From: "andy james" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Woe is LILO
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 12:56:35 -0000

I did a similar thing and tried what you tried. In the end after booting
from a floppy, I uninstalled LILO then reinstalled LILO, ran /sbin/lilo and
all was well.
Not subtle but it worked!

HTH    Andy

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Reality Check - NY Times Article
From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 12:00:04 GMT

John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

' Free software and the Net are all about the elimination of choke-points.  I
' think that it is quite possible that they could produce large economic
' benefits to society without ever producing any Microsofts.  If this happens
' the media will declare them failures (if the media still exist, that is).

If Free software and the Net give me the ability to make enough money
to live on (modest life style, nothing exotic), then I will consider
the entire new paradigm to be wildly successful.

As for Microsofts, I think that the Redmond corporation is the last of
its kind.  I expect lots of small companies rather than one or two big
ones.

Ah, what do I know?

--
David Steuber | "Are you now, or have you ever been, a member
NRA Member    | of the NRA?" --- HUAC, 2004

Happiness is a SAAB Gripen <http://www.gripen.saab.se/> in the
garage, an FN-FAL in the safe, and an HK P7M8 on the hip.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Severe booting / filesystem problem
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 11:51:24 GMT

> > Get tomsrtbt-1.7.205 and use 'chroot /mnt /sbin/lilo' -Tom
>
> Tried that already, but I can't mount my /boot partition, so lilo
keels
> over and dies right away.

What happens when you try to mount /boot?

-Tom

Subject: Re: Is Mandrake Really Red Hat...
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 12:09:36 GMT

Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>   Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

> JK> > That's not true....
> JK> > The mandrake optimizes the system to i586 version, if you use the
> JK> > Mandrake RPM in Redhat, it might be problems.  But the reverse is OK
> JK>
> JK> which seems rather pointless since the classic pentium stopped being
> JK> produced nearly three years ago.
>
> There are *many* up and running *'486* systems around (I use one for a
> print server).  Some of us even have 'classic pentium' (or clones) as
> our desktops -- I am using a SuperSocket-7 mother board with a Cyrix
> P166+ processor on my home desktop.  I have a '486/50 Laptop.  And I
> use a Pentium Pro 200 as my office desktop at UMass.

ok so it's doubly pointless.  optimizing for speed on a pentium
classic is usually slightly harmful speedwise to running on any other
ia32 platform.  i486 are old but still in service.

depending on how i586 it is, the code may or may not run on the i486.
-mcpu=pentium would use the common ia32 subset of opcodes, but
arrange/schedule them for high speed on a classic pentium.
-march=pentium would allow i586 specific instructions.  in the former,
it would run on the i486, but slower than a generic compile.  in the
latter it may not run at all.

as for the pentiumpro, you've just lost performance.

i still think optimizing for i586 (as opposed to scheduling for i486
which runs well on i486, pentiumpro and reasonably well on pentium
classic) is rather dubious at best and actively harmful at worst.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 12:12:08 GMT

moonie;) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
> >In comp.os.linux.misc moonie;) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >: On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
> >:>In comp.os.linux.misc Kenneth Rorvik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >:>: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Johan Kullstam) wrote in
> >:>: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >:>There is also wastage due to the different memory alignment schemes,
> >:>but I don't think it will be nocicable going 586 to 686.
> >:>
> >:>You'd win again on a 787 architecture, though (:-).
> >
> >: If this argument is correct then why did GCC go to the PGCC code for the latest
> >
> >They didn't. What has happened is more complex than you are making out.
>
> According to the PGCC website with 2.95 GCC did go to the PGCC code.

yes, pgcc optimizations were incorporated back into gcc proper.  pgcc
gives a few extra rules and ways to assign costs.  but it doesn't mean
that gcc is hard wired to do "pgcc -march=pentium" at all times.  by
using different target options you get different weights for opcodes
and different constraints for combining them.  this is a red herring.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: "Stuart D. Gathman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: FTAPE 4.04a and Parallel Port Ditto Max
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 15:36:16 -0400

I have RedHat6.2 with kernel 2.2.16-3

The modules compile and install without error.

When I load the modules:

cd /lib/modules/2.2.16-3/misc
insmod ./ftape.o ft_fdc_driver=bpck-fdc,none,none,none
ft_tracings=3,3,3,3,3
insmod ./zftape.o ft_major_device_number=27 # ${27-FT_MAJOR}
modprobe parport || true # pre-2.1 kernels don't have the parport module
insmod ./bpck-fdc.o

I get these messages:

ftape v4.04a 07/25/2000

(c) 1993-1996 Bas Laarhoven
(c) 1995-1996 Kai Harrekilde-Petersen
(c) 1996-2000 Claus-Justus Heine <[EMAIL PROTECTED])

QIC-117 driver for QIC-40/80/3010/3020/Ditto 2GB/MAX floppy tape drives.
Compiled for Linux version 2.2.16-3 (UP).
installing QIC-117 floppy tape driver ...
ftape_init @ 0xc4079230.
bpck-fdc.c: bpck_fdc_register @ 0xc40bf664
parport0: detected irq 7; use procfs to enable interrupt-driven
operation.

When I try to use the tape:

# </dev/qft0
bash: /dev/qft0: Device not configured
# cat /proc/ftape/driver/drivers
Lowlevel fdc drivers registered with ftape

bpck-fdc -- Micro Solutions "Backpack" parallel port floppy tape drives

Drivers registered for device 0: bpck-fdc

Drivers registered for device 1:

Drivers registered for device 2:

Drivers registered for device 3:

# cat /proc/parport/0/hardware
base:   0x378
irq:    none
dma:    none
modes:  SPP,ECP,ECPPS2

What am I missing?

--
                        Stuart D. Gathman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      Business Management Systems Inc.  Phone: 703 591-0911 Fax: 703

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan)
Subject: Re: XWindow Managers
Date: 22 Aug 2000 12:20:23 GMT

root ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

[ I was fooling around with my windows settings and saw the 'desktop
[ switching
[ tool' and thought I'd see what it did.  I selected 'Another Level' and
[ it
[ starts up with a blank screen and only a term window.  NO MENUES.  I
[ can't
[ change back.  I looked in 3 different books I have and could not find
[ what file
[ or utility to use to reset it to GNOME.  Any suggestions.  I appreciate
[ any
[ help you can give.

if it's Mandrake (or RedHat) there's a command "desktopcfg" which you can
enter at the command line

but I don't think it "knows" or detects what WMs are available. I believe
GNOME is always there though, along with KDE

or use vi to edit .xinitrc and change the last line to exec gnome-session
(working from my 16M memory here ;-) anybody care to assist?)
---
jazz
Registered linux user no. 164098  +--+--+--+ Litestep user no. 386
Doesn't it bother you, that we have to search for intelligent life
--- OUT THERE??

------------------------------

From: Ryan Tarpine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Updating old OL 2.2
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 05:31:26 -0400

I just dusted off an old copy of OpenLinux 2.2.  What are some critical libs I
need to install, and in what order?  This distro was from mid-to-early last
year, I think, so I know that there had to have been many changes.

Thanks,
Ryan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: wavrec problem
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 13:02:16 GMT

I have discovered that sox/rec/play does not have the same problem and
I am abandoning wavrec/wavplay in favor of sox.

From: "Default User" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FTP message Question
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 13:34:29 GMT

Thanks for the info - what I'd really like it to say is "Anonymous FTP
access is not allowed" or something of that sort. I have disabled anonymous
access, however if you still attempt a login with username "ftp," it will
say Guest login ok... etc and then of course no matter what you put, it
denies access.

As far as functionality, everything is ok. I just don't like what the
message say - I would rather it be clear and say access not allowed.

Again thanks for the info.

Ryan

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Stephen Hui <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whats the best window manager?
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 08:51:19 -0500

> Not anymore.  Check out www.sun.com. :-)
>
> anm

That's right!  I completely forgot about that.  I'd read about it on
ZDNet last week, I think.  Thanks for reminding me!  And apparently, HP
and IBM have also jumped onto the same GNOME bandwagon (it's been a
looooong week for me....)

Then let me rephrase my original statement:

"P.S.--I'd stay away from CDE if I were you.  IMHO, there are so many
better window managers out there (like fvwm).  CDE can (probably) soon
be called 'legacy' software...."

:o)

Stephen.

--
Stephen Hui, ARL:UT, Austin, Texas

Computer Terms: Programmer - A red-eyed, mumbling mammal
capable of conversing with inanimate objects.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (noodlez)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: BIOS?
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 14:09:51 GMT

you *are* using the drivers @ http://developer.creative.com/linux/ ,
right?

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000 01:21:55 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm still struggling to get my Dell sound card (SB Live!) to work. I've
>tried everything, and I'm now about to recompile the kernel (for the
>first time in my life) Anyways, the sound card driver installation
>instructions require, amoung other things, that
><quote>
>"PnP-compatible OS installed" option in BIOS must be disabled.
></quote>
>
>What can I do to make sure this requirement is satisfied?
>
>Thanks a bunch!
>
>Wroot
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

noodlez :: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PGP / GPG key downloadable @ http://www.megahertz.net/pietrzak/gpg.ascii.pubkey.txt
        Fingerprint: 0EE8 0DBB EB08 C472 2EA4  27C1 93AF 0484 9A40 9D9D

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: My sound blaster live doesn't work! (mandrake 7.1)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 14:29:28 GMT

I'm using Mandrake 7.1, it recognizes my Sound Blaster Live Value sound
card, but I can't figure out how to make it work.  Any general
suggestions?  Let me know if you need more information.

From: Stephen Hui <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Best Linux Distribution
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:31:10 -0500

Cullmann wrote:

> Ok, it is no easy question, but which distribution is the best in your eyes.
> I search one that works well with GNOME.
>
> Thanks

Personally, I'm partial to RedHat.  Probably because that's the one I
"grew up" with.  As someone else noted, get HelixCode's GNOME
(http://www.helixcode.com/).  This is the best version of GNOME I've
seen/used.  And again, GNOME works pretty well with pretty much any
Linux distribution out there.

I also hear that Debian and Mandrake are very good.  I tried Caldera
OpenLinux a while ago, but I wasn't terribly impressed with it, although
the graphical install program was pretty slick (it lets you play Tetris
while it copies the files to your hard disk).  I don't know if the newer
versions still do that.  :oP

Hope this helps!  :o)
Stephen.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Morgan)
Subject: need serious help here... X hates me!
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 14:36:21 GMT

i have an SiS 6326 AGP card that doesnt seem to like xfree86 on redhat
6.1 when i start it up, it just gives me a black background ... it can
show the redhat logo if i start with XDM, but i only get text fields
if the cursor is active in them, and i only get buttons if i click on
it... AGP2x is disabled, everything else works fine, but i cant for
the life of me, get X to work :'(

i also have an RTL 8029(as) as well as an ne2k(?) isa card  (basically
two ne2k clones, but one is isa and one is PCI)   can i just make a
copy of the module?
i need someone to walk me through this... ICQ 18470844, or jakque51 on
AIM...

anyone?
please?

i will post my cfg's when i reboot to linux... thanks in advance!

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: pipe??
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 10:46:58 -0400

when I look for ipchains logging , I do the following

grep pppin /var/log/messages | more
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^     ^^^^^
Gets the data                           Program to see screen by screen or
by line .

The vertical line in between is the pipe thingy, which is the same as that
used for the OR operator in many languages , and depending on the keyboard,
can be in one of several plces.
HTH.

news:8nses2$mb5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 12:50:58 GMT

David Steuber writes:
> If Free software and the Net give me the ability to make enough money to
> live on (modest life style, nothing exotic), then I will consider the
> entire new paradigm to be wildly successful.

That which benefits society at large does not necessarily benefit every
individual.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

From: "Gero H. Marten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 16:31:14 +0200

> root wrote:
>
> I was fooling around with my windows settings and saw the 'desktop
> switching
> tool' and thought I'd see what it did.  I selected 'Another Level' and
> it
> starts up with a blank screen and only a term window.  NO MENUES.  I
> can't
> change back.  I looked in 3 different books I have and could not find
> what file
> or utility to use to reset it to GNOME.  Any suggestions.  I appreciate
> any
> help you can give.

What is a "desktop switching tool"? Never heard of it. I use SuSE 6.3
and do all configuration with my editor.

--
Gero

------------------------------

From: Ben Ritchie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: creating mpeg/animated gif (or other format...)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 15:49:50 +0100

Hi All

I would like to create a short movie sequence of some data, currently
stored as a number of 600x600 arrays but which can trivially be dumped
to disk as a sequence of static images (GIF, JPG or most other common
formats). What would be the simplest way to turn this into an
animation? I'm not really bothered about the format - mpeg and animated
GIF are the two that spring to mind, but as long as it can be replayed
with generally available software (i.e. nothing too obscure) under Linux
and Solaris I don't really care. Ideally this would be done internally,
but as the code is Fortran 77 I rather doubt suitable software is
available.

FWIW, I'm running Mandrake 7.0.

Ideas welcome. Many thanks,

Ben.