Linux-Misc Digest #532, Volume #25               Wed, 23 Aug 00 06:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: HELP (Davide Bianchi)
  Can't type 'backtick' in JOE editor (Mihaly Gyulai)
  Re: Parallel printer not recognized. ("David ..")
  Re: missing man page (?) (Shaun)
  Linux 6.2 professional at a reasonable price. ("Peter H.M. Brooks")
  Re: Linux 6.2 professional at a reasonable price. ("Mel")
  Re: FYA - Parody: Microsoft Pie (The Day the Servers Died) (Mike Van Pelt)
  Re: Whats the best window manager? (Matthias Arndt)
  Re: why suid'ed shutdown refuses to run? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  crypt command (jose luis fernandez diaz)
  Re: Linux 6.2 professional at a reasonable price. (Davide Bianchi)
  Re: The source code of setlocale (News User)
  Re: missing man page (?) (Andreas Kahari)
  Re: PHP - database driven web development ("Andy Hill")
  Re: Severe booting / filesystem problem (Jonathan McBrien)
  How do you pronounce GNOME?
  writing into the /proc filesystem (Vijay Lakamraju)
  Re: Firewall for Linux (Ian Linwood)
  WebSense equivalent filtering software for linux ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: If XWin hang, how to kill it ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: marking 'bad' sectors? (M. Buchenrieder)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Davide Bianchi)
Subject: Re: HELP
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 06:17:45 GMT

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000 13:16:27 -0500, "River Storm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>When I got my thinkpad it had a 1 GB partition reserve for an alternative OS
>(no filesystem)

No filesystem, but what kind of partition ???

>and the rest a FAT32 partition for Windows.   I installed
>Red Hat 6.2 by booting from the CD.  It asked me installation questions like
>mouse, keybd, etc.  When it asked me where to install Linux, the dialog box
>displayed only the FAT32 partition.

I think that this is the answer: you installed Linux into the existing
Fat32 partition...

>1.  Where is RH6.2 in my notebook?
>2.  How do I uninstall it if it's in the FAT32 partion?

Hummm... look for some "weird" directory and delete them.

>4.  How do I install LILO for a dual boot?

I suggest you to remove the empty partition, then re-install Linux
putting it into the empty-unpartitioned space. Pay attention that the
empty partition is below 1024 cyl.
See the documentation about LILO for a dual boot, but the modern
distribution automatically recognize other software and setup the
configuration accordly.

Davide

------------------------------

From: Mihaly Gyulai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't type 'backtick' in JOE editor
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 06:09:31 GMT

   Anyone using JOE editor? I can't type a 'backtick' char... :(
   When I press the 'backtick', it says: Ctrl - (or 0-9 for dec. ...)

   I remember that some time it worked.

   System: Debian 2.1 Linux

--
Mihaly Gyulai
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Parallel printer not recognized.
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 01:26:55 -0500

Peter Cheung wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> RH Linux 6.1
> P133
> 64MB Ram
> Epson 740
> 2 NIC cards eth0 (int 11) and eth1 (int 10)
>
> tried to add a new printer using printtool
> but after clicking on 'Add', printtool comes back
> and tells me that it cannot find a printer
> in /dev/lp0, lp1 nor lp2. The printer is connected
> and turned on. The printer cable is fine. I have two
> sets of cables which worked with a PII system running
> WinNT 4.0.
>
> CMOS setting printer is set at SSP, and
> Interrupt 7: tried ISA and PCI PnP as well as
> Legacy ISA but still no go.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance

Add this line to /etc/conf.modules and then try it again.

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538

------------------------------

From: Shaun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: missing man page (?)
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 06:34:36 GMT

In article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Neil
Zanella <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to look at a man page but something is going wrong.
> Given this information how do I look at the dirname man page in section
> 3?
> Is the man page missing or is it part of a man page with a different
> name?
> (BTW man 1 dirname brings up a page but not the one I wanted) Any ideas?
>
> [nzanella@tulip nzanella]$ man -k dirname
> dirname              (1)  - strip non-directory suffix from file name
> dirname [File::Basename] (3)  - extract just the directory from a path
> [nzanella@tulip nzanella]$ man 3 dirname
> No entry for dirname in section 3 of the manual
> [nzanella@tulip nzanella]$ echo $MANPATH
> /usr/lib/qt-2.1.0/man:/usr/local/maple/man:/usr/man:/usr/X11R6/man:/usr/li
> b/perl5/man:/usr/kerberos/man:/usr/local/man

I'm running RH 6.0 and I don't have an entry for dirname in section 3
either, though man -k gives a reference for me also. Odd. However, if
you're looking for a usage example, the following bit of code works
properly for me:

//begin
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main(void)

{
char path[] = "/home/user/test.file";
char testing[100];
printf("path is %s\n", path);
sprintf(testing, (dirname(path)));
printf("testing is %s\n", testing);
return;
}
//end

gcc gave me a warning about making a pointer from type int without
casting, but the code worked fine regardless. As expected, the output is:

path is /home/user/test.file
testing is /home/user

HTH

Shaun

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (remove mypants to email me) | http://www.shaunc.com/
Operations and Support, Host with the Most | http://www.hostwiththemost.net/

------------------------------

From: "Peter H.M. Brooks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
za.local.cape-town,soc.culture.south-africa,linux.redhat.install,alt.os.linux
Subject: Linux 6.2 professional at a reasonable price.
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 08:43:26 +0200

I am sorry, but I am not selling it!

I would like to get a copy of Redhat Linux 6.2 professional and see that
Redhat is selling it at $179.95 - quite a lot for something that is free,
but
still it is convenient and they are providing support.

In Cape Town all I can find is Incredible Connection selling exactly the
same package at R1699.99. That is 10 times the dollar price!

This isn't really a surprise. We all know that 'Incredible Connection' is
a terrible rip-off who provide dreadful service and don't care about
their customers (look at http://www.hellopeter.com for evidence).

I am keen to buy as little as possible - preferably nothing from
them ever again.

So, where can I get a copy of this? I would rather get it in
Cape Town and I would like to pay a sensible price, maybe
somewhere around R1180 - which would be more like
a good price for somebody making a reasonable profit.

Any advice gratefully received!

--
Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as
you. - 'Death by Water' T.S. Eliot.

------------------------------

From: "Mel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
za.local.cape-town,soc.culture.south-africa,linux.redhat.install,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux 6.2 professional at a reasonable price.
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 09:03:37 +0200

"Peter H.M. Brooks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8nvrt4$ifu$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I would like to get a copy of Redhat Linux 6.2 professional and see that
> Redhat is selling it at $179.95 - quite a lot for something that is free,
> but still it is convenient and they are providing support.
http://www.redhat.com/apps/commerce/redhatlinux.html
Did you notice that that version is marked:
NOT FOR EXPORT
Not for export to, or sale to a national of, any country other than the U.S.
and Canada, pursuant to U.S. law.

It seems the best you can purchase is the Deluxe at $79.95

> In Cape Town all I can find is Incredible Connection selling exactly the
> same package at R1699.99. That is 10 times the dollar price!
That must be a non-legal version. They are breaking the embargo.

> This isn't really a surprise. We all know that 'Incredible Connection' is
> a terrible rip-off who provide dreadful service and don't care about
> their customers (look at http://www.hellopeter.com for evidence).
I agree.

> So, where can I get a copy of this? I would rather get it in
> Cape Town and I would like to pay a sensible price, maybe
> somewhere around R1180 - which would be more like
> a good price for somebody making a reasonable profit.
Seems that you will have to ask Redhat directly why the US has a export
restriction on the product. Maybe that has been relaxed.

I wouldn't advise pirating - it's just not right.
--
Mel's new supersonic design

---oo-O-oo---
(Crash and burn!)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Van Pelt)
Crossposted-To: rec.music.filk,alt.2600,rec.humor
Subject: Re: FYA - Parody: Microsoft Pie (The Day the Servers Died)
Date: 23 Aug 2000 07:02:54 GMT

In article <8nmeun$4io$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Microsoft Pie - To the tune of "American Pie" by Don McClean

Marvelous!  Good stuff.

>I can't remember if I cried
>When I read about Win NT "5", (1)
>But management made me take the ride
>The day the servers died.

I keep trying to fend this off at work...

--
Yes, I am the last man to have walked on the moon,    | Mike Van Pelt
and that's a very dubious and disappointing honor.    | [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Matthias Arndt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whats the best window manager?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 20:08:29 +0200

Peter T. Breuer wrote:
> Database <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : Whats the best window manager?
>
> What's the most idiotic question asked by people who don't think what
> their question means before asking?
>
> Have you any criteria, or will "the pinkest" suffice as an answer?
>
> Peter

You could try: KDE, Gnome (both being complete Desktops)

As a plain windowmanager, I'd suggest either AfterStep or IceWM. But FVWM
is also quite nice.

Search your CD Set for one of these or take a look at www.freshmeat.net and
search for "windowmanagers".

Matthias
 --

... Original mail by Matthias Arndt
    IMPORTANT: Mail any replies to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: why suid'ed shutdown refuses to run?
Date: 23 Aug 2000 07:20:32 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: In article <8ntflj$vrr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
:   "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
:> : If the script is SUID, we just souldn't allow anyone to modify it.
:> : How can one replace the script with arbitrary commands?
:>
:> Link tricks, if you must know.

: You're getting real concise! What is this "link trick"?

Linking to the suid script and changing the link just after the system
has checked that it's supposed to execute it and just before it does.
Or variants n-degrees removed.

:> Personally I'm more worried about env vars and special character
:> interpretations.

: How about some examples?

Check rootshell.org or read your bash manpages!

From: jose luis fernandez diaz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: crypt command
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 07:07:27 +0000

Hi,

I have RH6.2 but it don't have the crypt command.

Where can I get the crypt command for Linux ?

Thanks in advance,
Jose Luis.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Davide Bianchi)
Crossposted-To:
za.local.cape-town,soc.culture.south-africa,linux.redhat.install,alt.os.linux
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 07:48:21 GMT

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000 09:03:37 +0200, "Mel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Seems that you will have to ask Redhat directly why the US has a export
>restriction on the product. Maybe that has been relaxed.

Probabily because the "professional" version contains some
cryptografic functions that are considered "weapons" by the
US law. So, restricted for the export.

Davide

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (News User)
Subject: Re: The source code of setlocale
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 02:56:52 -0500

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000 04:39:28 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Does anyone know where I can get the source code of setlocale for Linux
>or Unix.

On my RedHat 6.1 system, it is in the "glibc" source subdirectory. You'll
need to get the source to your version of glibc.

John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Kahari)
Date: 23 Aug 2000 10:07:45 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Neil Zanella  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am trying to look at a man page but something is going wrong.
>Given this information how do I look at the dirname man page in section 3?
>Is the man page missing or is it part of a man page with a different name?
>(BTW man 1 dirname brings up a page but not the one I wanted) Any ideas?
>
>[nzanella@tulip nzanella]$ man -k dirname
>dirname              (1)  - strip non-directory suffix from file name
>dirname [File::Basename] (3)  - extract just the directory from a path
>[nzanella@tulip nzanella]$ man 3 dirname
>No entry for dirname in section 3 of the manual
>[nzanella@tulip nzanella]$ echo $MANPATH
>/usr/lib/qt-2.1.0/man:/usr/local/maple/man:/usr/man:/usr/X11R6/man:/usr/lib/perl5/man:/usr/kerberos/man:/usr/local/man
>
>Thanks,
>
>Neil

Try this:

$ perldoc File::Basename

This gives the manual for the Perl module called "File::Basename"
which describes 'dirname' in Perl. This was the manual referred to by
your 'man -k' command.

You could also try

$ man File::Basename

This works on my Debian system but is not the recomended way to read
Perl manuals.

/A

--
# Andreas Kähäri, <URL:http://hello.to/andkaha/>.
# ...brought to you from Uppsala, Sweden.

------------------------------

From: "Andy Hill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PHP - database driven web development
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 08:42:59 +0100

Hi
localhost/htdocs/test.php3  is not actually a valid URL as htdocs is
supposed to be the document root and therefore invisible.

If localhost/test.php3 doesn't work the installation is probably not
correct.

Re-check the installation, remember to restart Apache after the php3 module
has been added.

www.php.org is a good source for installation instructions as is
www.apache.org

Sorry I can't be more specific but I have never done a RH+Apache+PHP3
install and the installations can be quite different between distros.

Regards
Andy Hill
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: Jonathan McBrien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Severe booting / filesystem problem
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 08:09:04 GMT

In article <8ntpfn$5al$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> What happens when you try to mount /boot?

I mentioned that in my first message, but I'll repeat it for you here:

"mount /dev/hda9 /boot
results in:

EXT2-fs: 03:09: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional
features. mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda9,
      or too many mounted file systems"

Thanks,
- Jonathan

# Jonathan McBrien
# jonathan  [at]  m c b r i e n  [d0t]  0rg
# Tragically, children are growing up who'll
# never see a Guru Meditation number.

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How do you pronounce GNOME?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 08:29:38 GMT

1. Is it gnome, like the man who sits by your pond.  OR
2. Is it Gee-Nome, as in the human gnome project. OR
3. Is it pronounced similar to GNU, like Gu-Nome.

Any Ideas?

From: Vijay Lakamraju <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: writing into the /proc filesystem
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 02:08:04 -0400

Hi Folks,
   I need to write to the virtual address space  of processes and
to the physical memory. I realise one way you can
do it is through the /proc filesystem, more specifically the files
/proc/<pid>/mem and /proc/kcore.
    While I am able to correctly read variables at certain addresses
in the virtual space of processes, I am not able to write to the
files even as root and even when they have write permissions.

I used the system call write() to write to certain locations but
it refuses to write even though I could successfully read() from that
location. Am I missing something here?

Thanks for any help,
Vijay

--
Architecture and Real-time Lab
310 Knowles Engg. Bldg.

------------------------------

From: Ian Linwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Firewall for Linux
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 09:50:46 +0100

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000 21:40:24 -0700, "Peter Cheung"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>You will need two
>NICs;

You need two interfaces, not NIC's
ie. eth0 and ppp0

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: WebSense equivalent filtering software for linux ?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 09:34:16 GMT

Greetings,

Does anyone know if WebSense equivalent filtering software available on
Linux platform? I am thinking of setting up a proxy server using linux
but need internet access filtering software.

TIA

Eric

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: If XWin hang, how to kill it
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 10:03:37 +0100

Stefan Viljoen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> Marcus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I am using Redhat 6.2.
>> If my XWindows hang, but I am sure that other service are still running.

> I had this situation too - I used to set up a reboot script with the 'at'
> command about five minutes after I entered X - if my latest videomode /
> screen experiment worked, I would just exit and cancel the queued at
> command. Otherwise I take a walk and when I come back my system has shut
> down and rebooted normally.

Rebooted??? Just to kill an X server?
Rather wastefull, that. Killall X should be all you need, and at least then
you still have a working system (Virtual Consoles).

|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   | "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste!         |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)|  I can SMELL!!!  KRYTEN!!! Unpack Rachel and    |
|            in            |  get out the puncture repair kit!"              |
|     Computer Science     |     Arnold Judas Rimmer- Red Dwarf              |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: marking 'bad' sectors?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 06:12:43 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

[...]

>Not... quite...
>You can remount a partition read-only and THEN perform fsck -c -y.
>(-y speeds things up when it gets to filesystem cleanup)

Not if it's the root partition - which may or may not be the case.

:-)

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu