
correctly connected to the network...
However, I don't have ftp and telnet services...
I am afraid that these services was not intalled ...
How could I be sure that these services were not installed?
What are the packages (tar.gz) or RPMs to install for getting ftp and
telnet
services?

From: Chris Stump <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help with portsentry
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 09:56:00 -0500

Greetings,

    I recently downloaded and installed portsentry on my Red Hat linux
6.2 machine.  I configured the portsentry.conf file and was very careful

to take all the steps necessary for a successful installation.  When it
came time, I compiled the program and then installed it...everything
seemed to work fine.  And it still seems to work fine, but I have a few
questions.

First of all, where are the log files that portsentry keeps (i.e.what
should I be checking to see what activity portsentry detects)? I can't
seem to find anything on my system that even suggests that portsentry
keeps a log file, but the documentation indicates that it does.  Also,
what file am I supposed to check to see if portsentry starts up
properly? The documentation says "Check your system files and see if
portsentry starts up correctly...you should see lines that say..." But
the specific name of the file isn't mentioned.

Secondly--and this is the strange part--after installation and turning
portsentry on in stealth mode I went to www.grc.com and had my "ports
probed".  The first port it checked (port 21) came up as open ( which it

should) and then everything else came up as stealthed (again, as it
should).  However, after the probing I checked my /etc/hosts.deny file
to see if the IP address of the grc site was dropped into the file, and
no luck--not even when I checked /etc/hosts.deny the next day.
Furthermore, I went back to the grc site and had it "probe my ports"
again  (thinking that everything should come up stealthed since
portsentry was tripped earlier) and the same thing happened again.  FTP
port 21 came up immediately as opened and then everything else was
stealthed.  And again, nothing was dropped into hosts.deny.  Now, I
specified in the portsentry.conf file for port 21 to be left alone, but
shouldn't it still come up stealthed since portsentry was tripped?  Why
are no IP addresses being dropped into hosts.deny?  I tried to telnet to

a booby-trapped port from another machine and it didn't work (as was
expected), but portsentry still did not drop anything in hosts.deny.

Portsentry seems to be acting like a firewall, which brings me to my
last question.  I normally run a firewall (but it was turned off when I
was testing portsentry, so it shouldn't have interferred), how will
portsentry work with the firewall? I use a small program called
firestarter that uses ipchains to create and run the linux firewall.
Will portsentry still detect portscans through my firewall? Or will it
act as a sort of "second-line of defense," and only be activated, etc.
if an intruder got past my firewall?

Ok, that is it for me.  I'm sorry this is so long, but I am really
wanting to get to the bottom of all this.

Thank you for your time and in advance for your reply!

--
Christopher C. Stump
E-mail: tree_stumpNOSPAMpostmaster.co.uk

"Computers are like air conditioners...Once you open
Windows, they stop working correctly" -Unknown Linux User