Linux-Misc Digest #465, Volume #25               Wed, 16 Aug 00 17:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  swapd crash - any leads appreciated (Alan Needleman)
  Re: root $PATH in SuSE6.3 (MKalinka)
  Re: What do you think of Storm 2000? (Phillip Deackes)
  Re: linux based routers? (MKalinka)
  New Palmtop running Linux! (Phillip Deackes)
  Re: Booting to /dev/sda2 (Paul Lew)
  infos about bonobo (root)
  Re: Rescue disk on RH 6.1 (fernando)
  Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: newsgroup reader??? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: view image: xv or what? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: newsgroup reader??? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Notebook/Windows rebate? ("josh")
  Re: UVM virtual memory algorithm (Pete Zaitcev)
  modules ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Case study: Porting DB2 to Linux (fyi) (Raymond Doetjes)
  Re: Mandrake-7.1 + Dual Celeron BP6 ? ("Ed  Cheng")
  Re: kernel 2.2.16-3 'make bzImage' compile error in  (Markus Kossmann)
  Re: Address Book or PIM for Linux? (Robert Surenko)
  Re: can I create root equivalent users? ("Michael")

From: Alan Needleman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.kernel,alt.os.linux
Subject: swapd crash - any leads appreciated
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 15:02:50 -0400

Sorry about the multiple postings if they are not appropriate, but I
have been having repeated crashes and my previous single post (probably
to the wrong group) did not get a response.

I have 256 Megs of RAM and a 384 Meg swap partition (hda10). I am the
only user on a RH 6.1 system with kernel 2.2.16-3. As best I can tell,
the swap file is rarely used but I get swapd crashes 1-3 times a week
with error messages like that below.

Any leads as to what is going on much appreciated.

Thanks.

Alan
----
Aug 16 04:02:17 onslow kernel: Unable to handle kernel paging request at
virtual address 00009300
Aug 16 04:02:17 onslow kernel: current->tss.cr3 = 09148000, %cr3 =
09148000
Aug 16 04:02:17 onslow kernel: *pde = 00000000
Aug 16 04:02:17 onslow kernel: Oops: 0000
Aug 16 04:02:17 onslow kernel: CPU:    0
Aug 16 04:02:17 onslow kernel: EIP:    0010:[find_buffer+100/140]
Aug 16 04:02:17 onslow kernel: EFLAGS: 00010206
Aug 16 04:02:17 onslow kernel: eax: 00009300   ebx: 00000006   ecx:
00012e25   edx: 00009300
Aug 16 04:02:17 onslow kernel: esi: 0000000c   edi: 00000347   ebp:
000caf01   esp: c9fb9dc0
Aug 16 04:02:17 onslow kernel: ds: 0018   es: 0018   ss: 0018
Aug 16 04:02:17 onslow kernel: Process slocate (pid: 6985, process nr:
38, stackpage=c9fb9000)
Aug 16 04:02:17 onslow kernel: Stack: cffc5000 00000347 00012e25
c0127ccf 00000347 000caf01 00000200 c0128033
Aug 16 04:02:17 onslow kernel:        00000347 000caf01 00000200
00000000 000032b8 cffc5000 000caf01 c9fb9e00
Aug 16 04:02:17 onslow kernel:        c01282e2 00000347 000caf01
00000200 000032b8 d08940b3 00000347 000caf01
Aug 16 04:02:17 onslow kernel: Call Trace: [get_hash_table+19/32]
[getblk+27/320] [bread+22/104] [vfat:vfat_lookup_R8b268e71+-42233/276]
[vfat:vfat_lookup_R8b268e71+-22139/276]
[vfat:vfat_lookup_R8b268e71+-21510/276]
[vfat:vfat_lookup_R8b268e71+-21025/276]
Aug 16 04:02:17 onslow kernel:
[vfat:vfat_lookup_R8b268e71+-25540/276]
[vfat:vfat_lookup_R8b268e71+-31575/276]
[vfat:vfat_lookup_R8b268e71+142/276] [d_alloc+24/336]
[real_lookup+79/156] [lookup_dentry+292/484] [__namei+38/88]
[sys_newlstat+13/96]
Aug 16 04:02:17 onslow kernel:        [system_call+52/56]
Aug 16 04:02:17 onslow kernel: Code: 8b 00 39 6a 04 75 15 8b 4c 24 20 39
4a 08 75 0c 66 39 7a 0c

------------------------------

From: MKalinka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: root $PATH in SuSE6.3
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 21:10:13 +0200

==============1B8514DDDC9E8C26DE707881

"Andrew N. McGuire" wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, MKalinka quoth:
>
> ~~ Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 23:35:59 +0200
> ~~ From: MKalinka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> ~~ Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
> ~~ Subject: root $PATH in SuSE6.3
> ~~
> ~~ Hello !
> ~~
> ~~ The variable PATH after root-login looks like
> ~~ /sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin//root/bin... (sic)
> ~~ i need direct access to /root/bin, so which script
> ~~ has forgotten to put the ":" the right place ?
> ~~
>
> That sounds like something simple enough to hunt down yourself.
> It is definitely easy enough to fix without even knowing where
> the error is coming from.  I suggest you look for this one on
> your own, you may learn something about the login process and
> your system in the mean-time.  Start with /etc/profile I would
> think, (Unless SuSE does something wildly different than the norm).

You're right. A little bit I've heard about the boot- and login-process,
this was the the reason, why I've been astonished not finding the
mistake. I haven't seen right in /etc/profile the
test "$UID" == 0 .../usr/local/bin/$PATH command.
Thanks for patience

Michael
==============1B8514DDDC9E8C26DE707881

begin:vcard
n:Kalinka;Michael
tel;home:0431/728426
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://home.t-online.de/home/MKalinka
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Michael Kalinka
end:vcard

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Phillip Deackes)
Subject: Re: What do you think of Storm 2000?
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 18:56:42 GMT

In article <hEAm5.3948$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Database wrote:
>What do you think of Storm 2000?

Have a look at a recently published review:

http://rootprompt.org/article.php3?article=797

--
Phillip Deackes
Using Storm Linux 2000

------------------------------

From: MKalinka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux based routers?
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 21:27:08 +0200

==============942F00918AC92FA6B70DC1E1

Stephen Hui wrote:
> I would suggest looking into IPMasquerade.  I tried using IPMasq on my
> 486 box at home, but I couldn't get the kernel to compile correctly, but
> I haven't had a lot of time to tinker with it.  It's supposed to be
> pretty straight forward.  Look at the How-To's (it could be a
> mini-How-To) at http://www.linuxdoc.org/ for more info.
>
> As for dynamic IP addresses, I wrote a short perl script that parses the
> output from ifconfig to read the IP address and put it into /etc/hosts
> along with a hostname and alias.  I run this script at boot time.

another idea is to edit /etc/ppp/ip_up and ip_down. There you have
direct access to the dynamic ip ($LOCALIP) and can reedit the hosts.
The advantage is: you don't have to have permanent connection.

Michael

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Phillip Deackes)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: New Palmtop running Linux!
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 19:24:22 GMT

Have any of you heard about a palm top computer from Agenda Computing
which runs Linux? I read about it on 'The Register' this morning and
there is a lot of info on the Agenda web site.

I currently use a Palm IIIx but it wouldn't take much for me to jump
ship and try one of these beauties!!

They run on a 66MHz 32 Bit NEC VR4181 MIPS processor and apparently a
Linux app compiled for MIPS (?) should run on it.

http://www.agendacomputing.com

Opinions anyone?

--
Phillip Deackes
Using Storm Linux 2000

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Lew)
Subject: Re: Booting to /dev/sda2
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 19:50:11 GMT

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000 18:25:25 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I thought about doing that, but then would I be able to boot off
>/dev/hda?  /dev/hda is where bootpart is loaded and controls the booting
>of WinNT and Win98...  I can try it anyway and see what happens...

If you have bootpart installed, then you should let it do the loading of
linux on the /dev/sda?  You just need to go into nt and use bootpart to
add linux as the os to boot and what partition on what drive as per the
docs.  When the nt loader loads, it would list the nt, ntvga, win9x and
linux and wait for you to select.  You can even have linux set as the
default os in the nt system settings.

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: infos about bonobo
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 15:48:23 -0400

Hi there,

I need some informations about Bonobo, I hope that someone will be able
to help me !
    - Does Bonobo support automation, and if so does it use the same
mechanism that OLE (IDispatch, and dispinterfaces) ?
    - Does it support in-place activation ?
    - I have heard about Bonobo control. Is it the same as activeX
control ? And is it already implemented ?
    - And finally, is it possible to link documents using Bonobo (vs
embedding).

Thanks a lot !
Tanguy

------------------------------

From: fernando <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Rescue disk on RH 6.1
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 15:12:15 -0600

It worked just fine.

--
=========
Real e-mail: sanabriaf at yahoo dot com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship.
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 19:09:14 +0100

blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> They could use the money on DSL,

That's a laugh...

> or other broadband. You got to pay for

That's a laugh as well...

DSL, in the UK.... Maybe at the turn of the next ice age.

> I'm sure your telco will go bankrupt without YOURS business. ;-)

I'm sure they will.

> No. I don't need any prasing programme, or any diagram to tell me who I
> am. You can take all your theories and stick them up your butt. Because I
> am real, not some kind of diagram, program, or theory.

And again you show a distinct inability to follow an argument.
You claimed not to be a humanoid, which by definition means you can't be
human... That's what the set theory stuff was about...

--
|                          |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|
|  [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: newsgroup reader???
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 20:36:46 +0100

Patrick M Geahan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> Davis Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hi, there,

>> Just a simple question. What is the newsgroup reader program in Linux,
>> say RH6.2? And how about in Sun OS?

> IIRC, tin and slrn ship with RH6.2.  I've used tin and know people who
> have used slrn on SunOS/Solaris.

> As another tack, I believe Netscape ships with a newsreader as well.

Don't encourage that kind of behaviour...
:)
Nutscrape news is a very substandard one.

|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   | "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste!         |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)|  I can SMELL!!!  KRYTEN!!! Unpack Rachel and    |
|            in            |  get out the puncture repair kit!"              |
|     Computer Science     |     Arnold Judas Rimmer- Red Dwarf              |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: view image: xv or what?
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 20:53:28 +0100

Lily Fu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> Hi,

> I used to use xv to view image on Unix,
> is there an utility to view image on Linux (redhat)?

xv should be included in most distros...
There're others though, some better (xv can't handle some file formats)

|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a    |
|                          | graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| operating system originally  coded for a 4 bit |
|            in            |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that|
|     Computer Science     |        can't stand 1 bit of competition.       |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 20:35:37 +0100

Davis Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> Hi, there,

> Just a simple question. What is the newsgroup reader program in Linux,
> say RH6.2? And how about in Sun OS?

Personally, I use tin.
There are dozens of others to choose from though.

From: "josh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: Notebook/Windows rebate?
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 17:10:50 -0300

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Zaitcev)
Subject: Re: UVM virtual memory algorithm
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 20:21:24 GMT

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000 10:05:36 -0500, Justin Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Will the Linux kernel ever use the UVM virtual memory algorithm that
> has speeded up NetBSD?

AFAIK, UVM was a big step in the way Chuck Cranor disposed of
multi-layer object heirarchies, which do not exist in Linux
anyways. But I am incompetent, so dig out Chuck's USENIX-99
presentation. That should explain how he extracts any performance
advantages.

Rik van Riel is working on a Linux VM rewrite which looks
interesting to me. I do not know of any whitepapers coming
from his direction, so you need to dig linux-kernel archives.
His patch may have a UVM-like effect on the performance.

--Pete

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: modules
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 20:32:25 GMT

i did a full system restore of my redhat 6.1 box.  the restore was done
from tape and the program i used for the backup is called "taper".
everything went ok except for the modules. they were all gone.  is
there a way you can backup modules, or is there an easy way to restore
modules after you do a full restore from tape.....

From: Raymond Doetjes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Case study: Porting DB2 to Linux (fyi)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 23:01:04 +0200

I have the DB2 server trial version for about a year now.

What is so special about this then? (no offence!)
I like DB2 also gr8 DB server!

Raymond

------------------------------

From: "Ed  Cheng" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mandrake-7.1 + Dual Celeron BP6 ?
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 20:41:39 GMT

For complete solution of your problem, please read the article at:
http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/hardware/ramdetect.html

Ed

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Markus Kossmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kernel 2.2.16-3 'make bzImage' compile error in
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 18:45:51 +0200

Joe Mazz wrote:
[...]
> I suspect that another critical softlink is missing that got zapped
> during the process.
Check the links /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm . They should
point to the corresponding directories in the kernel includes ( under
/usr/src/linux/include)

--
Markus Kossmann

From: Robert Surenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Address Book or PIM for Linux?
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 20:57:43 GMT

J Garcia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am looking for an address book/PIM program for Linux
> which would run in character mode (console app just
> like the minicom program) with ability to export info
> to text files. I am not interested in GNOME bloatware
> apps btw. Anybody want to recommend their favorite
> app? Thanks for replying.

What's wrong with grep? :-)

> http://invites.yahoo.com/

- Bob Surenko                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
- http://www.fred.net/surenko/

From: "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: can I create root equivalent users?
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 16:43:33 -0400

On the same/similar topic...How about renaming the root account to
another name..still only having one "root" account.  Is this possible,
or not?

Michael