Linux-Misc Digest #747, Volume #25               Tue, 12 Sep 00 23:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Adding RAM to RedHat Linux (Mike)
  Re: Anyone want to be part of a new website...? (DCE)
  Desktop bigger than screen/display ("Ben Addis")
  Oracle/Java/Linux ("Buck Turgidson")
  Re: soundblaster 128 pci setup help: kerenl 2.2.17 support? ("Bill Piety")
  Re: How to grep for date? (Steve)
  Re: file permissions. (Steve)
  Re: Handling gif/jpg from command line. (Jean-Sebastien Morisset)
  Re: POP & SMTP servers ("scott")
  Re: How to grep for date? ("Andrew N. McGuire ")
  Re: Windows or Linux for games? ("Mr. Ed")
  Re: postgres : how recuperate old database files (ljb)
  Re: Oracle/Java/Linux ("Mr. Ed")
  Re: End-User Alternative to Windows
  Re: How to grep for date? (Floyd Davidson)
  Corel Linux won't boot!? Hangs indefinitely at startup (Ken)
  Re: Handling gif/jpg from command line. (Vilmos Soti)
  Re: Handling gif/jpg from command line. (Jean-Sebastien Morisset)
  Re: Anyone want to be part of a new website...? ("Henry Garcia")
  Re: How to set a user's TRAFFIC QUOTA?? (Glitch)
  Re: Desktop bigger than screen/display (Glitch)

From: Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.linux,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking,hk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Adding RAM to RedHat Linux
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 17:20:59 -0600

On Sat, 09 Sep 2000 17:47:51 +1000, Joal Heagney
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

#Raymond Doetjes wrote:
#
#> With the kernel 2.2.x the append is no longer necesarry it asks the BioS
#> how much memory is in the system.
#> So my guess is that when you start the computer and it is testing memory
#> that you also only see 128MB right?
#
#Wrong. In Redhat 6.2 I get the same thing, except with a 64MB and a 32MB
#RAM, and the BIOS definatly see's 96MB. But when my machine boots up to
#linux, if I don't have mem=96MB as an extra kernel option, linux only sees
#the first 64MB.
#
#Joal Heagney/AncientHart
#

BIOS may SEE it properly but it may not REPORT it correctly to the
kernel.  Sometimes a big deal, sometimes not.  Sometimes it really
sees the full amount of RAM.

------------------------------

From: DCE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.m68k,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Anyone want to be part of a new website...?
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 23:23:08 GMT

> I think that even with 768K DSL it took a perilously long
> time to load..

It also locked up netscape on my first attempt (the first page is
huge..generally not good web design, but when I got in it looked like
the guy is trying with content in a modern looking table filled page but
there seemed to be a lack of any commercial content so I dont know what
he is doing for revenue.

------------------------------

From: "Ben Addis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Desktop bigger than screen/display
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 01:08:11 +0100

My monitor is set to 1024*768, but the size of the desktop is a bit bigger
than this. When my mouse goes to the edge of the screen, the desktop
scrolls. How can I stop this?

I have Linux RedHat 6.2 running Gnome/enlightenment

Thanks

Ben

------------------------------

From: "Buck Turgidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Oracle/Java/Linux
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 00:27:18 GMT

I don't know if this is an Oracle, Java, or Linux question....Oracle's
documentation for 8.1.6 for linux says it supports Java 2, which I thought
was Java 1.2 and higher.  But the doc also says that 8.1.6 ships with
version Java 1.1.8.  Is this a Java 2 platform?

Please help me with my confusion.

------------------------------

From: "Bill Piety" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: soundblaster 128 pci setup help: kerenl 2.2.17 support?
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 19:28:59 -0600

In article <8pik69$5uo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> hi folks
>
> i have a soundblaster 128pci card and looking at the specs for it, i
> believe the sound chip is a es3100.  i was hoping that someone could
> confirm if they've successfully managed to setup that soundcard under
> linux (with the stndard drvers that are in the kernel 2.2.17 source
> tree)
><snip>
http://www.alsa-project.org - this is a supported sound card. The 1370 will
give you partial scratchy sound at best.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve)
Subject: Re: How to grep for date?
Date: 13 Sep 2000 01:36:12 +0100

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000 19:05:38 GMT, George wrote:
>I'm trying to learn a little about the Bash shell, by writing a script
>that will check my system log for events that happened today.
>
>If I use the following line in a script, I get the desired output
>(assuming the date is Sep 12):
>
>  grep 'Sep 12' /var/log/messages
>
>I discovered the "set" builtin, and figured out how to use it to
>create a variable that is today's date:
>
>  set $(date) ; todaysdate="'$2 $3'" ; echo $todaysdate

Ok you do this and get the output

'Sep 13'

Now try it without the single quotes.

>The above command produces the output I'd expect, 'Sep 12', including
>the single quotes.  But when I put it into grep, I don't get the
>results I expect:
>
>  set $(date) ; todaysdate="'$2 $3'" ;  \
>    grep $todaysdate /var/log/messages

So it's leaving the single quotes in,

I've taken the single quotes out of the first line and
I've put double quotes round $todaysdate because grep
sees that as a string not a variable, the shell expands
that variable which produces two strings (or something like
that.

This works:

#!/bin/bash

set $(date) ; todaysdate="$2 $3" ;  \
grep "$todaysdate" /var/log/messages

You'll probably have to run it as root or give yourself
read access to all the files in /var/log/messages.

--
Cheers
Steve              email mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

web http://www.zeropps.uklinux.net/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

 12:52am  up 22 days,  5:05,  3 users,  load average: 1.22, 1.14, 1.12

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve)
Subject: Re: file permissions.
Date: 13 Sep 2000 01:36:13 +0100

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000 11:40:44 -0400, segmentationfault wrote:
>Hi and thanks for reading.
>this is my problem:
>I have 2 users,
>user1.webgroup
>user2.webgroup
>and I have a directory in /home/html webuser.webgroup
>
>what I want to do is every time someone sends a file in the /home/html
>directory, I want to file permissions to become webuser.webgroup 0775.

Have a look at the security information in the apache docs, also the
info in httpd.conf.  You should find all you need there.

From: Jean-Sebastien Morisset <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Handling gif/jpg from command line.
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 00:42:30 GMT

Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jean-Sebastien Morisset <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> I need to resize, rotate and save gifs/jpgs from the command line. I thought
>> xv would do it, but I haven't found the trick to save the image. Any
>> suggestions?

> Did you take a look at ImageMagick? That package has a program
> called convert which does exactly these things.

Thanks. It does everything I needed, except I just found out the image
can't be bigger than 150 pixels. :-(

Any chance you'd know of a utility to chop-up an image file into smaller
chunks?

Thanks,
js.
--
Jean-Sebastien Morisset, Sr. UNIX Admin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Personal Homepage <http://www.jsmoriss.dyndns.org/>

------------------------------

From: "scott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: POP & SMTP servers
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 19:42:08 -0600

I'll try and answer your original question: qmail. It's small, secure, and good
enough for hotmail, so it's good enough for me. You can find it at:
http://cr.yp.to/qmail.html
and you probably want to look at:
http://www.qmail.org/
---scott

------------------------------

From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 19:46:09 -0500

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, George quoth:

G> This is the one that works!  Thank you sir...
G>
G>     grep "`date '+%b\ *%d'`" /var/log/messages

[ snip upside-down quoted text ]

Errr, yeah, thats it!  I am glad you got an answer better than
the one I gave, and subsequently cancelled!!  If for some odd
reason anyone sees my previous reply in this thread, IGNORE IT!!
(better yet, print it out and burn it :-)

I gave ~BAD~ advice before, sorry George, my plea is "too much
UNIX in one day".  Again, I am glad someone followed up with
better advice than mine.

[ flogging self now ]

Sorry!

anm
--
BEGIN { $\ = $/; $$_ = $_ for qw~ just another perl hacker ~ }
my $J = sub { return \$just }; my $A = sub { return \$another };

------------------------------

From: "Mr. Ed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows or Linux for games?
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 19:51:50 -0500

FWIW, I'd keep the games under Windows.  You'll find a bigger selection
for that OS.

Just my 2 pesos worth.
Mr. Ed

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (ljb)
Subject: Re: postgres : how recuperate old database files
Date: 13 Sep 2000 00:57:33 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Hello !
>
>We have the following problem:
>A database which had to be transferred from one system to another was not
>dumped, but the person who did the transfer just copied the entire database
>directory from within data/base/. Putting this directory into the new
>/data/base/ directory doesn't work, the system can not find the database.
>Is there any way to recuperate this database, even if it is table by table ?

I assume you are going to the exact same PostgreSQL version.  If you copied
the data/base/* directory trees only, you missed some files inside data/
which it needs, like where it keeps the list of databases. But you might be
able to recover by using createdb to create a new empty database with the
same name, then replace data/base/'name' with the 'name' tree from the
other system. If it works, I would then do a full dump and restore into a
new database just to be safe.

------------------------------

From: "Mr. Ed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Oracle/Java/Linux
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 20:01:45 -0500

> Buck Turgidson wrote:
>
> I don't know if this is an Oracle, Java, or Linux question....Oracle's
> documentation for 8.1.6 for linux says it supports Java 2, which I thought
> was Java 1.2 and higher.  But the doc also says that 8.1.6 ships with
> version Java 1.1.8.  Is this a Java 2 platform?

No, Java 1.1.8 is not Java 2.
Oracle simply states that 8.1.6 will work with Java 2 (i.e. they don't use
Java 2 specific features yet).

Hope this helps.
Mr. Ed

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: End-User Alternative to Windows
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 16:34:52 -0700

Yannick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:FCwv5.1662$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message :
> 8ph025$vh9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > Ingemar Lundin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:NzPu5.16$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > rpm is not Linux alternative to winzip thats gzip/gunzip, rpm is the
> > > alternative for .msi -files or rather .msi was invented by MS after
rpm
> > had
> > > been around for awhile....strange he?
> >
> > Not really strange, it is just another case of Windows playing catch up
> with
> > Linux / unix.
>
> Does RPM have an automatic repair functionality (not that useful, of
course,
> but still...) ? and also that possibility to advertise optional

Don't ask me about RPM's, I don't use them.

------------------------------

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 12 Sep 2000 16:23:58 -0800

George <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi, thanks, but that doesn't do it.  Putting quotes around $todaysdate
>appears to search for that as a literal string.
>
>I changed my script a little... This one should do better in the first
>10 days of the month, when my log file has two spaces between the
>month and the date:
>
>-----------begin---------------
>todaysdate="'$(date +'%b %e')'"
>echo "Today's date is:" $todaysdate
>echo "Here is a grep with the date typed directly:"
>grep 'Sep 12' /var/log/messages
>echo "Here is a grep with the date as a shell variable:"
>grep $todaysdate /var/log/messages
>-------------end--------------

Two ways:

  todaysdate=`date +'%b %e'`
  grep "$todaysdate" /var/log/messages

And

  todaysdate=$(date +'%b %e')
  grep "$todaysdate" /var/log/messages

Just two ways of doing exactly the same thing.

Here are the same two methods, but skipping use of the variable:

  grep "`date +'%b %e'`" /var/log/messages

  grep "$(date +'%b %e')" /var/log/messages

>Somebody try this script for me...  The second line demonstrates that
>$todaysdate contains 'Sep 12' INCLUDING the single quotes.  The fourth
>line demonstrates that 'Sep 12' including the single quotes, works
>right.  The last line demonstrates the same error message:
>
>grep: 12': No such file or directory
>
>I still don't get it.  Thanks anyway!  Anybody else?

This is the original problem, with new arguments.  The shell
looks at your grep command line, and expands the variable
_$todaysdate_, which results in two tokens being passed, one of
them is _'Sep_ and the other is _12'_.  The first one grep takes
as a string to search for, and the second one it thinks is a file
to search in.  Hence the error message about no file named _12'_.

If _$todaysdate_ is put inside single quotes, the shell will not
expand _$todaysdate_ and will send exactly that to the program.
Clearly not what you want!  If _$todaysdate_ is put inside double
quotes, the shell will expand _$todaysdate_ and pass the results
as a single argument to the program, which is what you do want.
And, obviously what you have been doing, which is no quotes,
causes the shell to expand _$todaysdate_ and pass each token as
an argument to the program.

--
Floyd L. Davidson                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

------------------------------

From: Ken <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Corel Linux won't boot!? Hangs indefinitely at startup
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 01:28:40 GMT

I am desperate! Help save the Pentium 90! *heh heh*

I am trying to revive an old windoze system for my school (in the graphics
lab- which is mostly Apple G3's) This old computer was on the way to the
dump, and I came up with the brilliant idea of installing Corel Linux on
it, as to have students use the system to view webpages on, or even do some
 work in Gimp, or other apps in the Linux format.

Let me start by saying that I am a MAC & Windows guy, and am totally new to
Linux terms. Forgive me in advance.

The computer is a Pentium 90, with 80 MB RAM, and a 720 Gig HD. I knew I
could install Corel Linux on it because I have done so on my P120/22MB RAM
at home.

The install was very fast, and the system boots in very little time, but it
 hangs at the black screen directly before the menu where you choose root
user, or other users. (I know this because Corel Linux works on my P120 at
home)

I have already tried a reinstall with no better luck.

Any help would be extremely...... helpful?

From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 02:05:15 GMT

Jean-Sebastien Morisset <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> Did you take a look at ImageMagick? That package has a program
>> called convert which does exactly these things.
>
> Thanks. It does everything I needed, except I just found out the image
> can't be bigger than 150 pixels. :-(

For me, this limit doesn't exist. I am running ImageMagick 4.2.2.

$ identify os_wars.jpg
os_wars.jpg 1010x1224 DirectClass 203kb JPEG 6s
$ convert -geometry 50%x50% os_wars.jpg aaa.jpg
$ identify aaa.jpg
aaa.jpg 505x612 DirectClass 63kb JPEG 2s
$ ls -l os_wars.jpg aaa.jpg
-rw-r--r--   1 vilmos   users       65397 Sep 12 19:05 aaa.jpg
-rw-r--r--   1 vilmos   users      208201 Aug 19  1999 os_wars.jpg
$

aaa.jpg is correctly reduced in size, I checked out.

Vilmos

------------------------------

From: Jean-Sebastien Morisset <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.misc
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 02:16:00 GMT

Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jean-Sebastien Morisset <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>>> Did you take a look at ImageMagick? That package has a program
>>> called convert which does exactly these things.
>>
>> Thanks. It does everything I needed, except I just found out the image
>> can't be bigger than 150 pixels. :-(

> For me, this limit doesn't exist. I am running ImageMagick 4.2.2.

> $ identify os_wars.jpg
> os_wars.jpg 1010x1224 DirectClass 203kb JPEG 6s
> $ convert -geometry 50%x50% os_wars.jpg aaa.jpg
> $ identify aaa.jpg
> aaa.jpg 505x612 DirectClass 63kb JPEG 2s
> $ ls -l os_wars.jpg aaa.jpg
> -rw-r--r--   1 vilmos   users       65397 Sep 12 19:05 aaa.jpg
> -rw-r--r--   1 vilmos   users      208201 Aug 19  1999 os_wars.jpg
> $

> aaa.jpg is correctly reduced in size, I checked out.

Thanks, but that part's fine. I probably didn't express myself properly.
:-)

I've resized it and rotated it the way I need. The problem is that the
image can't be more than 150 pixels high or wide, BUT my image is longer
than 150 pixels. For example, say it's 150x400. I need to keep that 150
pixel width, so I need to chop-up the image in 3 pieces of 150x150,
150x150, and 150x100.

When I write my HTML code, I can stick the 3 images next to each other and
form a complete picture again.

In case anyone's wondering, this is for an Avantgo site which will display
on a Palm computer. The Avantgo software is limited to 150 pixel images,
thus the kludge necessary above...

Thanks,
js.

From: "Henry Garcia" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 21:53:45 -0400

No.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 22:41:10 -0400
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to set a user's TRAFFIC QUOTA??

Niek van Suchtelen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know i can set a user's quota to limit the amount of disk space she is
> using, but how do i set a quota to limit the network traffic a user's
> website is generating? Say, i want to limit the traffic usage for each
> of my users to 1 GB/month, and after that, it's not possible for pages
> to load anymore (for this particular user). How do i set this limit? I

so if they are running a business and they happen to go over their quota
and they get a new customer that person is not able to get a webpage
loaded b/c you disabled the user's bandwidth.  Even if you don't have a
setup where a user might be a business owner disabling their account
just b/c they go over their bandwidth quota isn't right.  If they go
over then charge them extra if they are paying you in the first place,
don't just shut them down until the end of the month.

Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 22:47:44 -0400
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Desktop bigger than screen/display

edit your xf86config file and change the Virtual Desktop resolution to
match your real resolution