From: "Ingemar Lundin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux vs. Windows 9x/NT
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 00:17:47 GMT

Old news!

For us beeing around a while remembers Bill Gates old saying ; "a PC on
every desktop, and Windows on every PC"

Shure cant blame him for trying, hell -thats pure business!

/IL

------------------------------

From: Ryan Tarpine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Aww, man!  !  ! ! !!!!!!!
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 20:16:34 -0400

scott wrote:

> hmph... im writing this from the kdenews util inside gnome... but i cant get
> above 640x480 @ 8bpp ... i have the following options for my card
> Option  "no_bitblt"
> Option  "no_accel"
> Option  "sw_cursor"
> Option  "fast_vram"
> Option  "no_imageblt"
> dacspeed 135
>
> :o(

What is the card?

------------------------------

From: Duane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Disk clone - almost
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 16:21:38 -0700

jeff wrote:

> For yucks, and for backup, I wrote a simple script to clone my harddisk.
> The disk has several partitions, all ext2 (except for swap). A slightly
> simplified version of the script follows: (live disk is /dev/hda and backup
> is /dev/hdb - hdb has partition structure identical to hda's - fstab mounts
> hda2 on /usr)
>
>   #---- start of script ----
>   mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt
>   rsync -a --exclude "proc/" --exclude "usr/" --exclude "mnt/" /* /mnt
>   mkdir /mnt/proc
>   mkdir /mnt/usr
>   mkdir /mnt/mnt
>   umount /mnt
>
>   mount /dev/hdb2 /mnt
>   rsync -a /usr/* /mnt
>   umount /mnt
>
>   #...other partitions backed up here
>
>   dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=512 count=1
>   #---- end of script ----
>
> Well, much to my astonishment, this basically works - X, network, samba,
> VMware, the works. Two questions, though...
>
> 1. I thought that the "dd" would copy the mbr such that the clone (hdb)
> could be booted (rejumpered as hda, of course).  It apparently did not,
> since I got "LI" and had to boot from a floppy and run lilo - then, I could
> boot directly from the clone hard disk.  IS THERE SOMETHING I CAN PUT IN THE
> SCRIPT TO BUILD A BOOTABLE MBR?
>
> 2. Could my technique have caused some lurking problem that I may not see
> for a while?  I can see no obviously suspect boot messages and, as I
> mentioned, everything seems ok.  ANY OTHER "HEALTH CHECKS" THAT I CAN DO?
>
> Debian/potato, BTW - not that that should matter.
>
> -jeff

Well, a couple of comments. There was no point in making partitions and
directories on hdb, because your dd command overwrote them. Also, bs=512
is way small and I would expect that to cause the copy to take a long
time. If using dd on disks, I typically use bs=65536.

Are you using identical disks? If so, here is what I do:
# cp /dev/hda /dev/hdb
Does the same thing as dd. cp understands that I am referencing raw disk
devices rather than file systems, and behaves correctly. I did not
partition the disk prior to the copy. This copied my MBR, extended
partitions, Linux partitions, swap partition, and Windoze partitions,
and the resulting disk boots and runs just like the original one. As I
recall, it took me 35 minutes to copy a 20G disk.

The fact that your copy did not initially boot makes me wonder whether
they really were identical, because if they were, the dd command should
have correctly copied the MBR, and the disk should have booted.

--
My real email is akamail.com@dclark (or something like that).

------------------------------

From: Tony Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.unix.sco.misc
Subject: Re: So where is the performance analysis tools?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 20:21:20 -0400

Neal Rhodes wrote:

> dpace wrote:
> >
> > Neal Rhodes wrote:
> >
> > > I'm somewhat new to managing big linux systems and I'm really missing
> > > the info I used to get from SAR on unix systems.
> > >
> > > Where do I find out:
> > > A. what is the activity level and i/o performance of each drive in
> > > my system?
> > >
> > > B. Please list the processes that are taking the most memory.  List
> > > them in order.
> > >
> > > Aside from vmstat, which doesn't tell much, what is there?
> > > --

> > > Neal Rhodes                       MNOP Ltd                     (770)-
> > > 972-5430
> > > President                Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247             Fax:
> > > 978-4741
> > >                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >                          http://www.mnopltd.com/
> >
> > Here are some tools:
> > http://home.xnet.com/~blatura/linapp1.html#sysad
>
> Thanks.  I looked there and didn't see anything relevant to the
> above.
>

> > Also, sar exists and I have it. But, freshmeat is down right
> > now. Search for it there, when they come back up:
> > http://www.freshmeat.net
>
> Huh.  The reference I saw on freshmeat didn't indicate any real
> release, only a "im thinkin about it".

SCO released the source some time ago:
http://www.sco.com/press/releases/1999/6868.html

Starnix: http://www.starnix.com/osar/ was supposed to be
working on this but I haven't heard anything in a while..
there is a mailing list; don't know if it is active still.

--
Tony Lawrence ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Linux articles, help, book reviews, tests,

------------------------------

From: muzh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: Help: Linux crashes
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 12:34:49 +1200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I think Linux is a very immature, amateur OS. That's the main problem.
> You should get Windows 2000 instead. It's an awesome OS. Doesn't crash
> at all. Very stable.

I am wondering what I did wrong when I installed Linux.  I paid $NZ125
for a full installation of SuSE, and not $NZ528 for the cheapest usable
version of W2000.  I have an operating system which has crashed once in
a year, with lots of free applications.  I have worked with various
versions of Windows in the past -- lots of freezes, crashes, blue
screens, and forever having to shell out $$$$ for the simplest
applications.  I thought I was therefore being reasonable when I
switched to Linux.
Am I wrong?  I MUST have made a mistake somewhere if my Linux doesn't
crash --

--
Never trust a man in a suit --

cll

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: crypt command
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 00:42:50 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, jose luis fernandez diaz
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have RH6.2 but it don't have the crypt command.
>
>Where can I get the crypt command for Linux ?

You probably have crypt (see: man crypt), but it is a C library, not a
command.  If you need to crypt a password you could either write a script
in Perl using its crypt function or use 'htpasswd' command that comes with
the apache webserver (see: man htpasswd).

--
David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: "Rinaldi J. Montessi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Firewall for Linux
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 20:45:53 -0400

Jason Ng wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to install a firewall on my Linux box. Does anyone have any
> suggestions?
> I am a newbie for this and I want to know which one is good...
>
> Regards,
> Jason

Depends on what you want to do.  I use the following in my
/etc/rc.d/rc.local:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward  # Turn things on

/sbin/ipchains -P forward DENY  #General policy
/sbin/ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d 0.0.0.0/0 -j MASQ
#Append the rules to allow forwarding to the local network from the
default route

#And to tcpwrap the samba ports..

/sbin/ipchains -A input -p tcp -j DENY --destination-port 137:139 -i
ppp0
/sbin/ipchains -A input -p udp -j DENY --destination-port 137:139 -i
ppp0
/sbin/ipchains -A output -p tcp -j DENY --destination-port 137:139
-i ppp0
/sbin/ipchains -A output -p udp -j DENY --destination-port 137:139
-i ppp0

There may be more elaborate ways to do things, but this works for
me, and I love simplicity.

Cross Posting Removed.

--
Rinaldi]$
The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who, in time of

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 00:39:48 GMT

Hmmm...

So what can be done to make Linux more attractive to the average end
user?  In my experience the PC using bloke in the street is not readily
impressed by the technically impressive features of linux, as they are
not impressed much by the technical feats acheived by MS.  Is it true
to say that buyers are led to such an extent that windows is used on
nearly 90% of the worlds computers (MS claim, btw) purely by
advertising? (I guess lucritive OEM deals play some part too).

I suspect that the games market has to play the biggest part in getting
people to choose an OS - 'made for win95', etc...which leads to another
question - why are games developers reluctant to port games, which are
largly written in C to the linux platform?

As you can see, I have more questions that answers and I guess that the
debate is one that is repeated across the electronic consumables range
(betamax vs vhs, iMac vs IBM PC, PSX vs N64...etc,etc), and that the
answer lies somewhere in the direction of people simply not being made
aware of the existance of linux.  Naturally, there are those that just
don't care, and are happy to use whatever they're given to work with.

Time for my bedtime anyways, sweet dreams everyone.

Chris Crook

From: "Pierre" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP:How to enable perl-cgi scripts on my server ?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 19:50:51 -0700

=======_NextPart_000_005D_01C00D3B.71398340

My server is Redhat 6.1.
I put a perl-cgi script in /home/httpd/cgi-bin and it can not work. I =
don't know why.
The following is browser's output:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was =
unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, [EMAIL PROTECTED] and =
inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have =
done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error =
log.

If no script in /home/httpd/cgi-bin, the browser will say:
Can not find the page you requested,...

So I figure out that the server did find the script but there's =
something wrong.

If I put this file in /home/httpd/html, the browser just downloads the =
script.

Any help will be deeply appreciated !

Thanks !!!

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

=======_NextPart_000_005D_01C00D3B.71398340

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dgb2312" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>My server is Redhat 6.1.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I put a perl-cgi script&nbsp;in /home/httpd/cgi-bin =
and it can=20
not work. I don't know why.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The following is&nbsp;browser's output:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=3D2>Internal Server Error<BR>The server =
encountered an=20
internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your=20
request.<BR>Please contact the server administrator, <A=20
href=3D"mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>=
&nbsp;and=20
inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have =
done=20
that may have caused the error.</FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=3D2>More information about this error may be =
available in=20
the server error log.<BR></FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>If no script in /home/httpd/cgi-bin, the browser =
will=20
say:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><STRONG>Can not find the page you=20
requested,...</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>So I&nbsp;figure out that the server did find the =
script but=20
there's something wrong.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>If I put this file in /home/httpd/html, the browser =
just=20
downloads the script.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Any help will be deeply appreciated !</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Thanks !!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: If XWin hang, how to kill it
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 23:51:14 GMT

Peter writes:
> It [SysRq] has been a well known secret for ages. Used to be patches,
> then it got into the kernel mainstream, and now it's a compile option.

It's documented in Documentation/syrq.txt in the kernel source.  Print it
out and keep it with your printed copy of your partition table.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

From: Mark Day <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.programmer.help,comp.sys.mac.programmer.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc
Subject: Re: Operating system file name restrictions? Where?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 17:45:20 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Greg Weston
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, David C. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > Older UNIX file systems have a 15-character filename limit.  Newer
> > systems have a 255-character limit.  Some even have a 64K limit
> > (although why anyone would need a filename longer than 255 characters is
> > beyond me.)
>
> Aw, rats. The IIgs had 8k filenames and I thought that was the winner.

That limit was for *path* names.  ProDOS, the primary volume format,
had a limit of 15 characters, starting with an uppercase letter,
containing uppercase letters, digits and dots.  Later updates used
separate bits to allow letters to be displayed as lower case and the
dot to be displayed as a space.

> > MacOS filenames have a 35-char limit on the original HFS file system.
>
> 31, actually, with a 27-character limit for volume names.

For the truly anal retentive, those are *byte*, not character limits.
Many script systems use two bytes per character, so the limit becomes
15 and 13 *characters*, respectively.

wrote:

> The newer HFS+ file system has a much lager limit (255 chars, I think),

Correct.  And this time, it's 255 16-bit Unicode characters (for a
total of 512 bytes if you include the 16-bit length field used on
disk).

> but not all applications can handle this, so keeping the names short may
> be a good idea for now.

Applications using the HFS Plus APIs introduced in Mac OS 9.0 can
certainly handle the long names.

Applications using the older APIs (eg., PBGetCatInfo) get back what we
call a "mangled" name that has been truncated in a special way.  That
"mangled" name can be passed back into the File Manager to use the
file.  So using longer names is more of a user interface issue (since
Finder displays the shorter "mangled" names).  Using longer names won't
cause crashes.

> The colon (:) is a reserved char - used as a directory separator when
> text representations of path names are generated.

Not if you're using the HFS Plus APIs; any valid Unicode 2.0 character
is acceptable.  Though Mac OS 8.1 has a bug that will prevent you from
accessing the file if it's name contains a colon.

> Do you know of anybody who
> wanted to try and create a file with a NULL in the name?

A prominent Mac software developer does...

-Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jeff)
Date: 24 Aug 2000 00:57:05 GMT

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000 16:21:38 -0700, Duane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>jeff wrote:
>>
>> For yucks, and for backup, I wrote a simple script to clone my harddisk.
>> The disk has several partitions, all ext2 (except for swap). A slightly
>> simplified version of the script follows: (live disk is /dev/hda and backup
>> is /dev/hdb - hdb has partition structure identical to hda's - fstab mounts
>> hda2 on /usr)
>>
>>   #---- start of script ----
>>   mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt
>>   rsync -a --exclude "proc/" --exclude "usr/" --exclude "mnt/" /* /mnt
>>   mkdir /mnt/proc
>>   mkdir /mnt/usr
>>   mkdir /mnt/mnt
>>   umount /mnt
>>
>>   mount /dev/hdb2 /mnt
>>   rsync -a /usr/* /mnt
>>   umount /mnt
>>
>>   #...other partitions backed up here
>>
>>   dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=512 count=1
>>   #---- end of script ----
>>
>> Well, much to my astonishment, this basically works - X, network, samba,
>> VMware, the works. Two questions, though...
>>
>> 1. I thought that the "dd" would copy the mbr such that the clone (hdb)
>> could be booted (rejumpered as hda, of course).  It apparently did not,
>> since I got "LI" and had to boot from a floppy and run lilo - then, I could
>> boot directly from the clone hard disk.  IS THERE SOMETHING I CAN PUT IN THE
>> SCRIPT TO BUILD A BOOTABLE MBR?
>>
>> 2. Could my technique have caused some lurking problem that I may not see
>> for a while?  I can see no obviously suspect boot messages and, as I
>> mentioned, everything seems ok.  ANY OTHER "HEALTH CHECKS" THAT I CAN DO?
>>
>> Debian/potato, BTW - not that that should matter.
>>
>> -jeff
>
>Well, a couple of comments. There was no point in making partitions and
>directories on hdb, because your dd command overwrote them. Also, bs=512
>is way small and I would expect that to cause the copy to take a long
>time. If using dd on disks, I typically use bs=65536.

Hmmm... the dd has a count=1 parm.  My intent was to copy ONLY the MBR with
the dd.

>Are you using identical disks? If so, here is what I do:
># cp /dev/hda /dev/hdb

I'll may give this a shot, but rsync has a major advantage.  It can detect
and copy only changes in the group of files being processed, so - after the
initial copy - I can run a daily quick cron job to keep the clone in sync.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 00:53:45 GMT

> Well, a couple of comments. There was no point in making partitions
and
> directories on hdb, because your dd command overwrote them. Also,
bs=512
> is way small and I would expect that to cause the copy to take a long
> time. If using dd on disks, I typically use bs=65536.
>
> Are you using identical disks? If so, here is what I do:
> # cp /dev/hda /dev/hdb
> Does the same thing as dd. cp understands that I am referencing raw
disk
> devices rather than file systems, and behaves correctly. I did not
> partition the disk prior to the copy. This copied my MBR, extended
> partitions, Linux partitions, swap partition, and Windoze partitions,
> and the resulting disk boots and runs just like the original one. As I
> recall, it took me 35 minutes to copy a 20G disk.
>
> The fact that your copy did not initially boot makes me wonder whether
> they really were identical, because if they were, the dd command
should
> have correctly copied the MBR, and the disk should have booted.
>
> --
> My real email is akamail.com@dclark (or something like that).

I agree that things should have been identical.  I'm looking into doing
that same thing at work for a FTP server.  I set aside a disk so that I
can clone the root drive and have it bootable in the event of a
failure.  (I thought this would be easier than building root-raid.)

I was just planning on doing

        dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=65536

and hoping things worked.  Didn't realize that 'cp' did this.  But, dd
should do the same thing, right?

-rd