From: Monte Milanuk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: From RedHat to SuSE: A simple question
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 10:39:09 -0600

Ok, I feel I have to comment on this one!  ;)  I made the RedHat -->
SuSE transistion right about the time SuSE 6.0 came out, primarily for
a) sound support ala OSS, and KDE.  I have purchased every version since
(6.1,2,3,4), and have largely been satisfied w/ the overall
performance.  I have tinkered w/ the various Mandrake and RedHat
versions in the same time period, as well as a little meddling w/
Slackware (I started on it around v.3.0, years ago), Debian, Corel, and
TurboLinux.  By far the most I have messed w/ a non-SuSE distro recently
would be Mandrake.  And I would have to say that w/ the exception of
Mandrake, there wasn't a noticeable performance difference btwn _any_ of
the ones I tried.  And again, w/ the exception of Mandrake, I never
noticed a significant difference in stability.  Granted, Mandrake is
somewhat more bleeding edge, especially w/ their last few versions being
a marked departure from their original 'follow-the-leader(redhat)'
stance.

I'd be interested in what you base these claims that SuSE is 'by far the
most stable RPM-based distro out there...' and especially how you
decided that it is 'quite a lot faster than RH & Mandrake...' since
Mandrake is Pentium-optimized, and SuSE (just like RedHat) is
i386-optimized, plus any custom/expert install of Mandrake offers the
option of turning on hard drive optimization, which granted, is easily
done on just about any linux distro.  On my box, that boosts the test
speed from 3.8Mb/s to 19.7Mb/s.  So how in the heck is SuSE any faster?

Please keep in mind that I am not trying to bash SuSE here, I am just
trying to present a reality check.  I recently switched over from SuSE
6.4 to RedHat 6.2 GPL, at least for a while, w/ a copy of KRUD on the
way.  When 7.0 comes out, I'll probably wait and get a GPL copy of it,
test it out, and maybe I'll go back, maybe I won't.  SuSE's mailing list
support is bar none the best I've seen yet.  I'm just getting tired of
every time a new kernel comes out, anyone who uses OSS for their sound
is hosed -- either upgrade and have no sound, or pay for a new version
of OSS on your own.  Not completely SuSE's fault, but one of a few
annoyances.  Probably a large part of why SuSE has heavily funded parts
of Alsa, and use it in 7.0.

Oh, and by the way, as far as transistion from RedHat to SuSE, the
runlevels are different, as well.  I believe, in RedHat, runlevel 2 is
multi-user non-networked, runlevel 3 is multi-user networked, and
runlevel 5 is multi-user networked w/ X.  In SuSE, runlevel 2 is
multi-user networked, and runlevel 3 is multi-user networked w/ X

------------------------------

From: QNA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Desktop of No Return.
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 16:29:14 GMT

i must first go into linux using a 'generic VGA Compatible' chip because
of problems with the Intel 810 Chip, but then after going into linux and
editing the /etx/X11/Config (i think thats it?) and changing the lines to
detect my video card i then cannot 'startx' or get into my desktop. i get
a errno error or something telling me there are now problems because of my
configuration. what can i do in order to fix that or get back into my
desktop after it locks me out?

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.text.xml,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux, XML, and assalting Windows
From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 27 Aug 2000 10:49:38 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Darren Winsper) writes:

> On 26 Aug 2000 10:36:22 -0600, Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > With bundles, you can pop in a CD and drag it to wherever you want to
> > put it, and it will all work.  I hope Apple hasn't screwed them up in
> > MacOS X, but we'll see.
>
> RISC OS used bundles which were called Applications.  ROXFiler
> (rox.sourceforge.net) has support for a similar system.

Interesting.  In NeXT-style bundles, an "application bundle" is a
specifict kind of bundle (next to libraries and other types).

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "tonyg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: "w" and "who" do not list the same users logged in
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 16:55:45 GMT

Greetings,

Executing the command "w" shows user root logged in, but it also reports
that 2 users are logged in.
Executing the command "who" shows users root and user sam logged in.
Executing the command "last" shows user sam as "still logged in".

The session of user sam was terminated using the command "kill -9 (pid)"
where pid was the process ID of the user's bash session.

Rebooting the server will make the commands "w" and "who" to report
correctly who is currently logged in. This leads me to believe that some
process is not properly shut down (perhaps because I used kill -9), and some
resources are still in use. How can I make "w" and "who" report correctly
who is logged in, without rebooting the server?

TIA.
tg

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.text.xml,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 27 Aug 2000 10:54:42 -0600

"paul snow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

 [snip about ditching "package managers" all together]

> Ah those simple days of yore!  But we can't and we won't go back.
>
> Today we have Java VMs and Adobe Acrobat viewers, and browsers, and browser
> plug-ins, word processing packages, and stock tickers, Internet based games,
> etc. Never mind that we are going to be configuring systems to connect with
> other systems, and use databases, and database clients, and we need to set
> up security, and down load the new versions of our clients, etc.

 ... enter NeXT-style bundles.  They can handle all the above, and you
only need to know how to use cp(1) to install them.

> It isn't going to be simple in the future.  It is going to get worse.  In
> another post I list a set of requirements we are going to need from a
> package manager.  Not want, need.  Typewriters are out for good.  And
> Redmond may be at fault to some degree, but if so they only pushed us ahead
> in time a bit.  It was going to happen to us anyway.
>
> We have to have package managers, but they need to be based on open
> standards.  And they need to operate in an environment outside the execution
> environment of the supported computer systems.  They need to be able to
> manage cross platform, distributed applications.  Why?  Because we are on
> the Internet already!  We want to bank, we want to order hamburgers on the
> Interstate Hwy so I don't wait for my order!  I want to use my PDA to adjust
> my lights in my hotel (cause I don't know where the switches are, but I have
> my PDA), I want to listen to my MP3 files on the rental car's stereo, from
> the station I programmed on the Internet.
>
> We can't do all of this by coping all our files onto our bin directory.
> Sorry.

Why not?  Isn't the operating system supposed to do the mundane
things for us anyway?

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jerry McBride)
Subject: Re: IBM has released SashXB on Gnome.org
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 12:34:37 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>jeff_condon writes:
>> Sash can be thought of as technology that maps the native Application
>> Programming Interfaces (API's) provided by an operating system and it's
>> particular Graphical User Interfaces...
>
>Real operating systems don't have user interfaces, graphical or otherwise.

But if you're trying to get linux to the masses... this is a decent approach.

>                          Picard - Riker in 96!!!                            <
>        1:05am  up 0 days, 3:01:56, load: 20 processes, 84 threads.          <
* NetRexx - The onramp to the Internet - http://www2.hursley.ibm.com/netrexx  *
*                             ICQ# 76727806                                   *
*                    Registered Linux User Number 185956                      *

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Rysdam)
Subject: Re: Advice sought,  (new user coming from OS/2)
Date: 27 Aug 2000 16:20:58 GMT

And Robert Morelli Spoke:
>Bob Hauck wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 26 Aug 2000 18:16:14 -0400, Robert Morelli
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> >1. I currently have a 300 mb partition devoted exclusively to the OS/2
>> >   system (together with  the Java JDK).  I keep all my applications and
>> >   data on a separate partition.

>> Depends on distribution and what you install.  Figure 125 MB for a
>> "minimum" install, 250 MB for a "workstation" install with a good
>> selection of gadets, 1GB or more for a "full" with StarOffice and all
>> the development tools and enough geegaws and gadgets that you'll still
>> be finding them in a year.
>
>By base system,  I mean only the core of the system.  This includes the kernel
>and basic functionality.  I include the JDK because I consider Java basic according
>to how I work. (You're free to disagree,  but please go to comp.lang.java.advocacy
>to do so.)  I exclude StarOffice,  geegaws,  gadgets and such.  The base system
>shouldn't grow much over time.
>
>I asked this because I have two 400 MB hard drives I'm thinking of devoting
>exclusively to the base system on two PCs,  but before I bother installing them
>I'd like to know if that's going to be enough space.

A "base system" will literally fit on a single floppy.  But your
original post mentioned using GNOME--that means you'll need X, all the
GNOME-libs and a lot of other "geegaws and gadgets" that automatically
get installed by both those things.  I think the only way you are
going to find out how much space you need is to actually do it and
check.

However, if we are talking (very) rough figures: Somewhere between 200
and 300 MB.  That's if you go through the packages one by one.  For
instance, RedHat let's you say "workstation"--that's going to add a
lot of stuff.  Choose custom instead.  And when it says "GNOME" don't
just check "yes".  Do "ask about individual packages" and then install
or don't install each one individually.

Alternatively, you could go get one of the "floppy distros" and work
your way up.  That is, install a "base system" from floppy and then
add library after library until you have GNOME and your JDK installed
and working.

--
My public encryption key is available from www.keyserver.net

------------------------------

From: "David B. van Balen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: console msgs under Stormix
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 12:30:55 -0500

I have a Stormix CD I burned sometime at the end of '99 taht I've
installed a couple times to check it out. Each time, I've had this problem:

I really like the ppp-go/ppp-off scripts that come with Slackware, so I've
backed them up on a floppy along with the ppp config files and just dump
them in the correct dirs whenever I try a new distro so that my dialup
connection will work.
Under Stormix, however, I don't see any of the status messages that the
ppp-go script (or pppd?) prints so that I'm never sure when the
connection is fully established, which is very annoying.
Does Stormix redirect stderr to /dev/null so that new users don't
see it or something? Does anyone know how I can change this behaviour?

TIA

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: X
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 17:30:24 GMT

Hi,

I'm trying to run an graphical application (such as netscape) on a
SunOS, where I don't have root access, while telneting from a Linux,
where I'm the sysadmin. I  get the following error:

SunOS$ netscape
Xlib: connection to "my.linux.machine:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
Error: Can't open display: my.linux.machine:0

What can I do to rectify this?

I tried reading xauth and xdm manual pages, but they make absolutely no
sense to me.

Thanks

Wroot

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: "w" and "who" do not list the same users logged in
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 17:49:32 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 27 Aug 2000 16:55:45 GMT, tonyg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Executing the command "w" shows user root logged in, but it also reports
>that 2 users are logged in.

'w' shows what the people that are logged on are running.  There may be
more programs there than the number of people logged in.

>Executing the command "who" shows users root and user sam logged in.
>Executing the command "last" shows user sam as "still logged in".
>
>The session of user sam was terminated using the command "kill -9 (pid)"
>where pid was the process ID of the user's bash session.
>
>Rebooting the server will make the commands "w" and "who" to report
>correctly who is currently logged in. This leads me to believe that some
>process is not properly shut down (perhaps because I used kill -9), and some
>resources are still in use. How can I make "w" and "who" report correctly
>who is logged in, without rebooting the server?

If you kill sam, he is not properly logged out, so of course the logs will
be wrong.  Try logging him out instead (Crtl-D or logout command).

If sam happens to be running some process that locks up, kill that locked
up process, not his login shell.

--
David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: Robert Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: dbmopen version woes
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 10:53:41 -0700

> I have some script originally written in Perl 4 that use dbmopen
> to tie a hash to a file. No "use" statement, so I guess I got
> ndbm.
>
> This is on a RedHat 6.1 Linux system.
> Recently a cron job updated my Perl with
> perl-5.00503-12.i386.rpm and now my script won't open the database.
>
> I'm not exactly sure what version Perl I had before - whether I had
> the original Perl distributed with RH6.1 or one I installed from
> a tarball. I have tried a couple of old binaries saved elsewhere
> with no luck.
>
> I have backups of the database but can't read them either ...
> I have some text dumps I can convert but they're a few months old.
>
> Any ideas for converting the old database files ?
> I can see the contents with "strings" but it's not that easy
> to restore that way.
>
> --
> Andrew Daviel

I ran into this problem some time ago with a little Perl utility
I wrote to scan the Netscape cache.  The problem is that Perl5
upgraded the Berkeley DB library version.  For example, the info
from a Perl module called Cache.pm found at:

http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~eserte/src/CPAN/Netscape-Cache/

says:
===
Netscape uses the old Berkeley DB format (version 1.85) for its
cache
index C<index.db>. Version 2.x.x is incompatible with the old
format
(L<db_intro(3)>), so you have either to downgrade or to convert
the
database using B<db_dump185> and B<db_load>. See
L<convert_185_2xx|/convert_185_2xx> for a (experimental)
converter
function.
===
What I did was rewrite my little utility in C, and it works fine
now, with the Netscape cache just as it is.

HTH.

Bob L.
--
Robert Lynch-Berkeley CA [EMAIL PROTECTED]