  Re: How to e-mail files? (Garry Knight)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: X
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 22:58:45 GMT

> > On your linux machine, do xhost + remote.sunos.machine
> >

> Tried it, also set "DISPLAY=local.linux:0" Still doesn't work. The
error
> message is just "Can't open display". Help!

Correction. It works with "telnet" (thanks!), but doesn't work with
"rlogin -l me sunos.machine"

Wroot

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Rysdam)
Subject: Re: How to e-mail files?
Date: 27 Aug 2000 22:33:43 GMT

Permissions?  No issues whatsoever, if you've actually mailed them a
file.  File permissions are a property of the file system, not a
property of the file.  When you send the file to someone else, they
can assign their own permissions (especially so if they are a
different operating system).

And cedric Spoke:

--
My public encryption key is available from www.keyserver.net

------------------------------

From: SDI \"Semiconductor Instruments\" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NFS or SAMBA with DHCP Server
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 01:32:40 +0200

==============01BC1CB0E2F37FB3E282F896

SDI \"Semiconductor Instruments\" wrote:

> SDI \"Semiconductor Instruments\" wrote:
>
> > Dear Everyone,
> >
> > I have sucessfully set up a DHCP server between Liux systems with the
> > eventual intention of also networking a windoze system with samba and a
> > mac all on the same network.
> > I chose DHCP because I found a really good book by coriolis (Setting up
> > a Linux Intranet Srver , www.coriolis.com) which explains how to do
> > this.
> > The only problem is that this wonderful book doesn't explain how you
> > should interface 2 systems together running linux.
> >
> > I understand I have 2 possibilities:
> > 1. Use NFS
> > 2. Use smbfs, seeing as I already have to set up samba to interface the
> > mac and the windows system on the network anyway.
> >
> > I have 2 questions:-
> >
> > 1. Should I use NFS to communicate between linux systems ?
> > If so, how do I  install NFS on my redhat 6.1 linux box and set it up as
> > a client under dhcp ?
> >
> > 2. Is it possible to use samba to run file transfers between my linux
> > boxes ?
> > Is this preferrable in terms of security considerations to running NFS ?
> >
> > Also , How do I install samba on a linux 6.1 redhat system as a client
> > under a dhcp protocol ?
>
> Okay , thanks for all the help , everyone.
> I decided to use SAMBA and have now discovered you can run a client program
> which you can get as an RPM. I guess it didn't work too good in the past,
> because it has been heavily modified in the latest release, 2.07.
>
> Anyway, you can mount a file system in a similar way to nfs by using the
> command smbmount.
> I have now nearly achieved a connection between my 2 filesystems without
> totally compromising network security , but I am stuck with the following
> error message when I try to log in from the client:-
> tree connect failed: ERRSRV - ERRinvnetname (Invalid network name in tree
> connect.)
>
> watch this space for more developments !!
>
> I am now going to try installing the same version of samba on both systems-
> I'm sure that'll help !

I seem to have arrived at a solution to my problems withoutnyour hekp, you
useless bastards.
Sogo and boil your silly heads, BRUTTI MALADETTI PEZZENTI , to quotye Roberto
Bengini.
\Fuck you

==============01BC1CB0E2F37FB3E282F896

begin:vcard
n:Howe;Stephen
tel;pager:none
tel;cell:Italy(39) 335 710 7756
tel;fax:Italy(39) 081 575 5835
tel;home:Italy(39) 081 598 3133
tel;work:Italy(39) 081 598 3133
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:SDI (Tel: Italy (39) 081 598 3133 Fax:Italy(39)081 575 5835)
adr:;;Via F. Russo,19;NAPOLI;;80123;ITALY
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Principal
x-mozilla-cpt:;32480
fn:Stephen Howe
end:vcard

Subject: Re: Best Linux Distribution
From: Robert Kiesling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 27 Aug 2000 19:38:30 -0400

On Aug. 27, 2000, "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, wrote:

> ( text deleted )
>
>  This lets experts in a NG concentrate on more urgent, or perhaps
> tougher questions, and at the same time, ups the quality of the
> discussions.  Since the newbies are good Netizens, and are lurking
> then they can gain something from the discussions, and when the time
> is right, can contribute something useful.  If the maintainer of the
> Linux FAQ reads this, can we get "What is the best...?", put in the
> FAQ, please?

Yes, I do read this news group as much as possible.

Nobody's yet asked why I don't have a "Best Of" list.  But there's two
main reasons:

1.  I don't have the facilities or the time to evaluate objectively
    what the best of any given software is.  I'd have to rely on
    hearsay and word-of-mouth.  It's enough work keeping the FAQ
    up-to-date as it is.  If I had to single out one product, I'd have
    to justify it, and that would consume even more of my time.  There
    was a situation a year or so ago where Linux was run head-to-head
    against MS Windows.  The tests had to be repeated several times
    before everyone was satisfied they were correct.  Not to mention
    that advertising is forbidden in moderated News groups like
    news.answers and comp.answers.

2.  Even if I were able to pick the "best" of a certain type of
    software, that would be no guarantee that it would be the
    best for your particular application, memory, HD and video
    configuration, network topology, and on and on.

It's a lot more efficient to provide the information so that
someone can make as informed a judgment as possible.

Wow, I guess that was actually three or four reasons.  Thanks,

Robert Kiesling

--
http://www.mainmatter.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Pro*C
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 23:30:22 GMT

HI

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is a Pro*C or
equivalent pre-compiler available for Linux.

Thanks, in advance,

Carson

--
Carson R. Wilcox
Senior Architect

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (RogerB)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: BIOS?
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 23:44:21 GMT

        This is a option for the bias. With most PCs  you change the
bias at boot time just after the mem check. It will say at the bottom of
the screen what key to hit (del on a lot). When the config screen
comes up find the one to enable disable PnP and change it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 23:47:47 GMT

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000 01:32:40 +0200, SDI \"Semiconductor Instruments\"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I seem to have arrived at a solution to my problems withoutnyour hekp, you
>useless bastards.
>Sogo and boil your silly heads, BRUTTI MALADETTI PEZZENTI , to quotye Roberto
>Bengini.
>\Fuck you

To quote me, take that unimpressive, silly ass v-card and shove it up
your arse sideways.

--
Hal B

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bash: a simple question
Date: 27 Aug 2000 14:56:35 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Kimber) wrote:
>Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>Use the -e option to echo, to enable escape sequence interpretation.
>>
>>   echo -e hello"\012"there
>>
>>In the bash man page, you want to look in the section titled
>>SHELL BUILTIN COMMANDS for a description of echo and its
>>options.  You can find that easily while using the man command
>>by doing a search.  At the prompt, type in /echo and hit return.
>
>Thanks.  I suppose I should have explained more fully.  I chose
>that example thinking that the solution would be general.
>Perhaps there isn't a general solution.  What I was trying to
>find out was how the command line would be parsed if I was
>looking for newlines.  E.g. I might want to use sed to replace
>a string with a newline, or I might want to use grep to find
>all the newlines, or tr etc., etc.  Is there a consistent way I
>can write a command that will recognise, say \012 ?

Your command line is an example of that.  First, it must be quoted to
prevent the shell from eating it for lunch.  Hence,

   echo -e hello\012there

will not work, but

   echo -e "hello\012there"

will.  Second of course the command, in this case "echo", must
recognize the escape sequence.  You will find that useful for
commands like sed, grep, tr, etc.

--
Floyd L. Davidson                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

------------------------------

From: mrauscher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: tranfering boot/root disk to higher capacity format
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 17:00:05 -0700

Okay, this should be simple, but I'm obviously missing something. I've
got a mini-Linux distribution on a single 1.44M floppy and I'd like to
get more space on the diskette to add some additional programs, but
alas, the diskette is nearly full. The obvious solution is to move the
distro to a higher capacity format -- like 1680 or 1722 -- but the
process for doing this seemingly trivial task is eluding me. I've tried
to extract what I need from the Bootdisk-HOWTO but the best I end up
with is a diskette filled with garbage directories and files.

Creating the higher capacity devices and formatting the diskettes is not
the problem; it's transfering the files from the bootdisk to the newly
formatted one so that I end up with another bootdisk is what has me
stymied.

Please show some compassion for this humble neophyte and share what ever
tricks are needed to make this work.

Thanx for any help.

------------------------------

From: Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux device driver book
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 00:24:08 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Hi,
>
>What is the best book I can find on learning to write linux
>device drivers. I am newbie on this and I expect something
>too compicated.

I don't know about the best one, but there's a book called something like
"Writing Linux Device Drivers" which I believe Amazon carry.

--
Garry Knight

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.text.xml,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux, XML, and assalting Windows
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 00:16:14 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Tad McClellan would say:
>On Sat, 26 Aug 2000 19:27:47 +1000, Ian Pulsford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>>> Ian Pulsford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>>> It seems that too many people are so worked up about the XML format that
>>> they are crediting it with magical properties.
>>
>>Yeh, there seems to be a lot of hype.  I guess it's the new toy syndrome.
>                                                         ^^^^^^^
>

>Structured markup is not new. It is (at least) 20 *years* old.
>
>I am dumbfounded that most everybody thinks that XML is
>"something new"...
>
>So it isn't really "new toy" syndrome, it is more like
>"a very old toy that I just now discovered" syndrome   :-)

Some of us used SGML ten years ago; yes, indeed, it's hardly
"something new."

The point is that the _hype_ surrounding it is pretty recent.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>
Strong language gets results.  "The reloader is completely broken in

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: W2K and Linux
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 00:14:49 GMT

In article <8o9j4d$l8c$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> So you mean that you were ignorant until a few months ago ?

Ignorance is not knowing what you don't know(shades of Socrates).
I am ignorant on many subjects. I now know, however, that Linux is
easier, more dependable, more educational, and funner to use than nt
for building and deploying Oracle web based applications. I get smarter
as I use Linux, when I use nt I get more idiosyncratic.

> I know alot of people that are very good technicaly but have
> been focused on Windows. I wouldn't say that they are ignorant
> becasue they have been focused on the Windows platform, after
> all that is what people have been paid to know/support.
> Companies have trained the staff on the windows enviroment
> and to do it all over again is costly.
>
> You can't say that Linux is as easy as Windows and most people
> just want to use the tools that are presented and don't give
> a sh-t was underneeth.
> Right or wrong that is how it is.
>
> I'm not pro Windows, I like Linux.
> There is alot of OS that are better than Windows, e.g. OS/2 is
> in many ways superior to Windows but the lack of applications
> has more or less killed it (last I checked).
> As a Server OS I find Linux excellent, as a Client....well I
> would say it depends on the knowledge of the users and the
> applications that is to be used.
>
> I would recommend people to try Linux but to call people ignorant
> for not want or can try Linux is a bit too much, I think.
>
> /Fredrik
>
> In article <8o8o26$nq6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > I've used NT for 4 years. I thought W2K would obliterate Linux when
it
> > came out. After using W2K for several months, I thought I'd give
Linux

From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 19:26:19 -0500

On 27 Aug 2000, Robert Kiesling quoth:

~~ Date: 27 Aug 2000 19:38:30 -0400
~~ From: Robert Kiesling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
~~ Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
~~
~~
~~ On Aug. 27, 2000, "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, wrote:
~~ >
~~ > ( text deleted )
~~ >
[...]

  Understood, the reason I think that it should be added are precisely the
reasons you mentioned for not adding it. :-)  I whole-heartedly agree that
it is indeed a subjective question, an entry in the FAQ such as:

"
  There really is no 'best' (window manager|distribution), the best one is
the one that works for you.  As is usually the case there is no substitute
for experience, although to aid you in you search here are some relevant links:

    [ links go here ]
"

or something along those lines.  Obviously I did not put real thought into
that, but it should serve to illustrate my thoughts on the matter.

  If you would care for some help maintaining the FAQ, I will make the offer.
I assume the tests you speak of are the Mindcraft tests?  I am not suggesting
an FAQ entry that ENDORSES any (window manager|distribution), but simply would
point to some relevant comparisons.  As the question "What is the best *?" has
been asked so much lately,  I wonder if people are not finding relevant information
on their searches.  To fix this potential problem I thought a consise entry in the
FAQ could consolidate links to relevant sites.

~~ 2.  Even if I were able to pick the "best" of a certain type of
~~     software, that would be no guarantee that it would be the
~~     best for your particular application, memory, HD and video
~~     configuration, network topology, and on and on.

Agreed, see above.

~~ It's a lot more efficient to provide the information so that
~~ someone can make as informed a judgment as possible.

Agreed, see above.

~~ Wow, I guess that was actually three or four reasons.  Thanks,

No, thank you for the reply.  Understand that I agree on all the points you
make, especially:

  "It's a lot more efficient to provide the information so that
   someone can make as informed a judgment as possible."

I think that the FAQ would be a good starting point as the question is
asked very frequently. :-)

Thanks Again!

anm
~ Andrew N. McGuire                                                      ~
~ [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                              ~
~ "Plan to throw one away; you will, anyhow." - Frederick P. Brooks, Jr. ~

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 00:24:53 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "J.T. Wenting" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8o9j4d$l8c$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > So you mean that you were ignorant until a few months ago ?
> >
> > I know alot of people that are very good technicaly but have
> > been focused on Windows. I wouldn't say that they are ignorant
> > becasue they have been focused on the Windows platform, after
> > all that is what people have been paid to know/support.
> > Companies have trained the staff on the windows enviroment
> > and to do it all over again is costly.
> >
> And do not forget that a lot of money is to be made creating software
for
> Windows, far more than creating for Linux or any other OS (except
maybe

www.dice.com
search string="Linux Oracle" results: 1210
search string="Linux" results: 5257
search string="NT Oracle" results: 8780

Oracle released Oracle 8i on Linux in 1999.

> mainframes, and I would not want one of those at home).
> If only for that, I need Windows (and for the far greater number of
> applications all round, of course).
>
> > You can't say that Linux is as easy as Windows and most people
> > just want to use the tools that are presented and don't give
> > a sh-t was underneeth.
> > Right or wrong that is how it is.
> >
> As long as Windows (and most of the tools to be had for it) are as
easy (if
> not easier) to use than their counterparts (if existent) on linux,
Windows

From: David Schreiber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.text.xml,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 00:30:02 GMT

In article <8o675d$bog$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Do you think that violating the spirit of XML would bother anyone who
wanted
> to claim that their programs use XML for their data files but still
want to
> lock the files into their programs.  An ASCII based file format
standard is
> not the panacea of portability that you seem to assume that it is.

The main advantage of XML is not that it is a human readable  ASCII
format.  For me the main advantage of working with XML is that there is
a well defined API for working with XML, and there are lots of
implementations of that API on different platforms.

Granted if the data within the XML elements is encrypted you still have
a problem - but at least an XML parser can tell where the element
begins and ends.

The DeCSS case shows how easy it is (technically if not legally) to
break encryption used to lock up data formats.

--
http://www.caverock.net.nz/~davids
Welcome to nowhere fast. Nothing here ever lasts.

From: "Mr. Ed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Borland C++ for Linux
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 19:48:08 -0500

I usually get my stuff from Sunsite (University of North Carolina).
Program descriptions can be found at the following links:

http://www.newplanetsoftware.com/jcc/
http://www.newplanetsoftware.com/medic/
http://www.linuxprogramming.com/Development_Tools/Debuggers/
http://www.concerto.demon.co.uk/UPS/main.html

Hope this helps.
Ed
===============

Stuart Mika Hankel wrote:

Any direction to go to? I don't know where to start searching for Linux
software. Do you know of a special ftp or something similar?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Where is Glibc-2.2?
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 00:36:30 GMT

I'm using Redhat 6.2 and am trying to install the newest RPMs (built for
Redhat) of Apache, PHP4, and MySQL.  Gnorpm is giving me dependency problems
with Apache and MySQL in regard to needing a few libraries from GLIBC version
2.2.

Is this a joke?  I can't find glibc-2.2 ANYWHERE - just a bunch of news
threads about bugs and problems with it.  Why are there Redhat RPMs that
depend on this library set if the stinking libraries aren't out yet?

If nothing else, I hear SuSe Linux is well suited for what I need to do and
me switch to that flavor of Linux.  Damned Redhat.

From: Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 01:39:20 +0100

Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>There won't be any permissions. Just like when you mount a dos
>filesystem under Linux. The dos files do not have permissions b/c they
>can't.  As for emailing, save the Staroffice document in Word format,
>however I believe Staroffice is only compatible up to Word97 so you are
>out of luck if the person uses Office 2000. Just save it and email it as
>Word97 if possible.

Doesn't Word 2000 read Word 97 files, then?

--
Garry Knight