From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thor Lancelot Simon)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.sgi.admin
Subject: Re: opengl on sgi linux machines?
Date: 29 Aug 2000 03:06:16 -0400

In article <8oedm9$6he$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Andy Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Dan Stromberg ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
>: I'm noticing that even tho intel/amd smokes mips in pure cpu
>: performance,
>
>Not on any code I've ever run.
>
>MIPS MHz x 2-3 = Intel MHz

Considering that SGI's best "MIPS MHz" to date is, in fact, generally running
about 1/3 commodity "Intel MHz", there you go.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon                                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        "And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"

------------------------------

From: Jeff Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help - what to do if X runs at bad resolution and graphical logins
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 07:06:17 GMT

At LILO, type:

LILO: linux init=/bin/bash

this is kind of like typing:
LILO: linux
(which you normally do, or is the default)
except that it just throws you into bash. Then you can mount the root
filesystem, etc (make sure you find out how to do this), then edit the file
'/etc/inittab' and change the line that has a 5 in it (the file is
commented, and the line is near the beginning, look for default runlevel) to
a 3. This boots you to runlevel 3(console) by default instead of 5(X). Then
reboot, make changes as necessary, and you can change the runlevel back if
you want to.

Hope this helps,
Jeff Davis

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Will Linux go bankrupt?
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 07:08:56 GMT

The future of money.

As we all know, in the United States and many other countries,
the government prints money as a way for people to trade goods
and services.

As we move into the new century, the money system is being changed.
The value of currency is now being based on a subjective (demand
based) rather than an objective (backed by gold) basis.

Before, when the government prints new money, they hold the same value
in gold in a vault somewhere.

Now, the government prints new money when inflation rate is low or loan
interest rate is high.

It is being based on demand.  The new money they create out of thin
air is loaned to banks at a low interest.  The banks end up loaning
the money to you or through a business.

The banks make money from the difference in interest rates on the loan
(you pay higher interest, and they collect the difference between
your rate and the rate they pay to the government).

Before, when the government gives money to the banks (a loan), they
make sure that they hold the same amount in gold in a vault somewhere.
But now they make more money out of thin air when they feel it is
time to pump the economy with money for growth.  When people have
money, they buy more stuff, which end up making the businesses
richer, which end up stimulating the economy.  (but if they
create too much money, inflation results because businesses know
people have a lot of money, so they can raise the prices, which ends
up making the dollar have less value: more money required to purchase
same product)

This is the same system used in companies that have an
Initial Public Offering.  The companies in the beginning have no
cash.  They end up creating stocks out of thin air (any number they
want).  Then they put the stocks out on the market and people purchase
the stocks.  If they are willing to pay 10.00 per stock, then each
made up stock is worth that much.  Usually the companies keep 30%
or more of the stock for themselves (for the presidents, CEO's,
founders, etc) and the other 70% of the shares
are offered to the public.  The money gotten from the public buying
the stocks is now the company's keep.  This is how they raise money.

But have you noticed something?  In the same case as the government
making cash out of thin air, the companies are creating cash out of
thin air.  The government prints new money (ANY amount they want).
Likewise, the companies creates stocks (ANY amount they want).
Whereas the banks purchase the new money (as a loan), the public
at large is purchasing the stocks (not a loan).  Whereas the
government is creating money out of thin air, and asking the banks
to give it back as a loan...  The companies are creating stocks out
of thin air and exchanging it for money from the public purchasing
the stocks.

Both are subjective.  The value of the stocks are based on how
much people are willing to pay per stock.  The value of money
from the government is based on how much businesses charge per item.
If the government releases a lot of money, then the value decreases.

For the companies the value of stocks have absolutely nothing to do with
the profit and loss of a company.  If the company is making a lot of
profit, but there is no demand for the stock, then each share
may be worth nothing.  If the company is making no money, but
there is demand for the stock, then each share may be worth a lot.
This is how most internet stocks work now.  There is demand, but
the internet companies are making no money, or is losing money.
The companies make money out of thin air and trade it for money
in an IPO (initial public offering).  Later if it needs more money,
it can create another million shares if it wants (but each time it
does, they dilute the percentage the founders and owners of the company
hold in the company in stock)  But if the public is still buying
the stocks, then the price they purchase still reflects the value of
each stock.

What does this mean?  This means that money is subjective.  Its
not real.  Its based on demand.  Like the government printing new
money, the companies are creating stocks that may end up creating
more money (if there is demand that drives up the prices) or sucking
up money (if no demand and the prices drop).

What does this lead to?  Demand based virtual money.  Some companies
have tried to emulate the system by creating cybermoney.  Money
created out of thin air and see if people are willing to exchange
services or products for them.  They will emulate the government,
creating new money to lend to cyberpeople and "bank-like" entities.
As the internet goes full force, connecting the world, a standard
cybermoney could become a viable solution to replace all the currencies.
Similar to the European Union's convergence to a single type of money.
(the EU).

So if Linux were to stay healthy, it can create cybermoney and
use it as a way to sustain itself.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Faux_Pseudo)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Difference between 'Mail' and 'mail'?
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 07:23:20 GMT

--(Once apon a time, in alt.os.linux,)--
                --(softrat` said it like only they can.)--
$What is the difference between the user directories 'Mail' and 'mail'?
$What generates them? May they be combined? How? Thank you for your help.
$
$the softrat
$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
$--
$"I've got some amyls.  We could either party later or, like, start his
$heart."
$-- "Cheech and Chong's Next Movie"
well now that the others have explaind the diff between them let me
cover the way to combine them
first apps like kmail and pine use the same mail box format
you can check your mail with kmail and open up pine to see what you got
and with pine you can apon startup you can hit S and C and change the dir's
you use to keep your mail

i use .mail because i like to keep ~/ as clean as possable
i think most all of the rest of the mail apps will alow you to reset the
dir that they use

--
 ._______.                                         ._______.
 | <> <> |  To all who say evolution is to slow to | <> <> |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: System hangup using Netscape
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 07:43:01 GMT

Hello,

I have installed SuSE 6.4 for the first time on my notebook with
the "standard"-installation. Everything works fine - LAN, Modem, etc.
But there is one problem: When I start Netscape (I've installed the
latest version provided by SuSE - version 4.75) in KDE logged in
as "root" and open some homepages, the whole System gets stuck after a
short time. I can't even move the mouse. there is no way to reboot the
machine; only a power-off reset. But if I use Netscape, logged in as
dummy-user, everything works. So I downloaded all patches for this SuSE
version and installed them, but the result is the same.
Does anybody have a similar experience? How can I fix this? It doesn't
even write a message in /var/log or elsewhere.

sincerely,
Philipp.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: System crash trashed all open files
Date: 29 Aug 2000 07:50:38 GMT

On 28 Aug 2000 19:58:55 GMT, Dances With Crows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"debugfs" can be your friend here, though if things like /bin/bash are
>corrupted, it'll be difficult to do anything.  man debugfs, and good
>luck.

That is, you might need this if ckfs does not fix all problems.  This is
one case where a small root file system is valuable as this would make
it less likely that the root file system gets damaged.  Repairing the
root file system can be real difficult as you need it to be mounted to
even do anything; except if you can boot with a root floppy.

Villy

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Using gnomeicu
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Kahari)
Date: 29 Aug 2000 09:51:04 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Dances With Crows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Andreas Kahari wrote:
>>> I have never used GnomeICU and I know that I never will, but I had no
>>> problems finding the documentation in the distribution tar-ball (it's
>>> HTML formatted for those who don't know how to read plain text files).
>>> Did you even try to *start* looking for the docs?
>On Mon, 28 Aug 2000 11:01:54 -0700, JCA wrote:
>>    Thanks for the info. Now how come you will never use it? Is
>>anything wrong with it? Do you know of any better ICQ programs
>>out there for Linux?
>
>Can't speak for Andreas, but I personally find real-time chat programs
>to be annoying since people expect me to talk to them right away and get
>annoyed when I don't respond immediately.  The asynchronous
>communication possible with E-mail and Usenet fits the way I do things
>much better, and Andreas may feel the same way.

Exactly.

>There are a whopping lot of ICQ programs available; go to
>http://freshmeat.net/ and search for "ICQ".  Try several out, pick the
>one you like the best, and be sure to read the documentation before you
>panic.  Every tarball comes with a README, and most come with a "doc"
>directory.

In fact, most programs comes with documentation in one form or
another. Start looking for a README and INSTALL file whenever you
install things from Freshmeat.

/A

--
Andreas Kähäri, <URL:http://hello.to/andkaha/>.
All junk e-mail will be reported to the appropriate authorities.

------------------------------

From: Ed Hurst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Finding files
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 21:19:48 -0500

Dux wrote:

> What is the best way to locate files if you don't know their paths.
> Ta.

You said it right-- "locate" is the command:

    locate foo.txt

would return with a full path listing for every file that has "foo.txt"
anywhere in the name. Using the old "find" command will take longer, but
is based on current reality (try "man find" for details); locate is
based on a database built once every 24 hours, or after you type the
command "updatedb".

Ed

------------------------------

Subject: [OT] Re: Will Linux go bankrupt?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Kahari)
Date: 29 Aug 2000 10:05:47 +0100

In article <8ofnhv$cka$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>The future of money.
[cut]

You are changing the topic on that very first line from "The future of
GNU/Linux" (rewrite of the subject line) to "The future of money".
Unfortunately economics is off topic in comp.os.linux.misc, even
"cybermoney".

GNU/Linux will stay healthy because it is licensed under the GNU
General Public License (GPL) and may thus be sold or given away for
free as long as the source code for the kernel is distributed and all
changes to it are well documented. Re-read the GNU GPL at
<URL:http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html>. The GNU GPL may be (and
is) discussed in detail in the gnu.misc.discuss forum.

Also note that GNU/Linux is not a country and can't "create cybermoney
and use it as a way to sustain itself". Not even large companies can
do that, yet.

*plonk*

/A

From: Alexis Cousein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.sgi.admin
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 10:06:44 +0200

Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> In article <8oedm9$6he$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Andy Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Dan Stromberg ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> >
> >: I'm noticing that even tho intel/amd smokes mips in pure cpu
> >: performance,
> >
> >Not on any code I've ever run.
> >
> >MIPS MHz x 2-3 = Intel MHz
>
> Considering that SGI's best "MIPS MHz" to date is, in fact, generally running
> about 1/3 commodity "Intel MHz", there you go.

On his code, perhaps -- there are enough codes where a 1 GHz PIII gets a
handsome spanking by a MIPS R12KA-400 processor.

--
<standard disclaimer: these are my personal views, not SGI's>
Alexis Cousein                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Subject: Re: help--- Terminal not fully functional message?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Kahari)
Date: 29 Aug 2000 10:11:19 +0100

I'm not saying anything about security here, but see what your TERM
variable is set to ("echo $TERM") and if it's set to nothing or to
something strange, try setting it to "vt100" ("export TERM=vt100").

/A

From: Jonathan McBrien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't ping
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 08:05:47 GMT

Hi,

I've just installed Mandrake 7.0 and can't ping any machine on my
network.

I've got the 3c509 nic installed OK and assigned the IP address, subnet
mask, etc. correctly as per a previous installation of Red Hat. I can
ping the ethernet card's IP without problems, but no other machine on
the network.

Bizarrely, if I boot my Windows 98 partition (which has exactly the
same IP address, etc. as the Mandrake partition) I can ping, etc. as
expected.

I've tried everything I can think of but can't get this to work. Any
ideas?

--
# Jonathan McBrien
# jonathan  [at]  m c b r i e n  [d0t]  0rg

From: Edward Westin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Fetchmail Bad or Corrupted Format
Date: 29 Aug 2000 01:20:24 -0700

I have gotton fetchmail to work (Mandrake 7.0) with a -m procmail
option and have managed to get the mail from yahoo.com POP3 server
placed into /var/spool/mail/alien (alien is the user).  The problem is
that none of the user agents eg. mutt, mail, pine will recognize the
file as a mail file.  I examined the file with another similar file
taken from the same server by netscape and I noticed that the only
difference is the first line:

>From - Mon Aug 28 14:15:35 2000

I added that line to the same file and now all three readers can read
it.  Why is the line not being added by fetchmail or procmail?  Does
anyone understand this?  Any comments would be most appreciated.
Thanks.

Below is the file without that (From - Mon Aug 28 14:15:35 2000) line
above:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Line Missing Here >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Monday 8:29am Test
From: Edward Westin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 28 Aug 2000 08:25:27 -0700

This is a test using procmail switch.

Just running fetchmail without the procmail option does not get
anything into my /var/spool/mail/usr file...

------------------------------

From: Neil Zanella <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux question: sound devices and multiple sound files
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 06:02:53 -0230

Hello,

A long while ago I heared that under Linux it was possible to play
multiple mp3s _simultaneously_ by creating multiple device files or
something like that. Is this true? If so then how can this be
achieved?

Thanks!

Neil

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Linux spontaneously changes time
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 06:49:10 GMT

[Non-existant newsgroup col.questions removed. Shoot your
newsadmin for _still_ carrying this group which has been
superseded ~5 years ago).

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Wong) writes:

>One of my Red Hat 6.2 systems is spontaneously changing its system
>clock. I'm quite puzzled at this, since it is hardly running anything,
>not even crond. The only major app running is Sun's Java runtime
>(1.2.2). Here are some clues:

>1. Always changes by -4hrs. My local time zone is EST5EDT. So it looks
>   timezone-related.

[...]

It is. Your HW clock is most likely set to localtime - which is
not the default setting assumed by UN*X. Set it to GMT, then the
switch will not happen anymore.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Hampf)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 11:02:35 +0300

Alex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> hélt þessu fram:
:
: Just an add on...
: Kmail also use Mail...

So does Mutt.  You can make mail a symbolic link to Mail if you need
both of them.

rh

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Phil)
Subject: Re: LILO Died - Partition Not Found
Date: 29 Aug 2000 10:10:29 GMT

Brian Smith -[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]- spewed forth the following rubbish:
>fdisk shows /dev/hda1 to be bootable.
>
>If I look at hda1 under Diskdrake, it shows
>Mount point:   /
>Device:           hda1
>Type:                Linux native
>Size:                2992 MB(97%)
>Formatted
>Mounted
>Partition booted by default
>   (for MS-DOS boot, not for lilo)
>
>It's the last line that worries me. Attempting to boot the hard drive gets as
>far as LI and stalls.
>Do you have any other advice.

Have you tried installing an updated version of LiLo? I remember Slackware 3.4
used to bomb out on me, with the same thing.
http://judi.greens.org/lilo/download.shtml
This new version avoids the 1024 cylinder thing, afaik, which also might be your
problem.
Phil.