From: Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Finding your clock speed
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 00:19:00 +0100

--
Garry Knight

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Quentin Christensen)
Subject: Re: Hot Spammer losing account! was: Re: hot ladies posing for you!   8753
Date: 30 Aug 2000 00:17:40 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc, on 30 Aug 2000, mst announced:

>Quentin Christensen wrote:
>>
>> In comp.os.linux.misc, on 29 Aug 2000,  announced:
>>
>> >http://www.geocities.com/increase_income_now
>>
>> Why would "hot ladies" who are posing for me, have a website
>> "increase_income_now"???
>>
>> I'm not real good with filing abuse reports, but sent a couple off
>> anyway
>> :)
>>
>> Someone else might be better at it.
>>

>Why don't you use Spamcop (http://spamcop.net)?
>
>MST

Um, I'm not sure... I did see it once, and for some reason was thinking
you had to pay for it or something.... I'm not sure, temporary brain
damage last time I went to the site or something :)

Thanks,

Quentin.
--
My Freeware: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mynx/quentisl/freeware.html
Please don't send me junk leaves! (take them out before replying).

No Silicon Heaven?  But where do all the calculators go? - Kryten.

------------------------------

From: "Jason" <Jason(AT)cyborgworkshop.com>
Subject: Re: Need Web Info On Linux OK Hardware
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 19:19:22 -0500

Pick the distro that you would like to run, then go to their website and
look at their Hardware Compatibility List (HCL).
redhat www.redhat.com for example has one at
http://www.redhat.com/support/hardware/

You will find something similar at all the distro web sites.

--
                         Jason
          www.cyborgworkshop.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Rysdam)
Subject: Re: Netscape Sucks, I need another option.
Date: 29 Aug 2000 23:31:56 GMT

------------------------------

From: MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Disk clone redux follow-up
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 17:21:21 -0700

MH wrote:

> Following the advice given in a response to someone else's question
> about cloning a system disk, I was delighted to find that a simple cp
> /dev/sda /dev/sdb command creates a perfect, bootable backup system
> drive (assuming the drives are physically identical). Very cool.  Just
> enter the above command in cron and run it daily and you have the best
> backup solution there is unless you need off-site storage, IMO.  It's
> faster, more reliable, and cheaper than tape, not to mention a helluva
> lot easier if you need to restore your system rather than simply
> restoring data.
>
> I tried using the same technique on a dual-boot system, and I think it
> worked, since the cloned image of the Windows partition appears as drive
> D: under Windows.  However, drive D: does not appear in fdisk (DOS
> version), which seems odd.  Also, I cannot mount any of the Linux
> partitions from the cloned drive, which also seems odd. Also, df and
> fdisk don't report the partitions correctly.
>
> When I have some time, I'll physically disable my system drive,
> re-jumper the clone drive, and attempt a boot to see if the clone is
> actually usable.
> --

It works. Windows partition, everything. Sweet.

--
Don't waste your vote.  Vote Green or don't vote at all.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.text.xml,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux, XML, and assalting Windows
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 00:21:12 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  bobh{at}haucks{dot}org wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Aug 2000 04:09:06 GMT, paul snow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> >Bob Hauck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> In a pile of bits on the hard disk.
> >
> >So, your OS is in storage. And Obviously that storage can be
changed, so
> >long as the reasonable set of changes possible are documented.
>
> Sure, certainly.  And being able to do this correctly is tantamount to
> re-implementing the file system layer of your OS.

Of all the complexity of a modern OS, this is only a very small part of
it.  In the case of Linux, I already have an implementation (Linux
itself) and I can use it just as long as it is a different one than the
one I am supporting.

Or I can simply be *logically* separate, running within the OS and
giving up on supporting those constructs that I can't change while the
OS is running.  I still get most of my advantages with this approach.

> >All that about how you would have to stop the OS to manage it.  Give
> >that up too.  Surely you can figure out at least one way around
that.
> >I can think of several, depending on the OS.
>
> Given the agressive caching done by modern operating systems, it is
not
> a trivial problem to change the filesystem out from under them without
> causing inconsistencies between what the operating system's idea of
the
> filesystem is and what it really is.  And if that happens, your system
> is toast.  This sort of thing can probably be done, but not trivially
> and yes the method would depend on the OS.  I thought we were trying
> get away from that.

That is certainly one way to approach the problem.  Another, easier way
might be to simply use an agent that runs within the OS to modify
structures that can be modified while the OS runs.  Most of the
structures likely fall in this category.

Keep in mind too that the modifications we are talking about are those
involved in configuration management.  This does not have anything to
do with the typical operation of the execution environment itself.  If
we are simply verifying the system, then all we need is read access.
An agent can perform this for us in almost all cases.

Changes don't generally have to be made unless I am already modifying
the system's configuration.

> >Suppose the hard disk crashes.  I can buy another, and assuming I can
> >lay my hands on all my CDs, I can rebuild my machine yet again
(losing
> >only my unqiue work, if I failed to transfer it too to some external
> >storage).  And I supply all the answers to all the decision points
yet
> >one more time.
>
> I've had hard disk crashes and not ever had to reinstall using the
> standard installers that make you answer questions.  Boot up from
> floppy, partition and format the disk, restore from the most recent
> backup.  Reboot.  Done.  But then, I don't use Windows.

Is there *any* circumstance that you might imagine constructing a
computer system from the initial installation medium?  And besides, I
don't think this situation has any sensitivity to Linux vs Windows.

Backups are backups, good to have, great when they just work.  I don't
think I have ever claimed otherwise, and in fact have repeatedly
pointed out that the fact that outside construction of the disk (disk
images, disk copies, and other outside means of constructing and
configuring storage like backups) are indicative of principles that we
can get more leverage out of than we are currently.

> >Are you really saying no standard form, with a single separate
install
> >facility for a given computer system can be reasonably define that is
> >equivalent to running a bunch of installs off a set of CDs?
>
> I don't think I said it was impossible.  I think I said that it was
> much more difficult that you seem to think it is.  You are describing
> abstractions and just ignoring the nitty-gritty implementation details
> that make it complicated to actually do.  If you think it is worth
what
> might be years of effort, well, then you are free to start work.  If
> you come back in six months with a prototype that does a subset of
what
> you want and it shows promise, then some folks might actually want to
> help you.  That's how it works.

You are simply being purposely dense.

You haven't pointed out a single nitty-gritty detail that makes the
approach I have described any more difficult than what we are doing
today (from a developer's point of view or install facility point of
view).  You think I am ignoring the implementation details, then give
me one.  Just one example of something an application needs to have
constructed in storage during an install that is in any way more
difficult to describe in XML and interpreted by a separate installation
facility as compared to describing it for a tool like NeXT packages,
RPM or even Installshield.

In fact, as you might guess, this model is likely to be far easier on
Windows than what that world is doing now.

Keep in mind that the separate installation facility gets to cheat.
While it might be nice to be a pure, literally separate facility, most
of the advantages are gained even if it is only a logically separate
facility. At the very least it can duplicate the advantages of RPM
(since the XML is easily versioned and we can specify prerequisites).

But a single, separate facility can also record the install parameters
(and/or take them as XML) so that they can be used to duplicate fully
configured, multiple installs onto other existing machines. (This is
useful if you need the same basic configuration of a number of software
components, but the targets are not homogenous.)

The XML can also be fairly easily extended to describe distributed
installs. (Most of the time a distributed install amounts to a set of
parameters for each machine based on its role; Pretty easy to describe
in XML)

The magic of XML?  No, like any decent algorithm, it can be implemented
in any language.  It would probably be just as easy or easier to simply
extend RPM as a format, and beef up the implementation.  Support of
other platforms would amount to porting the code and adding features to
handle differences required of the other file systems and Operating
Systems.

All you need is a structured, extendable format that can describe
storage.  XML fits the bill, but that fact seems to cause you grief,
and the use of the term seems to trip you up.  So ignore it already.

Besides, in six months I am willing to bet you are going to see the
first products delivered using this approach.

Paul Snow

From: vlado <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: scsi bus resets with aic7xxx
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 09:54:31 +0100

Thanks Dave,

>> I've run up on a "cute" problem with receiving scsi bus resets under

> > heavy load.
>
> If you've already got current drivers, then check cable lengths.

cable lengths are ok - less than 1.5m

> > Hardware details
> > ------------
> > Motherboard - ASUS P2B-DS SCPI Rev1012
> >                            Award bios v4.51p6
> >                           with onboard Adaptec 7890 bios v.2.11
> >
> > "HD"    - ZERO-D  400 IDE-RAID  system, firmware v.2.2W
>
> You don't say what kind of SCSI bus you have (Ultra, Ultra-Wide,
> Ultra-2, etc.)

Ultra Wide SCSI Single Ended $) MB/sec data rate

> If you mix different device types on a single bus, your overall limit is
> the tightest limit of all the devices.

There is just one single device, which is properly terminated.

Well, to sum it up a little:
   - very low chance of a cabling/termination problems - a single device on
the bus, properly terminated,
      anyway I tested the setup with several different scsi cables,
terminators with the same results.
   - the ZERO-D box behaves properly, in other enviroments - SGI Octane,
but I haven't tried VERY heavi loads there
       this is what I am going to do the next couple of hours
   - the SCSI tiomeouts which cause the resets appear under a heavy load  -
with vmstat I get a constant 1 - processes in
       uninterruptable sleep - presumably blocked io

The chances are more towards a bug/undocumented feature of the AHA2940UW
controller and/or a related aic7xxx driver behaviour.

Anyway, things and solutions of the sort of no_resets does not cure the
problem of the occuring bus timeouts.

Cheers,
    Vlado

------------------------------

From: vlado <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.suse,comp.os.linux.setup,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Restaurant Booking System
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 10:46:18 +0100

> What I would like to know is are there any linux based applications
> available out there that would allow online bookings, and hopefully would
> also allow this to be done for multiple locations.

Well, you could have a look at the various "shopping cart"  apps available for
php, perl, zope, java and some other more exotic.
have a look at:
  php.org
  zend.org
  www.enhydra.org
  I dont't remember the URLs of the others but you can alwways do some smart
search :)

Cheers,
    Vlado

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.text.xml,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 00:30:57 GMT

In article <8ogup7$ea4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> paul snow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:RQNq5.22657$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:8off6l$f3c$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > > Have you not ever encountered or heard of any of these system?
>
> > Of course.  But how is the persistent state of a swich interestingly
> > different than storage?  Or in other words, how is this
computational
> model
> > significantly different than a Turing machine? (Hint: it isn't)
>
> I was not addressing my reply in any way to your citation of Turing
machines
> since your citation was an invalid attempt to try to falsely
intellectualize
> your position.  I for one am not foolish enough to fall into your
trap that
> you have not even tried to hide.
>
> What persistance?  The switches used in this style are higly volatile
more
> so than core storage and are perhaps the equals of the processor's
registers
> in terms of the survivalibility of the data.  Those toggle switches
used to
> provide the machine code instruction the the processor a byte or word
at a
> time are not used for storage.  They are a means of communications to
with
> the processor or to the core storage.  If you consider those toggles
as
> storage then you would have to consider the keyboards as storage as
well
> because they are used for a similar purpose.

You are simply being emotional, and as fun as it is to argue with you,
I really don't have the time.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Netscape and video/x-ms-asf
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 00:43:41 GMT

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000 23:11:54 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Netscape 4.73 on Linux (Caldera 2.4) says it doesn't
>know about video/x-ms-asf files even though I have
>added that mime type.

Are you sure that the server is actually using the correct mime type?

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: jpeglib.h errors during Ghostscript Make
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 00:37:11 GMT

The hardware:
PentIII
128MB RAM
10G Hard drive

The software:
Mandrake 7.1 (new clean install)
GhostScript 6.01 (fresh download from
sourceforge.net)

The problem:

We continually get error messages about the
additional libraries not being defined properly
in the makefile. Here's the lines from the last
Make capture:

./obj/echogs -e .dev -a-  ./obj/psf0read -oper
zcfont zfcmap zfont0
./obj/echogs -e .dev -w- -l-obj ./obj/compfont -
include ./obj/psf0lib ./obj/psf0
read
make: *** No rule to make target
`jpeg/jpeglib.h', needed by `obj/jpeglib0.h'.
Stop.

Now, in the src tree, there are these files:

79 mandlinux % ls -la !$
ls -la *g.mak*
-rw-r--r--   1 root     system     14992 Mar 09
03:40 jpeg.mak
-rw-r--r--   1 root     system      6897 Mar 09
03:40 libpng.mak
80 mandlinux %

We're using the normal make file link as
described in the docs:

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     system        16 Aug 11
14:36 Makefile -> src/unix-gcc.m
ak

Sooo, what do we have to do to get this to work?
Does anyone have any changes that they have used
in either the main .mak files or the jpeg,
libpng, etc. Makefiles?

There must be a very simple solution here, but
after two weeks of trying we're just not seeing
it.

Should we make the jpeg and other libraries
separately, then install them into the
/usr/local/lib,include trees? Wouldn't we then
also have to change to main Makefile to look
there instead of the existing gs src tree?

Or is there something that needs to be done in
the other .mak files to get some more defines for
these libraries to get made, linked, and compiled.

Any help would be very much appreciated!
Thanks in advance, really!

-R

Roger Jagoda
Cornell University

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ISP and resolv.conf prob.
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 00:42:42 GMT

Recently, just join a second ISP, but everytime I dial through linux,
the resolv.conf is not automatically updated.

I currently have to change resolv.conf manually. Is there a way to
update resolv.conf automatically?

I have looked at dhcpcd and pump, both packages are available in the
RedHat CD, but both of them seems to be related to network card, I'm a
PPP user and only use it for connecting to internet. No network card
installed on comp.

This second ISP indicated that IP, Netmask and Gateway should all be
handle by DHCP but the DNS is supplied. How should I go round doing
that?

Another question is the iniscript package, it shows up as having
ip-up/down and ifup/down, can someone pls indicate what are their
differences, some documents refers to them as if they are the same.

Pls help, appreciate any replies.

current linux system is:
         Redhat 6.2 (with updates)
         xisp 2.6p1 as ppp dialer

CN

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Newbie, Help, CLI Commands,
Date: 30 Aug 2000 01:03:40 GMT

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000 18:51:11 -0500, Andrew N. McGuire  wrote:
>On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Eric Potter quoth:
>~~ > I need to delete an entire directory with files and subdirectories. Is
>~~ > there a command such as deltree?
>~~ rm -rf directory
>Why the '-f'?  The man page for rm states:
>"
>-f     Do not prompt for confirmation. Do not write diagnostic messages.
>       Do not produce an error return status if the only errors were
>       nonexisting files.
>
>I would think that for a newbie (read: someone who is prone to making
>errors), that the user would want confirmation for read-only files, etc.
>Then again he may not, but better safe than sorry. :-)

Just try deleting a directory containing 50+ files using "rm -ri".  It
gets really annoying, even though it's safe.  If you're using -f,
*DOUBLE-CHECK THE COMMAND LINE*.  It's too easy to type something like
"rm -f * .ppm" and blow away a month's worth of stuff....

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Those who do not understand Unix are
http://www.brainbench.com     /   condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
=============================/           ==Henry Spencer

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 30 Aug 2000 01:09:13 GMT

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000 21:38:26 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>I am looking for several web sites on Linux hardware compatibility
>sites. Since I am planning to build a Linux-only computer, I would
>like to know what hardware components are okay to use. By the
>way, I have searched it on the web, but the number of hits are so
>many. . .

http://linhardware.com/ is a good general site.  Basically, all x86
processors are supported, all Ethernet cards are supported, most
graphics cards that are > 3 months old are supported (along with some of
the newer ones), almost every CD-(RW) is supported, ZIPs and LS-120s are
supported, and Real Modems and Real Printers are supported.

For things like sound cards and USB devices, it's wise to check first.
Most sound cards are supported, but some are much easier to get working
than others.  A lot of USB things work if you're willing to do some
fiddling about with experimental kernels and/or run the Mandrake/SuSE
stock kernels with their USB backports.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William W.)
Subject: Re: what to choose
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 01:09:53 GMT

In our last episode (Tue, 29 Aug 2000 12:49:15 +0200),
the artist formerly known as André Solheim said:
>In the near future i plan to make the change from Microsoft OS to Linux, but
>I am not quite sure what it is the best Linux distribution out there.
>I consider myself as very skilled when it comes to computers and computer
>systems. (Currently holds the MCSE certification)
>I have recently looked at both Caldera Open Linux and Redhat 5.2, Redhat 6.1
>and Redhat 6.2.
>I plan to use the system with "all the bells and whistles on", mail, web
>news, samba etc.
>
>I also require a system that is highly configurable and one that I can use
>to test out security features such as encryption, firewall etc.

Pretty much all Linux distributions will give you this. Something like
Red Hat will give you later versions of applications, while something
like Debian will provide older but proven (stable) packages. In any
event, Linux is Linux, so anything that is available for one you can
compile and run on another.

Since Linux CDs are dirt cheap, I'd suggest just getting a few on CD and
trying them out.

--
It is pitch black.
You are likely to be spammed by a grue.