From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: passwd
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 06:59:49 GMT

Can give all inputs(new password and confirmation password) from a file
Thanks in advance

Bijoy

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Writing a Linux image over NFS with boot disk?
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 07:17:46 GMT

Hi all

I am looking for a means of writing a previously dd'd hard drive image (ie I
have called 'dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/nfs/file bs=1024' to write the file to an
NFS share), via NFS through the use of a boot disk, to a new system. OK I can
probably create a boot disk to do this if I read through the bootdisk-howto
(I want to virtually stick a disk in a drive, turn the computer on, and have
it automatically put the Linux OS AND all settings and custom scripts on
there AND install LILO, without any user intervention if possible).

First thing: has this been done before? I don't want to reinvent the wheel...
Second thing: a major complexity I can see is that when I 'dd if=/nfs/file
of=/dev/hda1 bs=1024', It will write the partition as-is to the new drive,
and I would prefer the partition size to be dynamically allocated, and to be
able to set up a seperate swap partition as well. I have never done much
Linux programming so am not sure the best way of doing this...I know that
partition magic 5.x includes some form of support for resizing Linux
partitions (from inside Linux too!) - this might help?

Any help from anyone could be appreciated! I will try to keep an eye on the
list but please CC any replies to [EMAIL PROTECTED] if at all
possible! Thanks!

Brett Randall

From: Oliver Mannion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help: running bkground process after logout??
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 20:04:49 +1200

Hi,
I would like to run a console app in the background and have it still
run
when I log off. How can I do this in Linux? How can I disconnect the app

from its terminal??
Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks
Oliver Mannion

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Davide Bianchi)
Subject: PHP/MySQL "mysql.sock" not found ???
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 08:37:13 GMT

Hi all,
I've installed two machines (both RedHat) with Apache/PHP and MySQL
database.
The first machine run fine, no problem at all. The second machine,
when I try to execute a PHP script that connect to the MySQL database
display an error that can't connect to the database using
the Socket "/tmp/mysql.sock".

I checked the MySQL installation, and found the mysql.sock into
/var/bin/mysql.

I create a simlink from /tmp to /var/bin/mysql, and the things are
working now... only wonder WHERE the location of the mysql.sock
file are stated... I couldn't found it in any configuration file,
sure it isn't in the apache configuration, nor into the PHP
configuration (there is a PHP configuration ?).

Someone can light a match here ?

Davide

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Help: running bkground process after logout??
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Kahari)
Date: 22 Aug 2000 10:47:03 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Oliver Mannion  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>I would like to run a console app in the background and have it still
>run
>when I log off. How can I do this in Linux? How can I disconnect the app
>
>from its terminal??
>Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated,
>Thanks
>Oliver Mannion

Use 'nohup':

$ nohup myapp &

Read the 'nohup' manual page.

/A

--
# Andreas Kähäri, <URL:http://hello.to/andkaha/>.
# ...brought to you from Uppsala, Sweden.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Subject: Re: Is Mandrake Really Red Hat...
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 02:49:55 -0500

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
spake unto us, saying:

>There are *many* up and running *'486* systems around (I use one for a
>print server).

...and my firewall box is a 486.  Why waste newer hardware on such a
simple function when older (but still capable) hardware exists?  :-)

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>--->  Bloomington, MN
      OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Solaris + Win95 + WinNT4 + FreeBSD + DOS

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Subject: Re: Whats the best window manager?
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 02:55:45 -0500

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, "Database" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
spake unto us, saying:

>Whats the best window manager?

Probably the one that works best for you.  It varies from person to
person.  You might find some useful information and links here:

  http://www.PLiG.org/~xwinman/

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>--->  Bloomington, MN
      OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Solaris + Win95 + WinNT4 + FreeBSD + DOS
       + VMWare + Fusion + vMac + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven! :-)
          Lord! Give me chastity and self restraint, but not yet.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Subject: Re: Upgrading an enternal USR Courier V.Everything *without* MS-Windows...
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 02:53:23 -0500

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
spake unto us, saying:

>No, you can still upgrade the firmware with xmodem.  The catch is that
>although the firmware updates include the X2/V.90 code, this code is
>'disabled' somehow.  The enabler magic is embedded in some MS-Windows
>(or MacOS) program (unexplained by 3Com).

Ah...  I'd forgotten about that.

When USR first released their X2 firmware, they required that people
call a long-distance BBS in order to activate the patch.  The userid
and password you entered to get into the BBS was given to each user
via e-mail.

That activation method was platform-independent.

Sounds like they've become a bit more Windows-centric.  A shame.  :-(

Perhaps they could be asked to bring back that method?

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>--->  Bloomington, MN
      OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Solaris + Win95 + WinNT4 + FreeBSD + DOS
       + VMWare + Fusion + vMac + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven! :-)
                 100,000 sperm, and YOU were the quickest?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Subject: Re: Best Linux Distribution
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 03:03:40 -0500

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (NoMadis)
spake unto us, saying:

>On Sat, 19 Aug 2000 Luc Van Bogaert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>You're wrong : there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers and
>>you just gave one yourself.
>
>No, _You_ are wrong. There are not alot of questions that would fall in
>the category "stupid" but this one definitely belongs there.

Not necessarily.  Even though the question can be inflammatory, it is
sometimes (often) an indication that the person posing the question
does not understand the complex nature of the issues involved.

There is still an opportunity for education here.  That is what Usenet
is about.  Well, that and flaming.  :-)  But the latter is best left in
the advocacy newsgroups, isn't it?

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Installing 2nd hard disk
Date: 22 Aug 2000 08:58:29 GMT

In comp.os.linux.help Stewart Honsberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: On 21 Aug 2000 23:52:37 GMT, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
:>: I agree with Stewart. If the drive is BRAND-SPANKING new, there
:>: shouldn't need a reboot after you partition and mkfs on it. I am
:>
:>This has nothing to do with the state of the disk.

: It has everything to do with the state of the disk. Your argument supporting
: re-booting after using fdisk was based on having a mounted partition on the
: drive.

Which has nothing to do with the disk, and everything to do with the
person mounting the disk! He's making the partitions precisely in
order to mount them in the future. I wasn't going to spend time telling
him when in the future he could and could not mount them.

:>quote of a bottom quote, but am going to cut the rest entirely, so
:>people can just guess whatever it is you are talking about while seeing
:>perfectly well what *I* am talking about.  Geez ..  what is it with
:>peoples writing and editing skills?

: While I agree with you, I have to ask - was the fecetiousness really
: neccesary?

No, it was gratuitous. I didn't charge :-).

From: Miguel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 10:18:25 +0200

Oliver Mannion wrote:

> Hi,
> I would like to run a console app in the background and have it still
> run
> when I log off. How can I do this in Linux? How can I disconnect the app
>
> from its terminal??
> Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated,

Use nohup. If you wanted to run a program called pepe, then just type

        nohup pepe &

and that program will ignore the HUP signal when you log out and will
kepp running. I hope this helps

                Miguel

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: why suid'ed shutdown refuses to run?
Date: 22 Aug 2000 09:03:47 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
:> When you run a SUID shell script, the following sequence of events takes
:> place:
:>
:> 0. calling shell fork()s
:> 1. child shell assumes root privileges, exec()s
:> 2. child shell begins to execute the script as root
:>
:> There is a relatively easy-to-exploit time lag existing between steps 1
:> and 2.  A malicious person can use that time lag to replace the script
:> with a series of arbitrary commands.  This particular vulnerability
:> doesn't exist in SUID binaries.

: If the script is SUID, we just souldn't allow anyone to modify it.
: How can one replace the script with arbitrary commands?

Link tricks, if you must know.

Personally I'm more worried about env vars and special character
interpretations.

From: "Stefan Viljoen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems uninstalling gtk+
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 08:14:20 +0200

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Stefan Viljoen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> > Hi!
>
> > How do I uninstall an old gtk+ (non RPM) version of gtk so that I can
> > install a new one? I. e. how do I totally remove gtk+ and install the
newer
> > version? I already have the new version, installing it doesn't help as I

> Have you still got the old versions makefile?
> If so, simple make uninstall.
>
> This might not be a good idea though...
>
> The other alternative is to find the old gtk-config script.
> (And remove it)

Hmm - I just found out yesterday that I need a newer version of GLIB - not
gtk! Anyway, I downloaded this, did a "rpm --erase --nodeps glib" (since
glib WAS an RPM app on my system), then I ./configure 'ed, make, make
install. Only problem is now my X windows won't start. It says it wants the
version 1.2 glib library file, which, of course, I had just removed. I
checked and a new glib library file with new version numbers does exist in
my /usr/local/lib directory. So, clearly, all I need to do is get Xwindows
to use the newly compiled and installed 1.3 GLIB library file instead of the
old one.

How do I get X windows to do this? In the meantime I fixed X by reinstall
the old 1.2 glib, but XMMS (which is the cause of all this panic) must have
GLIB 1.3 or higher to ./configure itself and of course to compile.

Thanks!!

--
Stèfan Viljoen a. k. a. Rylan
http://home.intekom.com/rylan/

"We want you to be soldiers - deadly as long as you still have one arm or
one leg and you are still alive."
 - R. A. H. in "Starship Troopers"

------------------------------

From: Staffan Emren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: [Fwd: CDRECORD Problem with RH6.1 and Sony CRX145SBK]
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 11:20:49 +0200

Shyam Govardhan wrote:

> PS: I am using Tekram DC-315U SCSI Card

> Subject: CDRECORD Problem with RH6.1 and Sony CRX145SBK
> Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 21:16:37 +1000
> From: Shyam Govardhan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Hi there,
>
> I am trying to get CDRECORD to work the a Sony CRX145XBK CD-RW. The
> following message is produced while doing a dummy write:
>
> Writing  time:  382.103s
> Fixating...
> WARNING: Some drives don't like fixation in dummy mode.
> Fixating time:    0.012s
> cdrecord: fifo had 3677 puts and 3677 gets.
> cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 3567 times full, min fill was 93%.
>
> I am using X-CD-Roast Version 0.96x. X-CD-Roast just displays a message
> saying:
>
> "Some error occured. Please check process-output"
>
> I have attached the process output for your perusal.
>
> CDRECORD Version 1.9 produced the same message.
>
> I would greately appreciate it, if you could shed some light into this
> problem.
>
> Thanks
>
> - Shyam

-snip the rest-

This looks rather normal to me. The error message from cdrecord just
indicates that some drives may have troubles with fixating in dummy
mode. I guess the error message from X-CDroast arises from this warning,
and could be ignored. This is however only an educated guess, I have not
checked the docs or the source or anything like that.

My sugestion is that you try to write a cd for real, and see if it
works. After all, a CD-R disc today isn't much more than a dollar...
:-)   If it works OK, you can safely ignore the error message.

Best regards

Staffan Emren

------------------------------

From: "Ian Dichkovsky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kill -9 won't work!
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 12:32:32 -0700

(Sorry for bad English - its not my native)

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8nitjt$7l4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hi there,
>
> I have a process running on one of my servers that has obviously gone
> mad, so I wanted to kill it. But even kill -9 doesn't make it go away
> and it continues eating cpu time. Is there an alternative (low level)
> way of killing processes or do I have to reboot the server?

Maybe this process respawning.
For example - look in /etc/inittab
you 'll see a line like this
mgetty -respawn

if you kill it - it will run again after 1 minute

You must find in configuration files where this process starting
and what are command line parameteres.

Good Luck!

------------------------------

From: Staffan Emren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: If XWin hang, how to kill it
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 11:35:08 +0200

Jean-David Beyer-valinux wrote:

> Doug wrote:
>
> > "Marcus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Dear all,
> > >
> > > I am using Redhat 6.2.
> > > If my XWindows hang, but I am sure that other service are still running.
> > >
> > > So I don't want to re-boot my linux.
> > >
> > > How can I stop the XWindows and start again ?
> > > Also, if I just have 1 linux in the network, is it possible ?
> > >
> > The good ol' <Ctrl><Alt><BackSpace> usually works.
> >
> > Doug
>
> But not always. Sometimes it hangs so bad that <Ctrl><Alt><BackSpace> does
> nothing. If you are lucky, <Ctrl><Alt><F[1-6]> work. But they usually do not
> under these conditions. I had it just lock up completely with a 4-hour job
> running in the background. Luckily the CpuMem applet was running OK, so I
> could tell when the background job was done. I then gave up and pressed the
> panic button. This is a very rare problem. On two machines one of which I
> have been running since early 1998, and the other since near the beginning
> of this year, this has happened exactly once on each machine.

I've experienced this a few times (I suspect vmware or netscape to mess
things up), and I've managed to telnet into the machine (yes, it works
from a windows box as well, even though the windows telnet client
sucks), and either kill a number of processes, or restart the machine in
a clean manner, with proper unmounting of all partitions etc.

Staffan Emren

From: Simon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IPGateway with Caldera Open Linux 2.2
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 11:05:21 +0100