From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ivar Nilsson)
Subject: Re: Linux vs Windows ME
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 11:01:36 GMT

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000 (nobdy) wrote:

>Ok....
>Linux is free as in speech..... It can be also free as in beer however
>you have to shift your mentality from a "money is the source of all
>progress" mentality.

--- plenty of stuff cut ---

That my friend, was one of the best summaries I've ever read!

/Ivar

------------------------------

From: Sparding <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: samba + win98 problems
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 13:16:49 +0200

vanepelw schrieb:

> I am trying to network a linux machine (suse 6.4) with a windows
> 98 machine.
> windows machine = Win98
> Linux machine hostname = Linuxbox
>
> i have (or am pretty sure i have) the settings in smb.conf
> correct. i am running a checklist i found at the samba.org page,
> and when i get to the test to ping my samba server, i have
> problems.
>
> at the dos prompt i type:
>
> ping Linuxbox
>
> the ping gets a reply from my Win98 machine's ip address. the
> travel time is 0ms. i can ping the samba machine using its ip,
> and it works fine.
>
> somewhere in my win98 machine, some settings are incorrect. can
> anyone direct me where to look??
>
> thanks

> Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
> Up to 100 minutes free!
> http://www.keen.com

Check smb.conf for
guest account = nobody
otherwise win98 cannot explore the network.

------------------------------

From: Florian Lorenzen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can cron invoke processes to run in foreground?
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 13:40:25 +0000

Hi there,

I didn't know where to post this question, please tell me better.

Can cron invoke a process so that it runs in foreground on some destined
tty? Or is there a possibility to get a process started by cron to
foreground, some SIG-signal perhaps?

Hope someone can help.

Florian

------------------------------

From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Oh !@# I just wiped my RPM database
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 12:05:32 +0000

ian holsman wrote:

> I was upgrading to rpm 4, and I fried my existing rpm database
> any easy ways to recover this?
>
> Thanks

use the --rebuilddb option
--

Bob Martin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Crossposted-To: comp.security.ssh,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: open SSH 2.1.1 cannot connect with PAM authentication (redhat)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 12:39:33 GMT

On 15 Aug 2000 21:18:55 +0300, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>       Does anyone know why this is happening? According to
>       linuxconf, there is no password time expiry limit, and
>       I can still log normally with telnet command.

I had this happen just recently after a system upgrade.  The cause was
that I did not have a /etc/pam.d/sshd file with the PAM parameters for
OpenSSH.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: samba with ipchains
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 12:40:22 GMT

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000 15:36:22 +0800, Hello World
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>how can samba passthrough ipchains?

Inbound?  Port forwarding.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: File transfer from NT to Linux and save ownership
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 12:49:29 GMT

Ok, does anyone know how to transfer files from NT to Linux and keep
ownership?  We have an internally public file system that we are
changing from windows based to linux based using pam and samba.  When
we copy files over, suddenly the copier becomes owner.  Scopy doesn't
work.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Neal

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 14:46:37 +0200
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jim claes)
Subject: HELP: Persistent data storage

Hello,

For a project I am currently working on, I am looking for a way to
store data (strings, integer, double) on file.  The system can be a
database, but this is no real requirement.  Text- or binary-files in a
certain format are acceptable as well.  The only requirement is that
the system is optimized so that the number of write-cycles is limited
to the absolute mimimum.  We are not using a hard-disk, but a
flash-disk and flash allows only a limited number of write-cycles.

If you know of such a system/database/library, please let me know as
soon as possible.  Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Jim Claes.

------------------------------

From: "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: blank screen on redhat 6.2
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 09:01:15 -0400

Don't know if this will work for you, but it worked on my redhat 6.2
system

If you type in "setterm -blank 0" (without quotes) your monitor will
never go into power save mode and the screen will never go blank.

Michael

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: cpio or tar backup and restore
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 12:56:12 GMT

i have redhat 6.1 box that i am trying to do a fullbackup to tape and
then do a restore.  i have used tar and cpio, but i am having problems
with some of the directories, (dev and proc).  i know your not suppose
to backup proc, but when you do a restore, how do you get the proc
directory back on the filesystem?  if someone could explain what
commands they use to do a full backup and restore  using tar or cpio or
whatever i would appreciate it.

From: Doug O'Leary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: redhat or what?
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 08:19:00 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Jason"
<Jason(AT)cyborgworkshop.com> says...

> 1. Every Linux distribution has had/ does have/ will have bugs.
>
> 2. A successful compromise between usability and user friendliness has not
> been reached by any Operating System.
>
> 3. World Domination can't happen in a house divided, so once you have
> settled on a Distro that works well for you, become an advocate and not a
> zealot.
>
> So in short, you won't know what the best Linux distro is until you try a
> few yourself.

Wow, words of wisdom and logic.  I'm sorry, man; you're obviously in the
wrong newsgroup.  I'm going to have to ask you to leave...

Doug

--
===================
Douglas K. O'Leary

From: Shawn E. Corkery <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't modify inetd.conf file
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 13:08:03 GMT

This is really wierd.  I'm logged on as root and I'm trying to modify
the inetd.conf file.  When I try to save my changes I get the
message "readonly option is set (use ! to override)", I use w! and I
get the following message "Can't open file for writing".

I did an ls -l on inetd.conf and instead of root.root as the owner it
was root.mygroupname.  I have no idea how it got my group name on that
file, but when I try chown root.root inetd.conf I get the
following "operation not permitted".  If I try chgrp root inetd.conf I
get the following "you are not a member of group 'root'".

I've tried chmod and get the "operation not permitted" message.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

From: jtoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: can I create root equivalent users?
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 09:51:27 -0400

I have a few different linux boxes running slackware, redhat, and
mandrake at home.  Is it possible to create a user account that has root
access, but with a different name besides root?(can change all system
settings?)  I know its a bad idea and I should just 'su' around(which I
do), butI want to create an emergency account or back door account.  I
am pretty sure you can almost do it.  It mandrake you can use linuxconf
to give users extra privileges, but I want to know how to do it from the
prompt,(I dont like to use X on my web server/IPMASQ/DNS BIND/Sendmail
test servers(plus X doesn't work on half of them because mopst of them
are 486s).  Thanks.
Jason Toy
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://toy.eyep.net

------------------------------

From: "Davide Sanna - Tiscali S.p.A." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: vfat is not vfat but ext2
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 15:44:07 +0200

Hi,

I think I missed something partioning my hd...

Ok, hda2 is VFAT. Good.

Now, I made

     # mke2fs -vm0 /dev/hda2

and it created an ext2 fs. And this is ok.

But, if I do: cfdisk /dev/hda it shows me
/dev/hda2 is FAT32. I think this is correct,
'cause I didn't change partition ID in partition table...

The question is: may I change the ID now (read:
will I lose data or will I have really bad effects,
like looking at Bill Gates and see He's the king of
a (Microsoft) world. Well, in case of world crashing
just backup, reformat and install Linux, please...)

Thanx in advance,

--

 Davide Sanna, reparto tecnico Tiscali S.p.A.
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't modify inetd.conf file
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 09:48:07 -0400

is the partition mounted read only ?

news:8ne3n5$kmg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: The Great Josh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Directory Handling
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 13:44:09 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
<snip>

>   pushd .
>   cd ../../../..
>   do stuff
>   pushd

last line should be
    popd

--
The Great Josh

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Problems with Soft Raid 1 on 2.2.16
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 13:40:51 GMT

Hello.

I did a mistake when recompiling my kernel 2.2.16 that was working
perfectely with Raid 1 before :/

Now the kernel is ok (i do hope)
and my root directory is not on raid partition
and i did not touch my /etc/raidtab
but

================%<
cassiopee:~$ cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1] [raid5] [translucent]
read_ahead 1024 sectors
md0 : active raid1 hdc5[1] 1951744 blocks [2/1] [_U]
md1 : active raid1 hdc6[1] 1951744 blocks [2/1] [_U]
md2 : active raid1 hdc7[1] 979840 blocks [2/1] [_U]
md3 : active raid1 hdc8[1] 1919616 blocks [2/1] [_U]
unused devices: <none>
=================%<

Raid 1 is not working on the two devices anymore...
I do have the impression that it doens't work because the content of the
parrallel devices have changed...dmsg said that he cannot find a spare
disk to rebuild it...
Do I have to rebuild all the md devices from zero (mke2fs -f /dev/md(x))
and put all the backed stuff on each?
Or there is at this point a save and more elegant solution?
Thank you in advance for any help.

Dans Renaud.

And there is my dmesg....

============%<
hda: Maxtor 90840D6, 8010MB w/256kB Cache, CHS=1021/255/63, (U)DMA
hdc: Maxtor 90840D6, 8010MB w/256kB Cache, CHS=16276/16/63, (U)DMA
hdd: WDC AC2540F, 515MB w/64kB Cache, CHS=1048/16/63
hdb: ATAPI 40X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.09
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
md driver 0.90.0 MAX_MD_DEVS=256, MAX_REAL=12
translucent personality registered
linear personality registered
raid0 personality registered
raid1 personality registered
raid5 personality registered
raid5: measuring checksumming speed
raid5: MMX detected, trying high-speed MMX checksum routines
   pII_mmx   :   981.456 MB/sec
   p5_mmx    :   999.363 MB/sec
   8regs     :   753.999 MB/sec
   32regs    :   436.626 MB/sec
using fastest function: p5_mmx (999.363 MB/sec)
scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total.
md.c: sizeof(mdp_super_t) = 4096
Partition check:
 hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 < hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8 >
 hdc: [PTBL] [1021/255/63] hdc1 hdc2 hdc3 hdc4 < hdc5 hdc6 hdc7 hdc8 >
 hdd: [PTBL] [524/32/63] hdd1 hdd2
autodetecting RAID arrays
(read) hda5's sb offset: 1951744 [events: 000000e8]
(read) hda6's sb offset: 1951744 [events: 000000e8]
(read) hda7's sb offset: 979840 [events: 000000e8]
(read) hda8's sb offset: 1919616 [events: 000000e8]
(read) hdc5's sb offset: 1951744 [events: 000000fb]
(read) hdc6's sb offset: 1951744 [events: 000000f9]
(read) hdc7's sb offset: 979840 [events: 000000f9]
(read) hdc8's sb offset: 1919616 [events: 000000f9]
autorun ...
considering hdc8 ...
  adding hdc8 ...
  adding hda8 ...
created md3
bind<hda8,1>
bind<hdc8,2>
running: <hdc8><hda8>
now!
hdc8's event counter: 000000f9
hda8's event counter: 000000e8
md: superblock update time inconsistency -- using the most recent one
freshest: hdc8
md: kicking non-fresh hda8 from array!
unbind<hda8,1>
export_rdev(hda8)
md3: max total readahead window set to 128k
md3: 1 data-disks, max readahead per data-disk: 128k
raid1: device hdc8 operational as mirror 1
raid1: md3, not all disks are operational -- trying to recover array
raid1: raid set md3 active with 1 out of 2 mirrors
md: updating md3 RAID superblock on device
hdc8 [events: 000000fa](write) hdc8's sb offset: 1919616
md: recovery thread got woken up ...
md3: no spare disk to reconstruct array! -- continuing in degraded mode
md: recovery thread finished ...
.
considering hdc7 ...
  adding hdc7 ...
  adding hda7 ...
created md2
bind<hda7,1>
bind<hdc7,2>
running: <hdc7><hda7>
now!
hdc7's event counter: 000000f9
hda7's event counter: 000000e8
md: superblock update time inconsistency -- using the most recent one
freshest: hdc7
md: kicking non-fresh hda7 from array!
unbind<hda7,1>
export_rdev(hda7)
md2: max total readahead window set to 128k
md2: 1 data-disks, max readahead per data-disk: 128k
raid1: device hdc7 operational as mirror 1
raid1: md2, not all disks are operational -- trying to recover array
raid1: raid set md2 active with 1 out of 2 mirrors
md: updating md2 RAID superblock on device
hdc7 [events: 000000fa](write) hdc7's sb offset: 979840
md: recovery thread got woken up ...
md2: no spare disk to reconstruct array! -- continuing in degraded mode
md3: no spare disk to reconstruct array! -- continuing in degraded mode
md: recovery thread finished ...
.
considering hdc6 ...
  adding hdc6 ...
  adding hda6 ...
created md1
bind<hda6,1>
bind<hdc6,2>
running: <hdc6><hda6>
now!
hdc6's event counter: 000000f9
hda6's event counter: 000000e8
md: superblock update time inconsistency -- using the most recent one
freshest: hdc6
md: kicking non-fresh hda6 from array!
unbind<hda6,1>
export_rdev(hda6)
md1: max total readahead window set to 128k
md1: 1 data-disks, max readahead per data-disk: 128k
raid1: device hdc6 operational as mirror 1
raid1: md1, not all disks are operational -- trying to recover array
raid1: raid set md1 active with 1 out of 2 mirrors
md: updating md1 RAID superblock on device
hdc6 [events: 000000fa](write) hdc6's sb offset: 1951744
md: recovery thread got woken up ...
md1: no spare disk to reconstruct array! -- continuing in degraded mode
md2: no spare disk to reconstruct array! -- continuing in degraded mode
md3: no spare disk to reconstruct array! -- continuing in degraded mode
md: recovery thread finished ...
.
considering hdc5 ...
  adding hdc5 ...
  adding hda5 ...
created md0
bind<hda5,1>
bind<hdc5,2>
running: <hdc5><hda5>
now!
hdc5's event counter: 000000fb
hda5's event counter: 000000e8
md: superblock update time inconsistency -- using the most recent one
freshest: hdc5
md: kicking non-fresh hda5 from array!
unbind<hda5,1>
export_rdev(hda5)
md0: max total readahead window set to 128k
md0: 1 data-disks, max readahead per data-disk: 128k
raid1: device hdc5 operational as mirror 1
raid1: md0, not all disks are operational -- trying to recover array
raid1: raid set md0 active with 1 out of 2 mirrors
md: updating md0 RAID superblock on device
hdc5 [events: 000000fc](write) hdc5's sb offset: 1951744
md: recovery thread got woken up ...
md0: no spare disk to reconstruct array! -- continuing in degraded mode
md1: no spare disk to reconstruct array! -- continuing in degraded mode
md2: no spare disk to reconstruct array! -- continuing in degraded mode
md3: no spare disk to reconstruct array! -- continuing in degraded mode
md: recovery thread finished ...
.
... autorun DONE.

==============%<

From: LLew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 15:41:48 +0200

thanks for your help, but it didn't work, the monitor still goes black
after a minute or two...

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 16 Aug 2000 13:48:20 GMT

Shawn E. Corkery <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: This is really wierd.  I'm logged on as root and I'm trying to modify
: the inetd.conf file.  When I try to save my changes I get the
: message "readonly option is set (use ! to override)", I use w! and I
: get the following message "Can't open file for writing".

Well, obviously that FS is mounted readonly. Hardly "weird".

: I did an ls -l on inetd.conf and instead of root.root as the owner it
: was root.mygroupname.  I have no idea how it got my group name on that
: file, but when I try chown root.root inetd.conf I get the
: following "operation not permitted".  If I try chgrp root inetd.conf I

Sounds like you're working on an fat FS there! But maybe just an
artifact of the RO FS.

How did you get /etc into a RO state? It's darn hard to make a RO root
FS work. For one thing you need permission to use /dev/console, and its
permission won't change on login if the FS is RO. So only logging in as
root could work (which is a no no).

It rather sounds like you've booted in run level S or 1 and haven't
remounted root RW.