Linux-Misc Digest #517, Volume #25               Mon, 21 Aug 00 17:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Woe is LILO (Cindy Huyser)
  Updated to new HelixCode & Now can't boot! (Packetgeek)
  Re: Troubleshooting (Tony Lawrence)
  loopback not being set (Peter Bismuti)
  Re: Reality Check - NY Times Article (Tony Lawrence)
  Re: WARNING: Somebody is trojaning UseNet with Perl Script. (blackbird)
  GUNZIP a 10Gb file? ("William J. Schaff")
  Re: Whats the best window manager? (Peter Bismuti)
  backup and restore with cpio?? (Douglas Nichols)
  Re: WARNING: Somebody is trojaning UseNet with Perl Script. (blackbird)
  MP3 player under linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  IP address of NIC eth0 ("Darren Welson")
  Re: Reality Check - NY Times Article (praedor)
  Kickstart won't kick (Robert Tsai)
  Re: linux won't boot ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  commands hanging in RH6.1 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: IP address of NIC eth0 (Dances With Crows)
  Re: marking 'bad' sectors? (M. Buchenrieder)
  Re: Whats the best window manager? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Timestamp problem with VFAT files. (Shadoglare)
  What dist is easyLinux based on? ("Ross Levis")
  Re: STTY and ERASE (NF Stevens)
  APM BIOS access on TP 600x (Chris)
  Re: Whats the best window manager? ("Database")
  Streaming Video app? (Romeyn Prescott)

From: Cindy Huyser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Woe is LILO
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 13:14:47 -0500

Tried it, but still a no go.

Thanks, anyway.

Cindy

------------------------------

From: Packetgeek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Updated to new HelixCode & Now can't boot!
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 18:30:37 GMT

Good Afternoon,
This morning I updated to the newest HelixCode via their auto installer.
I played around for a little while including changing sendmail settings
in LinuxConf (mail server name etc... nothing major). I shut down the
computer before going to lunch. I just tried to fire it up & it says:

Mounting proc filesystem dup2: Bad file descriptor

Configuring kernel parameters dup2: Bad file descriptor

Setting clock : Mon Aug 21 14:09:47 EDT 2000 dup2: Bad file descriptor

... You get the point

then says
*** An error occurred during the filesystem check
***Dropping to a shell; the system will reboot
***when you leave the shell.
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Ctrl-D for normal startup):

I gave the root password and did fsck..

it tells me "parallelizing fsck ver ...."
then goes back to a prompt.
I also rebooted & tried the Ctrl-D..
It ran by fast but said something about /~mtab/  (I think) then
re-booted.

I'm running RH 6.2 on a Pentium MMX 233 MHz w/ 98 Mb RAM

Was running fine yesterday and today until the power cycle after the
**upgrade**. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You

------------------------------

From: Tony Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Troubleshooting
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 14:34:00 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm going to supervise a workshop were some extent of the workshop will
> relate to troubleshooting Linux (Red Hat).

Not RH (or even Linux) specific, but
http://pcunix.com/Unixart/troubleshooting.html might give
you some ideas.

--
Tony Lawrence ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Linux articles, help, book reviews, tests,

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Bismuti)
Subject: loopback not being set
Date: 21 Aug 2000 18:35:34 GMT

I keep getting the 'neighbour table overflow' error and I have to do an
ifconfig and route command each time I boot to reset the loopback interface.

How can I fix this?

Thanks!

------------------------------

From: Tony Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Reality Check - NY Times Article
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 14:40:52 -0400

Buck Turgidson wrote:

> August 20, 2000
>
> Why Few Funds Are Lining Up to Buy Linux
> By DANNY HAKIM

You have to differentiate between Linux and companies that
sell Linux.  A good number of the latter are in trouble or
will be.  That's unimportant:even Red Hat can go belly up
and it will not stop the OS itself from continuing..

From: blackbird <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.d,comp.os.linux.setup,omp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: WARNING: Somebody is trojaning UseNet with Perl Script.
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 11:46:51 -0700

"Andrew N. McGuire" wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Aug 2000, blowfish (Alex Lam) quoth:
>
> ~~ Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 20:54:05 -0700
> ~~ From: "blowfish (Alex Lam)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> ~~ Newsgroups: alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.d, comp.os.linux.setup,
> ~~     omp.os.linux.networking, comp.os.linux.security, comp.os.linux.misc
> ~~ Subject: Re: WARNING: Somebody is trojaning UseNet with Perl Script.
> ~~
>
> [ snip post, again ]
>
> Sorry for the second reply, but I have looked through the Perl
> script that is a supposed 'Trojan'.  It is not a Trojan Horse, it
> looked like familiar bad code, and it was.  It is a 3 line RSA
> encryption program written in Perl.  It is also broken and pretty
> much about the worst code I have ever seen (that is taking into
> account the fact that it is obfuscated as well).  In other words,
> there is no reason to fear that Perl snippet, and you have just
> wasted a tremendous amount of bandwidth.

Sorry for another reply to this, but, the poster can maybe get the
encryption keys to create a faked, signed message.

Alex blowfish blackbird.

------------------------------

From: "William J. Schaff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: GUNZIP a 10Gb file?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 11:10:43 -0400

I need to decompress a 10Gb .gz file, but gunzip and gzip complain that
the file is too large.  This is on a 2.4 kernal which successfully
ftp'ed the file (large file success under 2.4!).  Any ideas on how to to
this?

The original file was created by a combination of dump | gzip |
ftpbackup and I need to restore a portion of.  If I manage to gunzip the
.gz file, will restore be able to handle a 10GB+ file?

--
William J. Schaff        607-255-3974 / 607-227-4373
415 Phillips Hall        607-255-4742 FAX

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Bismuti)
Subject: Re: Whats the best window manager?
Date: 21 Aug 2000 18:41:32 GMT

Peter T. Breuer ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

No need to flame, keep this newsgroup friendly and helpful.  It isn't that
stupid of a question, why not contribute some useful information?

I use FVWM2, it is lightweight and fast and seems powerful, but may be
harder to configure than others.  I've heard Gnome is a little unstable,
so I tried KDE, but it was slow.  When you use virtual desktops, there is
a noticable dealy when clicking on the pager before the new window pops up.
I found this intolerable so I switched back to FVWM2.

: Database <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: : Whats the best window manager?
:
: What's the most idiotic question asked by people who don't think what
: their question means before asking?
:
: Have you any criteria, or will "the pinkest" suffice as an answer?
:
: Peter

------------------------------

From: Douglas Nichols <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: backup and restore with cpio??
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 17:21:42 -0700

I am getting a truncating inode number when I try to back up some file
systems and cannot seem to restore any files. I suspect that it is not
backing up the files for what ever reason, can someone give me some
insight into this?

cpio: .: truncating inode number
cpio: log: truncating inode number
cpio: templates: truncating inode number
cpio: queued: truncating inode number
4408 blocks
..
..
.. blah blah

thanks

--
Cheers, dn

Douglas Nichols                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
National Wilms Tumor Study Group                   206.667.4283
Seattle, WA

------------------------------

From: blackbird <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.d,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 10:55:10 -0700

NuQ wrote:

> x-no-archive: yes
> "blowfish" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "Andrew N. McGuire" wrote:
> > >
> > > On Sat, 19 Aug 2000, blowfish (Alex Lam) quoth:
> > >
> > > ~~ Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 20:54:05 -0700
> > > ~~ From: "blowfish (Alex Lam)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > ~~ Newsgroups: alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.d, comp.os.linux.setup,
> > > ~~     omp.os.linux.networking, comp.os.linux.security,
> comp.os.linux.misc
> > > ~~ Subject: Re: WARNING: Somebody is trojaning UseNet with Perl Script.
> > > ~~
> > >
> > > [ snip post, again ]
> > >
> > > Sorry for the second reply, but I have looked through the Perl
> > > script that is a supposed 'Trojan'.  It is not a Trojan Horse, it
> > > looked like familiar bad code, and it was.  It is a 3 line RSA
> > > encryption program written in Perl.  It is also broken and pretty
> > > much about the worst code I have ever seen (that is taking into
> > > account the fact that it is obfuscated as well).  In other words,
> > > there is no reason to fear that Perl snippet, and you have just
> > > wasted a tremendous amount of bandwidth.
> > >
> > > anm
> > > --
> > >
> > It's bad code all right. But it did try to install a "new" KDE on my
> > machine.
> >
> > Yes, it even pops up a new window asking me if I wanted to proceed?
> >

> So it only affects Linux users?  Heheh ;-)

Not on a carefully set up box. It got caught *before* it could do any
harm. ;-)

blowfish. blackbird.  Alex

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: MP3 player under linux
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 18:58:12 GMT

Hi,

I have this Japanese MP3 player called the hyperhyde and I'm trying to
get it work properly under linux.  I've tried it under a Win98 machine,
and it installs itself as a removable drive.  There dosen't seem to be
any special interface software to be used to load tunes onto the memory
card, so I thought I could install it pretty easily onto my linux
machine.  The device responds when I use parport_pc to access it like a
Zip drive, but I can't get linux to mount it (I'm using SuSE v6.2).  It
uses a serial cable to transfer the files to the player.  Like I said,
I can get it to respond to the parport command, so it's not impossible
to use with linux, but what am I doing wrong to prevent linux from
mounting it?

Any help from linux experts to this linux novice would be greatly
appreciated, coz I'm stuck using windows with it until this gets
figured out...

Chris Crook

From: "Darren Welson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: IP address of NIC eth0
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 12:27:16 -0700

At bootup, I get an error 'cannot determine IP addressing information of
device eth0'.

what does this mean?  All I know is that I must manually start eth0, even
though all of my configurations tell it to start at bootup.  Also, my IP
addressing should be correct because as of now, the PC is not connected to
any others.

darren

------------------------------

From: praedor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 13:42:37 -0600

David Steuber wrote:

[...]
> My newest machine is a home built box.  I purchased the components
> seperatly with Linux in mind.  I assembled the box and saved almost no
> money over purchasing a pre-built system.  I did save a little.  I
[...]

The initial build of a system wont save you much.
You save BIGTIME on upgrades from there, however,
plus the added bonus of not having Doze installed
or required, like it or not.

I built my own system years ago.  I rarely spend
more than $500 now and again, as I upgrade a video
card, harddrive, CPU, monitor.  By building your
own system from basic parts, you are assured of
STANDARD parts.  No wierd motherboard configs that
are specific to a given brand.  No wierd BIOS crap,
no retarded YOUR ORIGINAL BOX ONLY configured CDs
(the doze distro that now comes with newer systems).

The last upgrade I did, about 2 months ago, was
to upgrade from a Celeron to an Athlon.  This ONLY
required a motherboard/CPU change.  My harddrives
are unchanged, my video is unchanged, my monitor
is unchanged, etc.  Total cost for, essentially,
an up-to-date system: $350.  Cheaper than a new
system by far, especially one similarly equipped.

I am ASSURED that I can continue to upgrade without
problems for some time to come.  Motherboard layout
wont likely change significantly for some time so
my case is safe.  My harddrives are safe until they
actually fail.  My video card is good until I decide
I must have a new one with better bells and whistles.
The long-term cost is much lower if you build and
upgrade your own vs buying new.

praedor

------------------------------

From: Robert Tsai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Kickstart won't kick
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 15:53:42 -0400

I'm in the process of testing Red Hat 6.2 installation using
Kickstart over FTP. When I boot up the testing system using a floppy
disk containing
bootinet.img plus syslinux.cfg and ks.cfg, it hangs at Language
selection page.

When I hit (ALT+F3), the log (simplified) reports:
*going to insmod fat.0 (path is NULL)
 .
 .
 .
*reverse name lookup worked
*module 3c59x inserted successfully

And pressing (ALT+F4) gives:
<6> eth0: 3com 3c905b...
.
.
.
<6> enabling bus master transmits and whole-frame receives
<4> neighbour table overflow

Here the sample of the ks.cfg I am using:

#         Copy this file as "ks.cfg" to the boot disk that comes with
#               RedHat 6.0. Or make your own boot disk. Anyways, the
#                bootdisk is formatted msdos, so you can use a Windows
#               computer to copy this file to it. Also, when the prompt
#               comes up after you boot off of the floppy disk, type
#               linux ks=floppy
#               and press enter.

lang en_US
network --bootproto static --ip 209.1.8.39 --netmask 255.255.255.224
--gateway
209.1.8.33 --nameserver 204.25.24.2     #one line
url --url
ftp://user:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/home/www/ftp/sw/redhat/RedHat6.2  #our ftp

server
#cdrom
device ethernet 3c59x
keyboard us
zerombr yes
clearpart --all
part swap --size 100
part / --size 2000
part /Backups --size 1000 --grow
mouse --kickstart microsoft --device ttyS1
install
timezone --utc US/Eastern
#xconfig --server XF86_VGA16
rootpw password
auth --useshadow
lilo --location mbr
%packages
@ Base
@ Printer Support
@ X Window System
@ GNOME
@ KDE
@ Mail/WWW/News Tools
@ DOS/Windows Connectivity
@ File Managers
@ Graphics Manipulation
@ Console Games
@ X Games
@ Console Multimedia
@ X multimedia support
@ Networked Workstation
@ Dialup Workstation
@ News Server
@ NFS Server
@ SMB (Samba) Connectivity
@ IPX/Netware(tm) Connectivity
@ Anonymous FTP Server
@ Web Server
@ DNS Name Server
@ Postgres (SQL) Server
@ Network Management Workstation
@ TeX Document Formatting
@ Emacs
@ Emacs with X windows
@ C Development
@ Development Libraries
@ C++ Development
@ X Development
@ GNOME Development
@ Kernel Development
@ Extra Documentation
AfterStep
AfterStep-APPS
AnotherLevel
.
.
.
etc.

Please help. Your suggestion is deeply appreciated.

Thanks!

Robert Tsai

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: linux won't boot
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 19:51:08 GMT

I have the same problem! I have the following system:

ASUS A7V motherboard
AMD 800Mhz Thunderbird
128MB SDRAM PC133
IBM 75GXP 30GB ATA/100
Matrox G400 32MB
Plextor 8x4x32x
Netgear network card
SB Live!

>From what I can gather off BBs, it's a problem with the thunderbird &
linux 6.2 combo. Let me know if you have a solution. I have a possible
solution I found but have not tried yet. I plan to try it tonight and
see if it works.

Jason

In article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: commands hanging in RH6.1
Date: 21 Aug 2000 20:02:20 GMT

        I'm having some commands hanging on one of my RH6.1 boxes, and I don't
know how to find out the cause.  For example, when I do "route" the kernel IP
table is printed, but the command prompt doesn't come back unless I type
CTRL-C.  This is inconvenient, but I'm experiencing a worse problem with
"tar".
        When I type "tar -x [filename]", the command hangs and doesn't perform
it's function.  CTRL-C brings back the prompt.  I'm therefore unable to
extract tar archives on this box.  I'm somewhat suspecting a disk problem, but
there are no disk error messages coming up.  Any ideas how I can track down
the cause and fix the problem?

John Meshkoff    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
remove "nospam." to reply
http://www.sivakalpa.org/johnpipe/
"I do not know that I know the self fully,
neither do I know that I know him not"
                ...from the Upanishads

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: IP address of NIC eth0
Date: 21 Aug 2000 20:14:26 GMT

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 12:27:16 -0700, Darren Welson wrote:
>At bootup, I get an error 'cannot determine IP addressing information of
>device eth0'.
>what does this mean?  All I know is that I must manually start eth0, even
>though all of my configurations tell it to start at bootup.  Also, my IP
>addressing should be correct because as of now, the PC is not connected to
>any others.

Most distros have a set of startup scripts in /sbin/init.d/ (That's
/etc/rc.d/init.d/ for RedHat users) that look elsewhere (/etc/rc.config
or /etc/sysconfig/ ) for information about the IP address(es) of various
network devices.  If you had said which distro you're using, I'm sure
someone could provide more help, but as it is, I'm shooting in the dark.
Probably one of the files that contains the info the boot script is
looking for is missing or corrupt--fix it.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Those who do not understand Unix are
http://www.brainbench.com     /   condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
=============================/           ==Henry Spencer

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: marking 'bad' sectors?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 17:32:58 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Quentin Christensen) writes:

>Hello,

>I'm pretty new to linux, so please excuse me if this is a stupid question :)

There are no stupid questions. Only stupid answers, and - often -
peoples who are too lazy to check the available informations first...

>I have linux (slackware 7.0) on a partition of my hard drive, but the hard
>drive has a couple of bad sectors here and there.

Well, you _can_ live with it, but given today's HD density and the
average speed, the drive is going to die. Get a new one ASAP,
otherwise you'll run into serious problems later. Keep in mind
that most manufacturers give a 3 - 5 years warranty on new drives;
it's quite some time since I had to buy the last one, because they
tend to die after about 3 years...

>Sometimes when doing hard
>disk acess the drive will whine and clunk and eventually do whatever it's
>trying to do.

Bad, bad, bad.

>Is there anything like scandisk for linux, to find and mark sectors
>as bad (or
>however linux does it, I must look that up...)?

[...]

Yes, "e2fsck -c" will do that. You'll have to boot from a floppy or
from an installation CDROM, though, because you may never run this
program on a mounted partition. "badblocks" does the same, by the way.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 21 Aug 2000 20:24:57 GMT

Peter Bismuti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Peter T. Breuer ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: : Database <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: : : Whats the best window manager?
: : What's the most idiotic question asked by people who don't think what
: : their question means before asking?
: : Have you any criteria, or will "the pinkest" suffice as an answer?
: I use FVWM2, it is lightweight and fast and seems powerful, but may be
: harder to configure than others.  I've heard Gnome is a little unstable,
: so I tried KDE, but it was slow.  When you use virtual desktops, there is
: a noticable dealy when clicking on the pager before the new window pops up.
: I found this intolerable so I switched back to FVWM2.
: No need to flame, keep this newsgroup friendly and helpful.  It isn't that
: stupid of a question, why not contribute some useful information?

Because it not useful to know your opinion - or mine. It's the askers
opinion that counts. (I use fvwm1 and kde).

From: Shadoglare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux
Subject: Re: Timestamp problem with VFAT files.
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 20:49:51 GMT

RedHat lists this as a bug on their web page and describe how to fix
it - it's at www.redhat.com, under I think the "support" section or
something similarly named.

They in

From: "Ross Levis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: What dist is easyLinux based on?
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 08:59:31 +1200

Most "other" distributions are based on one of the major ones (rg .RH SuSE).
Does anyone know what easyLinux is compatible with.  I presume SuSE but what
version?  I want to be able to install updated applications directly from
the authors.

Cheers,
Ross.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (NF Stevens)
Subject: Re: STTY and ERASE
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 21:02:58 GMT

Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Victor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> How hard can it be to put "stty erase ^H" into your login profile?
>>
>>Well, consider that all users must use ^H since many of them
>>might have it set to ^? for other reasons (connection to other
>>boxes that use different standard that aren't under your
>>control).
>
>Nonsense.  All users must pick which they want it to be, and put that
>into their own login profile, on *each* box.

If you remotely access a different machine then your login defaults
must match the machine you are accessing it from, not the machine
you are using. It is possible to set up your .profile so that
it checks the term type and sets everything up accordingly, e.g.

        if [ "$TERM" = linux ]
        then
                export TERM=vt100
                stty erase ^?
                etc. etc.
        fi

but it is a pain. You have to do it on every machine you access.
The only system which requires it is linux.

[snip]

>Nonsense, nonsense, and more nonsense.  Users can and should set
>their profile to whatever they like, that is not a "fix", that
>is *standard proceedure*.

If they want to set stty erase to the backspace key on their
keyboard they have to set stty erase to ^?. They don't have
any choice.

>  The "server" merely needs to have a
>minimal and functional environment, and nothing more.  And

That's mostly fine if you only ever use one console. It's
also mostly fine once you have logged in and have set you
up your terminal; but it is a nuisance if your backspace
key just displays ^? (or ^H) when you're trying to edit
your username while logging in.

>finally, Backspace does send Backspace, but what thet does on
>your terminal is entirely up to you.

Nonsense. By default in linux the backspace key does not
generate a backspace character.

Norman

------------------------------

From: Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.programmer.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.kernel-mode,alt.linux,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.laptops
Subject: APM BIOS access on TP 600x
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 22:05:14 +0100

I'm looking for a way to access the APM BIOS of a Thinkpad 600x from
NT 4.0 WS. I know that NT doesn't support any power saving modes; on
the other side, the 600x seems to support this as apm.c in the Linux
2.x kernels suggests.

SMAPI as defined by IBM for their Thinkpads and used by Linux tools
such as tpctl doesn't seem to be the answer as it only seems to
support _control_ over the various settings the hardware / BIOS
supports and no functionality to, for example, obtain the remaining
recharging time for the battery (which the fuel gauge from the IBM
tools running on NT _can_ obtain!). As an aside: function 22h (get
power settings) does not seem be supported on my 600x as the SMAPI
invocation returns 53h: function not supported.

I had a quick look around in segment 40h for a jump point into the APM
BIOS under NT (that's what I'm getting from apm.c and apm_bios.h in
the Linux kernel but maybe I'm interpreting this wrong). But no luck
here. Any suggestions how to get the access (real mode or virtual x86)
and jump point for that BIOS extension under NT? Any hints gladly
appreciated!

Answers please in this newsgroup or via email; I'll post a summary
if there are enough replies.

     Chris

------------------------------

From: "Database" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 21:03:04 GMT

With all the graphics etc. to enlightenment. It would be slower right?

database

Subject: Streaming Video app?
From: Romeyn Prescott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 21:06:16 GMT

Hiya,

What can anyone recommend as a Video Capture program for Linux (RedHat 6.2)
that will allow me to serve real-time streaming video from a Hauppauge
WinCast TV card?

TIA,
...ROMeyn