From: David_C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Government's Decision to Use Microsoft
Date: 09 Oct 2000 13:07:47 -0400

The Darkener <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> 1) Windows NT can't become C2 compliant unless you configure it with
> the C2 Configuration manager and use it on certain hardware:
>
> http://www.rito.com/nt/ntsec/navy/section_5.htm

And also note that this is for version 3.5.  Version 4 (which everybody
uses) and Win2K (which MS wants everybody to use) have no certification
whatsoever.

-- David

------------------------------

From: "time traveller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Cable modem, ethernet, and DHCP
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 17:12:13 GMT

maybe your looking for dhcpcd, which I hear is better for dhcp. This came
with my RH 5.2 install

------------------------------

From: David_C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft's Anti Linux Page
Date: 09 Oct 2000 13:13:13 -0400

Rafael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> How Microsoft can do such things. It is marketing but in such a way it
> should be forbiden.  We have to do something about it

We don't have to.

The only people who believe such claptrap are those who are already in
bed with Mr. Gates.  And nothing you say is going to change their
minds.  After all, you're just an anonymous hacker from the internet who
seeks to destroy the greatest man who ever lived and his One True
Product that will enable him to save the universe.

-- David

------------------------------

From: "Jonathan Gift" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help: Deb Kernel Compile Statistics Error
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 19:04:29 +0200

Hi,

I'm on a fresh Debian 2.2, attempting to compile my first kernel. Everything
goes ok until the final make when I get get an error and no .deb. I've read
all the info and tried to follow the steps. What did I miss? Help
appreciated so I can have some sound and apm support!

Load packages:
kernel -package
kernel-source-2.2.17
bin86
mawk
binutils

Move kernel /usr/src /usr/local/scr
Unpack tar xIf kernel-source-2.2.17.tar.bz2
Change directory
Type mrproper
Type make config
Use defaults except:
    Ppr/686 Y
    APM  Y
    Power Off Y
    SCSI N
    DOS  Y
    VFAT Y
    Sound Y
    Creative Y
    Parallel Y
    P Printer Y
Yype make dep
Type make-kpkg clean
Type make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image

Error:
In function 'sock_wmalloc':
undefined reference to 'net statistics'
vmlinux Error 1
stamp-build Error 2

Please email copies of any support.
Thanks,
Jonathan

------------------------------

From: David_C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to copy a file to a floppy?
Date: 09 Oct 2000 13:18:05 -0400

Cristian <c{ristian}h{umberto}[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I suggest you change here "ext2" to "auto". Chances are that your
> kernel includes msdos compatibility. Then you can buy any "IBM
> formatted" disk (most of them), put it in the drive and mount it with
> "mount /mnt/floppy" and never worry about formatting floppies. I
> prefer this method since you can then use the disks to transfer files
> to/from PCs and Macs too. (If you insist on ext2 filesystem and
> reformat the floppy, the auto option would still work of course).

Has this feature changed recenlty?

The last time I looked (back with the 2.0 kernel), the "auto" option
will choose "fat" for DOS-format floppies, and not "vfat".  So long
names aren't available.

On my system, I make two mount points for the floppy drive: /mnt/floppy
for ext2 volumes and /mnt/dosfloppy for vfat volumes.

The relevant parts of my /etc/fstab look like:

        /dev/fd0   /mnt/dosfloppy  vfat    user,exec,rw,noauto    0 0
        /dev/fd0   /mnt/floppy     ext2    user,exec,rw,noauto    0 0

-- David

------------------------------

From: Jim Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IM, Canna
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 17:20:11 GMT

Hi. i've been searching for an Input method for Japanese.  I found some
info on the net about the Canna package. Yet, i can't get any slakware
distro's for it. i tried installing the RPM but it needed some redhat
libraries. any ideas?

Thanks, Jim

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Different IRQ Problems I think
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 17:26:52 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 06 Oct 2000 16:10:19 -0400, asage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>OOOOOH Strike that!  I hadn't my coffee yet.  /dev/pen1 points to /dev/ttyS0.
>/dev/modem points to /dev/ttyS1.
>
>asage wrote:
>
>> Jean-David Beyer wrote:

One thing I do not understand is, how do you expect your modem to work on
COM2 when you have also a serial port on COM2 (/dev/ttyS1).

Does your IrDA port show up on ttyS02 in boot messages (even if irq and
UART are wrong)?  If you remove the modem and boot, I would think that
Linux would already find your 3 existing ports.  So the modem should
likely be set up as /dev/ttyS3 (COM4).  The default irq is 3, but if you
set it up as IRQ2, call it irq 9 for setserial (9 is cascaded to 2).

--
David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: another sad tale
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 17:30:06 -0000

What you can do as a last resort is to do an upgrade install to your
existing installation using the cd of the same version that you are
running now.  I have had to do this 2 times because i forgot to build in
scsi support into my new kernel and i have no ide drives.  Doing the
upgrade on the system will allow you to rerun lilo without the use of a
rescue disk.  This will also undo most package upgrades you have done (I
have not figured why it does not undo all of them yet, but that is another
story).  You could also just upgrade you distrubution with the lastest and
greatest version.  This happened because you changed the masterboot record
by using that other disk tool - only use the partition tools from linux on
the drive that has your lilo record.  Then ALWAYS RERUN LILO AFTER YOU ARE
DONE

From: David_C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 09 Oct 2000 13:30:43 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (mpulliam) writes:

> I asked for help on this previously, and tried all the suggestions
> people offered. Nothing works. I set it aside for a month to see if
> the good Linux Fairy would magically solve my problem. Now I am back
> at it again: I'm trying to copy a file, say /etc/foo, to a floppy
> disk.
>
> Here are my results following help from this group, from reading man
> pages, and from reference books:
>
> I am using a floppy I formatted previously, though I can't figure out
> any more how I accomplished that as the old directions no longer seem
> to work. (read on) Anyway, I go:
>
> # mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
> it replies: VFS: can't find an ext2 filesystem on dev fd (0,2)
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock
> on /dev/fd0, or too many mounted filesystems

Then the floppy is not formatted as ext2fs.

If it was last-formatted as FAT (the DOS/Windows standard), possibly
from the factory, you should try:

        mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

If it was last-formatted a HFS (the Macintosh standard), try:

        mount -t hfs /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

Of course, you'll need to have vfat and hfs file system modules
installed.  They are installed automatically by RedHat, and probably
many other distributions.

> I decide to make an ext2 filesystem on this
> floppy, so I try:
> # /sbin/mkfs -v-t ext2 /dev/fd0
> it replies:mkfs.ext2: bad blocks count - /dev/fd0

Strange.  THis should work.

> (I try several different formatted floppies to be sure I just don't
> have one bad one, but no change)
>
> To be sure I really formatted the floppy, I try:
> # fdformat /dev/fd0H1440
> it replies: Formatting ... (note: this partlasts about one second, not
> long enough to really format a floppy). Then, it says: ioctl
> (FDFMTBEG): Read-only file system

Sounds like the disk is write-protected, so you can't format it.  Move
the write-protect shutter so the hole is covered.

> Then I figure I might as well just try copying the file to /mnt/floppy
> and see what happens. So, with a formatted floppy in the drive, and
> after having done all the above, I just go:
>
> # cp /etc/foo /mnt/floppy
>
> It actually seems to try doing something, though the floppy drive
> light just goes on about one second. After searching, I discover it's
> written /etc/foo over to /mnt/floppy on the hard drive, not on the
> floppy disk. I remove /etc/foo from there, that's no good. Obviously
> the floppy is indeed not mounted, right?

Right.  If the drive is not mounted, then the mount point is an ordinary
subdirectory and not a link to another volume.

> Then I go back to this:
> # mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
>
> This time something different happens, and it seems to be trying a lot
> of locations on the floppy with no luck. (light on floppy drive is on)
> It exits with the following:
>
> command_status=-1
>
> floppy0: floppy timeout called
> end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00 (floppy), sector 2
> EXT2-fs: unable to read superblock
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/fd0,
>        or too many mounted file systems

Because it still isn't formatted.

> If I go umount /mnt/floppy, it says: not mounted.

Because mount failed.

> But it won't let me take the floppy out of the slot, so maybe it IS
> mounted but doesn't know it? huh?

What do you mean "won't let me".  You can't press the button and eject
the media?  Floppy drives on PCs have mechanical eject buttons.  The OS
can't prevent you from removing it.

This _IS_ a floppy drive we're talking about right?  Not a SCSI or IDE
drive that reads floppy media, right?  You're not using an LS-120 or a
floptical drive or something like that are you?

If you are, then /dev/fd0 is not the device you want.  You'll want to
use a /dev/hd* device (if it's IDE-attached) or a /dev/sd* device (if
it's SCSI-attached).

> So: I can't mount the floppy drive, can't make an ext2 filesystem on a
> floppy, can't remove the floppy disk, and can't do a low-level format
> on one any more either.  What is a bad superblock? Why is this so
> complicated ????

You haven't told us what's really going on.

What kind of hardware are you using?  The fact that you can't physically
remove the media from the drive tells me that this is not a PC-type
floppy drive in a normal PC.  Are you running your Linux on a
workstation?  On a Macintosh, perhaps?

-- David

------------------------------

From: "parn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: problem opening up terminal as user in redhat6.2 with enlightment wm
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 13:46:26 -0400

when i log in as a user to X and try to open a terminal...
i get an error stating that 'using linux 2.2.x with glibc 2.1x
due to incorrect setup Unix 98 ptys'

i'm not sure what happened... but i no longer am able to open up terminals
as a regular user...

any help appreciated..

thx

------------------------------

From: David_C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: deleted /var/log/messages and it doesn't reappear
Date: 09 Oct 2000 13:41:02 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bjoern) writes:

> Perhaps I was a bit too bold, but I had assumed it was just a log
> file. Why is it growing endlessly, anyway, shouldn't there be a limit?

That's what it's supposed to do.  Every syslog message gets appended to
it.  It will grow forever.

Many distributions come with cron jobs to keep it from filling your
drive.  logrotate is one such program - it moves the contents to a
backup file (messages.1, messages.2, etc.) and deletes the oldest backup
file.  See the other response to your question (in this thread) for
details on how it works.

> I deleted it, and now it isn't being created anew. I tried creating a
> file /var/log/messages, but that didn't work either.

UNIX file system semantics.

When you delete a file, it doesn't actually go away until all file
handles are closed.  Even if you remove the last directory entry, a
program that has an open handle to the file will continue using it.  If
you create a new file with the same name, it will not be the same file
that was there before.

You'll have to get the system to close its logfile handle and open a new
one.  I think you can do this by restarting the syslog daemon.  With
RedHat (and possibly other distributions), this should work:

        From a root shell, type:

        /etc/rc.d/init.d/syslog restart

When the syslog daemon quits, its open file handles (like the one to the
system message file) will be closed.  When it restarts, it will re-open
the file, and will re-create the file, if it's missing.

-- David

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Email rejected by aol.com - why?
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 17:39:44 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Anthony Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>When I tried to reply to an email from someone at aol.com it was
>rejected with the following comment:
>

>From MAILER-DAEMON Mon Oct 09 10:10:27 2000
>From: Mail Delivery System <Mailer-Daemon@localhost>
>To: ac@localhost
>Subject: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
>Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 10:10:27 +0100
>
>This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
>
>A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
>recipients. The following address(es) failed:
>
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
>    SMTP error from remote mailer after MAIL FROM:<ac@localhost>:
>    host yb.mx.aol.com [205.188.156.101]:
>    501 SYNTAX ERROR IN PARAMETERS OR ARGUMENTS

I would think that the syntax error is that is that the FROM: address does
not contain a valid internet hostname (localhost is not an internet name).
Set a valid FROM: in your mail client, or in pine you can set a domain
(but not username).  There is a way to set sendmail for that, but I would
not know how, since I have a valid hostname.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: odd sound problem
Date: 9 Oct 2000 17:59:20 GMT

On Mon, 09 Oct 2000 05:23:40 +0200, Bo Forslund wrote:
>I have a strange sound problem. xmms works perfect for root, but for
>user.  For user it doesn't sound. The vu meters are jumping as if it was
>playing and the progress bar is running about 20 times faster than it
>should. It seems like it decodes something.

Check the "output plugin" on xmms.  If the user has it set to "Disk
Writer", then the program is decoding the mp3 into a WAV file, which
means you won't get sound.  Switch the output plugin to "OSS" or "esd"
to hear sound.  You may also want to check the permissions on /dev/dsp ;
they should probably all be 0666 so that all users can write sound data
to the audio device.

>The mpg123 player produce sound for both root and user but with a
>ticking sound with a frequency of about 5 Hz. the ticks is ( i think
>) short interrupts of some milliseconds in the playing. It might well be
>just ticks.

Which sound card do you have?  Some cards have a problem with mike
feedback, which you can overcome by setting the mike volume to 0 with a
mixer tool.  Also check "dmesg" and look for messages relating to sound
and DMA errors.  If you have an ISA soundcard, and the DMA is set
incorrectly, you will hear ticking like that (if you're lucky enough to
hear any sound at all!).

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 17:50:03 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bjoern) wrote:
> I deleted it, and now it isn't being created anew. I tried creating a
> file /var/log/messages, but that didn't work either.

When you remove a file with rm, the visible link to it is removed
(you've "unlinked" it), but you might not have actually removed the
file. The actual file is not removed until the last program that has it
open closes it, then it is removed. Until then it lives on w/o a name,
and any programs writing to it write to this unnamed file, not the new
one you created.

> What can I do?

A reboot is your best (easiest) bet now. In the future when it gets too
big, instead of deleting it, zero it out by catting /dev/null into it:

cat /dev/null > /var/log/messages

This will zro out the actual file.

--
Jim Buchanan        [EMAIL PROTECTED]     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: David_C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 09 Oct 2000 14:01:16 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>> What can I do?
>
> A reboot is your best (easiest) bet now.

Restarting the syslong daemon should work without a reboot.  I'd try
that first.

-- David