From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Crossposted-To: comp.mail.misc
Subject: Re: Linux boxes in an Exchange network: help
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 02:09:54 GMT

On 17 Aug 2000 07:26:54 GMT, Hubert Figuiere <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Adam Finkelstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote :
>
>>I need to set up several Linux boxes on a network served by MS
>>Exchange. Currently the Exchange server does not have either
>>pop or imap on. Is there anyway to send and receive mail with
>>Linux using mapi?
>
>Definitely NO.

I'm afraid M. Figuiere is correct.  There are no MAPI clients
for Linux.

>>Obviously, if I can get the powers-at-be to turn on imap, I'll
>>be okay, but if I cannot, has anyone any suggestions? The boxes
>>are behind a NAT-ed firewall on a complete Microsoft network
>>using Exchange and Outlook.
>
>If you can get POP/IMAP and SMTP, you'll be fine. Beware that
>they should allow "plain text" authentication.

There are IMAP clients (mutt, fetchmail) that can do NTLM
authentication (the encrypted challenge/response system used by
MS), so if plaintext authentication is a problem for the
powers-that-be, you can give on that point.  Don't admit you
can handle NTLM at first.  They'll probably come up with
"security" issues as the excuse to not enable IMAP.

Also, check to see if there's an SMTP server enabled somewhere.
There's got to be an MS box _somewhere_ with SMTP enabled, or
they wouldn't be able to get mail from outside. If you can use
SMTP to send mail, then you're half way there. The SMTP server
on MS Exchange might require authentication, but it's just
plaintext username/password in base64.  I've got a patched copy
of ssmtp that will work.  If you need it let me know.

I've also written a Python program that fetches mail via MAPI
and forwards it to an SMTP server.  Unfortunately, you need a
dedicated Win32 box for each user who's mail needs to be
forwarded. Windows (even NT) is most definitely _not_ a
multi-user system -- despite delusions to the contrary in
Redmond.  You can't have multiple instances of the program
fetching mail for multiple users, since you can only fetch mail
for the currently "logged in" user, and there's only one user
logged in at a time under Windows.  What a lame POS.

If you want a copy of my mapi fetcher program it's at

   ftp://ftp.visi.com/users/grante/stuff/mfetch.py

with a sample command line in

   ftp://ftp.visi.com/users/grante/stuff/mfetch.bat

There's some hard-wired logic that converts our internal
Exchange-style addresses to Internet style, so you'll have to
change that part.  I haven't yet figured out a good, general,
configurable address translation scheme.

It should be fairly easy to write gateway program that goes in
the other direction (SMTP->IMAP), but my MS-Exchange server has
SMTP enabled, so I didn't have to.  ;)

Good luck.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I didn't order
                                  at               any WOO-WOO... Maybe a

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Booting from a different kernel image
Date: 18 Aug 2000 02:27:14 GMT

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000 21:58:56 -0400, jinp wrote:
>I have a question on this one, I built a new kernel(on RedHat 6.0) and
>did all the lilo and link the System.map to the new file, and new kernel
>booted ok, but the old one found a wrong System.map file.  What should
>I do?

"Don't worry about it" is my advice.  System.map is used mainly to aid
in debugging kernel problems.  There's one user-space program that I
know of (lsof) that uses System.map to do its thing, but in the main,
System.map isn't used.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Those who do not understand Unix are
http://www.brainbench.com     /   condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
=============================/           ==Henry Spencer

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: LILO error while loading DOS
Date: 18 Aug 2000 02:32:36 GMT

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000 01:29:42 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Few months back, I've installed LINUX and Windows 98 with LILO on my PC
>and everything was running fine without any problems until recently.
>Now, when I try to run Windows 98 from LILO, I get an error message.
>Actually, here is what I see:
>LILO boot: dos
>Type the name of the Command Interpreter (e.g., C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)
>C:>
>And it just waits there.  Did anyone see this problem or has any idea
>what this is about ?  I do not have any problems with loading the LINUX
>though. It's only with DOS.  I really appreciate your help. (I've lots
>of useful information on the dos partition and would like to recover it
>without any data loss).

Sounds like WinDOS has hosed itself.  I'd guess you can try booting from
a bootable DOS disk that has COMMAND.COM and SYS.COM on it, then COPY
COMMAND.COM C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ and SYS C: ....  you may wish to ask
this question on a WinDOS newsgroup, though.

BTW, Linux can read and write DOS partitions and has been able to for a
long time now.  You can access your DOS partition from Linux and copy
your files to a safe place if you end up having to reinstall WinDOS.
See this group's FAQ or your Fine Manual for how to do this.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Ox10 error
Date: 18 Aug 2000 02:38:43 GMT

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000 18:54:06 -0500, Leonard Evens wrote:
>A computer running VALinux 6.0 (which is essentially RedHat 6.0)
>encountered problems with its root partition.  It hung and upon
>rebooting, it required manual fixing of the file system for /dev/hada2.
>But even after fixing it did not function properly with read errors
>reported to the console.   After trying a variety of measures, we
>reinstalled the OS from the VALinux CD.  That appeared to go
>successfully, but afterwards the machine would not boot from the hard
>disk, reporting an error 0X10 after lilo claimed it was booting Linux.
>Apparently the machine can be booted from the boot floppy made during
>installation, but we have not tried to see if everything worked
>properly.   We did try reinstalling lilo without effect.  I'm sure I've
>seen a description of exactly this problem, but I can't recall what the
>resolution was.  Presumably it is a problem with the hard disk, but I
>would still like to know more if possible.

Yep, LILO's documentation says that error 0x10 means "CRC error -- a
media error has been detected."  This is a bad sign, and often means
that the disk is going south.  The fact that you can boot from the
floppy and not the drive is telling here.

If you're not quite convinced, boot from Tom's Rootboot or a similar
rescue system, and try doing this:
  dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/null bs=4096
If the command aborts at any time, you've most likely got a partially
br0ken hard disk.  You can *try* and recover by doing "mke2fs -c" or
badblocks on all the partitions and reinstalling.... sorry this had to
happen to you.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stewart Honsberger)
Subject: VMWare's 'vmnet' module won't unload, how to unload or determine what's using
it?
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 02:40:40 GMT

[Note: Followup set to the group I read most frequently]

As the subject indicates, I'm having trouble unloading a module that
just won't go away. I've got VMWare installed (version 2.0.2 currently),
and since upgrading to the latest set of Linux 2.4-test* kernels, I can
no longer unload the vmnet module, thus I can not upgrade versions of
VMWare or re-configure VMWare without removing the VMWare start entries
from /sbin/init.d/rc2.d and re-booting. I just hate re-booting Linux,
especially when my uptime starts to climb again (damned power failures),
so I'd like to find a solution to remove this module from the running
kernel.

When I attempt to run vmware-config.pl, it first calls '/sbin/init.d/vmware
stop' which returns this output;

blackdeath:~ # /sbin/init.d/vmware stop
Stopping VMware services:
   Virtual machine monitor                                            done
   Bridged networking on /dev/vmnet0                                  done
   DHCP server on /dev/vmnet1                                         done
   Host-only networking on /dev/vmnet1                                done
   Virtual ethernet                                                   failed

I assume it's related to this problem;

blackdeath:~ # rmmod vmnet
vmnet: Device or resource busy

For the life of me, I have no idea what could be using this module. I've
tried shutting down any daemons or applications that could have anything
to do with VMWare, but to no avail.

What tool(s) are available to determine what's using a particular module,
and is there any way to force the removal of a module?

Thanks in advance!

--
Stewart Honsberger (AKA Blackdeath) @ http://tinys.cx/blackdeath
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  (Remove 'thirteen' to reply privately)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Crossposted-To: comp.security.ssh,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: open SSH 2.1.1 cannot connect with PAM authentication (redhat)
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 02:43:43 GMT

On 17 Aug 2000 18:54:56 +0300, Jari Aalto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck) writes:

>| I had this happen just recently after a system upgrade.  The cause was
>| that I did not have a /etc/pam.d/sshd file with the PAM parameters for
>| OpenSSH.
>
>Can you show what should be there? Thanks.

Paths are for Caldera eDesktop 2.4:

#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow nodelay
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
account    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
password   required     /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so
password   required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow nullok use_authtok
session    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
session    required     /lib/security/pam_limits.so

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Changing Linux drive from slave to master
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 21:52:54 -0500

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, mike quoth:

~~ Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 15:38:25 -0400
~~ From: mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
~~ Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
~~ Subject: Changing Linux drive from slave to master
~~
~~ Hi,
~~     I presently need to install Linux on my slave drive and will
~~ probably use Lilo on my MBR. Some time later, I want to
~~ Use that drive, as master or as the sole drive on the system.
~~ The drive will have Win95 on it also. How can I make the change
~~ and still have Lilo boot the system from the MBR?

You know, about 9 months ago, when I was working for an ISP,
I had to do that, and for the life of me, all I can remember
is I was thankful I had a boot disk.

anm
~ Andrew N. McGuire                                                      ~
~ [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                              ~
~ "Plan to throw one away; you will, anyhow." - Frederick P. Brooks, Jr. ~

From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: STTY and ERASE
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 22:00:17 -0500

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, NF Stevens quoth:

~~ Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 22:33:08 GMT
~~ From: NF Stevens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
~~ Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
~~
~~ Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
~~
~~ >[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
~~ >

[ snip ]

~~ >
~~ >as for X, rxvt can be configured at compile time.  i have this in my
~~ >.xdefaults, but i try to use ^? everywhere (since emacs uses ^H as the
~~ >help function).
~~
~~ Then emacs is broken. ^H is in the ascii character set as backspace.
~~ If a piece of software cannot even adhere to the most basic standards
~~ then it should fixed.

I am curious, which standard would that be?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Loading Windows
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 03:04:02 GMT

Hello,

If you just want to try out Linux commands and utilities as a user and
possibly create a few user groups and accounts, I suggest you download
zipslack.zip  ( a single file, about 36 Megs, expands to under 100 ).

No repartitioning is required.

Unzip the file into a FAT (DOS or Windows) directory, edit the
linux.bat file as explained in the readme file ( to tell Linux which
drive to boot from), and start it from DOS with the command Linux.

When you quit Linux (with Ctrl-Alt-Del) you're back in DOS ( or
Windows ).

Voilà ...

Robaire

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ronald J Roy)
Subject: Re: dosemu
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 03:13:44 GMT

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000 13:48:13 -0400, mst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Ronald J Roy wrote:
>>
>> I have dosemu working, but how do you add programs? I installed from source
>> and used the freedos image off the redhat6.1 cdrom.
>
>Read the docs. Or use the floppy.
>
>MST
Thanks. I found it not under dosemu/docs, but in dosemu/src/doc/readme/dexe!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: CD-RW multisession help
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 03:10:56 GMT

 I bought a HP 9110i CD-RW and successfully installed in
RedHat 6.2. I am successfully able to write and erase the
data in a re-writeable CD. But I am unable to successfully use
the multi session option. Any help on this will be highly
appreciated.

Here are the details....

I used the command to create RockRidge-extension file:

/opt/schily/bin/mkisofs -R -o testcd database

The version of mkisofs used is: mkisofs 1.13 (i586-pc-linux-gnu)

The command I used to write to the CD burner is:

/opt/schily/bin/cdrecord dev=1,0 speed=4 -multi testcd

The output I received is:
Cdrecord 1.9 (i586-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling
scsidev: '1,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 1 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 2.1.36
Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : 'HP      '
Identifikation : 'CD-Writer+ 9100 '
Revision       : '1.0c'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO
/opt/schily/bin/cdrecord: Drive needs to reload the media to return to
proper status.
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 4 in write mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write in 1 seconds.
[root@gnwdev sbehera]# /opt/schily/bin/cdrecord dev=1,0 speed=4 -multi
testcd1
Cdrecord 1.9 (i586-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling
scsidev: '1,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 1 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 2.1.36
Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : 'HP      '
Identifikation : 'CD-Writer+ 9100 '
Revision       : '1.0c'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 4 in write mode for multi session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write in 1 seconds.
/opt/schily/bin/cdrecord: Input/output error. mode select g1: scsi
sendcmd: retryable error
CDB:  55 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 3C 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 12 00 00 00 00 26 00 00 8B
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x26 Qual 0x00 (invalid field in parameter list) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid) error refers to data part, bit ptr 3
(valid) field ptr 0
cmd finished after 0.005s timeout 40s
/opt/schily/bin/cdrecord: Warning: using default CD write parameter
data.
Mode Select Data 00 21 00 00 05 32 01 C4 08 00 00 00 20 00 00 00 00 00
00 96 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
/opt/schily/bin/cdrecord: Cannot open new session.

Thanks in advance.

-siddharth behera
http://www.globalnetwatch.com

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 22:28:00 -0500
From: Tom Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Reading IP header

Amit Utreja wrote:
> I am writing a program that can read IP header of each Network packet
> received by ethernet card. It seems that the struct sk_buff (defines in
> skbuff.h)  points to the packet in the form of a Circular Linked List.
> How can I link the struck sk_buff  which is defined in  my program to
> the actual packet in the kernel. How can I reach the first packet in the
> buffer uisng sk_buff struct through my program

In short: you can't. Those are kernel structures and your user program
cannot access them.

        struct sk_buff contains _ONE_ packet; note the data will
        reside elsewhere, only pointers to it are in sk_buff. The
        kernel links the sk_buff-s for a given device in a linked
        list (I think it is a linear FIFO, not circular).

There are several ways to proceed:
 1) instead of a user program write a kernel module. but you will still
    have difficulty "grabbing" those packet sk_buff's because they
    pass through rapidly and are only transient.
 2) use an ethernet tap0-tap15 device. But I don't know how.
 3) ipchains has a method for passing packets through a user program,
    but I don't know how.
 4) use tcpdump. despite its name it can dump all IP packets. Use
    the option "-w -" and it will write all packets to stdout; pipe
    that into your program and have it read stdin.

4 is obviously the easiest way to get access to those packets, if all
you want to do is monitor them.

Tom Roberts     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Peter Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Lilo and Floppy
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 20:10:49 -0700

Can you set LILO to boot from a floppy without knowing
whether the floppy will be DOS or Linux?

Peter

* Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web
Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.  Smart is Beautiful

------------------------------

From: the gongura thing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: postgresql
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 11:29:16 +0800

Greetings,
I run Linux-Mandrake 6.1 on a Celeron 400. I have had a horrendous time
with netscape Communicator 4.61 and recently managed to get the standalone
browser (Navigator) 4.74. Installation was a breeze with no problems. The
directory i installed into was /usr/local/netscape/ .  The old browser was
installed in /usr/bin/ with the library files in /usr/lib/ . Should i have
installed into the old directory?
Anyway when i tried firing up the new browser by clicking on the
exucutable in the /usr/local/netscape/ directory it gives me the following
error:
netscape: program is version 4.74 but resources are version 4.61

        This means that there is an inappropriate 'Netscape' file
        installd in the app-defaults directory. Check thses environment variables
        and the directories to which they point:

                $XAPPLRESDIR
                $XFILESSEARCHPATH
                $XUSERFILESEARCHPATH
Also check for this file in your home directory, or in the directory
called 'app-defaults' somewhere under/usr/lib/.

I've looked for this 'app-defaults' directory but cant seem to find it
anywhere. Does anyone know of any solutoins to this?

regards,
Gongura.

------------------------------

From: "B. Joshua Rosen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: Notebook/Windows rebate?
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 00:08:00 -0400

Every time I've priced machines from Dell, I have 3, the Linux offerings
were always much more expensive than the equivalent Windows machines,
but it's true they were not exactly the same. Dell only offers Linux on
server class machines which use SCSI rather than IDE drives, which
drives up the price of the machine by a thousand bucks. In workstation
applications SCSI offers no performance advantages, SCSI is only helpful
in file server applications. The Dell desktops are completely Linux
compatible (unless you select the Winmodem option instead of the real
modem) but they are not offered with Linux.