Linux-Misc Digest #462, Volume #25               Wed, 16 Aug 00 11:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Display problems ("Chew GH")
  UVM virtual memory algorithm ("Justin Smith")
  Re: Can't modify inetd.conf file (Shawn E. Corkery)
  Re: blank screen on redhat 6.2 ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Can't modify inetd.conf file ("Peter T. Breuer")
  linux based routers? (Larry)
  streaming-video software? ("Marcel Post")
  Re: Can't modify inetd.conf file (Shawn E. Corkery)
  Re: vfat is not vfat but ext2 (Eric)
  Re: linkchecker (Hal Burgiss)
  view image: xv or what? (Lily Fu)
  Re: kernel 2.2.16-3 'make bzImage' compile error in /usr/include/bits/errno.h
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: linkchecker (Andre-John Mas)
  Re: File transfer from NT to Linux and save ownership (Andre-John Mas)
  Networking Problems ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: streaming-video software? (Joachim Feise)
  Re: Can't modify inetd.conf file ("Markus Grossmann")
  Re: view image: xv or what? (Johan Kullstam)
  Linux Network Administrator's Guide Version 1.1 ("Jan Albrecht")
  Re: linux based routers? (Stephen Hui)
  Help! reboot command doesn't work (David Coppit)
  Re: Help! reboot command doesn't work ("Markus Grossmann")
  Re: Linux users please read !!IMPORTANT!! (JCA)
  Re: trackers for linux, dosemu and dos trackers (Andre-John Mas)
  Re: hard drive sleep (Andre-John Mas)
  Restricitng executables through telnet? (Patrick M Geahan)

From: "Chew GH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Display problems
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 22:10:53 +0800

Recently, I encountered some harmless but irritating display problems in X
(3.3.6).

Some times, certain lines of text in xterms change to a color not their
expected color.  It may sometimes change to the background color, making the
text invisible, but would revert back to the correct color usually when
scrolled out of view and then back again (in man pages and 'less' displays).

Unexpected color changes can happen almost anywhere - scrollbar background
of emacs changing from green to pink; menu entries in the gnome start menu
changing to another color when highlighted, but becomes normal again when
pointer is shifted away and then brought back; etc... The random changes in
color can appear in any part of the application windows.

When moving a window, the screen refreshes seem to fail at one point in the
move as an image of the wireframe in stuck in the background.

The above-mentioned problems occur regardless of the window managers I use
(fvwm, twm or enlightenment in gnome).  The problem seem to have started
after I installed StarOffice 5.2.  I also noticed, after the initial login
at bootup, instead of the message "<user>, last logged in at <date, time>
from tty1", I've been getting "<user>, last logged in at <date,time> from
:0.0" if the user had last used X.  Otherwise I am utterly clueless about
what went wrong.  There was no problem in the display before I installed
SO5.2.  Could someone shed some light on this behaviour?

------------------------------

From: "Justin Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: UVM virtual memory algorithm
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 10:05:36 -0500

Will the Linux kernel ever use the UVM virtual memory algorithm that has speeded up
NetBSD?

------------------------------

From: Shawn E. Corkery <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't modify inetd.conf file
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 14:06:27 GMT

Nope, it's read-write.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: blank screen on redhat 6.2
Date: 16 Aug 2000 14:15:11 GMT

LLew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Michael wrote:
:> If you type in "setterm -blank 0" (without quotes) your monitor will
:> never go into power save mode and the screen will never go blank.
:>
:> LLew wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
:> >my redhat linux box switches the screen blank after every some minutes
:> >of keyboard/mouse- idle time.
:> >how can i reconfigure the time/switch that feature off, so that i can
:> >watch my
:> >messages-window whithout hitting a key from time to time?
:> >(the bios-energysave-modes are disabled and a gnome or kde screensaver
:> >is not set)
: thanks for your help, but it didn't work, the monitor still goes black
: after a minute or two...

If you're in X, you should "man xset". Look at xset -dpms, or xset -s 0,
or whatever it is.

Surely you need the bios to set user-control via dpms, or some such?

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 16 Aug 2000 14:24:21 GMT

:   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> Shawn E. Corkery <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
:> news:8ne3n5$kmg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
:> > This is really wierd.  I'm logged on as root and I'm trying to modify
:> > the inetd.conf file.  When I try to save my changes I get the
:> > message "readonly option is set (use ! to override)", I use w! and I
:> > get the following message "Can't open file for writing".

:> > Any suggestions would be appreciated.

:> is the partition mounted read only ?
:>

: Nope, it's read-write.

Prove it. Don't just say so. What makes you think it is? (and
reply BELOW the quote, for gawd's  sake! - reformatted).

It appears to be mounted readonly, according to the test. Try
echo ho > /hello ! And have a look at what tune2fs tells you.

From: Larry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux based routers?
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 09:11:10 -0500

Hi

I'm looking into setting up my old 486 with a linux based router (LRP or
freesco).
I had a really basic question.  I have cable modem service that does not
provide
a static ip.  After reading the manuals/documentation it seems like both
of
these solutions require me to have a static ip.  Is this correct?  If
so, are there
any solutions out there that don't require a static ip?

Larry

------------------------------

From: "Marcel Post" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: streaming-video software?
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 16:31:25 +0200

I'd like to set up a streaming-video server under linux,  preferably using
windows to send the stream via my home net to the linux machine running a
webserver. (or does linux already support my usb cam, a 'Creative Webcam Go'
?).

The idea is that if someone connects to my website, a live stream of video,
coming from my webcam is delivered to the client in realvideo format.

What free software is available for linux to do this?

Greetz,
Marcel

------------------------------

From: Shawn E. Corkery <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 14:33:40 GMT

Thanks for your response, however, I have verified that the FS is
mounted RW and I can modify other files in the /etc folder.

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: vfat is not vfat but ext2
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 16:39:28 +0200

No danger whatsoever, the partition ID has nothing to do with the actual
filesystem on the disc. (Although windows seems to think it does).
The situation you have now, you can change with (c)fdisk. All that will
change is that windows will no longer report a drive with a seriously
damaged filesystem on it (It is not damaged Bill! you just don't
recognize it!)
and requesting if should format that disc for you.
For linux it doesn't matter at all, so you can leave it as is if you
prefer that, but as I said, you can change it too, without any bad
side-effects.

Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Subject: Re: linkchecker
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 14:43:28 GMT

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000 08:42:20 GMT, Christoph Krempe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I'm looking for a free or commercial linkcheck running under Linux.
>Any suggestions?

To verify HTML links? I am using

 http://linkchecker.sourceforge.net/

If you check at freshmeat you probably will find many that have
differing objectives and features.

--
Hal B

From: Lily Fu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: view image: xv or what?
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 10:46:21 -0400

Hi,

I used to use xv to view image on Unix,
is there an utility to view image on Linux (redhat)?

thanks,

Lily

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: kernel 2.2.16-3 'make bzImage' compile error in /usr/include/bits/errno.h
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 14:35:36 GMT

> In file included from /usr/include/errno.h:36,
>                  from scripts/split-include.c:26:
> /usr/include/bits/errno.h:25: linux/errno.h: No such file or directory
> make: *** [scripts/split-include] Error 1

It is looking for bits/error.h in "/usr/include..." so try making a link
from any missing directories in /usr/include to your new kernel dir's
something like
        cd /usr/include
        ln -s /usr/src/linux/bits bits
I did similar with mine but I don't recognize the "bits" directiey.
Although, perhaps it's related to your "pcmcia".
(just keep running make bzImnage till you get them all)

Hoep this works for you.
Rick

If interested , there's a great _FREE_ PDF download on securing and
optimizing your redhat box that walks through similar install in the
kernel section. Although, the enite doc has a few bugs in it, it's
pretty kickin otherwise.
http://www.linuxdoc.org/links/p_books.html#securing_linux

From: Andre-John Mas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 14:39:46 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christoph Krempe) wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm looking for a free or commercial linkcheck running under Linux.
> Any suggestions?

You could always try writing a shell script. Your friends will be
'find' and 'test'. If you don't know them see the man pages.

Andre

--
http://www.bigfoot.com/~ajmas/

From: Andre-John Mas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: File transfer from NT to Linux and save ownership
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 14:35:42 GMT

In article <8ne2ki$jbd$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Ok, does anyone know how to transfer files from NT to Linux and keep
> ownership?  We have an internally public file system that we are
> changing from windows based to linux based using pam and samba.  When
> we copy files over, suddenly the copier becomes owner.  Scopy doesn't
> work.  Any suggestions?

I don't know what method you are using to copy, but if you are using
a mounted NT file system, then you should take a look at the cp man
page. I believe that there is a -p option that should do exactly what
you are wanting to do.

Andre

--
http://www.bigfoot.com/~ajmas/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Networking Problems
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 14:44:52 GMT

Hiya, I am trying to network an old P166 using Linux.

Linux version 2.2.13-12 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) (gcc driver
version
2.95.2 19991024 (release) executing gcc version 2.7.2.3) #1 Thu Dec
9
23:53:49 PST 1999

Hardware probe gives me:
PCI0:14:0      PCI    PCI device    3Com 3C900 10b Combo (rev0)./Eth

I have already contacted TurboLinux support and they were, frankly,
useless so am hoping that someone else may have some ideas.

I use 'insmod 3c59x' to install the driver and then 'ifconfig eth0
192.168.170.61 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.170.255' to set
up the network address.

If I start up ethereal I can see broadcasts on the network, however if
I try to ping another machine: 'ping 192.168.170.44'
I get:

'From 192.168.170.61: Destination Host Unreachable'
This repeats 20 or 30 times and then I get:
'64 byes from 192.168.170.44: icmp_seq=34 ttl=128 time=10601.3 ms.'
Which also repeats around 20 to 30 times with times ranging from 5706.7
to 24602.5.

Other machines can neither ping nor telnet to this machine, and I
cannot telnet out.

Does anyone have any ideas what may be causing this?

From: Joachim Feise <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: streaming-video software?
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 16:44:03 +0200

Marcel Post wrote:

> I'd like to set up a streaming-video server under linux,  preferably using
> windows to send the stream via my home net to the linux machine running a
> webserver. (or does linux already support my usb cam, a 'Creative Webcam Go'
> ?).
>
> The idea is that if someone connects to my website, a live stream of video,
> coming from my webcam is delivered to the client in realvideo format.
>
> What free software is available for linux to do this?

The basic Real server is free.
I use it to stream audio.

-Joe

------------------------------

From: "Markus Grossmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 16:52:59 +0200

"Shawn E. Corkery" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:8ne8o3$qnb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <8ne634$cp1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Shawn E. Corkery <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > : This is really wierd.  I'm logged on as root and I'm trying to
> modify
> > : the inetd.conf file.  When I try to save my changes I get the
> > : message "readonly option is set (use ! to override)", I use w! and I
> > : get the following message "Can't open file for writing".
> >
> > Well, obviously that FS is mounted readonly. Hardly "weird".
> >
> > : I did an ls -l on inetd.conf and instead of root.root as the owner
> it
> > : was root.mygroupname.  I have no idea how it got my group name on
> that
> > : file, but when I try chown root.root inetd.conf I get the
> > : following "operation not permitted".  If I try chgrp root
> inetd.conf I

Try a ls -ln /etc/inetd.conf to see, what uid and gid is set for that file.
(Should be 0 0)
Then have a look at /etc/passwd and /etc/group if everything is ok
with that. (Should be root:x:0 both times).
If not, tell us what you see.

--==Markus Grossmann==--

--
Wilhelm Kaechele GmbH, Jahnstr. 9, D-73235 Weilheim/Teck
fon: +49-7023-103-235, fax: -188 http://www.w-kaechele.de

------------------------------

Subject: Re: view image: xv or what?
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 16 Aug 2000 10:54:35 -0400

Lily Fu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I used to use xv to view image on Unix,
> is there an utility to view image on Linux (redhat)?

yes.  it's called xv.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: "Jan Albrecht" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux Network Administrator's Guide Version 1.1
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 16:53:25 +0200

Linux Network Administrator's Guide Version 1.1

Hi guys!

Like some of you know, the Network Administrator's Guide from Olaf Kirch and
Terry Dawson is the standard reference for Linux and networking. In March
they've released a new version (1.1). Well, you can read it through the
http-format, but this is not as comfortable as reading offline.
So I downloaded and formated it into the PDF and PostScript Format. Through
the license rights of the GNU GPL I can distribute it, and I do so.
If you want to download one of the files (PDF ~1.8 Megs // PostScript ~ 2.2
Megs), you can do this at
http://www.jan-albrecht.de/nag/index.html
There is no advertising (only a small one of my counter, but would you mind?
;-) )!
Have a lot of fun!

Greetings

Jan

www.jan-albrecht.de

------------------------------

From: Stephen Hui <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux based routers?
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 09:46:24 -0500

Larry wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm looking into setting up my old 486 with a linux based router (LRP or
> freesco).
> I had a really basic question.  I have cable modem service that does not
> provide
> a static ip.  After reading the manuals/documentation it seems like both
> of
> these solutions require me to have a static ip.  Is this correct?  If
> so, are there
> any solutions out there that don't require a static ip?
>
> Larry

I would suggest looking into IPMasquerade.  I tried using IPMasq on my
486 box at home, but I couldn't get the kernel to compile correctly, but
I haven't had a lot of time to tinker with it.  It's supposed to be
pretty straight forward.  Look at the How-To's (it could be a
mini-How-To) at http://www.linuxdoc.org/ for more info.

As for dynamic IP addresses, I wrote a short perl script that parses the
output from ifconfig to read the IP address and put it into /etc/hosts
along with a hostname and alias.  I run this script at boot time.  If
you would like the code, I'd be happy to pass it along (except I'd have
to get it from home).

Stephen.

--
Stephen Hui, ARL:UT, Austin, Texas

Computer Terms: Programmer - A red-eyed, mumbling mammal
capable of conversing with inanimate objects.

------------------------------

From: David Coppit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Help! reboot command doesn't work
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 10:48:59 -0400

I have a machine (RedHat 6.1) that I remotely administer. From time to time, I
need to reboot it. Unfortunately, the reboot command simply doesn't respond. I
get the broadcast message that the system is going down, but then the prompt
comes back up. There are no messages in /var/log/messages. (and I am root when
I do this.) Anyone have an idea why this doesn't work?

We got hacked a while back... If that gives any clues.

Thanks a lot,
David

------------------------------

From: "Markus Grossmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Help! reboot command doesn't work
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 16:58:48 +0200

"David Coppit" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> I have a machine (RedHat 6.1) that I remotely administer. From time to
time, I
> need to reboot it. Unfortunately, the reboot command simply doesn't
respond. I
> get the broadcast message that the system is going down, but then the
prompt
> comes back up. There are no messages in /var/log/messages. (and I am root
when
> I do this.) Anyone have an idea why this doesn't work?
>
> We got hacked a while back... If that gives any clues.
>
> Thanks a lot,
> David

Never tried, but might be

    nohup reboot &

a solution?

Markus Grossmann

From: JCA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.network,alt.linux,linux.rehat.install,comp.programming
Subject: Re: Linux users please read !!IMPORTANT!!
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 07:48:57 -0700

    Can you spell "moron"?

------------------------------

From: Andre-John Mas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: trackers for linux, dosemu and dos trackers
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 14:45:38 GMT

Visit www.freshmeat.net and do a search ( I used S3M
as the search key ). There is a program called
'Rapid Audio Tracker', described as 'A rapid audio
tracker similar to Fast Tracker, but in real time.'

Andre

--
http://www.bigfoot.com/~ajmas/

From: Andre-John Mas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hard drive sleep
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 14:50:58 GMT

I am not sure of any 'surefire way', but if you created a RAM
disk it may reduce the need for the computer to access the disk.
The problem is that whenever a program needs to load something
or the memory gets fairly full there will be a hard-disk access.

Andre

==================

> "A crush,for humans,is something like falling in love; however it
occurs
> only in very young members of the species and is looked upon with
great
> amusement by the older members."
>  - Spock to Lt.Saavik,Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan
> "I just want you to know - maybe we don't need to worry,but where I
was
> raised it's good manners to tell you - I passed all my exams in
biocontrol."
> - David (Capt. Kirk's son) to Lt.Saavik,just before having sex,Star
Trek III - The Search For Spock

--
http://www.bigfoot.com/~ajmas/

From: Patrick M Geahan<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Restricitng executables through telnet?
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 15:04:36 GMT

I have a couple of users that I want to have mail-only access to my RH6.x
box.  Basically, when they telnet(or ssh) in, I want to execute a specific
mail program, let them read and send, and when they exit, log back out.

If I have to pick a specific app, I'd choose pine, but I'd like to let
them choose their own.

I'm looking for advice as to the best way to accomplish this.  I know I
could stick a set of command in the .login to call pine and then logout,
but would this prevent them from dropping to a prompt?  I don't want them
to be able to cancel the script execution to get around what I'm doing.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

--

=======Patrick M [EMAIL PROTECTED]=======ICQ:3784715======
Quote of the Week: "I can't believe I barfed in Harrison Ford's