Linux-Misc Digest #369, Volume #25                Mon, 7 Aug 00 10:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Something OTHER than a getty on a vterm (Floyd Davidson)
  How to get Video in/ out (on GeForce) working ? ("Smelly Cat")
  Re: kde 2.0 beta 3 (muzh)
  Xdefaults (Ron Nicholls)
  Re: Xdefaults (Andreas Kahari)
  Re: Something OTHER than a getty on a vterm (Cameron Hutchison)
  Re: Modem doesn't work (and it's not a WinModem) (M. Buchenrieder)
  Re: Need XF86Config for Tecra 8100 (Heinz Rohde)
  Re: Modem Lights App for Windoze? (Robert Heller)
  Re: Something OTHER than a getty on a vterm (Floyd Davidson)
  Server names for fetchmail? (Mihaly Gyulai)
  Re: sending fax (LFessen106)
  Re: mounting ide-scsi device (mjbeasley)
  Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship. (Phillip Lord)
  Re: Changing LILO in Mandrake? (John Hasler)
  Scripting the keystrokes in X? (Andrew Purugganan)
  OT: PNP OS? (Re: Modem doesn't work (and it's not a WinModem)) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Mouse problems in linux (Geoff Short)
  How to change a ro mounted disk to rw? (Ted Sariyski)
  Re: Something OTHER than a getty on a vterm (Geoff Short)
  Help burning CDR (iso) image (pdlamb)
  Re: Mouse problems in linux (Andreas Kahari)
  icons on virtual desktops ("JR")
  Re: Size of /var/lib/rpm - why so big? (Vlar Schreidlocke)

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Something OTHER than a getty on a vterm
Date: 06 Aug 2000 23:48:00 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela) wrote:
>Fester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Et Cetera... what I want to do is run something OTHER than mingetty on
>>tty1. Specifically top, so that when I press CTRL-ALT-F1, I see top
>>running, and can use it without providing a user/pass and manually running
>>it. I tried:
>>
>>1:2345:respawn:/usr/bin/top
>
>       if you want top. try this line. its Ugly but it will work. For
>this I will use tty4 as its a good idea to leave tty1 alone.

Good advice.

>top >/dev/tty4 </dev/tty4 2>&1 &
>If you want to put this in your inittab the following hack should work
>4:2345:respawn:top >/dev/tty4 </dev/tty4 2>&1
>       I learned of the fancy 2>&1 from a unix book. heres a summary
>of what the redirectors mean
>>/dev/tty4   #send standard output to /dev/tty4
></dev/tty4   #get standard input from /dev/tty4
>2>&1        #send standard error to the same place standard output
>             goes /dev/tty4

All good!

>       Only problem is. anyone who goes to /dev/tty4, even non root
>can raise hell by killing anyones processes they want! as /dev/tty4
>will be running a program with the effective UID of ROOT!

Good point.  The solution is to run it in secure mode, with the
's' option,

  4:2345:respawn:top s >/dev/tty4 </dev/tty4 2>&1

which will disable dangerous interactive commands such as the
'k' command to kill processes.

Another way to obtain the same effect is with a global init
file, /etc/toprc, which is described in the man page for top.
In any case it is nice to configure the top display as desired
and then write that configuration to ~/.toprc with the
interactive W command while in top.  The configuration of course
will be for the root user, and whatever is written will be the
default for root.

  Floyd

--
Floyd L. Davidson                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

------------------------------

From: "Smelly Cat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to get Video in/ out (on GeForce) working ?
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 20:32:11 +1200

So ....
Anybody know how to get video in / out working in linux ? I have an ASUS
v6600 (GeForce 256) Deluxe and would like to get the video in working ...
but how and where to start. I have checked around and found NOTHING !

-So if Anybody could help or if you with to add something ... post it !

(specs : Athlon 750 / Asus GeForce / etc ....)

------------------------------

From: muzh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kde 2.0 beta 3
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 20:48:07 +1200

Daniel Bechard wrote:

> I download a bunch of files (kde 2.0 beta 3) for exemple
> kdepim2-1-92-1.src.rpm
> When I tried to install this file with package it did not seem to work
> Is there something I have to do beside using package to uptade the kde
> files?
>
> Thanks

Looks like source-RPM's to me.
You still have to compile it.
Src.rpm files usually put themselves in /usr/src/packages/SOURCES (or
something similar)
Enter the appropriate directory, tar -xzvf if necessary then read any
README or INSTALL files you find.  They will tell  you how to proceed
further.

--
Never trust a man in a suit --
cll

------------------------------

From: Ron Nicholls <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Xdefaults
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 19:03:39 -1000

Although I have configured gnome from the defaults, I don't have an
Xdefaults file in my home directory. I do have one in root.

So how can I have modified my home desktop and not produced an Xdefaults
file.

--
-
-

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Xdefaults
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Kahari)
Date: 7 Aug 2000 11:40:26 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Ron Nicholls  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Although I have configured gnome from the defaults, I don't have an
>Xdefaults file in my home directory. I do have one in root.
>
>So how can I have modified my home desktop and not produced an Xdefaults
>file.

Because GNOME doesn't store the desktop state/setup in "~/.Xdefaults"?

I don't run GNOME, but my guess is that it might have stored your
config in some other file/directory (maybe in a "~/.gnome/" dir?).

Since one should be able to switch window managers and have different
setups in each, it would be a bad thing to put WM-specific stuff in
"~/.Xdefaults". FVWM2 puts WM-specific things in "~/.fvwm2/" for
example.

/A

--
# Andreas Kähäri, <URL:http://hello.to/andkaha/>.
# ...brought to you from Uppsala, Sweden.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cameron Hutchison)
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 10:10:35 +0000 (UTC)

On 06 Aug 2000 23:11:37 -0800, Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cameron Hutchison) wrote:
>>
>>Try this. Create a file called /usr/local/bin/top-tty10, containing the
>>following:
>>
>>-------
>>#!/bin/sh
>>exec /usr/bin/top </dev/tty10 >/dev/tty10 2>/dev/tty10
>>-------
>
>That is a step in the right direction, but is overdone.  No extra
>shell script is needed, just an entry in /etc/inittab like this:
>
>  c10:23:respawn:/usr/bin/top </dev/tty10 >/dev/tty10 2>/dev/tty10

Interesting. My man page for init and inittab makes no mention of using
/bin/sh to execute processes, nor makes any mention of parsing redirection
operators. Is such behaviour guaranteed, or is it just accidental?

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Modem doesn't work (and it's not a WinModem)
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 06:40:33 GMT

[Note FollowUp-To: header]
[Citations were already messed up]

"Kristofor Wiklund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>>>    I've just installed Slackware 7.0 on my new computer.  I have found
>that
>>>my modem does not respond under Linux, but it does under Windows.  As I
>have
>>>stated it is not a WinModem.  It is 3Com 56K modem that I have used on my

[...]

>Its a PnP ISA card and uses /dev/ttyS1 (COM2 under windows)

Linux isn't a PNP OS. You'll have to use the isapnptools for this
modem card to have it recognized in Linux. BTW, you'll have to disable
your COM2 port in the system's CMOS if you want the modem to be on
/dev/ttyS1 , otherwise you'll get a HW conflict.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: Heinz Rohde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need XF86Config for Tecra 8100
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 12:49:24 +0200

Lam Dang schrieb:

> I've installed RedHat 6.2 on my Tecra 8100
> laptop.  So far I can boot from a floppy with
> vga=791.  I've also got eth0 to work.
>
> I'm trying the X framebuffer server
> XFree86_FBDev) with startx.  But I get the
> error message:

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/

Go, tell it on the mountain... ;-)

Heinz
--
Heinz Rohde  NetUSE AG
Siemenswall, D-24107 Kiel, Germany

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem Lights App for Windoze?
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 10:59:25 GMT

  "gavin.liquorish" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Sun, 6 Aug 2000 23:16:24 +0100, wrote :

"> Hi
">
"> I have tried to find, without any luck, a program that monitors a PPP link
"> on a Linux box from a Windoze98 box.
"> There is Modem Lights for gnome, but that runs on linux, and there are
"> several programs that monitor a PPP link on a modem connected to a windoze
"> box, but none that allow me to monitor the link remotely.
">
"> Can anyone point me in the direction of a client/server program that allows
"> me to do this?

Yeah, Modem Lights for gnome already uses it -- it is called 'X11'.  If
you install a X11 server on your Windoze98, you should be able to run
Modem Lights for gnome, on the Linux box, with the display on the
Windoze98 box with the X server running.  Old stuff for UNIX...

">
"> The only way I have been able to do this so far is by running VNC
"> "http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/" and  reducing the size of the window
"> so that only "Modem Lights" is showing, or am I going to have to write some
"> software that can do what I want?
">
"> Thanks for any help
">
"> Gavin
">
">
">
">

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 07 Aug 2000 03:15:53 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cameron Hutchison) wrote:
>Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cameron Hutchison) wrote:
>>>
>>>Try this. Create a file called /usr/local/bin/top-tty10, containing the
>>>following:
>>>
>>>-------
>>>#!/bin/sh
>>>exec /usr/bin/top </dev/tty10 >/dev/tty10 2>/dev/tty10
>>>-------
>>
>>That is a step in the right direction, but is overdone.  No extra
>>shell script is needed, just an entry in /etc/inittab like this:
>>
>>  c10:23:respawn:/usr/bin/top </dev/tty10 >/dev/tty10 2>/dev/tty10
>
>Interesting. My man page for init and inittab makes no mention of using
>/bin/sh to execute processes, nor makes any mention of parsing redirection
>operators. Is such behaviour guaranteed, or is it just accidental?

Guaranteed with the Linux version of sysvinit (but unknown for others).

If a script exists at /etc/initscript, every command will be exec'd
with that script.  Do "man initscript" for details.

Otherwise, if the command contains any of ~`!$^&*()=|\{}[];"'<>?
characters, it will be exec'd with "/bin/sh -c ...".

Otherwise, up to 15 command line arguments will be cobbled
together for an execvp() call.

If any of the above fails, the command line will be attempted
again using "/bin/sh -c ...".

  Floyd

From: Mihaly Gyulai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Server names for fetchmail?
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 11:57:05 GMT

I'm a bit confused about using hostnames with fetchmail...

My address is [EMAIL PROTECTED], however I should
use the fvmrt-xch.vizmuvek.hu server for fetching mail.

User: my-user
At: vizmuvek.hu
Mail server: fvmrt-xch.vizmuvek.hu

Here is a detail from my .fetchmailrc:

# ./~fetchmailrc

defaults
        protocol auto
        fetchall

poll vizmuvek.hu via fvmrt-xch.vizmuvek.hu protocol IMAP
        user my-user is misi here
        pass jelszavam
        fetchall

My problem:

When I try to fetch mails, it tries to use this address:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] .
It fails; I suppose this address does not exist.

I don't know how to make fetchmail to use my original address.
([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

--
Mihaly Gyulai
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (LFessen106)
Subject: Re: sending fax
Date: 07 Aug 2000 12:23:07 GMT

>Easiest way for single operator machine... get efax by Ed Casas.

Yes definately!  Efax.  Wonderful piece of software!

------------------------------

From: mjbeasley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mounting ide-scsi device
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 06:59:40 -0700

I would like to know about SCSI peripheral devices.  The different
types of SCSI devices and what they do.  I am going to school to learn
about computers.  Can you help me.

From: Phillip Lord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship.
Date: 07 Aug 2000 13:46:42 +0100

  blowfish> Phillip Lord wrote:

  blowfish> Oh Boy!

  blowfish> From Penguin to world politics, economic and philosophy
  blowfish> all in one thread... Woo Wee! :P

        Yeah sorry 'bout this. I have never been able to keep to one
argument for long, before I go off rambling on politics. Its one of my
vices.

  blowfish> I've created a MONSTER thread here. :-0

  blowfish> Oil has been the major income for Indonesia for ages.

  blowfish> According to my friends in Indonesia (native people, not
  blowfish> "foreigner.").  The situation is more complex than what
  blowfish> you've described here.

        Always is.

  blowfish> Then, the natives in E. Timor got tired of being ruled by
  blowfish> "outsider.", and tired of the Chinese-Indosians
  blowfish> controlling much of the economy. They rebelled.

        I don't think that it was a question of rebellion. The
Indonesia army invaded E.Timor. This would be about 28 years ago now,
about 2 years after Suharto came to power in E.Timor. And funnily
enough about 8 hours after Gerald Ford's plane left the tarmac on
Jakarta, on the first official visit to Indonesia since Suharto.

  blowfish> As far as the weapon goes. If the U.S., U.K. didn't sell
  blowfish> the Indonesian military the weapon. I'm sure France and
  blowfish> Brazil, or Cz would surely happy to fill the orders. It's
  blowfish> not a moral issue to the weapon trade.  It's just another
  blowfish> business contract.

        This is a facetious argument. I would not get far in a court
if I tried "well okay so I mugged the guy but if I didn't someone else
would". Nor do I hear this argument from the US government when the
send in the marines to burn out the poppy fields of the peasant
farmers of Central America.

        To argue that the arms trade, or indeed most "business" is
separate from politics, and worse still morality is something that I
feel is profoundly wrong.

        Phil

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Changing LILO in Mandrake?
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 12:07:42 GMT

Tim Palmer writes:
> And you half to restart LILO. So mutch for never having to reboot.

Ruuning Lilo does not involve rebooting.  You just type 'lilo' as root and
Lilo reads its configuration file, writes out a new MBR, and returns.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan)
Subject: Scripting the keystrokes in X?
Date: 7 Aug 2000 12:38:29 GMT

I have applications that automatically start up when I go into X &
Windowmaker. There's an annoying popup warning from kppp about my kernel
not supporting ppp even though kppp dials out just fine & dandy. Is there
something similar to Windoze macro recorder that records keystrokes and
mouseclicks so that all I have to do is replay this tiny script each time
I boot into X?

--
jazz
Registered linux user no. 164098  +--+--+--+ Litestep user no. 386

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: OT: PNP OS? (Re: Modem doesn't work (and it's not a WinModem))
Date: 7 Aug 2000 13:11:16 GMT

In alt.linux M. Buchenrieder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: Linux isn't a PNP OS. You'll have to use the isapnptools for this
: modem card to have it recognized in Linux. BTW, you'll have to disable
: your COM2 port in the system's CMOS if you want the modem to be on
: /dev/ttyS1 , otherwise you'll get a HW conflict.

Interesting...

So if isapnp is developed for linux, and even incorporated into the kernel,
and if linux works with PCI -- when is linux considered a PNP OS?  Is it
there now, or does the isapnp part have to be a little more automatic? (AFAIK
you still have to generate and edit an isapnp.conf file, a task which is
not "plugging" and definitely not "playing")

Just curious.

Chris

: Michael
: --
: Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu
:           Lumber Cartel Unit #456 (TINLC) & Official Netscum
:     Note: If you want me to send you email, don't munge your address.

------------------------------

From: Geoff Short <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mouse problems in linux
Date: 7 Aug 2000 13:15:51 GMT

Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I just installed linux mandrake 7.1, and everything works great except I
: cant see a mouse pointer, when I click the mouse reacts like menus and stuff
: open but, still no cursor,
: The mouse worked great with the installation, though,
: That is the puzziling part

It might be a configuration problem with X -- try running the config
program again and seeing if there are any options like `software cursor'
or `hardware cursor' to change.

        Geoff

Ever sit and watch ants? They're always busy with                Geoff Short
something, never stop for a moment.  I just          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
can't identify with that kind of work ethic. http://kipper.york.ac.uk/~geoff

------------------------------

From: Ted Sariyski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: How to change a ro mounted disk to rw?
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 09:19:13 -0400

Hi,How to change a ro mounted disk to rw?

I posted this two days ago but did not get any answer. This a last cry
for help before going to rebuild the system. I messed with the
/etc/fstab and put /dev/hda1 instead of /dev/sda1. At boot time the
system looks for an non-existing device and throw me up in a rescue mode
with /dev/sda1 mounted under / as read-only. If I am able to mount
/dev/sda1 as read-write I will be able to correct the typo in /etc/fstab
and it will save me a lot of time. The problem is that I do not know how
to do this. I am unable to umount /dev/sda1. When I submit "umount
/dev/sda1" the system doesn't complain but do nothing. I am stuck. Is
there a way to change the mode of a mounted file system from ro to rw. I
will highly appreciate any help, hint, points to howto, etc.

Thanks. Ted

------------------------------

From: Geoff Short <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 7 Aug 2000 13:19:58 GMT

B'ichela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: 4:2345:respawn:top >/dev/tty4 </dev/tty4 2>&1

:       Only problem is. anyone who goes to /dev/tty4, even non root
: can raise hell by killing anyones processes they want! as /dev/tty4
: will be running a program with the effective UID of ROOT!

RTFM.  top has a secure flag (-s) for this purpose.  You could also
run it as a different user using su, although you might then run into
problems with access to tty4...

From: pdlamb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help burning CDR (iso) image
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 08:21:02 -0500

I need some help burning an image to a CD.  I haven't been able to burn
it with cdrecord, using a command line like 'cdrecord speed=4 dev=0,0,0
-v pinstripe-powertools-i386.iso' -- makes the best coaster you've ever
seen!  I've had my best luck mastering and burning images with xcdroast,
but I can't figure out how to specify an image file.

Versions?  xcdroast 0.98alpha6
           cdrecord 1.8.1
Any help/pointers/suggestions would be welcome.

                Pat

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Kahari)
Date: 7 Aug 2000 15:25:31 +0100

In article <8mmcq7$gpd$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Geoff Short  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>: I just installed linux mandrake 7.1, and everything works great except I
>: cant see a mouse pointer, when I click the mouse reacts like menus and stuff
>: open but, still no cursor,
>: The mouse worked great with the installation, though,
>: That is the puzziling part
>
>It might be a configuration problem with X -- try running the config
>program again and seeing if there are any options like `software cursor'
>or `hardware cursor' to change.

Try adding

Option "sw_cursor"

to the "Device"-section of /etc/X11/XF86Config if you can't find any
option in your configuration program. Read the README for your X
server ("XF86_S3" or whatever you use) to get the right option string
though, or if there is something completely different that you have to
pay attention to.

/A

From: "JR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: icons on virtual desktops
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 15:22:59 +0100

Same icons on all desktops.
Anyone know how to configure icons for each desktop separately?

Jan
(mail: remove no spam)

From: Vlar Schreidlocke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Size of /var/lib/rpm - why so big?
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 13:53:11 GMT

So, if I have a smaller /var partition (I didn't realize that all the
rpm database stuff went in here) am I screwed?