  Re: Auto-start CD for Linux (Dances With Crows)

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Installing 2nd hard disk
Date: 21 Aug 2000 17:07:31 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: [EMAIL PROTECTED] did eloquently scribble:
:> Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
:>> : The whole point of the mount command is to allow for an extendable
:>> : filesystem without the need to reboot!

:>> I think you're confusing two parts of the software universe.

:> I think you're right...
:> :)
:> My mistake.

: Looks like I was wrong to admit I was wrong.
: I *thought* I'd managed to add a disk and fdisk it without rebooting.
: (It was so long ago, I though I was mistaken. Now I know I wasn't).

: I hereby retract my "I think you're right. :) My mistake"

Better retract the quote above it though, since you were confusing two
parts of the software universe: the kernels boot sequence (which
includes a scan of the partition table on all IDE devices) and inits
sequence (which includes mounts of the devices listed in fstab).

From: CII <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Best Free E-Mail for Linux?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 17:06:09 GMT

I have not really played with any other than qMail. And I know a lot of
people that have their Servers Colocated at www.maxim.net.

From: Cindy Huyser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Woe is LILO
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 12:05:08 -0500

I have managed to corrupt LILO's descriptor table (when booting from
/dev/hda5, I get LIL- instead of LILO:, and the system hangs).  I have
tried replacing the map file, have run /sbin/lilo several times, without
avail.  I can boot from a floppy, but would like to be able to boot from
the hard drive.

My /etc/lilo.conf reads:

boot = /dev/hda5
timeout = 50
linear
prompt
  default = "Linux"
  vga = normal
  root = /dev/hda5
  read-only
map=boot/map
install=boot/boot.b
image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0
  label = "Linux"

I am loading Linux from the NT boot loader (Windows 2000).  Prior to my
descriptor table corruption (I reset the processor at an inopportune
moment -- beware impatience!), the dual boot worked just fine.

Any ideas as to how I might  redeem LILO?

Cindy Huyser

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Netscape java errors
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 08:25:38 -0500

I just downloaded and install the new (v4.75) Communicator
package from Netscape and have started having java problems.
When I load a page that uses java, I get a couple error boxes and
java does not work within Netscape:

---
Java reported the following error on startup:

java.lang.SecurityException: system classes where not signed
---

and this:

---
Warning: JIT compiler "jit" not found.  Will use interpreter
---

previous (eg v4.73) versions of Netscape.  Any ideas?

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Apc and serial ports...
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 13:20:41 -0400

sfcybear wrote:

> I am trying to set up an APC UPS. when I try to configure the software,
> it comes back stating that my serial port seems to be under "local
> control" and that I need to set it to handle "Modem control" Ive scammed
> the setserial man page but can not seem to find anything... Any one have
> an idea???

I run Red Hat Linux 6.0 on two machines and have never had this come up.

On the first machine, I ran an APC Back-UPS 400 using the genpowerd
software (and I made a special cable for it). I did have to get a free
serial port, which involved moving the modem to another IRQ and stuff, but
that was about it.

I then replaced it with an APC Smart-UPS 420, used their new cable, and run
their PowerChute software that works just fine. On the second machine, I
have an APC Smart-UPS 1000, running PowerChute software and that works too.

In each case, they just plug into a spare serial port. Do you have a getty
running on the port or something? Which software are you using? etc.?

--
Jean-David Beyer               .~.
Shrewsbury, New Jersey         /V\

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Regaining control of a process
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 13:26:13 -0400

Doug wrote:

> > I don't want to kill it, I want to be able to control it again. It got
> detached
> > when I got disconnected from the net. It's now just sitting there, without
> > being attached to any terminal.
> >

> You can't.
> It's parent is dead and it's now a 'zombie'.
> We all know what you have to do !

Silver dagger through its heart?

From: Michael Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: /net directory
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 13:24:46 -0400

Eugene Y Lee wrote:

> What does the /net directory do in the Red Hat 6.1 installation?

I believe it is used by the automount daemon (amd).

------------------------------

From: Thomas Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Some weird xterm behaviour!
Date: 21 Aug 2000 17:32:43 GMT

Andrew N. McGuire  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 21 Aug 2000, Thomas Dickey quoth:
> I suppose in the end that does not matter, as xterm still should not
> do that.  I just tried it on Solaris, and the /usr/openwin/bin/xterm
> on Solaris 7 does not display this behaviour.  So what I am "seeing"
> is a bug.

so use another program (MS telnet sounds like what you need)

--
Thomas E. Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://dickey.his.com

------------------------------

From: Tony Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What's better: MySQL or PostgreSQL
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 13:37:34 -0400

Andy wrote:

> What DMBS do you consider better? MySQL or PostgreSQL?
> I don't know which of these two I should use for my database. Which is more
> powerful or userfriendly?

There's no one size fits all answer.  The "best" database is
the one that does the job for you and that you understand
well.  The landscape is always changing, too and what
product X lacks today it may very well have tomorrow.  And
then, of course, we have different platforms: product Y
might be the bee's kneees on Solaris and be close to junk on
Linux.  Different jobs, different people, different
releases.

See also http://pcunix.com/Unixart/databases101.html (just
one person's opinion, of course).

--
Tony Lawrence ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Linux articles, help, book reviews, tests,

------------------------------

From: blackbird <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.d,comp.os.linux.setup,omp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: WARNING: Somebody is trojaning UseNet with Perl Script.
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 10:41:26 -0700

"Andrew N. McGuire" wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Aug 2000, blowfish (Alex Lam) quoth:
>
> ~~ Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 20:54:05 -0700
> ~~ From: "blowfish (Alex Lam)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> ~~ Newsgroups: alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.d, comp.os.linux.setup,
> ~~     omp.os.linux.networking, comp.os.linux.security, comp.os.linux.misc
> ~~ Subject: Re: WARNING: Somebody is trojaning UseNet with Perl Script.
> ~~
>
> [ snip post, again ]
>
> Sorry for the second reply, but I have looked through the Perl
> script that is a supposed 'Trojan'.  It is not a Trojan Horse, it
> looked like familiar bad code, and it was.  It is a 3 line RSA
> encryption program written in Perl.  It is also broken and pretty
> much about the worst code I have ever seen (that is taking into
> account the fact that it is obfuscated as well).  In other words,
> there is no reason to fear that Perl snippet, and you have just
> wasted a tremendous amount of bandwidth.

Yes, The script *is* broken, because I *took* part of it out *before* I
reposted it. I don't want somebody's machine to get compromised by
reposting the whole script.  If you want, post a reply here with your
private email address, and I will send you the *ORIGINAL* script posted
by doggie.

Alex / blowfish.

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I get Num Lock on automatically in X?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 13:43:30 -0400

Fabian Gebhardt wrote:

> My distribution (SuSE) turns the led off by default.
> But there is an option for the keyboard driver (/etc/rc.config:
> KBD_NUMLOCK="yes") which turns numlock on.
> This works on every console, but in X numlock becomes disabled and back to the
> console it's enabled.
>
> I have an idea:
> In /etc/rc.config you can set the tty for KBD_NUMLOCK and KBD_CAPSLOCK in
> KBD_TTY. This is tty1-tty6 by default. But X runs in tty7. Perhaps thats why
> numlock is disabled in X.
>
> Try KBD_TTY="tty1 tty2 tty3 tty4 tty5 tty6 tty7"
> or  KBD_TTY="" (for all tty's)
>
> Give it a try and let me know if it works.

My /etc/rc.d/rc.local contains, among other things:

# Added by jdbeyer to get NUM LOCK to default to ON.
for t in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
do
    /usr/bin/setleds +num < /dev/tty$t > /dev/null
done

If I manually execute this file, it will turn on the NUM LOCK led. But merely
booting the system, or switching to run level 5 does not accomplish this, even
for the command line shells. So I do not consider that this works, and that the
issue must be addressed somewhere else.

Nothing like this seems to work for the GNOME/Enlightenment environment. Whenever
I login there, I must press the button. Perhaps if I put it in my
$HOME/.bashrc....?

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Is Mandrake Really Red Hat...
Date: 21 Aug 2000 17:39:13 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc moonie;) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
:>In comp.os.linux.misc Kenneth Rorvik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:>: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Johan Kullstam) wrote in
:>: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
:>There is also wastage due to the different memory alignment schemes,
:>but I don't think it will be nocicable going 586 to 686.
:>
:>You'd win again on a 787 architecture, though (:-).

: If this argument is correct then why did GCC go to the PGCC code for the latest

They didn't. What has happened is more complex than you are making out.

: release of the GCC?  If your argument is correct then ALL of Linux just took a
: big leap backwards.

Well, that could also be argued. I don't think the complications
introduced by the egcs people (not the pgcc people) are worth it,
but I am happy with new template and exception support in gcc 2.95
(the union of gcc 2.8 and egcs).

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 21 Aug 2000 13:45:33 -0400

moonie;) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
> >In comp.os.linux.misc Kenneth Rorvik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Johan Kullstam) wrote in
> >: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >

> >:>> Oh well, but the "optimization" would still apply to the later
> >:>> generation Pentiums, plus K5, K6's and up.
> >:>
> >:>this assumption would be wrong.
> >:>
> >:>> Even if the performance gain is minimal.
> >:>
> >:>it's not minimal -- it's *negative*.
> >
> >: Please explain :)
> >
> >Negative is negative. What's to explain? If you attempt to reorder
> >machine instructions to gain advantage for a particular architecture,
> >you will not be optimizing it for a second architecture. In fact
> >you will be specializing the code and thereby rendering ineffective
> >the strategies used by the second architecture to "optimize on the
> >fly", because those strategies are aimed at the general case.
> >
> >The effect is particularly noticable wrt i586 and i686 architectures.
> >That's because the i686 contains gigantic internal logic aimed at
> >optimizing 386 code dynamically.  Any attempt to second guess it at
> >compile time (or, indeed, replace the 386 code with specialized 586
> >code) disadvantages that internal mechanism.  I'm tallking about the
> >branch heuristics here in particular.
> >
> >You've also got to consider the pipeline optimizations and instruction
> >reorderings that can take place.  It'll be more difficult to reorder
> >specialized instructions that generic ones (the RISC/CISC effect).
> >
> >There is also wastage due to the different memory alignment schemes,
> >but I don't think it will be nocicable going 586 to 686.
> >
> >You'd win again on a 787 architecture, though (:-).
> >
> >Peter

> If this argument is correct then why did GCC go to the PGCC code for
> the latest release of the GCC?  If your argument is correct then ALL
> of Linux just took a big leap backwards.

the scheduling tuning is different between i586 and i686.  using the
same generating engine but with different cost functions can generate
different encodings.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: blackbird <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.d,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 10:48:45 -0700

"Andrew N. McGuire" wrote:

> [...]
> ~~ > "Andrew N. McGuire" wrote:
> ~~ > >
> ~~ > > On Sat, 19 Aug 2000, blowfish (Alex Lam) quoth:
> ~~ > >
> ~~ > > ~~ Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 20:54:05 -0700
> ~~ > > ~~ From: "blowfish (Alex Lam)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> ~~ > > ~~ Reply-To: ..
> ~~ > > ~~ Newsgroups: alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.d, comp.os.linux.setup,
> ~~ > > ~~     omp.os.linux.networking, comp.os.linux.security,
> ~~ comp.os.linux.misc
> ~~ > > ~~ Subject: Re: WARNING: Somebody is trojaning UseNet with Perl Script.
> ~~ > > ~~
> ~~ > >
> ~~ > > [ snip post, again ]
> ~~ > >
> ~~ > > Sorry for the second reply, but I have looked through the Perl
> ~~ > > script that is a supposed 'Trojan'.  It is not a Trojan Horse, it
> ~~ > > looked like familiar bad code, and it was.  It is a 3 line RSA
> ~~ > > encryption program written in Perl.  It is also broken and pretty
> ~~ > > much about the worst code I have ever seen (that is taking into
> ~~ > > account the fact that it is obfuscated as well).  In other words,
> ~~ > > there is no reason to fear that Perl snippet, and you have just
> ~~ > > wasted a tremendous amount of bandwidth.
> ~~ > >
> ~~ > > anm
> ~~ > > --
> ~~ > >
> ~~ > It's bad code all right. But it did try to install a "new" KDE on my
> ~~ > machine.
> ~~ >
> ~~ > Yes, it even pops up a new window asking me if I wanted to proceed?
> ~~ >
> ~~
> ~~ So it only affects Linux users?  Heheh ;-)
>
> [anm@hawk ~] cat rsa.pl                                                 [pts/2]
> #!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj
> $/=unpack('H*',$_);$_=`echo 16dio\U$k"SK$/SM$n\EsN0p[lN*1
> lK[d2%Sa2/d0$^Ixp"|dc`;s/\W//g;$_=pack('H*',/((..)*)$/)
>
> Is the code you are talking about, right? This is not a Trojan,
> it will not ask you if you want to install a new KDE!  As a matter
> of fact, put it into a file, and run it on another text file.
>
> [anm@hawk ~] ./rsa.pl file                                              [pts/2]
> Can't rename file to <X+dfilelMLa^filelN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj: \
> No such file or directory, skipping file.
>
> Broke.  If you want the source to this idiodic program, go to:
>
> http://www.offshore.com.ai/arms-trafficker
>
> It is right there and it explains what it does, follow the links
> and there is even a two line version.  As two your installing a
> new KDE, that is due to something you did, not that program.
> If you are really that concerned, you can email me and I will
> explain what each line of the code does.  To make matters worse,
> the first line was #!/bin/perl!!!  Who in the hell puts perl in
> /bin?  Except on Solaris where /bin and /usr/bin are linked.

SuSE Linux has /usr/bin/perl just like Solaris. ;-)

No.  I did not try to install a new KDE. Or any new installation of
anything.

Thanks, but I've checked my camel, llama books already, just to make
sure.

Alex blackbird blowfish.

------------------------------

From: blackbird <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.d,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 10:53:54 -0700

NuQ wrote:

> x-no-archive: yes
> "blowfish" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "Andrew N. McGuire" wrote:
> > >
> > > On Sat, 19 Aug 2000, blowfish (Alex Lam) quoth:
> > >
> > > ~~ Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 20:54:05 -0700
> > > ~~ From: "blowfish (Alex Lam)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > ~~ Newsgroups: alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.d, comp.os.linux.setup,
> > > ~~     omp.os.linux.networking, comp.os.linux.security,
> comp.os.linux.misc
> > > ~~ Subject: Re: WARNING: Somebody is trojaning UseNet with Perl Script.
> > > ~~
> > >
> > > [ snip post, again ]
> > >
> > > Sorry for the second reply, but I have looked through the Perl
> > > script that is a supposed 'Trojan'.  It is not a Trojan Horse, it
> > > looked like familiar bad code, and it was.  It is a 3 line RSA
> > > encryption program written in Perl.  It is also broken and pretty
> > > much about the worst code I have ever seen (that is taking into
> > > account the fact that it is obfuscated as well).  In other words,
> > > there is no reason to fear that Perl snippet, and you have just
> > > wasted a tremendous amount of bandwidth.
> > >
> > > anm
> > > --
> > >
> > It's bad code all right. But it did try to install a "new" KDE on my
> > machine.
> >
> > Yes, it even pops up a new window asking me if I wanted to proceed?
> >

> So it only affects Linux users?  Heheh ;-)

Not on a carefully set up box. It got caught *before* it could do any
harm. ;-)

blowfish. blackbird.  Alex

------------------------------

From: Daniel =?iso-8859-1?Q?Fern=E1ndez?= Garrido <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SB PCI128 does not work...
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 19:55:07 +0200

    Hello.

    I've got a SB PCI 128 with an Ensoniq ES1371 chip. I've configured
the kernel correctly and the card seems to work fine with Audio CDs, but
I'm not able to play Mp3's from FreeAmp, or RealPlayer Media, or any
other type of sound not coming from the CD player...
    Anyway, the OS doesn't complain in any way. It does not realize that
sound is not reaching the speakers.
    It seems as if only the CD player could communicate with the sound
board.

    The SB works correctly on Win, and it worked correctly on Linux
before. I think the problem started when I installed the last update for
Helix GNOME, which updated (I think) the "esd".

    Which can be the problem here?

    It's Red Hat 6.1 with kernel 2.2.12.

    Thank's.

­--
Daniel Fernández Garrido

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Whats the best window manager?
Date: 21 Aug 2000 17:57:21 GMT

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 16:11:37 GMT, Database wrote:
>Whats the best window manager?

Depends on what you want from your WM!  If you want something that's
small and fast, you can try Blackbox, fvwm2, or IceWM.  If you want
something that's GNOME-compliant and reasonably small/fast, try Sawfish.
If you want maximum eye candy, ty Enlightenment.  If you're using KDE,
you're probably already using kfm.  I prefer kfm or Sawfish, but as
always YMMV.  Try several WMs and see which one you like best, and that
will be the best window manager for *you*.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Those who do not understand Unix are
http://www.brainbench.com     /   condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
=============================/           ==Henry Spencer

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Auto-start CD for Linux
Date: 21 Aug 2000 18:04:04 GMT

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 11:50:16 -0400, M. Hockings wrote:
>I'm trying to make a simple CD that will auto-start a web browser
>against a file on the CD.  I understand that there is an autorun.sh
>that Linux will run when a CD is inserted.  To open the file index.htm
>on the root directory of the CD would the following autorun.sh work?
>
>#!/bin/sh
>netscape index.htm
>exit

Not always.  For one thing, "autorun" is often considered an abomination
in Unix circles, and not too many file managers implement that
"autorun.sh" feature you mention.  (The only one that I'm aware of which
does this is gmc, and even then, the user has to explicitly configure
that in gmc's options.)  What if the machine you insert this CD into
doesn't have Netscape?  What if the user doesn't *like* Netscape and
would rather browse things using Amaya/Opera/Konqueror/lynx ?

You could put that in, but you should also have a file called
"README.txt" that tells the user to open up "index.html" with their
browser of choice.