From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ken Pizzini)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.questions
Subject: Re: 1) Fvwmrc and 2) mv command
Date: 18 Aug 2000 08:08:01 GMT

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000 23:21:12 -0500,
Andrew N. McGuire  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> perl -we 'for (<*.bak>) { $f = $_; s/.bak$//; rename $f, $_ }'

And if you have a need to do this kind of thing very often, it
is worth installing the "rename" perl script somewhere in your
$PATH, so that you can simply:
  rename 's/\.bak$//' *.bak

                --Ken Pizzini

Subject: Re: UDMA IDE Drive stops network transfers
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 08:42:53 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Steuber) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik) writes:
>
>' >My first thought was that the interrupt for the IDE drive was taking
>' >up all the CPU time so that the NIC couldn't be serviced.  But a
>'
>' You're probably right :) Try "hdparm -u1 /dev/hd<device letter>". This

>Man hdparm has dire warnings about this one.  But I sure could use the
>speed.  The machine I am setting up as a server uses the Abit VH6
>board with Via chipset.  Will this be safe?  Another machine that

I think so, yes. There's only one way to really find out... hehe. Anyway,
this is relatively new hardware which should support this option.

--
Kenneth Rørvik          91841353/22718452
Steenstrupsgate 5 B     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Martin Beier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RAID-1 help
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 10:53:08 +0200

Hi folks!

I have trouble configuring a RAID-1 device. I'm using SuSE Linux 6.3

Linux LIHB-198 2.2.13 #1 Mon Nov 8 15:51:29 CET 1999 i586 unknown

My /etc/raidtab looks as follows:

  raiddev /dev/md0
          raid-level      1
          nr-raid-disks   2
          nr-spare-disks  0
          chunk-size     4
          persistent-superblock 1
          device          /dev/hda3
          raid-disk       0
          device          /dev/hdc1
          raid-disk       1

The partition tables of hda and hdc looks like this:

Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1             1       131     65992+  83  Linux
/dev/hda2   *       132       197     33264   83  Linux
/dev/hda3           198       604    205128   83  Linux
/dev/hda4           605      2484    947520   83  Linux

Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdc1             1       407    205096+  83  Linux

If I issue a mkraid, the following happens:

LIHB-198:~ # mkraid /dev/md0
handling MD device /dev/md0
analyzing super-block
disk 0: /dev/hda3, 205128kB, raid superblock at 205056kB
disk 1: /dev/hdc1, 205096kB, raid superblock at 204992kB
mkraid: aborted, see the syslog and /proc/mdstat for potential clues.

The /var/log/messages and /var/log/warn files do not contain
any messages related to the mkraid command, and cat /proc/mdstat
does not help me:

LIHB-198:~ # cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [1 linear] [2 raid0] [3 raid1] [4 raid5]
read_ahead not set
md0 : inactive
md1 : inactive
md2 : inactive
md3 : inactive

Can anybody help me with this problem? I read the HOWTO and it
doesn't help me. I don't know where to find additional documentation.

Best regards, maddel!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: kill -9 won't work!
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 08:54:26 GMT

Hi there,

I have a process running on one of my servers that has obviously gone
mad, so I wanted to kill it. But even kill -9 doesn't make it go away
and it continues eating cpu time. Is there an alternative (low level)
way of killing processes or do I have to reboot the server?

Thanks in advance for helping.

Christian

From: "Hello World" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: mysql: unable to save result set in ........
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 17:25:19 +0800

i got this error in php but the query is executed successfully. does anyone
has any idea?

gcc: pgcc-2.95.2
apache 1.3.12
mysql 3.22.32
php 4.01pl2

------------------------------

From: Joachim Feise <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: streaming-video software?
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 11:34:41 +0200

Marcel Post wrote:

> > > Do you feed it with audio from your linux, or via a connected machine
> inside
> > > your own network?
>

> > The RealProducer takes the sound off the soundcard, and provides it at a
> TCP port.
> > The RealServer takes it from there to give it to the world.
>
> Aha...  Now it's becoming clearer. I never knew the priciple of the exact
> streaming method.
> Is this done with the UDP protocol?

AFAIK, this is done with TCP, to guarantee delivery.

> about the Real-software:
>
> > And the free tools are hard to find on their site,
> > anyway.
>
> Yup, I don't see it there anymore. I luckily have a copy of the G2-server
> version ;-)

You have to do a search for them.
RealServer Basic (free):
http://proforma.real.com/rn/servers/univdwnld/index.html?src=000814realhome,prdcrpl_072500,srvrmn_072000,srvrbsc_070500&ulf=bas

RealProducer Basic (free):
http://proforma.real.com/rn/tools/producer/index.html?src=prdcr_062300

-Joe

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Adam Finkelstein)
Crossposted-To: comp.mail.misc
Subject: Re: Linux boxes in an Exchange network: help
Date: 18 Aug 2000 06:02:21 -0400

David Rysdam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>HOWEVER, there may be a solution, depending on your problem.  OpenOne
>(www.openone.com) makes a product called MailOne.  MailOne runs on
>Tru64, AIX and Linux (as of version 3.1 released mid-July).  MailOne
>supports several protocols and can serve mail to MAPI clients.
>
>So you could replace your Exchange server with a MailOne server.  Then
>your MAPI clients connect via MAPI and your Linux clients connect via
>POP3 or whatever.

The powers-at-be would have a fit if I suggested the above. :) I'd most
certainly replace the Excahnge server or at least turn on SMTP and or IMAP
if I could.

>However, note that MailOne doesn't (yet) support the
>contacts/calendaring/scheduling functions of Outlook.

Sounds like they will do well if they do. I'm AMAZED at how havily my
company uses the "contacts/calendaring/scheduling functions of Outlook". I
am used to ical and a posty note or too which have always served my well.

>Another solution would be to setup a separate mail server for the
>Linux machines and get your Exchange admin to accept mail from it.

They won't go for this. ALL mail must go through one server. "Policy". I
can't blame them--it works and they make money. Thanks for the
information.

Sincerely,
Adam
--
Adam Finkelstein
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: FyreFiend <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Restricitng executables through telnet?
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 04:03:02 -0400

I found a little perl script that I hacked to offer a games account
for my friends and family. I made it the shell for the games account.
As far as I've been able to tell you can't get a real shell from it.
If you e-mail me (fixing the address of course) I'll send it off to
you.

-Lloyd

------------------------------

From: Peter Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.mail.misc
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 12:14:01 +0200

On 18 Aug 2000 06:02:21 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Adam
Finkelstein) wrote:

>>Another solution would be to setup a separate mail server for the
>>Linux machines and get your Exchange admin to accept mail from it.
>
>They won't go for this. ALL mail must go through one server. "Policy". I
>can't blame them--it works and they make money. Thanks for the
>information.

No problem. Install pop3 and imap on the linux server and stay away
from exchange. Connecting it directly to Internet is bad anyway.
Exchange does no check on recipient before it accepts the e-mail. So
it is very easy to crash a server with only non-existing recipients.

And if you follow MS's advise to have separate incoming and outgoing
servers you will have both of them crashed.

--
Peter Peters
senior netwerkbeheerder,  Centrum voor Informatievoorziening,

From: Linux-Addict <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Modem Troubles
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 10:07:55 GMT