Linux-Misc Digest #541, Volume #25               Thu, 24 Aug 00 00:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Installing Linux (jeff)
  Re: How do you determine the job number from lpr? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Disk clone - almost (jeff)
  Re: Operating system file name restrictions? Where? (Keep it to Usenet please)
  set up network on Linux to the internet (Ariel)
  Re: FYI: Applix vs. StarOffice vs. WP8 for Linux.... (Carl Fink)
  Re: Should we get Mandrake or SuSe? (Dan)
  Re: Two external modems dial in question (Dan)
  Re: cant return to xwindow? (Dan)
  Re: Best newsreader? (Dan)
  Re: Aww, man!  !  ! ! !!!!!!! (David M. Cook)
  Re: PHP installation (Jeff Davis)
  Re: Is Mandrake Really Red Hat... (Johan Kullstam)
  Re: Linux 6.2 professional at a reasonable price. (David M. Cook)
  Re: Linux vs. Windows 9x/NT ("Ingemar Lundin")
  Re: How do you pronounce GNOME? ("Michael Westerman")
  Re: Operating system file name restrictions? Where? (Karsten Wutzke)
  Re: Linux 6.2 professional at a reasonable price. ("Mel")
  Re: Operating system file name restrictions? Where? (Steven Yap)
  Re: Linux vs. Windows 9x/NT ("Michael Westerman")
  Re: Aww, man!  !  ! ! !!!!!!! ("Michael Westerman")
  Re: Good books (David M. Cook)
  Re: Best way to learn "real world" skills? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Aww, man!  !  ! ! !!!!!!! ("Michael Westerman")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jeff)
Subject: Re: Installing Linux
Date: 24 Aug 2000 02:06:09 GMT

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 01:14:22 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I am attempting to install Linux on my Compaq computer and it loads OK
>but when I reboot it only gets to LI when it boots. I remember seeing,
>only once, an error that I would have to do someting to the Compaq
>before I could use UNIX but unfortunately I did not take note of the
>error as I figured it would come up again but it didn't. I am wondering
>if anyone knows what I need to do to the compaq to get it to run Linux
>I have tried searching the Compaq site but all the information seems to
>apply to Alpha computers and not Intel.
>
>I have an older compaq presario model 4122
>
>Any help in this regard would be appreciated.

According to LILO package doc, "LI" means either a geometry mismatch, or a
relocated /boot/boot.d.  Just boot your system via floppy (you DO have a
bootable floppy, right?), and issue the command: lilo

-jeff

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: How do you determine the job number from lpr?
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 02:04:48 GMT

Thanks.  I think this will work.  Sorry for the late reply, but I am on
vacation!

Mike

PS now to track down why lpd keeps losing its connection to a jet
direct.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jeff)
Subject: Re: Disk clone - almost
Date: 24 Aug 2000 02:29:24 GMT

Well, I put 2 and 2 together, and finally got 4!  I think that my problem
was this...  An "LI," according to the lilo doc, could indicate that
/boot/boot.d has moved. Since this is almost certainly true in the case of
my rsync'd cloned disk, it explains the message, and the inability to boot.

How to fix this?  One thought is that I could create a small /boot partition
and use dd to copy it. The big advantage of using rsync over dd and cp, for
copying the bulk of the system, is that rsync can copy only changes, so
keeping the clone in sync can be accomplished with a quickie nightly cron
job.

------------------------------

From: Keep it to Usenet please <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.programmer.help,comp.sys.mac.programmer.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc
Subject: Re: Operating system file name restrictions? Where?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 21:30:27 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Greg
Weston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > What about < and >, the smaller than and greater than characters?
>
> < and > ("suck" and "blow" are my favorite names for them) are the
> stream redirection characters.
>
> The command
>
> C:\> somecmd < input.txt > output.txt

well, try:

touch somecmd\ \<\ input.txt\ \>\ output.txt

It might actually create a file called:
   "somecmd < input.txt > output.txt"

--
Help!  I'm being held in a .sig factory.

------------------------------

From: Ariel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: set up network on Linux to the internet
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 02:29:27 GMT

now, I am installing the Red Hat Linux, and I am trying to set up my
network to the internet.  My company is using LAN.  and we have intranet
as well.  Does anybody have the experience connecting to the internet
using Linux,  step by step, please!

Thank  you very much!

Ariel

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: FYI: Applix vs. StarOffice vs. WP8 for Linux....
Date: 24 Aug 2000 02:38:22 GMT

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 01:51:24 GMT Grant Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>My observations exactly.  SO is way too big and slow compared to either WP
>or Applix.

It's significantly faster than WP on my box.  Faster to load, faster
to use.  That and it works with icewm.

>And the way it thinks it needs to take over and show that damned
>desktop is really annoying.

Supposedly the next version will decompose it back into applications.
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I-Con's Science and Technology Programming

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 23:30:04 -0500
From: Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Should we get Mandrake or SuSe?

Mike Styne wrote:

> Mitchell Timin wrote:
> >
> <snipped, blah>
> >

> Having worked with SuSE, Mandrake and RedHat, I can safely say they are
> basically the same. Granted, SuSE comes with the most packages, Mandrake
> has an almost foolproof install, and RedHat is somewhere in between.
> Also, Mandrake (7.1) makes an attempt at USB support, something (as far
> as I know) SuSE and RedHat haven't touched upon yet. It really comes
> down to what software you need installed. Personally, I prefer Slackware
> because I got sick of all the hand-holding those distributions provide.
> I felt like a sissy. Also, the suggestion to pay for Linux sickens me.
> No one with even a fairly mediocre internet connection should EVER have
> to pay for Linux.
>
> Regards,
> Mike
>
> --
> "You know, how is The Force like duct tape? Answer: it has a light side,
> a dark side, and it holds the universe together."
>
>   -- Larry Wall (Open Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and Associates)

I know that in at least 6.4 SuSE supports USB devices.

Dan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 22:54:53 -0500
From: Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Two external modems dial in question

Andrew wrote:
I don't know how you can do that, but you should be able to use two
dialup programs if you take "lock" out of /etc/ppp/options

Dan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 22:59:21 -0500
From: Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cant return to xwindow?

dana wrote:

It's hard to know exactly what you're problem is without getting the
exact error, but you might try killing X if it's still in memory.
Here's how to do it:

type 'top' on the command line.  You should see something like "X" on
the right hand side.  Follow that the to left hand side, and you should
find a number, which is the PID of the program.   Then type 'kill -9 '
and the PID.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 23:05:00 -0500
From: Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Best newsreader?

Rob Blomquist wrote:

> I'm recently over from Windoze land, and I am wondering if there is a
> newsreader that is as good as Microplanet's Gravity?
>
> I am currently posting and reading from Krn 0.6.0, and have an RPM for 0.6.11;
> I also have a beta of knews, but am not excited about it, if it just another
> basic newsreader.
>
> I know that Netscape Communicator can handle it, but its never been a faovrite
> either. And pine and news are a bit lower than I want.
>
> I'm not really a snoot, but I just like a decent newsreader with a decent
> threading ability.
>
> Rob

Try out kexpress.  It's pretty much beta quality, but it still pretty
decent IMHO.

Dan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David M. Cook)
Subject: Re: Aww, man!  !  ! ! !!!!!!!
Date: 24 Aug 2000 02:52:59 GMT

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000 19:05:46 -0400, scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>hmph... im writing this from the kdenews util inside gnome... but i cant get
>above 640x480 @ 8bpp ... i have the following options for my card
>Option  "no_bitblt"
>Option  "no_accel"

Well if you have to cripple the card this much to make it work, I'd get a
more compatible card.  If you still want to get it to work at a higher res,
you should post again giving specifics on brand and exact model.

Dave Cook

------------------------------

From: Jeff Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PHP installation
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 03:01:58 GMT

First of all, check which files you are able to read. Find the deafult page
(probably index.html). Then put another document in the same directory and
try to access it like localhost/myfile.html. If you can't access that, you
are probably in the wrong directory. If you want to, check out httpd.conf
(probably in /home/httpd/conf/httpd.conf) and srm.conf in same place. In one
of those files will be a line starting with 'DocumentRoot' and it gives a
directory. That is where apache searches.

If you have the file access through the webserver down, than next you need
to worry about PHP parsing the document, so it doesn't just spit out the
source code. This can be done by reading the PHP docs and the apache docs
(www.php.net www.apache.org), or perhaps the .rpm files set it up for you.
It is more complex than apaceh finding the file. It might work the first
time you try it, I seem to remember that working for me on RH6.1

Hope this helps,
Jeff Davis

paul simdars wrote:

> I am interested in database driven web development.  I have apache up
> and running and mySQL is up and running and I installed PHP from my
> RH6.1 CD.   I was looking at a tutorial and it listed a little test file
>
> called test.php3 which I was to save in /home/httpd/htdocs.   If I go to
>
> Netscape and go to localhost, the default page comes up.  But if I put
> localhost/htdocs/test.php3 or localhost/test.php3, Netscape is unable to
>
> locate the page.
> Am I missing a component?  There were so many other files to download
> from the RH site related to PHP.  I thought it would be best just to
> install from the CD.  I seem to have been wrong.
> Thank you for any insight you are able to give in this area.
> Paul
>
> --
> Things are more like they used to be than they are now.
> birdslife.1stConnection.net

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Is Mandrake Really Red Hat...
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 03:03:02 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne) writes:

> Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Johan Kullstam would say:
> >moonie;) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >> If this argument is correct then why did GCC go to the PGCC code for
> >> the latest release of the GCC?  If your argument is correct then ALL
> >> of Linux just took a big leap backwards.
> >
> >the scheduling tuning is different between i586 and i686.  using the
> >same generating engine but with different cost functions can generate
> >different encodings.
>
> Note that while that schedule tuning may not provide _optimal_ results
> on other than the specific chip the tuning was done for, if there are
> enough similarities between the cost functions that the tuning might
> still improve performance across _all_ CPUs, at least compared to
> "untuned" code.

on the other hand, if the pentium classic is sufficiently different
from all other ia32 arches in its speed optimizing scheduling, it may
be a loss.  i think this is likelier.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David M. Cook)
Crossposted-To:
za.local.cape-town,soc.culture.south-africa,linux.redhat.install,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux 6.2 professional at a reasonable price.
Date: 24 Aug 2000 03:16:25 GMT

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000 08:43:26 +0200, Peter H.M. Brooks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I would like to get a copy of Redhat Linux 6.2 professional and see that
>Redhat is selling it at $179.95 - quite a lot for something that is free,

T'aint free.  Contains patented RSA code (in secureweb).

The full sales pitch is at

http://www.redhat.com/apps/commerce/more_rhl_prof.html

>but still it is convenient and they are providing support.

Note that the only extra support over the Deluxe edition is web-based
support of apache setup; it's not part of phone support.  So if you don't
need secureweb, Deluxe is the better deal IMO.

Disclaimer: I'm a Red Hat employee, but certainly don't speak for them.

Dave Cook

------------------------------

From: "Ingemar Lundin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux vs. Windows 9x/NT
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 03:26:10 GMT

Really? And what was that? pdp-11? ;-)

/IL

------------------------------

From: "Michael Westerman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do you pronounce GNOME?
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:23:26 +1000

if enough people pronounce it wrongly the same way it becomes right!!!
I pronounce Line-icks and G- nome  as long as people know what im talking
about it dosn't matter unless the creator takes offence and stops making the
product.

------------------------------

From: Karsten Wutzke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.programmer.help,comp.sys.mac.programmer.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 05:35:50 +0200

WHOA! So many replies!!! I had never expected that! I thought this is
another "let's see if someone knows this and takes the time to tell me
something about it" mail. I was wrong... GOOD! I cannot say how much I thank
you... I'll use this new-won knowledge for my code generator which will
appear at www.glexport.de hopefully at the end of the year, so you guys know
this had a REAL purpose...

Again: Thanks to y'all! And keep on...

Karsten

PS: Braindead, I have to work through all this... :-)

--
Anti SPAM:
Remove 123 from email address to reply.

------------------------------

From: "Mel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
za.local.cape-town,soc.culture.south-africa,linux.redhat.install,alt.os.linux
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 05:40:36 +0200

"David M. Cook" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> T'aint free.  Contains patented RSA code (in secureweb).
Aha! So that's the reason why.

> The full sales pitch is at
> http://www.redhat.com/apps/commerce/more_rhl_prof.html
> Note that the only extra support over the Deluxe edition is web-based
> support of apache setup; it's not part of phone support.  So if you don't
> need secureweb, Deluxe is the better deal IMO.
> Disclaimer: I'm a Red Hat employee, but certainly don't speak for them.
While we have you on-line, could you tell us whether the professional
version is still embargoed for South Africa. As I understand it various laws
(in the US) were relaxed recently as regards the export of cryptography.
Does that mean we will be able to obtain it legally in SA or not?

Thanks in advance.

--
Mel's new supersonic design

---oo-O-oo---
(Crash and burn!)

comp.sys.mac.programmer.help,comp.sys.mac.programmer.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc
From: Steven Yap <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 03:40:23 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Karl B) writes:

> Karsten Wutzke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > \ / : * ? " < > and | are forbidden,
> > Can anyone explain WHY some characters are prohibited?
>
> : - Because... because... ah, I give up.

DOS use the : character as part of the special names like PRN:, LPT1:,
and COM1:.  In NT and W2K, the : character is also used to indicate
the stream to read/write from.  For example, "type bar:foo" would
print out the contents of the stream named foo in the file bar.

--
Steven

------------------------------

From: "Michael Westerman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:43:47 +1000

> The question I'd like to pose to the newsgroup would be what makes
> Windows so unreliable and prone to crashing?

I beleve lit is Secure 32 bit code built on legacy 16 and 8 bit code that
makes the Os 95/98 unstable and also the fact any program can replace vital
system files and corrupt the system.

2. Programers insist on using undocumented calls to achieve goals and these
can change between minor releases.

3. Nt 4 - 2000 := still runs some 32bit code. 80Mb Servse pack is a bit wary

4. 3rd nparty developers who write programs that unglue the program replace
system files. change system settings they shouldn't.

5. crappy uninstall that leaves files removes the wrong ones and leaves
referances to them.

> Is it the closed source nature of the kernel?

only with the documentation for external programers. see 3 and 4 ubove

> Or is it just down to
> incompetent programmers at Microsoft?  Surely MS should know that it
> crashes a lot,
On its own it dosn't tend to go down it's only when you want to use it.

> and they release update after patch after upgrade and
> there dosen't seem to be any improvement from windows95 to windows98 -

They fix old bugs where possible but as in wine some bug fixes tend to break
programs. New features tend to add/ show  bugs that wern't obvious before.

> surely MS can be aware that they're cranking out buggy code, but they
> don't do anything about it (but people still buy it - that's another
> story...).  I can't understand why they haven't eliminated the
> deaded 'invalid page' error yet,

At least they don't try to cover it up. (eg just not show it  people press
<any key> or close any way)

Stail kernal code.
Linux isn't all that stable on one of my machiens though hard ware problems
effect any OS. note ANY.

> but Linux has surged on ahead in a
> relativly short time.
>
> Also, what improvements to Linux would you make to make it as
> accessable and as popular to the general computer using populous?
4 modes
1. Hide all underlying complexity.
2. Advanced user mode
3. power user mode
4. Nerd Mode

> Bill Gates obsessed with the idea of a computer in every home, but I
> rather suspect that this 'vision' comes with the condition that it's
> his OS installed on those computers.

So he should its how M' Softs bussiness model is based.

------------------------------

From: "Michael Westerman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:47:08 +1000

and monitor.
that stoped mine xfree detected it couldn't do it the card could though
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David M. Cook)
Subject: Re: Good books
Date: 24 Aug 2000 03:46:34 GMT

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000 20:56:55 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Since I'll get more and more involved with Linux I would like some
>recommendations about good books.
>I prefer Red Hat and it would also be good if it's updated for the
>latest release (6.2 at the moment).
>But also generic books that is a must, is interesting.

_Running Linux_ by Welsh & Kaufmann (not distro specific) and _Red Hat Linux
6 Server_ by Kabir.  The first is a good general introduction and the second
is a very practical guide to setting up sendmail, dns, apache, ftp, etc.  I
got the Kabir book for free after paying for a similar book (Redhat Server
24/7 or something like that) that wasn't nearly as good.

I'd want a 3rd book that goes into scripting in more detail.  _Unix Power
Tools_, perhaps.  I never liked the O'Reilly bash book much.  I haven't
looked that carefully through the other Linux specific shell books.  If you
search at amazon, search on both "linux shell" and "linux shells".

Unfortunately, a lot of crap Linux books have been published.  Shop
carefully.  Amazon reviews are helpful (though I wouldn't by from them).

Dave Cook

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Best way to learn "real world" skills?
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 03:38:19 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ~~ I am considering taking a 5-day "boot camp" on Linux
Administration, but
> ~~ am concerned about the real benefits of such a short learning
> ~~ even if taught by reputable and knowledgeable professionals in a
> ~~ hands-on environment.
>
> I am generally weary of such 'crash courses'.  Sometimes they do
> yield some good information, however more often than not, they are
> not worth the price.

  This depends on the course, and who is teaching it.
I doubt that any lecture style course can teach you much in 5 days.
Sometimes the instructor can really squeeze a lot of info into a
week long hands-on course, and it works. I've written all of the
course material for my classes, and rework them continuously,
so I know whats in them. This is in contrast to many other places
who used hired guns who are handed the course materials and are
expected to teach without any formal teaching experience...

 Also, a problem in some states is that small training companies can't
 teach individuals because state laws governing proprietary schools.
 You'd have to get your employer to pay for the courses.

 Best way is to find work that has on=the-job training.

  -Phil C.
| Dr. P. A. Carinhas             | pac(at)fortuitous.com   |
| Fortuitous Technologies Inc.   | http://fortuitous.com   |
| Linux Training & Certification | Tel : 1-512*467-2154    |

From: "Michael Westerman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:59:55 +1000

Make sure youre using the right svga server not vga server which is 256
color 640 * 480
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...