Linux-Misc Digest #453, Volume #25               Tue, 15 Aug 00 14:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  kernel compiling for sparc64 under sparc32 (Daniel Goergen)
  Re: Problem With /bin/login Behavior (Ian Rawlings)
  Root Password and logon (Bruce T Armstrong)
  Re: Problem With /bin/login Behavior ("Mark T. Dame")
  Re: Problem With /bin/login Behavior ("Mark T. Dame")
  Re: NIS+ (Dave Hinz)
  Re: Root Password and logon (Eric)
  Graphics issues (Anthony Di Paola)
  Re: Problem mounting Windows partition ("Jeff Muse")
  Re: Graphics issues (Dances With Crows)
  Re: Problem mounting Windows partition (Daniel Nelson)
  How do I show all open files? (Dave Barcelo)
  Re: A Big Red Button (and a beep) (Geoff Short)
  Re: removing Gome panel (Ed Hurst)
  Re: How do I show all open files? (Joshua Baker-LePain)
  Mandrake-7.1 + Dual Celeron BP6 ? (Ish Rattan)
  Re: cronjob: disable email notice (David Steuber)
  Re: Kernel 2.2.17-pre* (David Steuber)
  Re: Dual NICs of same type? (David Steuber)
  Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Seek Linux Admin in NJ ("ortius")
  lilo or grub? (Jeff Davis)
  drive or controller problem? (Paul Cullum)

From: Daniel Goergen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: kernel compiling for sparc64 under sparc32
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 15:16:01 +0200

Hello!
How can I compile a Kernel for a sparc64 on a sparc32 machine?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Rawlings)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: Problem With /bin/login Behavior
Date: 15 Aug 2000 10:31:26 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Bill \"Houdini\" Weiss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Are you out of your mind?  You want a null login on a publically
> accesable system?  Jesus..

>From the look of it he wants it to change from;

====================
hostname login: <enter>

Login incorrect

hostname login:
====================

to;

====================
hostname login: <enter>

hostname login:
====================

i.e. just remove the error message, no suggestion of no-password
logins.

--
There are no facts, only opinions

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bruce T Armstrong)
Subject: Root Password and logon
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 13:42:20 GMT

Is there a way to go straight into LINUX and avoid logging on for
ever.
Bruce T.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 09:43:50 -0400
From: "Mark T. Dame" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Grant Petersen wrote:

> I think they need just to be re-prompted for login if  just a CR is sent
> rather then getting a bad login prompt.
> I didn't get that they want a null login from the mail I read.

Exactly.

> Maybe it's for some kind of automated remote task via telnet. Isn't expect a
> tool for this kind of thing ?

We have a large number of users with automated login scripts.  The
scripts start off with three carriage returns.  This causes the user to
get three "Login incorrect" messages before they log in.  In addition to
the multitude of clueless users who think that this means there's a
problem, there are times (on slower connections) where the word "Login"
triggers the next part of the script resulting in real problems.

Since it's completely impractical to replace all of the users' login
scripts, I need to get rid of the "Login incorrect" message.

-m
--
## Mark T. Dame:  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
## WWW:  http://www.mfm.com/~mdame/

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 09:47:01 -0400
From: "Mark T. Dame" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Floyd Davidson wrote:

> "Bill \"Houdini\" Weiss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >On Mon, 14 Aug 2000 18:17:07 -0400, Mara allowed "Mark T. Dame"
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> to write:
> >
> >>Hello.
> >>
> >>I have a RedHat 6.2 system on which I need to change the behavior of
> >>/bin/login for telnet sessions.  When you telnet to the box and press
> >><Enter> at the login: prompt (without entering a username) you get
> >>"Login incorrect".  On the console it just gives you another login:
> >>prompt.  I need /bin/login to behave the same way for a telnet session
> >>as it does for the console (at least in this regard).
> >
> He did not say he wanted a null login.  He wants a null entry to
> cause a "Login incorrect" response rather than just provide
> another login prompt.

You got it backwards.

> That would be a rather simple hack to make to the getty program;
> however, it is probably not one that should actually be made.
>
> The typical script for a shell login via a serial port expects
> to be able to send multiple newlines to the serial port to
> eventually wake up a getty process of some kind, and
> then detect a "login:" prompt.

Exactly, and by default, RedHat (at least) doesn't behave that way.  It
gives you "Login incorrect" when you don't provide a password rather
than just prompting you again with "login:".  In my mind, this is broken
behavior.

-m
--
## Mark T. Dame:  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
## WWW:  http://www.mfm.com/~mdame/
## MFM Communication Software:  http://www.mfm.com/
"The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody
 appreciates how difficult it was."
     -- Walt West

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Hinz)
Crossposted-To: alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.solaris,comp.unix.admin,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: NIS+
Date: 15 Aug 2000 09:10:10 -0500

Kenneth Simpson ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hi - I tried it under Redhat 5.x without success.

A lot has changed since 5.x; it's worth the cost to upgrade...

: It also appears Redhat has at least two different implementations
: of NIS. I would avoid the one without ypbind.

Depends - is this the current state of affairs, or as of 5.x?

Dave Hinz

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Root Password and logon
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 16:30:36 +0200

Bruce T Armstrong wrote:

> Is there a way to go straight into LINUX and avoid logging on for
> ever.
> Bruce T.

Yes there is,

you can boot the system single user, which by default isn't password
protected
on RH systems (other distro's might have this protected). If you want
multi-user mode, you can change an entry in /etc/initab

the line containing:
 1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
you can change to:
 1:2345:respawn:/bin/su - USERNAME

As a remark: this can be done, but I strongly advise you you not to do
this

Eric

------------------------------

From: Anthony Di Paola <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Graphics issues
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 10:50:17 -0400

How can I change the refresh rate for my linux system.  I know the
hardware is capable of refreshing at 85 Hz but I cannot see how to set
this in Linux.  Any help would be appreciated

--
Anthony Di Paola

------------------------------

From: "Jeff Muse" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Problem mounting Windows partition
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 09:30:38 -0700

Linux is trying to mount /dev/hda1 to /mnt/win, which I bet you don't have
on your system. Either create it or change your mount point, and it should
work.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Graphics issues
Date: 15 Aug 2000 15:07:10 GMT

On Tue, 15 Aug 2000 10:50:17 -0400, Anthony Di Paola wrote:
>How can I change the refresh rate for my linux system.  I know the
>hardware is capable of refreshing at 85 Hz but I cannot see how to set
>this in Linux.  Any help would be appreciated

Grab your monitor's manual and look in it for the Hsync and Vsync
values.  Hsync is in KHz, Vsync is in Hz.  Then run an X configuration
program (SaX, Xconfigurator, DrakX, XF86Setup, xf86config) and enter
those Hsync and Vsync values in.  Some of those X config programs will
make you go into "advanced mode" to do this.  Once you've done that,
your X will almost certainly refresh at a higher rate.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Those who do not understand Unix are
http://www.brainbench.com     /   condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
=============================/           ==Henry Spencer

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daniel Nelson)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 15:43:06 GMT

Did you create the directory "/mnt/win" ? if not, run "mkdir /mnt/win"
(w/o the quotes).  Tell me if that doesn't work.

        -Dan

From: Dave Barcelo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How do I show all open files?
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 10:44:42 -0500

How do I show all open files that my users have open?

Thanx

------------------------------

From: Geoff Short <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A Big Red Button (and a beep)
Date: 15 Aug 2000 15:54:54 GMT

Kris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I have a headless P166 running Debian in the corner ...

: So, would it be possible to attach a Big Red Button ...

I've done this on a couple of machines, in two ways: once using a
parallel port (the output lines were used to drive status leds) and once
on the joystick port.

You're more likely to have a joystick port free, at a guess -- I used the
turbo switch on the front panel and connected it to two of the header pins
on the board.  Then run a small program which checks the port and
calls shutdown if there's a change of status.

Oh, and I added  a beep to the string which gets printed at halt --
something like Power Down, in /etc/rc.d/rc.0 at a guess.  In the past
(with the flashy lights) I've hacked shutdown to do stuff just before it
calls halt() -- this is probably overkill.

        Geoff
Ever sit and watch ants? They're always busy with                Geoff Short
something, never stop for a moment.  I just          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
can't identify with that kind of work ethic. http://kipper.york.ac.uk/~geoff

------------------------------

From: Ed Hurst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: removing Gome panel
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 10:36:17 -0500

Gareth Williams wrote:

> Ed Hurst wrote:
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Ed wrote:
> It's simpler to shut Gnome down and run
> > Enlightenment alone. You will still have access to all Gnome and KDE
> > utilities, due to Enlightenment's built-in compatibility.
> >
> > Ed
>
> Er... Red Hat doesn't like "pure" enlightenment.  I tried it and almost
> crashed my machine.  I wrote to RH2's support team and they confirmed
> that, as far as RH2 was concerned, Enlightenment will only run within
> Gnome and not as a standalone session manager.
> Unless they were lying...:-)

Odd they should say that, since I've done it often on my RH6.1. I can't
get it to start from the graphical login screen, true, but I get to it
from IceWM-- another fine window manager that RH doesn't ship. I can
relate to you how I got this done, but it's too detailed for NG posting.
The real drawback is that Enlightenment doesn't yet allow you to switch
to another window manager; you either stay in it, or log out.

Ed

------------------------------

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I show all open files?
Date: 15 Aug 2000 16:16:20 GMT

Dave Barcelo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> How do I show all open files that my users have open?

lsof (shows all open files)

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 12:22:22 -0400
From: Ish Rattan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mandrake-7.1 + Dual Celeron BP6 ?

Hello

I just installed Madrake-7.1 on a Abit-BP6 motherboard with dual 500Mhz
Celerons.
The system reports only 64Mb RAM  (out of 128Mb installed -- detected
correctly at
power up by the BIOS). Is there a way to make it see the rest of the
RAM?

Thanks in advance,

- ishwar

------------------------------

Subject: Re: cronjob: disable email notice
From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 17:00:03 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Prasanth A. Kumar) writes:

' The 'proper way' to do this is set MAILTO=""

Maybe you want mail notifications from some jobs but not others.  I
prefer the /dev/null approach.

--
David Steuber   |   Hi!  My name is David Steuber, and I am
NRA Member      |   a hoploholic.

The problem with AI is that it has a mind of its own
        --- Devon Miller

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Kernel 2.2.17-pre*
From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 17:00:03 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Hymers) writes:

' >Not sure, but how big is your swap partition.
' 32MB.  That should be enough shouldn't it?

The SuSE Linux installer sets the swap to 128MB by default, the
largest your swap partition can be on any one disk.  With disks being
as large as they are these days, it seems the only way to go.  This
would be especially true if you didn't have enough real memory to do
the job.

If you run out of system memory, you can't even open up another shell
to kill tasks that you don't want anymore.  You better hope that your
existing shell is still working.

I have 128MB of RAM on each of my machines.  I am upgrading the newest
one to 384MB as soon as I get the memory module.  Here is a free from
that machine:

david@apostrophe:~/notes > free
Mem:        128120      78188      49932      53452      33316      17660
-/+ buffers/cache:      27212     100908
Swap:       136544        680     135864

The machine has been idle all night, so it has been returning unused
memory to the system.  But some of the swap space is still in use even
though there is plenty of real memory available at this snapshot in
time.

--
David Steuber   |   Hi!  My name is David Steuber, and I am
NRA Member      |   a hoploholic.
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=hoplite&submit=Look+it+up

The problem with AI is that it has a mind of its own
        --- Devon Miller

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Dual NICs of same type?
From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 17:00:04 GMT

I just added a second 3C905B-TX to my new computer.  The existing card
suddenly became eth1 instead of eth0.  What did I do about this?  I
moved the cable to the new card!

I suspect that the location in the PCI bus has something to do with
how the cards get configured during powerup.  As long as they are
consistent in their behavior, I don't really mind.  I just have to
remember to plug the CAT5s into the right cards.  I think I will
simply use an old technique known as labeling the NICs ;-).

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship.
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 11:34:09 +0100

blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> So. You're leeching off a free service. ;-)

Agsin. How am I leeching off a free service when the service isn't FREE?
Grrrr... Learn to read you total moron!

>> > Freenet. Somebody is funding it, even if you don't have to pay for it.
>>
>> Telephone charges fund it. That's how it works at the moment.

> So now you admitted it. You're leeching off, getting a free ride.

Errrr... How does "telephone charges fund it (that I'M PAYING) equate to
leeching???

I think you need to go back to school and learn a little bit of that reading
comprehension. You seem to be able to understand individual words but can't
grasp the meaning of sentences.

> A bot?  No. I don't even watch sci-fi movies. Never like those tech stuff.

*sigh*
Now he claims not to even know what a bot is...
It's a program that parses english and attempts to come back with a
reasonable reply. You're obviously in the pre-alpha stages of developement.

|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   | "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste!         |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)|  I can SMELL!!!  KRYTEN!!! Unpack Rachel and    |
|            in            |  get out the puncture repair kit!"              |
|     Computer Science     |     Arnold Judas Rimmer- Red Dwarf              |

From: "ortius" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Seek Linux Admin in NJ
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 13:18:12 -0400

IE marketing llc is seeking an experienced Linux Admin to maintain our
servers.
Linux, Apache, ProFTP, Mod_perl, Exim, Qmail, SSL, mirroring, load
balancing, DNS, security, etceteras experience required.

Entertainment industry work, perks, relaxed work environment. Full time
position. Adobe GoLive, cgi/perl,  web design experience would be a plus,
but not necessary.

Quite, Sussex county location. Very flexible hours. Work from home is a
possibility.

eMail resume and salary requirements to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Remove NOSPAMTHIS to email. Put ADMIN in Subject line.

mike
ie mktg llc

--
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese .

------------------------------

From: Jeff Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: lilo or grub?
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 17:29:38 GMT

What are the differences between lilo and grub and which is considered
more stable? All I have used so far is lilo, and I am trying to firgure
out whether I should switch or upgrade to the latest lilo.

Thanks,
Jeff Davis

------------------------------

From: Paul Cullum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: drive or controller problem?
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 13:25:20 -0400

I've got a problem that I think is my hard drive.

I recently shutdown a system in order to plug it in to a UPS.  It has
been running seemingly fine for the past two weeks.  While it was
shutting down I got some fairly low level messages to the effect that it
was having problems reading/writing to a whole bunch of sectors.  I
started it up again right away to make sure there wasn't anything
seriously wrong but I didn't even get to lilo.  I booted from a disk in
rescue mode and tried to fsck and my root partition /dev/hda3 seemed to
have a number of errors that just couldn't seem to be fixed. I my /var
and /home are on separate partitions which still seem sound.  I decided
to reformat /dev/hda3 and reinstall Mandrake from CD.  It seemed to go
flawlessly.  When I rebooted the bootloader (GRUB) refused to come up.
I booted from the rescue disk and installed LILO.  I can now get the
LILO boot: prompt but when I try to boot Linux it seems to fail and I
get the following code displayed:

0x10

What is this trying to tell me?  Running fsck also still finds errors on
/dev/hda3. (Which is ext2fs BTW.)

Is there something I can to make this drive usable again?

Thanks,
Paul