Linux-Misc Digest #514, Volume #25               Mon, 21 Aug 00 12:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Some weird xterm behaviour! (Thomas Dickey)
  Re: Can anyone tell me how to get Linux to recognize my PCMCIA modem? (Dances With
Crows)
  Re: marking 'bad' sectors? (-ljl-)
  Re: Newbie : which Linux distribution? ("Luc Van Bogaert")
  Re: view image: xv or what? (Matthew Lybanon)
  Re: IBM's JDK 1.3 for linux/Windows (Oliver Sinnen)
  Re: IPGateway with Caldera Open Linux 2.2 (Simon)
  Re: Best Linux Distribution ("Luc Van Bogaert")
  Re: Reality Check - NY Times Article (Grant Edwards)
  Re: marking 'bad' sectors? (-ljl-)
  pbs compiling apache 1.3.12 (under Redhat 6.2) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Best Linux Distribution ("Luc Van Bogaert")
  Re: why suid'ed shutdown refuses to run? (Dances With Crows)
  /net directory (Eugene Y Lee)
  Re: Lost Hard Drive Space (Jeff)
  Re: Is Mandrake Really Red Hat... (Kenneth Rørvik)
  Installing linux on an eide drive (udma66) (Larry Condon)
  Re: Console based windowing system or split tty (Andreas Kahari)
  Other UNIX OS filesystems under linux? (William Baird)
  Auto-start CD for Linux ("M. Hockings")
  RAS server on Linux ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Problem with my firewall while backup my Web server (Dany Drapeau)

From: Thomas Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Some weird xterm behaviour!
Date: 21 Aug 2000 14:58:59 GMT

Andrew N. McGuire  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> No kidding, still, catting a binary on a remote machine should not
> make your localhost print!  Or do you disagree?  You don't think it
> would be a little bit evil, albeit funny, if while you left yourself
> logged into a remote host, the sysadmin of that machine (or anyone
> with access to your tty) started wasting trees in your office? To
> me that is a bug, not a feature.

you are missing the point: the holes that you're "seeing" are only
there for people who have permissions that aren't present on a normally
configured system.

(rxvt has some support for printers, but it doesn't work properly - not
the only bug therein).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://dickey.his.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Can anyone tell me how to get Linux to recognize my PCMCIA modem?
Date: 21 Aug 2000 14:59:31 GMT

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 10:30:25 GMT, William L. Rich Jr. wrote:
>I have an NEC Versa 5060X laptop with a PCTel HSP 56kflex PCMCIA modem.  I
>have no idea how to get it to work with Linux also.  If anyone could help,
>it would be greatly appreciated.

HSP = Host Signal Processing = WinModem = Forget It.  Buy yourself a
PCMCIA Real Modem.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Those who do not understand Unix are
http://www.brainbench.com     /   condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
=============================/           ==Henry Spencer

------------------------------

From: -ljl- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: marking 'bad' sectors?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 14:49:34 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> | On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Quentin Christensen wrote:
> | >
> | >Is there anything like scandisk for linux, to find and mark sectors
as bad (or
> | >however linux does it, I must look that up...)?
> |
> | Try using fsck. For e2fs, you stat it with the command e2fsck :-)
> | For documentation: man fsck
> |

> I ran into a post of someone mentioning a > tool named "badblocks"
> or something alike (running under Linux). You may try looking at
> freshmeat for this.

First look on your hard-disk, it has been around since at least 1994,
and is part of the ext2fs package.  I've never seen a distribution
without it.  Remy Card is its author.

--
Louis-ljl-{ Louis J. LaBash, Jr. }

From: "Luc Van Bogaert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie : which Linux distribution?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 15:00:11 GMT

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 01:49:55 -0500, Richard Steiner wrote:

>>I'm an experienced user of OS/2 and I'd like to get a taste of Linux,
>>with which I have no experience whatsoever, except for having seen it
>>run on other users computers :-)
>
>Be prepared for a bit of a culture shock.  :-)

I have Linux installed already (went for the Mandrake distribtion,
without having a real preference for this or any of the others), and
you've made me curious with your remark. Haven't done much with yet,
but in what way would you describe this as a culture shock, being used
to work with OS/2?

One thing that really impresses me is the overall "finish" of a
distribution like Mandrake and the usability of the system, immediately
after installation. Had IBM done this kind of work for OS/2, it would
have helped a great deal...

Luc Van Bogaert

------------------------------

From: Matthew Lybanon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: view image: xv or what?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 09:58:24 -0500

You probably have xv on your Linux system.  It's a good program, but one
I like even better--and which you may also have on your system--is The
GIMP.  If you don't have it you can get it.  It's free; the G in the
name is for GNU.  Surf over to www.gimp.org for details.

 | Matthew Lybanon                     | [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
 | Mapping, Charting, & Geodesy Branch |                         |
 | Naval Research Laboratory           | (228) 688-5576          |
 | Stennis Space Center, MS 39529      | (228) 688-4853 (fax)    |
 | USA                                 |                         |

From: Oliver Sinnen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.programmer,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: IBM's JDK 1.3 for linux/Windows
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 15:51:30 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi, just wondering any comments on the above vs others? Good, better or
> worse. Not compatible with IDEs, memory hog, etc?
>
> Thanks
>
> Regards
> Damon
>
> "It's not about working OT, it's about fatigue......" quoted Anonymous
> Programmer.

Hi Damon

Check out:
http://www.javalobby.org/features/jpr/

bye

Oliver Sinnen

------------------------------

From: Simon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IPGateway with Caldera Open Linux 2.2
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 16:11:15 +0100

can't access the internet ....

Can't ping past the Linux box

using ping - if the Linux box is not connected to the internet - I get a
messages from the linux box IP address that net is not accessable or silimar.

If the connection is active - pinging an address on the internet - I get a
time out error !!

hth

------------------------------

From: "Luc Van Bogaert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Best Linux Distribution
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 15:09:34 GMT

On Sat, 19 Aug 2000 20:23:45 -0500, Andrew N. McGuire  wrote:

>In the end
>it will be you who has to use it, so instead of starting a holy war
>here, why don't you do some research for yourself and not bug the NG
>with inflammatory questions.

Well, one thing I already noticed about some people on this newsgroup,
is that they are *real friendly* to other people, who are just asking
for some simple advice. I didn't realize that a simple question like
this would be enough to start a holy war, jeeeez! What's wrong with you
people? Has the Linux hype gone to your heads or something? Don't want
newbies here? To busy with intelligent stuff to answer stupid questions
about Linux distributions?

Anyway, I will do as you recommend and do some digging myself if I need
any help or advice about Linux, and think twice before I turn to this
newsgroup.

Thanks,

Luc Van Bogaert

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Subject: Re: Reality Check - NY Times Article
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 15:09:52 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Matthew Lybanon wrote:

>While I can't claim to be an expert in investment, I remember
>seeing a recent WinInfo article that reports that Micro$oft is
>working to port its applications to Linux.

Both Outlook Express and Internet Explorer were released for
Solaris years ago.  You can be prety sure that they had them
running under Linux also.  I wouldn't really call them "ports"
though: more like running the Win32 apps on top of a Win32
emulation layer -- performance was amazingly bad.  If they're
really doing native ports with a native X11 widget set (like Qt
or gtk), then that would be news!

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  .. I want FORTY-TWO
                                  at               TRYNEL FLOATATION SYSTEMS

------------------------------

From: -ljl- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 14:57:17 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Hal Burgiss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 21 Aug 2000 13:41:48 GMT, Koos Pol
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 18:56:53 +0800, Kichi Leung
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >wrote:

sectors as bad

> e2fsck -c will do the same thing as badblocks. At least recent
versions
> will. See man page.

That's because the '-c' option instructs e2fsck to run "badblocks" :-)

--
Louis-ljl-{ Louis J. LaBash, Jr. }

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: pbs compiling apache 1.3.12 (under Redhat 6.2)
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 14:57:50 GMT

Hi

While trying to compile apache with gcc (egcs-1.1.2-30), several error
messages have been displayed. Here is an example below:
"/usr/include/bits/errno.h:25:linux/errno.h".
I've tried creating links between the directories /usr/include/bits and
/usr/include/linux or asm, but it makes a loop (as on line 25 in this
example there is an include of the same file-the error was caused by a
bad path to it).
I'm quite novice with linux (perhaps have I forgotten to install some
packages?). Any information to solve this problem is welcome.
Thank you for your answers.
Stephanie

From: "Luc Van Bogaert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 15:12:19 GMT

On Sun, 20 Aug 2000 03:10:45 GMT, William W. wrote:

>If there is a
>good resource out there, then we should point people who ask, "Which
>distro is the best" to that resource. If not, what's wrong with offering
>our own opinions about why we like our favourite distributions, so long
>as we don't start flaming each other about it?

Finally! The first intelligent remark since the original message was
posted... thanks.

Luc Van Bogaert

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: why suid'ed shutdown refuses to run?
Date: 21 Aug 2000 15:14:53 GMT

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 04:33:18 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Would you explain why SetUID script is a huge security risk?
>I don't see why a SetUID binary is more secure...

When you run a SUID shell script, the following sequence of events takes
place:

0. calling shell fork()s
1. child shell assumes root privileges, exec()s
2. child shell begins to execute the script as root

There is a relatively easy-to-exploit time lag existing between steps 1
and 2.  A malicious person can use that time lag to replace the script
with a series of arbitrary commands.  This particular vulnerability
doesn't exist in SUID binaries.

From: Eugene Y Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: /net directory
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 11:25:45 -0400

What does the /net directory do in the Red Hat 6.1 installation?

------------------------------

From: Jeff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lost Hard Drive Space
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 15:29:33 GMT

I deleted that whole partition including the Linux...From what I got from
your answer,  I should be able to run scandisk and it will find that lost
space?  If that's true thank you so much.  You've been a big help.

Peter Mitchell wrote:

> Lost 1.5 Meg - presumably this is material stored on your
> Windows disk. Run Scandisk to recover the space if it is not
> taken by still existing files. Presumably all the data you
> need to re-install Linux are on the CD, so you can replace
> it from there if needed.
>
> Peter
>

> * Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find
related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.  Smart is
Beautiful

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Is Mandrake Really Red Hat...
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 15:32:47 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Johan Kullstam) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>> Oh well, but the "optimization" would still apply to the later
>> generation Pentiums, plus K5, K6's and up.
>
>this assumption would be wrong.
>
>> Even if the performance gain is
>> minimal.
>
>it's not minimal -- it's *negative*.

Please explain :)

--
Kenneth Rørvik          91841353/22718452
Steenstrupsgate 5 B     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Larry Condon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Installing linux on an eide drive (udma66)
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 11:32:51 -0400

How?  The installation cd only sees hda and hdb which are on udma33
connectors.  The mobo is an abit bp6 that comes with Gentus linux
and a 2.2.13 kernel which doesn't suit my needs.  I have 2.2.16smp
with the ide patch on hdb7 but want to do a clean install on hde.

No emai please, not my box.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Console based windowing system or split tty
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Kahari)
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 16:55:56 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
reishus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 11 Aug 2000 19:45:57 +0100, Andreas Kahari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> What I really want to do is to split one tty into several parts, so
>> that I, for example, could run Emacs in the upper half and compile my
>> kernel or read my e-mail in the lower half (or lower left quarter or
>> whatever I felt like).
>>
>You're using debian?  Check out the program splitvt.  It only lets you
>split the VT down the middle, but, maybe it'll help you.  Then again
>there are always VCs (;

It works great! Thanks!

/A

--
# Andreas Kähäri, <URL:http://hello.to/andkaha/>.
# ...brought to you from Uppsala, Sweden.

------------------------------

From: William Baird <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Other UNIX OS filesystems under linux?
Date: 21 Aug 2000 15:21:45 GMT

I've got a question that perhaps someone in the froups can answer.

We have a requirement for 'mission essential' systems to be recovered in
less than 4 hours.  Even with tapes, we have found that it often goes past
the deadline.

What I would like to do is set up a 'backup server' where the other machines
dump their drives to mirror them each night.  A cheap linux machine would be
ideal.  Just have a bank of drives that would be dumped to each night with a
one for one correspondance.

However, we are working in a heterogenous UNIX environment: Tru64, Solaris,
and linux.  We are trying to move to strictly linux, but that is taking time
due to the amount of proprietary software, so we have to work with what we
have.

Merely dumping and restoring isn't what I'd like to do.  I'd much rather just
pull disk(s), set the SCSI ID and stick it into whichever system has lost its
drive(s).  Thus be off and running in minutes even.

The question being is it possible to have other OS fs's under linux?

I know you can play with DOS and MS OS partitions, but what about other
UNIX's?

thanx,

 Will

--
Will Baird  email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://acca.nmsu.edu/~wbaird/
Phantoms!  Whenever I think I fully understand mankind's purpose on earth...

------------------------------

From: "M. Hockings" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Auto-start CD for Linux
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 11:50:16 -0400

I'm trying to make a simple CD that will auto-start a web browser against a file
on the CD.  I understand that there is an autorun.sh that Linux will run when a
CD is inserted.  To open the file index.htm on the root directory of the CD
would the following autorun.sh work?

#!/bin/sh
# this should start things up...
netscape index.htm
exit

Mike

--

Rifle Shooting in Ontario :  http://www.geocities.com/veeshooter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RAS server on Linux ?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 16:00:27 GMT

I would like to know if anybody know of a Linux program that works similar to
RAS on Windows NT, but giving me a linux prompt (as with a telnet login). The
program must be able to do automatic dial back.

I could use minicom but it looks as if it does not have any dial back facilities.
I could ofcouse write the program my self, but I do not have the time to make a
robust program.

I currently use kernel 2.2.16 (SUSE 6.4)
Thanks in advance
Bo Jacobsen

------------------------------

From: Dany Drapeau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.linux,alt.linux,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Problem with my firewall while backup my Web server
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 16:00:50 GMT

Hi,

I have a firewall with Redhat Linux 6.1 on a pentium-II 450mhz with 128
megs and 10 gigs harddisk. I have a server on a private zone that make
backup on my web server that is on my demilitary zone. While I start
backup everything are ok since it have about 400 megs of the data backed
up, the computer with the firewall & linux freeze. I'm new with Linux so
I really don't know what to do with taht. Somebody have any
suggestion???

Thank you

Dan