From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hey! Newbie on WinLinux 2000 w/Win Me
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 02:30:05 -0000

I Have win me, and i dont want to change it to any other win OS, anyway...
I brought the Maximum Linux magazine, and got the WinLinux 2000 Full
Version, i installed it sucessfully, after the configure and stuff, i want
to boot to the new os, but it says that this version of windows does not
have ms-dos, or cannot be run in windows, and so it tells me if i want to
run in an emulated ms-dos, it wont go to linux, and it needs to boot
anyway, how can i get winlinux to run? any other way i can do it? (just
remember that i m not gonna re-format my computer to win98 to do it.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Netscape 475 locking desktop
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 19:26:31 -0700

On or about Sun, 08 Oct 2000 10:04:23 -0700, jaalaw1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> scrivened:
> I notice Netscape  475 locks the latest gnome desktop occasionally when
> it cant get a response from the internet.
> No mouse or keyboard response; have to blow out  X and restart. Had same
> problem with prior versons of both
> Netscape and gnome.
> Any ideas how to revent this?

"Prevent", perhaps?  Don't run Netscape.  The Gnome help browser is a
fairly capable browser.  Ditto Nautalis, IIRC.

I've had Netscape hang and/or crash on me, but not bring down an X
session.  You should be able to cut out to another session (or console
login) and kill Netscape.  You may also want to try sending a HUP
signal to your windowmanager (you don't specify, probably
Sawmill/Sawfish, Enlightenment, or WindowMaker):

    $ kill -HUP <pid of windowmanager>

There's also a resource setting which prevents netscape from locking on
DNS lookups, though I forget what it is.  Might search Google for it.

--
Karsten M. Self <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>     http://www.netcom.com/~kmself

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Favorite learning tool
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 19:31:09 -0700

On or about 8 Oct 2000 17:31:25 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] scrivened:

> My question to you is, How did you learn to use Linux?  What, in your
> opinion, is the best way to build a comprehensive knowledge of the OS?
> The LDP is great, but I'm looking for a read-cover-to-cover kind of
> site.  I'm sure many of you out there can relate.  I also don't mind
> reading books, but online sources are always better.

I'll echo "dittos" to most of the other responses in this thread.  I'd
used Unix in one form or another since 1987, before setting up my first
Linux box in 1997.

Following is a booklist I highly recommend aquiring.

Linux Books mini-FAQ
Karsten M. Self <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Written:  Saturday October  7, 2000
Modified:  Saturday October  7, 2000

vis-a-vis Linux and Unix, I've compiled the following.  Prices are
approximate.

General Linux & getting started guides.

    Mark G. Sobell, _A Practical Guide to Linux_, Addison-Wesley, © 1997
    ISBN 0-201-89549-8, US$40

    (I haven't read Sobell deeply, but skimming, it seems solid).

    Matt Welsh and Lar Kaufman, _Running Linux, 3rd Edition_  O'Reilly, ©
    2000.  ISBN 1-56592-151-8, US$30

General Linux/Unix system administration -- more advanced topics.  Each
of these references is a classic.  You don't need all three (though I've
got a copy of each), but you'll find within each the distilled wisdom of
experienced system administrators.

    AEleen Frisch, _Essential System Administration : Help for Unix
    System Administrators_, O'Reilly, © 1996, 788 pages.  ISBN
    1-56592-127-5. US$35

    Evi Nemeth, Garth Snyder, Scott Seebass, Trent R. Hein _UNIX System
    Administration Handbook_ (Bk\CD ROM), Prentice Hall, © 1995, 780
    pages, ISBN: 0-13151-051-7. US$75

    (A third edition was published mid-2000)

    M. Carling, Stephen Degler, & James Dennis, _Linux System
    Administration_, New Riders, © 2000, 337 pages. ISBN 1-56205-934-3.
    US$30

It was the following two books (actually, the earlier _UNIX in a
Nutshell_) which put me "over the hump" in becoming familiar and
experienced with Unix and Linux.  I still refer frequently to each text
when trying to accomplish a complex system task or needing command
syntax and examples that the man pages just don't provide.

Brief command and system reference:

    Ellen Siever, Stephen Spainhour, Stephen Figgins, Jessica P. Hekman
    _Linux in a Nutshell, 3rd Edition_, O'Reilly, © 2000, 650 pages,
    ISBN 1-56592-167-4. US$35

Shell and tools "cook book":

    Jerry D. Peek, Tim O'Reilly, Mike Loukides, _UNIX Power Tools, 2nd
    Edition_, O'Reilly, © 1997, 1120 pages, ISBN: 1-56592-260-3, US$55

You want to reach out and touch someone?  The NAG, as it's
affectionately known, is available online in electronic format, but you
can take the hardcopy to your favorite cafe, the beach, or that most
popluar of technical reading environments, the WC.

Networking:

     Olaf Kirch, Terry Dawson, _Linux Network Administrator's Guide_
     (2nd Edition), O'Reilly, © 2000, 474 pages, ISBN  1-56592-400-2.
     US$35
     Online:  http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linag2/book/index.html

...when you're tired of people reaching out and touching you...
Garfinkel and Spafford is a classic, though slightly time-worn.  Its
emphasis on philosophy over specific toolsets, and a strong vision on
the part of the authors makes it a worthwhile read even now.

Sonnenreich and Yates have published an excellet guide not just to
building a firewall (this Debian GNU/Linux fan highly recommends the
OpenBSD route), but some excellent front-matter on contemporary elements
and aspects of network security.  Be sure to look at the companion
website as it contains up-to-date information concerning recent changes
to software and distributions, and more advanced firewalling,
monitoring, and proactive security tools.

Security:

    Simson Garfinkel, Gene Spafford, _Practical Unix and Internet
    Security_, O'Reilly, © 1996, 1004 pages, ISBN: 1-56592-148-8

    Wes Sonnenreich, Tom Yates, _Building Linux and OpenBSD Firewalls_,
    John Wiley & Sons, © 2000, 384 pages.  ISBN: 0-47135-366-3.  US$40

As Richard Stallman says, using vi isn't a sin, it's a pennance.  This
handy pocket guide will give you (or answer) a prayer.

    Arnold Robbins, _vi Editor Pocket Reference_, O'Reilly, ISBN
    1-56592-497-5, US$6.95

Karsten M. Self <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>     http://www.netcom.com/~kmself

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: unresolved symbol
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 02:45:59 GMT

I have a piece of developmental hardware and a driver has been written
for it that runs successfully on RH 6.1 with a 2.2.16 kernel. I then
loaded Openlinux on the machine (OL 2.3 kernel 2.2.10) -- Full
installation.  I took the code for the driver, loaded it onto the
machine and successfully recompiled it.  When I went to insmod the
object file, I get a page of unresolved symbols (ie, securebits,
printk, block_read)...

The kernel has not been tampered with, so I don't think it's a matter
of recompiling the kernel, but there might be some option I don't know
of in the kernel that I have to toggle.  I have loaded the OS a couple
of times, and started from scratch.  I have been able to load the
driver onto other versions of linux, so is there a difference in the
platform I'm unaware of that could cause problems.  Any help out there
would be greatly appreciated.

mm

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Where did XMPS go ???
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 03:18:24 GMT

Bryan Christ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Does anyone know what happened to the XMPS homepage ?  I have unsuccessfully
> tried the go to the old site at
> http://www-eleves.enst-bretagne.fr/~chavarri/xmps/pres.php3 .   All
> refrences to the XMPS homepage list this URL.  What's the deal ?!? Anyone?

I'd like to know as well. It looks like the chavarri account doesn't even exist
on the server any more. I just went there today, because I've been having
trouble getting the xmps-avi code to compile (can't find a couple of macros)
that I downloaded a couple of weeks ago.

--
Noah Romer              | I have built a castle from the evening fog,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       | and now the dawn

------------------------------

From: Bo Forslund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: odd sound problem
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 05:23:40 +0200

Hello!

I have a strange sound problem. xmms works perfect for root, but for
user.  For user it doesn't sound. The vu meters are jumping as if it was
playing and the progress bar is running about 20 times faster than it
should. It seems like it decodes something.

The mpg123 player produce sound for both root and user but with a
ticking sound with a frequency of about 5 Hz. the ticks is ( i think
) short interrupts of some milliseconds in the playing. It might well be
just ticks.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Bo

------------------------------

From: "Jeff Borders" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Input/output error with Tape Drive
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 23:35:27 +0400
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup

I got the same thing with a TEKRAM U2W, that's why I switched to the
adaptec.  -jb

In article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

------------------------------

From: David_C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux contra Microsoft
Date: 09 Oct 2000 00:03:59 -0400

Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Oh! Goodie! I will be rich! I run the Tcl/Tk version, called tik. It
> is already compiled and ready to go. Probably takes less than 15
> minutes even including downloading time. I also got the AOL version
> (that I think runs in Java), and that works too, but I could not
> figure out how to make that do my stock market ticker quotations, so I
> do not use it.

I also use TiK.  So far, it's the most capable IM client for Linux.

I tried the AOL Linux client a month or so ago, and installation was
trivial.  Download the RPM file, and install it with one command.  Then
"rehash" (so the shell can find it on the path), and go.  To uninstall,
just run rpm on it with the "-e" option.

Installing from the tar.gz is a little bit more involved, but only if
you're unfamiliar with these kinds of installations.  Since I had UNIX
experience prior to my installing Linux, I already knew how to manage
all this:

        - Create a /usr/local/package directory
        - Create /usr/local/{bin|doc|etc|include|info|lib|man|sbin|sbin|src}
          as needed, if they don't exist.
        - Make sure /usr/local/bin is on every user's default path.
          Make sure /usr/local/sbin is on root's default path
          Make sure /usr/local/man is on every user's MANPATH
          Make sure /usr/local/lib is on every user's LD_LIBRARY_PATH
          etc...

Once this is done, installing software is easy:

        - Create /usr/local/package/<appname> for the application
        - Copy all the program's files there.  Making separate bin, lib,
          etc. subdirectories as needed may be convenient.  For apps
          that require a particular directory structure (like Netscape),
          use that structure under the app's directory.
        - Create symlinks from the app's files to
          /usr/local/{bin|lib|...} as needed

For most apps, this is all you need to do.  For some apps, like
Netscape, which are more picky, no symlinks from the app directory are
made.  Instead, I put a shell script in /usr/local/bin which sets a few
environment variables and then calls the application out of its install
directory.

It all works great.  When you're ready to uninstall, just go to
/usr/local/package and "rm -rf" the program's directory.  Then use a
utility like /usr/bin/symlinks on /usr/local/* to chase down dangling
symlinks so you can remove them.

It's not as convenient as RPM or other package managers, but it works
well.  It doesn't require people to have a lot of directories on their
paths, and there's no problem remembering which files belong to which
application.  The only downside is that it's not automated, but that
doesn't really bother me, since I know what I'm doing.

I actually prefer this method to RPMs, since I know exactly which files
are going where.  (I use RPM files for stuff that comes from RedHat,
since they know the layout of my RedHat installation.  I prefer other
install methods for software that comes from other vendors, since some
of them don't install/uninstall nicely.)

-- David

------------------------------

From: "Jeffrey J. Potoff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: what is the most convenient and effective way to backup?
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 04:39:59 GMT

Lucas Tsoi wrote:

> As title.
> Thanks very much.

I like 4mm or 8mm tape.  I wrote a few simple shell scripts that run tar
or dump automatically.  For a complex system, you might want to check
out AMANDA.

Jeff

------------------------------

From: David_C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: can linux use sleep keys etc. on keyboards?
Date: 09 Oct 2000 00:54:54 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Kiesling) writes:

> I'm not, but xkeycaps is a great tool to have for these sorts of
> chores (which is probably why I never bothered to learn).

Will it alter they keyboar settings in /etc/X11/XF86Config as well?

The web site for xkeycaps implies that it only lets you configure those
parameters that are configurable via xmodmap - meaning that it can't
touch keys that don't even return keycodes to X.

I did a bit more browsing through /usr/lib/X11/xkb.  It appears that
XFree86 3.3.6 includes definitions for two kinds of US keyboards -
101-key, and 104-key (101 plus the Microsoft keys).  It doesn't appear
to have a file for the newer 107-key layout (104-key plus Power, Sleep
and Wake).

I don't know if you can add these keys by writing some new files to go
into /usr/lib/X11/xkb, or if a recompile of XFree86 would be required.

I also don't know if this is now supported in XFree86 version 4, since I
don't have it.

I also don't know if a change to the console-level keyboard driver might
be required in order to make this work.

-- David

------------------------------

From: jaim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: no pty's
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 22:10:53 -0700

I am trying to log into a system using either telnet or ssh and I keep
getting the response from the system I am logging in to that
remote system is unable to grant request for pseudo terminal.
If I look at /var/log/messages I see for ssh the grantty failed.
It is very odd.   I can get into the system through a standard
analog modem though.  What is also weird is that this system has
an isdn modem which is its connection to the internet.  I use
a ppp-on script to initiate the connection.  When I run the ppp-on
script I get a response that there are no available /dev/pts's, but
yet it connects to the provide okay.  Once connect with ppp I can
surf the net all I want.
The system that is having the problem with pty's and /dev/pts is
running mandrae 6.0.  And no I can't upgrade it.  The ssh
I am using was built on that system.  I am stuck on this one.
Anybody know why or what the cause for the lack of available
pty's is?  And why remote login's can't create a /dev/pts device?
Any help would be appreciated.

TIA,
Jaim

------------------------------

From: "Arctic Storm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to uninstall stuff
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 05:11:12 GMT

I have RedHat Linux 7.0.
Installing stuff is easy; rpm -Uvh filename,...
What about uninstalling?
How do you do that?

Please remove the "-SpamShield-" to send email.  Thanks.

------------------------------

From: Craig Holyoak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to uninstall stuff
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 15:20:18 -1000

Arctic Storm wrote:

> I have RedHat Linux 7.0.
> Installing stuff is easy; rpm -Uvh filename,...
> What about uninstalling?
> How do you do that?

Use the -e option and the name of the rpm you want to uninstall.

--
Craig Holyoak
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: JimOfTheJungle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie: How do I Config for Cable Modem
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 05:30:06 -0000

I've successfully loaded Redhat 6.2 as a Gnome workstation.  Being more
adventurous than smart, I am unable to connect over the internet via Linux
(using Windows now).  I've hunted around the windows, help screens, two
books I purchased, and scanned the net, but I have made no progress.

Can one of you please walk me through the steps that I need to follow to
take my fresh Linux system and get it to recognize and utilize my
Roadrunner cable modem (which works fine under Windows).

Thanks for the effort!  Peace.

From: Bo Forslund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 07:27:02 +0200

Craig Holyoak wrote:

> Use the -e option and the name of the rpm you want to uninstall.

There is a lot of other useful options to rpm. Having a look in the pan
pages is a good idea. In an xterm, type

    man rpm

Bo