Linux-Misc Digest #390, Volume #25                Wed, 9 Aug 00 02:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  weird cron problem (dave)
  init problem (Charles Stroom)
  Re: init problem (Prasanth A. Kumar)
  Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship. (John Hasler)
  Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship. (John Hasler)
  Re: Book to learn about Server-Side Apps? (Dances With Crows)
  ~~~Configure X Technical Difficulties~~~ (N/A)
  Re: Run Linux from a CD only (Kojo)
  ~~Configure X Technical Difficulties~~ (N/A)
  ~~~Configure X Technical Difficulties~~~ (N/A)
  Re: ~~Configure X Technical Difficulties~~ (Prasanth A. Kumar)
  Re: Need a bootCD (Dances With Crows)
  Re: Run Linux from a CD only (Juergen Pfann)
  Re: ~~~Configure X Technical Difficulties~~~ (Kichi Leung)
  Re: kernel 2.2.17 (Kichi Leung)
  Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship. (John Hasler)
  Re: Win2k-Outlook and Linux ("James Gray")
  Re: Dialing into an NT RAS server from Linux (arvind)
  Re: *X Cant Detect* (N/A)
  *Apology* (N/A)
  Re: Dialing into an NT RAS server from Linux (arvind)
  Re: *X Cant Detect* (Prasanth A. Kumar)
  Re: Need a bootCD (Simon Lemieux)
  Re: Need a bootCD (Frank Arnold)

From: dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: weird cron problem
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 06:13:01 +0200

I can use the crontab as root, but not as a user.

I have created the cron file as user using the crontab
-e command. This file is located in /var/spool/cron/user.
The problem is that crond does not execute this file. I have
tried the same as root, and crond did execute it. Why does
cron only works with root generated crontab files? (It's suppose to do
both AFAIK)

(after some doc reading..)
The weird thing is that once I added /etc/cron.allow and /etc/cron.deny
and added user to the /etc/cron.allow, the crontab would say that the
user
is NOT allowed to use crond? What is happening? How can I make crond
execute user
generated crontab files?

I use Linux Mandrake 7.1

thanks, Dave

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles Stroom)
Subject: init problem
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 04:06:22 GMT

I have upgraded my SuSE 6.1 with the patches available
from their download site and when I rebooted the machine
I am getting now (before the first login prompt) the
following message repeatedly:

fiume init: Id "mo" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

With a "ctrl-c", I could kill that and I got indeed the
normal login prompt and everything seems to be running ok.
Does anyone know what the cause could be?

Charles Stroom

email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
url:   http://www.fiume.demon.nl/

------------------------------

Subject: Re: init problem
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Prasanth A. Kumar)
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 04:13:19 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles Stroom) writes:

> I have upgraded my SuSE 6.1 with the patches available
> from their download site and when I rebooted the machine
> I am getting now (before the first login prompt) the
> following message repeatedly:
>
> fiume init: Id "mo" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
>
> With a "ctrl-c", I could kill that and I got indeed the
> normal login prompt and everything seems to be running ok.
> Does anyone know what the cause could be?
<snip>

This 'respawning too fast' error generally means that an attempt by
init to run that program failed so it kept trying again and again. So
look in your file /etc/inittab and see if there is a line starting
with 'mo'. I don't have such a line on my system so if you can't make
sense of it, then followup with details.

--
Prasanth Kumar

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship.
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 02:37:26 GMT

blowfish writes:
> So. The money is still not free. The money probably came from tax payers
> in Finland. No?

No.  It did not come from any taxpayers anywhere (except in the sense that
the people it came from undoubtedly pay taxes).

> What about the ideas of free as in speech, and free as in beer, that you
> guys are so into promoting!?

We are "promoting" free as in speech.  We are not promoting free as in
beer.

> Everything must be free. Right?

Wrong.

> Then, why you guys are taking the money?

We _like_ money.  It pays the bills.

> Why not donnate the money to some charitable causes?

I always donate a few bucks to the FSF when I order a CD, but that's all I
can afford.

> what is?

What Linux distribution you use.  The Debian Free Software Guidelines are
the generally accepted definition of free software.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 02:58:05 GMT

blowfish writes:
> Let's say:

> Somebody stole your idea

It is impossible to steal an idea.

> of what you were going to contribute to Debian/GNU-GPL-whatever.

Pppconfig will do as an example.  Quite a few people have had the idea of a
ppp configurator: it is not a particulary original concept.  I don't think
anyone else has implemented it quite as well as I have, but then I am not
exactly unbiased.

> The same idea/codes that you got $25k as a reward from the Finnish
> government.

The last time I received any sort of "reward" from any government was when
I collected my final pay from the US Army thirty years ago.

> ...and submitted it to Debian, whoever ahead of you, but it's the same
> copy of what you've got...

If I had made pppconfig available  before I packaged it and uploaded it,
and another Debian developer had done so first, then he would have become
the maintainer of the pppconfig package.  He undoubtedly would have given
the package to me as soon as I expressed interest in maintaining it though:
as author I'm better qualified to maintain it then anyone else.

> ...and now this person got the $25k reward...

I was already a Debian developer when I wrote pppconfig.  In order to
upload it he would have to also be a Debian developer.  All Debian
developers had the same opportunity that I made $25k on.  Thus your
scenario falls apart.

>.. from the same Finnish govt.,

>From no government.

> ...with a copy of the codes that you wrote.

You can get a copy of "the codes I wrote" from the Debian archive any time
you wish.  You won't have much luck uploading the code to Debian, though.
To begin with, you'd need to be a Debian developer.  You'd never qualify.

> Now. How would you feel about that!?

Life is not a zero-sum game.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To:
comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Book to learn about Server-Side Apps?
Date: 9 Aug 2000 04:25:47 GMT

On Wed, 09 Aug 2000 03:33:40 GMT, NoSpam@ wrote:
>>Mitchell Timin wrote:
>> Can someone recommend such a book?  I'm an out-of-date programmer.  I
>> don't know CGI, PHP, XML, or most of the other acronyms involved in
>> active websites.  I would like to understand how it all works.
>Have you thought of Perl? I'm no programmer but manage to get some
>things done with it including homespun DB's.  It's supposed to be very
>easy for C-programmers.

??  Different strokes for different folks, but I found PHP to be far
easier/nicer for average dynamic content than Perl, and I started out
with C.  The syntax is much closer to C, and IMHO combines most of the
best features of C and Perl.  There's a quick-n-dirty PHP intro,
covering installation and scripting basics, at this URL:
  http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/99/21/index2a.html
And, of course, http://php.net/ has a bunch of stuff.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /   Tyranny is always better organized
http://www.brainbench.com     /    than freedom.
=============================/              ==Charles Peguy

------------------------------

From: N/A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ~~~Configure X Technical Difficulties~~~
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 04:30:00 GMT

*i cant locate my hardware to configure X so when picking the closest i
can find to it i get this error:

An Error Occured:
(**) SVGA: 16bpp not supported for this chipset

        try changing some parameters

my computer's system specifications are......
-800 X 600 High Color (16 Bit)
-Intel (r) 82801AA SMBus Controller
-PAVILION M50 on Intel(R) 810 Chipset Graphics Driver PV1.0
-Hewlett Packard Pavilion M50

QUESTION:  How can i fix this problem so Linux will detect my hardware and
i wont get a Flashing Display? I would like to have the functioning
Graphical Login.

From: Kojo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Run Linux from a CD only
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 04:29:56 GMT

Lew Pitcher wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Aug 2000 12:45:18 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> >I can find quite a few floppy based Linux projects.
> >
> >I'm after a linux version which mounts itself and runs without a
> >harddisk, using a ramdisk solution like the floppies. I know I can't
> >save any config changes. But I'm after more programs than can be
> >distributed with just a floppy.
> >
> >Pref .bin download for easy CD creation.
>
> Slackware Linux (http://www.slackware.com/) _used to_ provide an
> install that would run directly from the CD. Since I never used it, I
> cant tell you either how well it ran, or if the latest Slackware
> releases support it. I can tell you that I last saw it on Slackware
> 3.3 (I've since upgraded to Slackware 7.0).

I know it's still in effect as of Slackware 4.0...I would assume the same
for 7.0 and 7.1, but I 'd check just to be sure.  The ability to run from a
CD is one of the reasons I started with Slack 3.3.

As for how it runs, it's definetly slower than running from the HD, but
that's the trade off you make for simplicity (not having to partion, etc.).
You can even run X if you want.

Hope this helps,

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Prasanth A. Kumar)
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 04:37:07 GMT

N/A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> *i cant locate my hardware to configure X so when picking the closest i
> can find to it i get this error:
>
> An Error Occured:
> (**) SVGA: 16bpp not supported for this chipset
>
>         try changing some parameters
>
> my computer's system specifications are......
> -800 X 600 High Color (16 Bit)
> -Intel (r) 82801AA SMBus Controller
> -PAVILION M50 on Intel(R) 810 Chipset Graphics Driver PV1.0
> -Hewlett Packard Pavilion M50
>
> QUESTION:  How can i fix this problem so Linux will detect my hardware and
> i wont get a Flashing Display? I would like to have the functioning
> Graphical Login.
<snip>

Since you have a i810 graphics chipset, the following link from the Red
Hat might be of use to you for general hints even if you don't use Red
hat Linux.

http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/tips/i810.html

--
Prasanth Kumar

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Need a bootCD
Date: 9 Aug 2000 04:43:09 GMT

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000 19:52:30 -0700, Frank Arnold wrote:
>On Tue, 08 Aug 2000, Simon Lemieux wrote:
>>    Now I can only boot Windows, no more LILO prompt...  What I need is a
>>bootable floppy to /sbin/lilo! but I don't have a floppy drive...
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>http://www.toms.net/rb/
>Write it to a floppy, boot with it, mount your linux drive and you're in.

Ordinarily, your advice (and mst's advice) would be the easiest way to go.
However, it seems that neither you nor mst read the original poster's
message.  Simon L. doesn't have a floppy drive on this x86 machine,
therefore Tom's RootBoot is not an option!

Please read the entire message before jumping in next time, and take a
look at http://linuxcare.com/bootable_cd/ .  It requires a bit more work
than Tom's, but it's seriously cool and you can even run X from it
and burn it using "cdrecord -multi", leaving ~600M free on a standard
CD-R for various other things.  It's one thing (Tom's is the other!)
that should be in every hardcore Linux user's toolbox.

From: Juergen Pfann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 06:57:41 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I can find quite a few floppy based Linux projects.
>
> I'm after a linux version which mounts itself and runs without a
> harddisk, using a ramdisk solution like the floppies. I know I can't
> save any config changes. But I'm after more programs than can be
> distributed with just a floppy.
>
> Pref .bin download for easy CD creation.
>
> TIA
>
> Jon

Maybe
http://linuxcare.com/bootable_cd/
is the right for you...

HTH

Juergen

------------------------------

From: Kichi Leung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 12:58:19 +0800

On Wed, 09 Aug 2000, N/A wrote:

<snip>

>An Error Occured:
>(**) SVGA: 16bpp not supported for this chipset
>
>        try changing some parameters

Seems like you have a problem with video card chipset.
Try using the SuperProbe program (as root?) to get the chipset autodetected,
then select the corresponding chipset in XF86Setup.
I do hope you have your monitor's documentation though, because you can't
autodetect monitor settings. But if you don't, then you could try selecting
"typical" monitor settings from XF86Setup.

<snip>

>i wont get a Flashing Display? I would like to have the functioning
>Graphical Login.

Make sure you can start X before you even try graphical login....

=====
Kichi Leung

From: Kichi Leung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kernel 2.2.17
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 13:04:36 +0800

On Wed, 09 Aug 2000, David M. Cook wrote:
>On Tue, 8 Aug 2000 21:25:19 +0200, Florian E.J. Fruth
><fejf@gmx*/dev/null*.de> wrote:
>
>>why don't use 2.4.0-test5 ?
>
>For a distribution release?  Would you install that on your mail server?

IMHO, I think Linus should have renumbered the 2.4.0-testx kernels 2.3.1xx or
something. The version number may be quite misleading (ie, 2.4.x but still not
a distribution release).

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 03:40:58 GMT

blowfish writes:
> No. I'm not interested into contributing to the GNU-GPL at all. As I
> don't even believe in the GNU-GPL lisence.

So release your free software under one of the many other free software
licenses.  The X license is quite popular (it is an improved version of the
BSD license).
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

From: "James Gray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Win2k-Outlook and Linux
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 15:29:03 +1000

Err, I know little about Win2K - but you may get some milage from VNC
(Virtual Network Computing) from AT&T.  It's a GPL'ed "PC Anywhere" type
system but runs on basically anything!

As for Outlook - try a MS newsgroup :-)

Cheers,

James

------------------------------

From: arvind <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dialing into an NT RAS server from Linux
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 05:30:06 GMT

Pete wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm pretty new to linux. I have Red Hat 6.0 (2.2.5-22) and am trying to
> dial-up a RAS server
> (NT). My modem dials and the other end answers, I exit minicom (without
> resetting modem of course)
> then I fire up PPPD with     pppd 115200 /dev/ttyS1
>
>  but not much happens. I've read many HOW-TO's but I still can't seem to
> figure it
> out. I always do an ifconfig after this, but never see PPP interface
up  :(
> I know the NT box allows clear text authentication.
> I'm sure I'm not too far away from getting this to work... something in
the
> PPP
> negotiaition ???
> If anyone has any suggestions to get this working I'll be greatly
> appreciative.
>
> I've attached a few of my files below.
>
> options file.......
>
> lock
> defaultroute
> noipdefault
> debug
> name myname
>

> /var/log/messages file.....
>
> Nov 13 00:36:54 petelinx pppd[625]: pppd 2.3.7 started by root, uid 0
> Nov 13 00:36:54 petelinx pppd[625]: Using interface ppp0
> Nov 13 00:36:54 petelinx pppd[625]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
> Nov 13 00:37:24 petelinx pppd[625]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
> Nov 13 00:37:24 petelinx pppd[625]: Connection terminated.
> Nov 13 00:37:24 petelinx pppd[625]: Connect time 0.5 minutes.
> Nov 13 00:37:24 petelinx pppd[625]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
> Nov 13 00:37:24 petelinx pppd[625]: Exit.

Some little changes:
Ur options file look like following :
-detach
/dev/ttyS1
lock
crtscts
defaultroute
asyncmap 0
netmask 255.255.255.0
mtu 1500
mru 1500
noauth

And ur fireup scripts are:(open in any editor)

/usr/sbin/pppd -detach /dev/ttyS1 115200 &

Make sure ur boud rate same in minicom means 115200.

Any problem reply back to me
________
Arvind

From: N/A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: *X Cant Detect*
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 05:30:06 GMT

spike1 wrote:

> N/A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> > i have Mandrake Linux 7.0. istall runs smoothy until i reach the
section
> > of 'Configure X', when trying to pick the items closest to my hardware
> > being that my hardware isnt listed i get the following error:
>
> Sod off N/A.
> We've told you about this before.
> If you're not prepared to listen to any of us, why should we be prepared
> help you?
>
> HINT for the hard of thinking. (That's you, that is)
> STOP POSTING THE SAME QUERY 3 TIMES WITH DIFFERENT SUBJECT LINES!!!!
>
> > An Error Occured:
>
> Yes... You Occurred. And recurred... And recurred again...

___
> |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|                                                 |
> |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| "The day Microsoft makes something that
doesn't |
> |            in            |  suck is probably the day they start
making     |
> |     Computer science     |  vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan
Plugge            |
=====

oh im sorry, i thought you were supposed to check in under all categorys
that apply to the question.....sorry wont happen again

From: N/A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: *Apology*
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 05:30:07 GMT

sorry for posting so many times people i kinda thought you had to fill in
all categorys that applied, forgive me, i hope youll still answere my
inquiries.

From: arvind <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 05:30:06 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Prasanth A. Kumar)
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 05:42:41 GMT

N/A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> spike1 wrote:
> >

> > N/A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> > > i have Mandrake Linux 7.0. istall runs smoothy until i reach the
> section
> > > of 'Configure X', when trying to pick the items closest to my hardware
> > > being that my hardware isnt listed i get the following error:
> >
> > Sod off N/A.
> > We've told you about this before.
> > If you're not prepared to listen to any of us, why should we be prepared
> > help you?
> >
> > HINT for the hard of thinking. (That's you, that is)
> > STOP POSTING THE SAME QUERY 3 TIMES WITH DIFFERENT SUBJECT LINES!!!!
> >
> > > An Error Occured:
> >
> > Yes... You Occurred. And recurred... And recurred again...
<snip>
> oh im sorry, i thought you were supposed to check in under all categorys
> that apply to the question.....sorry wont happen again

If you are not aware, although you send the question through
www.help.com, the questions get posted through thousands of news
servers on the net...

--
Prasanth Kumar

From: Simon Lemieux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 05:56:39 GMT

Thanks guys, it worked I got linux back!

Btw, for future reference, this really works:

Dances With Crows wrote:
>   http://www.linuxcare.com/bootable_cd/
> It's roughly 40M in size, should be burnable with several WinXX
> cd-burning programs.  I'm going to make me one, even though it won't
> have the nifty business-card form-factor.  It includes an awful lot of
> utilities for rescuing systems, including LILO.  Bonne chance, HTH.

Thanks,
        Simon

------------------------------

From: Frank Arnold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 22:54:21 -0700

Good point and thanks much for the tip.
But consider this:
I have DSL from PacBell and use their news feed
which loses a considerable number of messages
despite lots of consumer complaints. Don't remember seeing
the original message and wouldn't have time to respond
to anything if I had to keeping jumping back and forth
from Deja just to see if I missed something.
I know, I need a better news feed.
Frank Arnolc