Linux-Misc Digest #526, Volume #25               Tue, 22 Aug 00 16:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Best way to learn "real world" skills? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: creating mpeg/animated gif (or other format...) (Dances With Crows)
  Hard Drive Has Shrunk (N/A)
  X Doesnt Want To Let Me In (N/A)
  pipes again?? (Davis Eric)
  So where is the performance analysis tools? (Neal Rhodes)
  Re: help on uid/gid of /dev/dsp ("Andrew N. McGuire ")
  Re: Whats the best window manager? (Stephen Hui)
  HELP ("River Storm")
  clock_gettime and clock_getres (Walid A. Majid)
  Re: Installing 2nd hard disk (Stewart Honsberger)
  Re: help on uid/gid of /dev/dsp (Arul)
  Re: So where is the performance analysis tools? (LFessen106)
  lilo make problems (Ryan Tarpine)
  Re: If XWin hang, how to kill it ("Stefan Viljoen")
  Re: need serious help here... X hates me! (Dances With Crows)
  Re: looking for linux compatible external modem (Ray)
  Re: Writing a Linux image over NFS with boot disk? (Dances With Crows)
  Re: So where is the performance analysis tools? (dpace)
  MC pissed me off! (Yura Kovalenko)
  Re: IPGateway with Caldera Open Linux 2.2 (Bob Hauck)
  Re: FTAPE 4.04a and Parallel Port Ditto Max (Bob Hauck)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Best way to learn "real world" skills?
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 17:01:35 GMT

Make friends with a *nix admin and have them do stuff to your network
s/he might run into during a normal day.  I know not everything can be
faked, but somethings can (stopped processes ect ect) But make sure he
(or she) doesnt tell you what he did or how to fix it.  Take it from
there....

to the marine guy, the AF taught me how to be a unix admin, : )

--Dave

In article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, MH quoth:
>
> ~~ Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 20:55:21 -0700
> ~~ From: MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> ~~ Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
> ~~ Subject: Best way to learn "real world" skills?
> ~~
> ~~ I've been using Linux for about a year and half--I have it
installed on
> ~~ 3 boxes on a home network--and am just becoming comfortable with
the
> ~~ basics. I would eventually like to move from my current position as
> ~~ Windows Network Administrator into a similar position in a Linux
> ~~ environment.
>
> Well, you could join the US Marine Corps, that is where I got started
> quite a while back.  I have a coworker who has been doing system
admin/C
> programming for 15 years after starting in the US Navy.. No, seriously
> you are in a tough situation.  But doing UNIX admin is a nice job if
> you really like it, it is like playing all day.
>
> ~~ There is NO chance we will be migrating to Linux at my job, since
all
> ~~ the software we use is donated by MS. I do not think I can master
all of
> ~~ the skills necessary to do this simply by reading and fiddling with
> ~~ 3-box network without any real users--it's just too artificial.
>
> Quite true, one way to get started is at an ISP.  ISP's are big on
> Linux, and love to hire relatively inexperienced, but highly motivated
> individuals..  I was a senior admin at an ISP for a while, and we
> were always looking for new guys to teach stuff to.  Don't be
> suprised if you get hired as a tape jockey at first though. Often
> times a brand new admin will get assigned the task of making sure
> the servers are backed up, adding user accounts, reading logs, and
> reporting errors.  Fairly trivial things at first (and this is
> not just for ISP's either).  If you stick with it though you will
> get to work with some interesting technologies and people will
> eventually start to come to you for help.   After a couple years
> doing that kind of stuff, you can consider your foot pretty much
> in the door, but the learning doesn't stop, EVER.
>
> ~~ I am considering taking a 5-day "boot camp" on Linux
Administration, but
> ~~ am concerned about the real benefits of such a short learning
period,
> ~~ even if taught by reputable and knowledgeable professionals in a
> ~~ hands-on environment.
>
> I am generally weary of such 'crash courses'.  Sometimes they do
> yield some good information, however more often than not, they are
> not worth the price.
>
> ~~ It seems I'm caught in a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation. Any
> ~~ suggestions based on your own experiences?
>
> Start with an ISP or University, work your way up the chain there,
> then once you REALLY have a handle on things, move out into the
> market where the real money can be made.  Just be aware, that
> UNIX admin can be a tiring job, but then again you already have
> done Windows admin, so I would hate to see what your pager looks
> like. ;^)
>
> anm

> ~ Andrew N.
McGuire                                                      ~
> ~
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                              ~
> ~ "Plan to throw one away; you will, anyhow." - Frederick P. Brooks,
Jr. ~

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: creating mpeg/animated gif (or other format...)
Date: 22 Aug 2000 17:19:58 GMT

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000 15:49:50 +0100, Ben Ritchie wrote:
>I would like to create a short movie sequence of some data, currently
>stored as a number of 600x600 arrays but which can trivially be dumped
>to disk as a sequence of static images (GIF, JPG or most other common
>formats). What would be the simplest way to turn this into an
>animation? I'm not really bothered about the format - mpeg and animated
>GIF are the two that spring to mind, but as long as it can be replayed
>with generally available software (i.e. nothing too obscure) under Linux
>and Solaris I don't really care. Ideally this would be done internally,
>but as the code is Fortran 77 I rather doubt suitable software is
>available.

That animated GIF approach will work, but the file size will be bloody
enormous.  It might be worth it to look at the Berkeley "mpeg_encode"
utility, which can transform a set of images into an MPEG.  The utility
is linked from http://freshmeat.net/ , and it's not hard to use...
probably quicker than going through all that folderol with the GIMP if
your animation has more than 20 frames!  Using the "high-quality"
options for PSEARCH_ALG and BSEARCH_ALG doesn't seem to add much to the
quality, and makes the encoding take forever, but using DECODED for the
reference frame helps a bit.  Good luck....

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Those who do not understand Unix are
http://www.brainbench.com     /   condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
=============================/           ==Henry Spencer

------------------------------

From: N/A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hard Drive Has Shrunk
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 17:29:28 GMT

upon the installation and un-installation of Mandrake Linux 7.0 i lost
some harddrive space where my hard drive now says 'HP Pavilion Local Disk
4.53 GB', the problem is i really have 6.1 GB and it isnt detecting the
other 1.5GB or so. how can i reclaim the disk space? can Partition Magic
help?

From: N/A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: X Doesnt Want To Let Me In
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 17:29:29 GMT

im running Mandrake Linux 7.0 and i have problems with it automatically
detecting my Intel(R) Graphics Chipset so i have to select 'Generic VGA
Compatible' at first.

Anyway i go into my config file in a text editor to select the right
statistics for my Graphics card and vertical and horizontal ranges. i then
try to get into linux and it has an error and doesnt let me in, instead it
keeps my at the non-graphical black screen and doesnt let me startX. i am
then stuck there and i cannot get into my desktop.

i then have to re-install linux to get back into it. what files can i edit
so that i can get into my x system or desktop and not be stuck at the
black login screen, and if i do get stuck what can i do from there in
order to fix things so i dont have to re-install it and try again?

From: Davis Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: pipes again??
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 17:32:05 GMT

Hi, there,

Fisrt of all, thank you for your advice on the usage of the pipes. But I
still can not solve my question gracefully.

My question is as follows. When you run a latex file, you will get
several files ending with .log .dvi .aux and others. Most often, the dvi
file is needed and then for outputting to ps file. I am think how to run
these series of actions through a pipe. The problem is that the output
of latex has not only dvi file but others. So, if I type in the
following way such as
latex filename |dvips -o output.ps
it will surely fail. How I have no clue on this. Although I have written
a small C program together with a small shell script to solve this, and
although I had solved this, but I think there must be some simpler way
to do this.

Especially, when the output of the first command has more information
than necessary, how to filter the needed information and then use pipes?

Thanks in advance.

Davis

--
I do not feel shameful if I was and am an idiot; I
will feel shameful if I haven't realized it.

Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 13:42:22 -0400
From: Neal Rhodes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: So where is the performance analysis tools?

I'm somewhat new to managing big linux systems and I'm really missing
the info I used to get from SAR on unix systems.

Where do I find out:
A. what is the activity level and i/o performance of each drive in
my system?

B. Please list the processes that are taking the most memory.  List
them in order.

Aside from vmstat, which doesn't tell much, what is there?

Neal Rhodes                       MNOP Ltd                     (770)-
972-5430
President                Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247             Fax:
978-4741
                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                          http://www.mnopltd.com/

------------------------------

From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help on uid/gid of /dev/dsp
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 12:43:00 -0500

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Arul quoth:

~~ Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 15:42:46 GMT
~~ From: Arul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
~~ Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
~~ Subject: help on uid/gid of /dev/dsp
~~
~~ Does anyone know how to setup permissions on sound devices like
~~ /dev/dsp /dev/audio /dev/sequencer
~~
~~ All the permissions of these devices are set to "rw" to
~~ the first user (user) logs in as below...
~~
~~ crw-------   1 user     root      14,   3 Apr 30  1999 dsp
~~ crw-------   1 user     root      14,   1 Apr 30  1999 sequencer
~~
~~ I would like it to be rw for all users so anyone can
~~ use the sound devices... like below
~~
~~ crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root      14,   1 Apr 30  1999 sequencer

chmod 666 /dev/dsp /dev/sequencer

From: Stephen Hui <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whats the best window manager?
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 13:11:03 -0500

> > You would think that, but I haven't really seen it make a difference on
> > my K6-2.  It's still a touch faster than KDE.
>
> That's because KDE isn't a window manager...
> It's a layer sitting on top if kwm (the K Window Manager).

I stand corrected.

--
Stephen Hui, ARL:UT, Austin, Texas

Computer Terms: Programmer - A red-eyed, mumbling mammal
capable of conversing with inanimate objects.

------------------------------

From: "River Storm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 13:16:27 -0500

When I got my thinkpad it had a 1 GB partition reserve for an alternative OS
(no filesystem) and the rest a FAT32 partition for Windows.   I installed
Red Hat 6.2 by booting from the CD.  It asked me installation questions like
mouse, keybd, etc.  When it asked me where to install Linux, the dialog box
displayed only the FAT32 partition.  The help says to type "/" to install.
I completed the installation but where did it put it??  It's not in the 1 GB
partition I wanted to install it in. I know this because I used partition
magic to wipe out the 1 GB partition after the installation.   I can run RH
by booting from a floppy (LILO not installed) and it works fine.    My
questions is.

1.  Where is RH6.2 in my notebook?
2.  How do I uninstall it if it's in the FAT32 partion?
4.  How do I install LILO for a dual boot?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Walid A. Majid)
Subject: clock_gettime and clock_getres
Date: 22 Aug 2000 18:17:21 GMT

i would like to use the posix calls clock_gettime and clock_getres,
however, it looks like the two calls are not compatible as advertised.

clock_getres gives back the resolution and on a couple of systems i have
tested this gives me 1000 ns.

on the other hand i can read clock_gettime with at least a factor of 4
better resolution. that is if i have a tight loop where i continuosly call
clock_gettime, i can see that the time value i get back is incremented each
time by about 270 ns or so.

does anyone know why the two pair work this way. how is the clock_gettime
gets implemented. if it is running off the cpu clock, then it ought to have
a much better resolution. if it is running off a 1000 ns timer, then it
should be "ticking" every 1000 ns.

thanks in advance for any help.

walid

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stewart Honsberger)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Installing 2nd hard disk
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 18:24:09 GMT

On 22 Aug 2000 08:58:29 GMT, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
>: It has everything to do with the state of the disk. Your argument supporting
>: re-booting after using fdisk was based on having a mounted partition on the
>: drive.
>
>Which has nothing to do with the disk, and everything to do with the
>person mounting the disk! He's making the partitions precisely in
>order to mount them in the future. I wasn't going to spend time telling
>him when in the future he could and could not mount them.

So instead of telling him the proper way to do things, you give him a band-
aid solution. If this person does do things the way you suggest and does
each partition one at a time, he'll be re-booting his system about half a
dozen times or so!

You talk about wasted time and energy telling the guy how to do it properly,
yet you spend all this time telling everybody about the one extreme case where
the guy could possibly damage his partition table?

I've written out complete instructions for somebody to add a 2nd HDD in about
30 lines or so. I reference man pages, and the occasional HOWTO for further
assistance.

People often complain about Usenet not being a helpful, worthwhile place
to ask for assistance; and even you complained (removed from this quote)
about message quoting etiquette!

Usenet can only be a valid source of information if people give helpful,
worthy, straight-forward information rather than complaining and quoting
could-be's and what-if's.

In a word, sir, your response was the furthest thing from helpful; and
the closest thing to further the Usenet stereotypes of worthless responses
that lead to arguments and/or flame-fests that deter from the original
topic at hand.

--
Stewart Honsberger (AKA Blackdeath) @ http://tinys.cx/blackdeath
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  (Remove 'thirteen' to reply privately)

------------------------------

From: Arul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 18:21:58 GMT

In article <Pine.LNX.4.21.0008221242140.4169-
[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Arul quoth:
>
> ~~ Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 15:42:46 GMT
> ~~ From: Arul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> ~~ Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
> ~~ Subject: help on uid/gid of /dev/dsp
> ~~
> ~~ Does anyone know how to setup permissions on sound devices like
> ~~ /dev/dsp /dev/audio /dev/sequencer
> ~~
> ~~ All the permissions of these devices are set to "rw" to
> ~~ the first user (user) logs in as below...
> ~~
> ~~ crw-------   1 user     root      14,   3 Apr 30  1999 dsp
> ~~ crw-------   1 user     root      14,   1 Apr 30  1999 sequencer
> ~~
> ~~ I would like it to be rw for all users so anyone can
> ~~ use the sound devices... like below
> ~~
> ~~ crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root      14,   1 Apr 30  1999 sequencer
>
> chmod 666 /dev/dsp /dev/sequencer
>
> anm

~~
> ~ Andrew N.
McGuire                                                      ~
> ~
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                              ~
> ~ "Plan to throw one away; you will, anyhow." - Frederick P. Brooks,
Jr. ~
~~

> chmod 666 /dev/dsp /dev/sequencer
This is what I have been doing after every loggin
but would like a permanent solution though. It reverts
back in the next reboot/login.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (LFessen106)
Date: 22 Aug 2000 18:47:19 GMT
Subject: Re: So where is the performance analysis tools?

>Aside from vmstat, which doesn't tell much, what is there?

top

Try it you'll like it!
-Linc.

------------------------------

From: Ryan Tarpine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: lilo make problems
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 13:49:18 -0400

I'm trying to compile the newest version of lilo so I can boot -- without the
installation disk -- my partition past the 1024th cylinder.  However, when I
type make, I get

<ERRORS>
cc -E check-config.cpp `( if [ -r $ROOT/etc/lilo.defines ]; then cat
$ROOT/etc/lilo.defines; else echo -DM386 -DIGNORECASE -DVARSETUP -DREWRITE_TABLE
-DONE_SHOT -DVERSION; fi ) | sed 's/-D/-DLCF_/g'` `[ -r /usr/include/asm/boot.h ] &&
echo -DHAS_BOOT_H` >/dev/null
as86 -0 -a -w -l temp2.lis -o temp2.o temp2.s
00806 0363           74           00>           toNull: je      near null       !
cursor control
*****                                                                ^junk after
operands
01471 07FB           72           00>                   jb      near doload
*****                                                                ^junk after
operands
*****                                                           ^unbound label
*****                                                                ^junk after
operands
01471 07FB           72           00                    jb      near doload
*****                                                                ^junk after
operands
*****                                                                ^unbound label

00004 errors
00000 warnings
make: *** [temp2.o] Error 1
rm temp2.o
</ERRORS>

What's going on?  I tried installing the newest as86 but it didn't make any
difference.

Ryan

------------------------------

From: "Stefan Viljoen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: If XWin hang, how to kill it
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 11:54:20 +0200

Marcus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Dear all,
>
> I am using Redhat 6.2.
> If my XWindows hang, but I am sure that other service are still running.

I had this situation too - I used to set up a reboot script with the 'at'
command about five minutes after I entered X - if my latest videomode /
screen experiment worked, I would just exit and cancel the queued at
command. Otherwise I take a walk and when I come back my system has shut
down and rebooted normally.

--
Stèfan Viljoen a. k. a. Rylan
http://home.intekom.com/rylan/

"We want you to be soldiers - deadly as long as you still have one arm or
one leg and you are still alive."
 - R. A. H. in "Starship Troopers"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: need serious help here... X hates me!
Date: 22 Aug 2000 19:15:48 GMT

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000 14:36:21 GMT, Scott Morgan wrote:
>i have an SiS 6326 AGP card that doesnt seem to like xfree86 on redhat
>6.1 when i start it up, it just gives me a black background ... it can
>show the redhat logo if i start with XDM, but i only get text fields
>if the cursor is active in them, and i only get buttons if i click on
>it... AGP2x is disabled, everything else works fine, but i cant for
>the life of me, get X to work :'(

There have been so many problems with that card that it's just not
funny.  Have you tried using Xfree86 3.3.6, since RH 6.1 shipped with
3.3.5?  SiS cards are generally so cheap and nasty that I strongly
advise people not to buy them.

http://xfree86.org/3.3.6/RELNOTES.html
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mhgraham/UpgradeXfree.html

>i also have an RTL 8029(as) as well as an ne2k(?) isa card  (basically
>two ne2k clones, but one is isa and one is PCI)   can i just make a
>copy of the module?
>i need someone to walk me through this...

Huh?  Read the HOWTOs, don't rely on gurus, for gurus are not always
going to be around to answer your questions, and *certainly* not in real
time.  The relevant information is located at the Linux Documentation
Project:

http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Ethernet-HOWTO.html
http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Net-HOWTO.html

The 8029, since it's a PCI card, uses the ne2k-pci module, while the ISA
card uses the ne module.  You would put the following lines in
/etc/conf.modules:

alias eth0 ne2k-pci
alias eth1 ne
options ne io=0xXXX irq=Y

Replace XXX and Y with the I/O and IRQ values you've set the NE2000 to.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray)
Subject: Re: looking for linux compatible external modem
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 19:18:00 GMT

On Sun, 20 Aug 2000 06:52:20 GMT, M. Buchenrieder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hypnotist) writes:
>
>>but once the connection established,
>>communication between the computer and modem stuck.  it displayed "~ >q",
>>and nothing could be done from there.  even "+++" wouldn't work.
>>also tested with a DOS box, same result.

Any chance his ISP is going right into PPP mode (in other words it's working
perfectly).

--
Ray

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Writing a Linux image over NFS with boot disk?
Date: 22 Aug 2000 19:24:59 GMT

[posted and mailed]
On Tue, 22 Aug 2000 07:17:46 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>I am looking for a means of writing a previously dd'd hard drive image (ie I
>have called 'dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/nfs/file bs=1024' to write the file to an
>NFS share), via NFS through the use of a boot disk, to a new system. OK I can
>probably create a boot disk to do this if I read through the bootdisk-howto
>(I want to virtually stick a disk in a drive, turn the computer on, and have
>it automatically put the Linux OS AND all settings and custom scripts on
>there AND install LILO, without any user intervention if possible).
>First thing: has this been done before? I don't want to reinvent the wheel...
>Second thing: a major complexity I can see is that when I 'dd if=/nfs/file
>of=/dev/hda1 bs=1024', It will write the partition as-is to the new drive,
>and I would prefer the partition size to be dynamically allocated, and to be
>able to set up a seperate swap partition as well. I have never done much
>Linux programming so am not sure the best way of doing this...I know that
>partition magic 5.x includes some form of support for resizing Linux
>partitions (from inside Linux too!) - this might help?

If you want the partition size to be dynamically allocated, you're
probably going to need human input at some point, and you *WON'T* be
able to use dd to do what you desire.  The boot disk will have to fdisk
the drive (actually, sfdisk the drive, as fdisk can't be used
non-interactively), then mount the filesystem you wish to copy via NFS
and transfer files via cp, tar, or cpio.  (dd will not cut it, as dd
performs a sector-by-sector copy, which is usually useful, but very
limiting in this case.)  After the filesystem(s) are transferred, the
boot disk would have to mount the root partition of the hard drive
somewhere (like /mnt) and "chroot /mnt /sbin/lilo".  Reboot and go.  The
hard part, I'd think, involves fdisking....

Have you seen RedHat's "KickStart"?  I believe it will do something
similar to what you want--there's a HOWTO at
http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/KickStart-HOWTO.html

>Any help from anyone could be appreciated! I will try to keep an eye on the
>list but please CC any replies to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Don't mangle your From: line if you wish to receive CCs, eh?

From: dpace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 18:44:50 +0000

Neal Rhodes wrote:

> I'm somewhat new to managing big linux systems and I'm really missing
> the info I used to get from SAR on unix systems.
>
> Where do I find out:
> A. what is the activity level and i/o performance of each drive in
> my system?
>
> B. Please list the processes that are taking the most memory.  List
> them in order.
>
> Aside from vmstat, which doesn't tell much, what is there?

> Neal Rhodes                       MNOP Ltd                     (770)-
> 972-5430
> President                Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247             Fax:
> 978-4741
>                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>                          http://www.mnopltd.com/

Here are some tools:
http://home.xnet.com/~blatura/linapp1.html#sysad

Also, sar exists and I have it. But, freshmeat is down right
now. Search for it there, when they come back up:
http://www.freshmeat.net

--
David Pace - Free commodity/stock graphing software
and Linux links at http://www.daveware.com

------------------------------

From: Yura Kovalenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MC pissed me off!
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 19:56:39 GMT

 Hi!
Is it a well know bug that MC does never remmeber my setting to not to
show Hidden files?
I do save Setup and everything. But after couple of restarts, it's back
with all my home directory crawded with ugly dot files!

 Any ideas?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: IPGateway with Caldera Open Linux 2.2
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 20:06:01 GMT

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000 11:05:21 +0100, Simon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> What about _from_ Linux?  Did you use IP addresses or names?
>ping from linux just fine...

Er, you didn't answer the first part, for either Linux or the network
machines.  It's kinda important.  Anyway, the problem isn't pppd, so
here are some more things to check.  Feel free to do any subset:

Verify that your ipchains setup really is exactly as stated in the
documentation you have.

Verify that your Windows machines have your ISP's name server as their
default DNS and the Linux machine as their default gateway.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: FTAPE 4.04a and Parallel Port Ditto Max
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 20:09:04 GMT

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 15:36:16 -0400, Stuart D. Gathman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have RedHat6.2 with kernel 2.2.16-3

I have Caldera 2.4 with 2.2.14.

>bpck-fdc.c: bpck_fdc_register @ 0xc40bf664
>parport0: detected irq 7; use procfs to enable interrupt-driven
>operation.

In /etc/modules.conf, I had to put:

options parport_pc io=0x378,0x278 irq=7,auto

in order to get my Ditto Max to work right.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.