  summarize disk usage (Arlan Lucas de Souza)

Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 15:23:12 +0200
From: Julius Apweiler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: rec.music.filk,alt.2600,rec.humor
Subject: Re: FYA - Parody: Microsoft Pie (The Day the Servers Died)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Microsoft Pie - To the tune of "American Pie" by Don McClean

How about:

http://www.aolwatch.org/pie.htm

====================
Julius Dominik Apweiler
----
Owner of Julius' Web Site: http://www.geocities.com/jule-apweiler/
----
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
----
'What's _that_?' said Ron, pointing at a large dish of some sort of shellfish
stew that stood beside a large steak-and-kidney pudding.
'Bouillabaisse,' said Hermione.
'Bless you,' said Ron.
'It's _French_,' said Hermione. 'I had it on holiday, summer before last, it's
very nice.'
'I'll take your word for it,' said Ron, helping himself to black pudding.
(from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Justin B Willoughby)
Subject: One Module Two Net Cards...
Date: 1 Sep 2000 21:17:57 GMT

Hi All!

I am setting up a Linux based firewall which fits on a floppy. I can't
seem to figure out how to load one eithernet module for two cards. I can't
load the module more then once so there must be a way to specify both irqs
and io ports on the command line.

I tried:

insmod eexpress io=0x270 irq=10 io=0x300 irq=5

But this just loads the module for the last card at io=0x300.

Also, I am using syslinux to load the kernel and filesystem image off a
floppy drive so I can't append any thing via lilo.conf

What am I missing?

- Justin
--
   _/     _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/    _/ _/   _/   = Justin Willoughby   =
  _/       _/    _/_/  _/  _/    _/   _/_/     = I use SlackWare!!   =

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jynx)
Subject: Re: Pine has no BCC option?
Date: 01 Sep 2000 21:22:55 GMT

On Fri, 01 Sep 2000 20:26:04 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] scribbled:
>Pine has no BCC option? Or is it somewhere in the setup that I can't
>find. If that is it, where is it?

And .... this belongs in comp.os.linux.misc?

When in compose ...
place your cursor in the email headers ...
smash ^R (for "R"ich headers) ...

------------------------------

From: Bruce Stephens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Caching files from CD---problem when playing MP3s on CD
Date: 01 Sep 2000 22:12:23 +0100

For convenience, I've stuck lots of MP3 files onto a CD.  However,
when I try playing them using freeamp (say), I find the CD is pretty
constantly active, which is annoying and wasteful---especially on a
laptop.

What's going wrong?  Why isn't the 5M or so file just buffered?  Hmm,
or does file buffering work per block or something?

More importantly, what might I try to avoid this behaviour?  Is there
some setting I can change to alter the behaviour of this?

I don't think I'm chronically short of memory---there should be enough
free to buffer the typical 5 or 10M file.

Alternatively, once upon a time, Linux-FT (the distribution from the
now-defunct small company Lasermoon) had a neat feature: it installed
basically everything from its CD, only some things (user selectable)
were installed essentially as symbolic links to the CD.  The idea was
that you ran the system with the CD in the drive, and if you asked for
files that weren't installed, it would install them (and unused files
would be removed, replaced by symbolic links).  (This was back when
650M was quite a lot of disk space.)

The same sort of idea strikes me as possible for what I want: I just
need a user-mode filesystem (and I'm sure I've seen such things
around, although I don't recall the name), and it could layer on the
CDROM---each time a file is opened, it could copy it to somewhere on
the hard disk and operate on that.  Similarly, these temporary copies
could be deleted.

Does this seem feasible to anyone else?  Any hints as to what I can
look at to make doing this easier?

------------------------------

From: Darren Wyn Rees <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux Mail Server
Date: 1 Sep 2000 21:25:05 GMT

Chris Stratford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On the MTA front, I'd go for either Sendmail or Postfix.  Sendmail's
> big and cumbersome, but it will do pretty much everything you'd need.
> postfix is much smaller and easier to use, but more limiting with what
> you can do with it.  I'd avoid Qmail if at all possible - it has
> definite problems when things get that large.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Would you define one or two definites ?

--
Darren Wyn Rees             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ASK your ISP to ADD the NEW england.* Newsgroups

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: One Module Two Net Cards...
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 17:45:15 -0400

Perhaps
 insmod eexpress io=0x270,0x300 irq=10,5

I used this syntax with the ne.o module for  two cards.

It depends on the module what it can accept thiough.

HTH

------------------------------

From: Brian & Colleen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: AbiWord - could not load the following font...
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 14:45:28 -0700

If I run abiword as root it works fine. Under my own username it  gives
the message:
"AbiWord could not load the following font from the X Window System
display server.
    [-*-Times New Roman-regular-r.....]

Then it goes no further. Close the error dialog and the main window
leaves too.

$ which abiword
gives /usr/bin/abiword for both accounts and all directories/files seem
to have at least "r-x" for everyone,  all the way down.

The error message suggests an incomplete AbiSuite installation (done by
standard install, incompatibility with X display server or problem
communicating with remote font server -- shouldn't be any remote. It's a
one-terminal box. It also suggests it should be invoked through the
wrapper shell script which sets upt the AbiSuite font directory on the
fly before it runs the executable. Obviously most of the pieces are
there, if the user has enough clout.

Any other  suggestions?

-
 Brian & Colleen Smith
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 http://mypage.direct.ca/g/greybria

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 17:50:46 -0400

Can you use hdparm to activate dma transfers on the cdrom alone ?
This won't cause it to buffer everything, but should decrease the amount of
time it spends reading. The drive motor would still be running, though.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Justin B Willoughby)
Date: 1 Sep 2000 21:47:55 GMT

 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
> Perhaps
>  insmod eexpress io=0x270,0x300 irq=10,5
>
> I used this syntax with the ne.o module for  two cards.
>
> It depends on the module what it can accept thiough.

Thanks! I will give that I try. I assumed there must be some way of
listing both io's and irq's.

- Justin
--
   _/     _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/    _/ _/   _/   = Justin Willoughby   =
  _/       _/    _/_/  _/  _/    _/   _/_/     = I use SlackWare!!   =

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Script Kiddies?
Date: 1 Sep 2000 22:00:06 GMT

David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Someone said:
: ' It'll take script kiddies ages to to sort that out.

: What are script kiddies?  Are these people who write complex shell,

I think of them as being like those japanese animated cartoons in the mornings
on TV.

: Perl, Tcl, Python, etc programs and scripts, or are these people who
: are stuck in BASIC?  Or are these people who simply do not know C?

I think they're probably cgi sniffers. Can be found in any virtual
neighbourhood.

: I want to know!

Nods.

From: "Yura" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: monitoring the memory usage
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 22:42:01 GMT

Gnome comes with a whole bundle of utilities (memory eaters:) that can monitor you
anything -
even wheater!

------------------------------

From: Bruce Stephens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: 01 Sep 2000 23:19:51 +0100

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Can you use hdparm to activate dma transfers on the cdrom alone ?
> This won't cause it to buffer everything, but should decrease the
> amount of time it spends reading. The drive motor would still be
> running, though.

I'll certainly try that.  However, I don't think that's the issue:
this is a O(5M) file, and it's going to be read in little bits for O(5
minutes).  There isn't really a speed issue there---any CDROM can read
data at that rate!

The irritation is that (it seems) the CDROM is intermittently active
just about all the time.

I don't want to copy the entire CD to hard disk---however, I guess I
could copy it one directory at a time.  That would be fine for this
particular one (it's the BBC radio Lord of the Rings, which I have on
13CDs, but 1 is much easier to carry around, so pretty sequential
listening is what I'm likely to do).  A more general solution would
still be nice, IMHO.

------------------------------

From: Andres Soolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 1 Sep 2000 22:54:56 GMT

Vincent Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Someone who is really good at discovering ways to break into
> systems would be called a cracker.
Not necessarily--a hacker might also be good at that.  It's one
of the reasons free software is so secure.

Now, the one who actually uses his/her abilities at breakin for
cracking purposes would surely be called a cracker.  When the
breakins are illegitimate, that is--there are the samurai too.
(It's a pretty complicated matter actually.)

> Now when one of the smarter
> guys posts his "script" for breaking into a system to a cracker
> website, then thousands of "script kiddies" will use it. They are
Again, it's not necessarily like that.  The script (or exploit,
as it's also called) is useful for legitimate purposes, like testing
if one's system is vulnerable or not.  Also, most of the scripts
end up on cracker websites, no matter where there are posted
initially.  There are people who are specialized just at that--looking
for new exploits to post them but not being smart enough to create
them.

The script kiddies are folks who, having too much free time at their
disposal, use it to apply the scripts found at those websites to
machines that happen to get on the way.  They very rarely have specific
purposes other than `rewt' or `0wn' other's machines.

> called that because they are usually younger, and generally not
It seems like they get bored of that `hobby' after a while, and get lost.
Unfortunately, I don't know where they go, but I've strong suspicions
the plentitude of MCSEs might have to do something with that :-)
It also might be they're graduating their highschools.

> enough to have read the websites for exploits and tools, and to
> launch attacks on a lot of machines until they break into a few.
By the way, most of the medium-range scans on Internet are initiated
by ordinary script kiddies looking for potential victims.  Generally,
if many machines are scanned for a single port (looking for a single
known vulnerability), it's a script kiddie who has a script but no
victim (yet); a cracker looking for a way to break into a certain machine
scans (not necessarily meaning opening many ports on a machine in
a short time span) only that machine (and it's neighbors) and tries to
leave as few footprints as possible--just like Vincent said.  A real
cracker often does much more in order to achieve a way to the system
than just using the bugs in the software, such as applying social
engineering, for example, and has good funding and team.  Real crackers
cracking just for fun are a rare minority.

> an entire system for fun, and won't launch Denial of Service
> attacks on their IRC buddies. A real cracker will probably pass
> through completely undetected, and doing no real harm which might
> get them noticed.
... which is the evilest thing of all :-)

--
Andres Soolo   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Tax reform means "Don't tax you, don't tax me, tax that fellow behind
the tree."
                -- Russell Long

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Francis Fan)
Subject: Mount Solaris from Linux
Date: 1 Sep 2000 22:54:55 GMT

Hi,

 I was trying to mount a Solaris 2.6 subdirectory, /export/home/jlu
from a RedHat 6.1. And /export/home/jlu is a subdirectory of filesystem
/export/home. The problem is I have no problem mounting /export/home
but just couldn't mount /export/home/jlu. I got this error when try
to mount it,

# mount berlin:/export/home/jlu /home
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on berlin:/export/home/jlu,
       or too many mounted file systems

The strange thing is I have no problem doing it in Solaris 2.5 and 7.

 Does anyone saw this problem before? Please give me a help.

Thanks

--Francis

------------------------------

From: "Rinaldi J. Montessi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Finding your clock speed
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 19:00:00 -0400

Naren Devaiah wrote:

> "Peter T. Breuer" wrote:
> >
> > Sjoerd Langkemper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > : "Naren Devaiah" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > :> cat /proc/cpuinfo
> >
> > : Argh! The first line indicates I have zero CPU's in my computer! So what's
> > : my clock speed?
> >
> > The first line indicates you can't count :-). Or can't read singular
> > nouns. Or have too high a sarcasm content.
> >
> > : processor       : 0
> >
> > : bogomips        : 31.85
> >
> > man bogomips. Or read the bogosity howto.
> >
> > Peter
>
> Sarcasm aside (of which I find quite a bit !) what the output says is
> that the first CPU (Processor 0) is a Cyrix (or similar) and the kernel
> is not able to determine the speed.
> Bogomips isn't a true reflection of actual CPU speed.
>
> There are a few utilities (sorry I cannot recall their location - maybe
> on metalab.unc.edu) which attempt to measure the CPU speed. You should
> try them.
>
> -Naren
> --
> Opinions expressed are my own an no one else's!
> (s/_at_/@/ to reply via email)

~/# cat /proc/cpuinfo

--
Rinaldi]$
Here in Florida, we have a billion-dollar plan to teach third-grade

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 1 Sep 2000 19:00:14 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Pine has no BCC option? Or is it somewhere in the setup that I can't
> find. If that is it, where is it?

Sure it does. Did you read the dox? Often it does not show up on the
screen (there are a lot of headers) but if you have the cursor in the
header section, try CTRL-R (that should expand to the headers). The pinerc
file (which you can edit manually or use the setup option on) has a
section where you can choose which headers appear when you compose a
message. There is help if you use the configure setup options from within
PINE (will tell you the headers you can put there). Personally I leave BCC
hidden (as I use it so seldom) and CTRL-R with the cursor in the header
section to make it available (CTRL-R in the message body reads in a file).

------------------------------

From: Arlan Lucas de Souza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: summarize disk usage
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 21:42:07 -0300

Why I have two different results when I try summarize the disk usage of my
$HOME directory?

[arlan@alpha arlan]$ du -shc
45M     .
45M     total