From: yesh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Strange Response from Apache after Virtual host Config.
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 13:29:19 GMT

Hi,

I have a standalone apache1.3.9 server running on RH6.1. Currently Hosting
www.deefry.com, IP# 64.34.155.49 as default web server. I haven't defined
any virtual host directives. This setup works fine.

Now, I wanted to host www.247cae.com of the same IP#. I register the
domain, update the DNS enrties to point www.247cae.com to IP#64.34.155.49.
After this I tried to access www.247cae.com, as expected I get the default
site, because I haven't edited the httpd.conf file to add the virtual host
directives.

Next, I modify the httpd.conf file, added the virtual host section as shown
below at the end of the file

Listen 64.34.155.49:80
NameVirtualHost 64.34.155.49

<VirtualHost 64.34.155.49>
        ServerAdmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        ServerName www.deefry.com
        DocumentRoot /home/httpd/html
        scriptalias /cgi-bin/ /home/boards/cgi-bin/
<directory />
Options  followsymlinks
AllowOverride None
authtype basic
satisfy all
serversignature off
order deny,allow
</directory>

<directory "/home/httpd/html">
AllowOverride None
order allow,deny
allow from all
authtype basic
satisfy all
serversignature off
</directory>

<directory "/home/httpd/cgi-bin">
AllowOverride None
Options  execcgi
order allow,deny
allow from all
</directory>
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 64.34.155.49>
        ServerAdmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        ServerName www.247cae.com
        DocumentRoot /home/boards/html
        scriptalias /cgi-bin/ /home/boards/cgi-bin/
<directory "/home/boards/html">
AllowOverride None
order allow,deny
allow from all
authtype basic
satisfy all
serversignature off
</directory>
<directory "/home/boards/cgi-bin">
AllowOverride None
Options  execcgi
order allow,deny
allow from all
</directory>
</VirtualHost>

After this change, I restart my server
/usr/sbin/httpd -S restart

Everthing is OK, it detects the virtual host setup.

Now, when I request for either www.deefry.com or www.247cae.com, I get the
following error:

[Fri Aug 25 02:06:08 2000] [error] [client 64.34.155.49] File does not
exist: /home/httpd/html/

[Fri Aug 25 02:06:08 2000] [error] [client 64.34.155.49] File does not
exist: /home/boards/html/

I don't understand this, I have this directories and they have
content.(index.html etc..)

Now, I try to access the file (index.html) directly
http://www.deefry.com/index.html   --  strangely, it serves me the page but
it is not formated, It serves me this HTML file as raw text file with all
the HTML tags in it. Same thing happens when i do
http://www.247cae.com/index.html.

If someone  could please enlighten me as what's happening, I would greatly
appreciate it.

Thanks a lot

Yeshwant Mummaneni

From: -ljl- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.misc
Subject: Re: hard disk problems?
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 13:26:57 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Ben Ritchie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>                                                  Linux seemed happy
> enough to read it, although /var/log/messages was filled with a number
> of FAT warning messages,

Not good, warning messages indicate problems, sooner or later.

>                         so I copied all the data on to the Linux
> partition before rebooting into Windows

Smart move.

> 'automatically fix errors' overnight, and after ~14 hours it had
> reached ~135000 blocks (out of 1.5 million).

As you know, this is not good.

> Next, I tried reformatting the partition as a Linux EXT2 disk, before
> running e2fsck -c /dev/hdc1 and then badblocks -w /dev/hdc1 (For the
> windows people - that just does bad block checking, firstly read only
> and then read-write). No problems came up. As far as Linux is
> concerned the drive is fine,

Did Linux map out a bunch of badblock?

> as far as windows is concerned a significant chunk of
> it is dead.

Could this account for the significant chunk.

Is this drive still under warranty?  They are usually 3-5 years.

If the drive is old it might be flakey, intermittent.

> Which do I believe? Can anyone recommend a way to find out?

You might look at the vendor's web-site and see if there are any
free test utilities available.  Many (maybe most) are DOS based and
that's OK; you just want to check out the hardware.  SpinRite is a
commercial product that I've used and trust.  Any thorough HD test
program will probably take day(s) to test a multi-gig drive.

--
Louis-ljl-{ Louis J. LaBash, Jr. }

From: -ljl- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.scsi
Subject: Re: dat driver problem
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 13:41:01 GMT

In article <8o5am6$h5r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Andreas Moroder" <andreas[nospam][EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> if I try to get back the data I have the following problem
>
> mt -t /dev/st0
> tar xvf /dev/nst0
>     all works well
> tar cvf /dev/nst0
>     there comes back nothing
> tar cvf /dev/nst0
>     there comes back nothing
> tar cvf /dev/nst0
>     now the second file comes back.
>
> I get this two empty sessions between every session.

This is not a problem.  You can use mt to skip over the file-marks.
One of these days I'll get around to writing the promised DAT-HOWTO;
but don't hold your breath :-)

Anyway, you can find more detail by looking in:
  /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/README.st
read the section entitled "BSD vs SYS V SEMANTICS".

Hope this is of some utility.

--
Louis-ljl-{ Louis J. LaBash, Jr. }

From: Ben Ritchie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.misc
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 14:42:27 +0100

-ljl- wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   Ben Ritchie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > 'automatically fix errors' overnight, and after ~14 hours it had
> > reached ~135000 blocks (out of 1.5 million).
>
> As you know, this is not good.

Indeed :-(

> > Next, I tried reformatting the partition as a Linux EXT2 disk, before
> > running e2fsck -c /dev/hdc1 and then badblocks -w /dev/hdc1 (For the
> > windows people - that just does bad block checking, firstly read only
> > and then read-write). No problems came up. As far as Linux is
> > concerned the drive is fine,
>
> Did Linux map out a bunch of badblock?

As far as I can tell, Linux cannot find anything wrong with the partition.
I ran badblocks with the options -vw (i.e. verbose), not just -w as
I typo'd above, but it completed the tests happily.  I would hope that it
would have told me if it had found bad blocks.

> > as far as windows is concerned a significant chunk of
> > it is dead.
>
> Could this account for the significant chunk.

Until this morning the partition had always been used by Windows.

> Is this drive still under warranty?  They are usually 3-5 years.

Yes - it is only about six months old.

> > Which do I believe? Can anyone recommend a way to find out?
>
> You might look at the vendor's web-site and see if there are any
> free test utilities available.  Many (maybe most) are DOS based and
> that's OK; you just want to check out the hardware.  SpinRite is a
> commercial product that I've used and trust.  Any thorough HD test
> program will probably take day(s) to test a multi-gig drive.

Good thinking.  Thanks

> --
> Louis-ljl-{ Louis J. LaBash, Jr. }

Ben.

------------------------------

From: Ken Pratt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Replacing a binary while it is in use does not cause problems?
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 09:54:37 -0400

Using a tool such as 'rpm' to perform an upgrade to a package that is
currently running, such as 'The GIMP' never results in a core dump.  Why
is this?  I figured the kernel would only load pages that it needs (a
working set) from the file that represents either a binary executable or
library according to what parts of the code in an executable were used.

What if a running program's binary files are changed while it is running
and then a new page is needed because the program began to execute code
that had not yet been loaded into memory?  The upgraded program is in no
way going to be compatible with what is in memory.

How is it that upgrades to running systems work so flawlessly?

--
Ken Pratt

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: XFree86 vs Windows
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 10:00:16 -0400

ON a P2 350 with 64 MB ram, and a G200 8MB ( XFree86 3.3.6 supports it ),
I have had no problems like this.
I admit that I stick to vi most of the time, but when I use netscape, The
slow downs are only due to my hdd's running quite slowly ( dma off, etc.. )
. I haven't bothered to "tweak" it, because I've found no nead to .
All I've done is enable dma for the cdrom, which greately improoves X11Amp's
performance . ( I have all my mp3's on a CD, all of which -I might add- were
encoded from the original cd's which I had purchaced. I just don't like
swapping cd's )

However, the screen scrolling is always greately improved when the VC can
handle most of the screen.

On a windows machine, try disabling agp, turn off the acceleration, and see
what happens.  You will see the slow downs.If you are unable to do that,
stick in a crappy VC ( I think the S3's were famous as graphics
*de*celerators ) and watch .

Regards,
joseph

news:8o58ke$s80$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Need large uid? Can it be done?
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 13:46:29 GMT

We have several HP and Sun boxes at our site, and are able to use large
uids on them.

We need the ability, since we're using the pam_ldap module for our Unix
hosts, to be able to
use large uids on our Linux systems as well.

Have you any idea how this could be accomplished?

I am able to use the user{add,mod,del} commands with large uids with no
trouble at all. The
problems arise when you try to login or su to the created user.

This happens on both 6.1 and 6.2 of RedHat

/etc/passwd:
test:x:2000000:500:Test user:/home/test:/usr/bin/csh
/etc/shadow:
test:$1$vp5EkV2a$lAXa7fDnVXK4AjVo4hOwYB.:11194:0:99999:7:-1:-1:134540316

Login:
login: test
passwd:
Login incorrect
/var/log/messages:
login: FAILED LOGIN 1 FROM (null) FOR test, Authentication failure

SU:
su - test
Password:
su: cannot set user id: Invalid argument
/var/log/messages:
PAM_pwdb[5487]: (su) session opened for user test by my_user(uid=xxx)
PAM_pwdb[5487]: (su) session closed for user test

Any ideas?

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: If XWin hang, how to kill it
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 09:59:18 -0400

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote (in part):

> Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : Let us say my X crashes so bad that C-A-Bs and C-A-F[1-6] do not work. (This
>
> Well, depends what kind of crash. The usual remedy is to rlogin
> remotely and kill X. This leaves the console in a funny state, but you
> can start another X session (remotely) and carry on.
> Or you can try and reset the console, blind.
>
> Usually the ctl-alt stuff is working, btw. You just can't see it!

So the next time this happens, I inferI could do the following, right?

C-A-F1
and remember that it will say ... login:
(Perhaps I should wait a while. I notice if I do it now, my monitor clicks off
(probably X did something that resulted in sync failure for a moment until the
normal console comes up.)
and type root
remember that it will say Password:
and type the root password
remember that I will get a prompt
and type init 3
and wait a while and see if I get a CLI prompt on my console?
And if I do, just type init 5 and I should be all set, I guess.

In the old days, if the console was still screwed (usually the result of the
previous process putting the console or terminal into raw mode), I could type
something like
stty sane
and it would setup the console as a dumb terminal and it would work. I cannot tell
if this still works; the documentation says it should.

My /etc/inittab contains, in part:

# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:5:initdefault:

# Run xdm in runlevel 5
# xdm is now a separate service
x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

and is where I run X. If I go to runlevel 3, it should shut down X, though when
I looked at /etc/rc.d/rc3.d, I did not see how that was done. I expected a line
that said K01prefdm or something a bit like that, and did not find one. Maybe init
can figure it out from /etc/inittab directly.

--
Jean-David Beyer               .~.
Shrewsbury, New Jersey         /V\

------------------------------

From: The Contact <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: mirroring an hd
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 14:10:08 GMT

-ljl- wrote:
> System.map is a kernel thing, see:
>   /usr/src/linux/Documentation/oops-tracing.txt
>
> Don't see where it enters into the picture of moving files.

My fault. I thought System.map was a sort of database where locations
were saved (from where till where the kernel is situated on the HD, f.i.
from block 15468 to block 54862). Therefor I assumed moving things
(which changes the block-locations) would've made the System.map-file
corrupt. After reading the oops-tracing.txt and the klogd-man-page, I
now know better.

> Now lilo's 'map'  needs to be updated when the kernel and
> certain other files used by lilo are altered in any way.

Yes. Well, you made me a happy man (I now know a little more of Linux
:·) Thx!

--
The Contact
"Knowledge should be free; appliance not."

From: hac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 14:27:49 GMT

The Contact wrote:

> Aren't there problems concerning the System.map-file? If cpio just
> copies everything to a non-identical-partitioned,
> non-identically-geometried HD, then the kernel itself will complain,
> doesn't it? And rerunning lilo wouldn't help, because you just can't get
> to running lilo...

Lilo is the exception.  It does keep track of absolute sectors.  Rerun
lilo.

There are some details you need to pay attention to to make that work,
but it's not really very hard.

If you've booted from a rescue floppy/CD-ROM, you've mounted your hard
disk partitions in different places than they usually go.  And you may
have put your new filesystems in different partitions on the new
disk.  That means that you need to adjust the lilo.conf file to point
to the right location for the kernel, and that you need to tell lilo
where to find lilo.conf.  This is also complicated if you've attached
your new disk as /dev/hdc, for example, but will change it to /dev/hda
once you've moved everything.  It's simpler if you attach the new
drive where it will live, and move the old drive to a temporary
location.

I use a small /boot partition.  Running from the rescue disk, there's
nothing to prevent me from mounting the new /boot as /boot.  Other
partitions would be mounted in temporary locations for copying.  So,
after copying the old filesystems to the new filesystems, I edit the
new /etc files that need to be changed.  For example, I'll edit
/mnt/newroot/etc/fstab to reflect the partitions that the new
filesystems will live on.  And I'll copy /mnt/newroot/etc/lilo.conf to
/etc/lilo.conf, and edit it if needed - probably not.  Patch the
kernel with rdev, if needed.  Run /sbin/lilo.  It will find the blocks
used by the kernel on your /boot partition and write them to the MBR
on the first hard disk, assuming that's how you've configured lilo.

Another approach is to edit /etc/fstab (if needed), and boot from
floppy.  Run lilo.  If you used the same partitioning scheme, the same
floppy will work.  If you've moved root or swap, you should use rdev
to patch the floppy, while running from the rescue disk.  I'm talking
about a floppy with a copy of your normal kernel, created with "cp
/boot/vmlinuz /dev/fd0".  I use a monolythic kernel, which keeps
things simple.  If you use initrd, that may add additional steps.

If you understand how lilo works, this is not hard to do.  It's harder
to describe than to do.

This also works for Windows 98 and NT partitions. Just edit the
boot.ini file if you've moved NT to a different partition.

--
Howard Christeller  Irvine, CA   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: grphix and soundcard on one board?
Date: 25 Aug 2000 14:29:54 GMT

On Fri, 25 Aug 2000 10:26:56 GMT, Ray Fencey wrote:
>i've recently got a graphics card which has a soundcard built onto it;
>the chipset for the graphics is et6000 and the soundchip is sb compat.
>is it possible for the soundcard to be initialised under linux 2.2; do
>they share the same interupt since they're on the same physical board
>and if so will that be a problem?

This is a new one.  First, "SB Compatible" usually means absolutely
nothing, as the Soundblaster emulation is almost always done in software
by a DOS driver.  Second, if this is a PCI card, you can probably figure
out exactly what sort of sound card is on there by doing "cat
/proc/pci".  Video cards under Linux do not use IRQs for anything, so
it's certainly possible for the card to use only one IRQ.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Those who do not understand Unix are
http://www.brainbench.com     /   condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
=============================/           ==Henry Spencer

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin Croxen)
Subject: Re: Vmware: booting os installed on raw disk under VM
Date: 25 Aug 2000 14:00:45 GMT

If the poster wants a Windows partition that he can boot both live and
under VMWare, the best way of going about it is by using NT. The reason
for this is since NT stores *everything* without exception under its
single system_root directory by (default c:\winnt), it is a simple matter
to have 2 NT installations in a single partition (under, say, c:\winnt and
under c:\winnt2  --actually you may have up to five independent NT
installs on a partition: 10 if you edit out the VGA lines from the
ntloader menu). One NT installation is exclusively configured for live
booting, with the appropriate hardware drivers, et al.; the second
installation on the partition is configured exclusively for use with
VMWare. Both installations use the same assemblage of apps from
c:\progra~1; new apps are installed twice --once per NT to allow each
registry to record them. LILO goes in the MBR, and the ntloader is invoked
as a choice in the lilo.conf

This is the way I assure access to Windows stuff both live and in VMware
without having a proliferation of windows partitions. Sometimes if I need
to use NT Server for a while, it also goes into c:\winnt3 (and c:\winnt4
if I need to use it both live and under VMWare)

This is the easy way of having raw partition access, but I don't believe
paired installations will work with 95/98 because of their tendency to
throw files everywhere rather than concentrating everything under the
system_root. But with NT it is a simple thing. It would also work with a
paired NT/95, where one was always live, the other VMwared.

--Kevin

------------------------------

From: "..." <"chris"@|\\|0$PAMsantafe.edu>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: No printing on HP Laserjet 1100
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 08:35:57 -0600

I have a HP laserjet 1100 that prints perfectly (with and w/o filters)
from a S.u.S.E. Linux notebook. When connecting it to my RedHat 6.1 box
I just get a single line of cut-off characters on the top. And this
happens already when printing a plain text-file directly to /dev/lp0.
The printer is connected to the parallel port. I run Linux 2.2.12. I
also have the fancy "alias parport_lowlevel    parport_pc" line in
/etc/conf.modules.
So what am I doing wrong?

Christian (remove the fancy NOSPAM from my FROM:-line)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 09:37:36 -0500
From: paul simdars <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: XWindow Managers

Garry Knight wrote:

> When you say "control-center", do you mean the Enlightenment Configuration
> Editor? The one you get to from Main Menu > Settings > Desktop > Window Manager?
> I run KDE, so I can't tell you exactly where or how to fix the problem.
>
> Having the title bar on or off is an option in Enlightenment, IIRC. If you
> can't find a way of changing it in the Configuration Editor, try clicking the
> desktop with either mouse button, with or without Ctrl and Alt. I think one of
> these combinations comes up with a menu where you can configure your window
> settings.
>
> It's there somewhere, but you'll need to let some more rope out... :o)
>
> --
> Garry Knight
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have the Gnome desktop (my program menu has the footprint).  In Gnome I found no
settings for that.  In the KDE menues > settings > window behavior > buttons.  You
can set the properties.  Unfortunately they don't show up in Gnome.  I will try
changing to KDE and see if I can live without all my Gnome/Enlightenment goodies.
But Gnome should have a way to set those settings.

Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 09:43:50 -0500
From: paul simdars <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Gnome X settings

My Gnome windows settings went funny, the topmost bar on the windows
disappeared.  It contains the close button and the resize button and
also the bar across the top where you can move the window.  In KDE there
is a place to set those properties (KDE>settings>window
behavior>buttons.  I can't seem to find how to get this bar back in
Gnome.  If you have an idea, I'd love to hear it.
Thanks.
Paul

From: JCA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: crypt code
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 07:47:00 -0700

Villy Kruse wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Aug 2000 06:47:22 GMT, Jeff Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >I am not sure you are posting this in the right forum, but here is what
> >I found (i searched google.com, great search engine). Thanks for asking
> >about this, as I have never known either, and it seems interesting. If
> >you can make heads or tails of it, more power to you.
> >

> This program has for a long time been export restricted, so it would
> always be excluded from unix versions sold outside the US.

    This is just a single-rotor enigma machine, that can automatically be
broken
(try the cbw program.) I doubt very much that this is export-restricted. I
think
that the crypt code you have in mind is a DES variant. This certainly used to

be export-restricted, but not any more (unless you are exporting it to
countries
like Iraq or Libya.)