From: Matthew L Creech <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Path - Making It Permanent
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 20:52:00 -0500

Don't know if it applies to all distros, but /etc/profile is usually
compatible with all bourne-related shells.

--
Matthew L. Creech

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Bacalle)
Subject: Re: [finger] wont show .plan nor .project remotely -- why?
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 01:37:10 GMT

* [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> But besides that, I think I know the reason why .plan and .project aren't
> showing up while the finger request is being processed...
>
> 1> Check the permissions on your .plan and .project files. Are they world
> readable? (chmod 644 .plan to make it so)

Hello,

In the original post I showed 'ls -l' results:

   -rw-rw-r--   1 john     john           19 Nov  7 07:45 .plan
   -rw-rw-r--   1 john     john           26 Nov  7 07:46 .project

> 2> If that doesn't work, your home directory also needs to be world readable
> for finger to work with .plan files.

We're talking about remote finger. Local fingering shows these files. I
can't believe that anyone is expected to make their _home_ directory a=r.

> (You can create a mure secure directory
> within it for things you don't want other users to read).

This doesn't sound right to me at all. config files, etc. with personal
information settings are by default created there by generally all apps.
I'm not going to be chasing stuff down all the time, and worrying about
the one time that I might overlook something and leave myself exposed.

> try
> cd;chmod 755 .

You're telling me to set my _$HOME_ a=rx? Not 'those files' but my home
dir? I can't believe that's the problem.

   John

--
John Bacalle                             Voice/Fax: +1-212-894-3778 x1057
I'm selling several new Cisco, MCSE, Red Hat books at a discount. My reef

------------------------------

From: John Meyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KDE vs GNOME: specific issues
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.advocacy,linux.redhat,alt.os.linux,comp.unix.solaris,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 01:50:51 GMT

Jeff Jeffries wrote:

> I need to choose either GNOME or KDE. I will be doing computationally
> intensive C++, with very heavy disk I/O. Results will be displayed in 3D
> preferrably with OpenGL.

Dumb question, but why do you need to choose?  They're both free
--
John Meyer
Programmer/Web Developer

------------------------------

From: Ed Hurst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Oops msgs and RAM
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 20:31:40 -0600

Being a complete duffer, I have some vague idea that "oops messages" can
help trace errors in modules and other kernel problems. What I'd like to
know is, if I get these messages with varying addresses at boot time,
could it indicate a bad DIMM?

I'd count it a real favor if you could also post a reply to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ed

------------------------------

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Trying to download symbolic links.
Date: 10 Nov 2000 20:59:07 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] a écrit :

> Hello
>
> I am trying to download the files on the directory:
> ftp://ftp.mvista.com/pub/CDK/1.2/cd/PowerPC/install/rpxlite/
>
> All the included files are symbolic links. I need the links, not the
> files linked. I tried with several browsers and ftp programs (on
> Windows and Linux) and I can no get the files: one program hung,
> another lists but not download, other downloads the file linked... No
> one download the link.
>
> Can it be done?
>
> Thanks

I download whole directories with wget and get links and files.
Get a directory and create a script file that will call wget

It is one of the very best programs to do this.
There might be a way with ncftp but when I use ncftp and got
a file and it's symbolic link ncftp loads two identical files, ignoring
the fact that one is just a symbolic link.

--
Tired of Microsoft's rebootive multitasking?
then it's time to upgrade to Linux.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Victor Wagner)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: How to decompress debian package? Pls help
Date: 10 Nov 2000 22:37:40 +0300

In comp.os.linux.misc Alan Po <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Dear sir

: I have got a ash file but is in debain package (deb extension). I don't
: know how to decompress under Red Hat. Would you give me help? Thanks a
: lot

ar p filename.deb data.tar.gz |tar xzf -

--
How many chunks could checkchunk check if checkchunk could check chunks?
        -- Alan Cox

------------------------------

From: Mike Mattix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem with upgrading kernel
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 21:08:15 -0600

Raibatak Das wrote:

> i was trying to upgrade to kernel version 2.4 on my machine with linux
> mandrake 7.2 currently using kernel version 2.2.17-21mdksecure and ran
> into
> the following  problem. any help in resolving this issue would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> the usual make xconfig; make dep; make clean; make bzImage routine went
> fine. and i moved the resulting bzImage file to the /boot directory. now,
> prior to this my /etc/lilo.conf file looked as follows.

> boot=/dev/hda
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> vga=normal
> default=linux
> keytable=/boot/us.klt
> lba32
> prompt
> timeout=50
> message=/boot/message
> menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-secure
>         label=linux
>         root=/dev/hda1
>         initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.17-21mdksecure.img
>         vga=788
>         read-only
> image=/boot/vmlinuz
>         label=linux-up
>         root=/dev/hda1
>         initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.17mdk.img
>         read-only
> image=/boot/vmlinuz
>         label=failsafe
>         root=/dev/hda1
>         initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.17mdk.img
>         append=" failsafe"
>         read-only
> and after compiling the new kernel i added the following section to the
> above file.
>
> image = /boot/bzImage
> label = linux-new
> root = /dev/hda1
> read-only
>
> note that there is no corresponding line for initrd = ...
>
> following this i ran lilo which registered the new boot image fine. but
> when i try to reboot with the new kernel, it basically reaches a point in
> the boot up process where it tries to mount / and runs into a segmentation
> fault and hangs. also, when i try to add the initrd =
> /boot/initrd-2.2.17mdk.img in the new section of /etc/lilo.conf file, and
> try to boot with the new kernel it goes into kernel panic and hangs.
>
> could someone provide some insight into what's going on here? more
> specifically what is the purpose of the initrd tag and how can i generate
> a corresponding initrd.img file for the new kernel?
>
> thanks in advance.
> raibatak.
You need to run mkinitrd pointing to the new 2.2.4 kernel.  Initrd (I must
have posted this more than a few times) loads the modules you require to
mount the system root (/).  If your system root resides on a SCSI drive or
uses a modular file system (ReiserFS) then your boot will generate a kernel
panic as it will not be able to mount the file system root.

Example: 'mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.2.4-0mdk.img 2.2.4-0mdk' (I used 0
because I do not know what revision you are using).  Edit the
/etc/lilo.conf and add the initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.4-0mdk.img line to your
new kernel entry.

HTH
--
Mike Mattix

From: RJ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: E-mail
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 03:30:08 -0000

Palmer's wrote:

> I downloaded Mandrake 7.2 and installed it fairly flawlessly to a PIII
> 600mz 128 mb PC I want to use it is as a Mail server for a workgroup of
> 20 MS win98  machines (school project). I am able to send mail between
> the machines through the M7.2 Linux box. I have one problem.
>
> First here are the points
>
> 1) I presently have Postfix  running on the machine. but can switch to
> Sendmail.
> 2) I have setup outlook express on each win98 machine
>
> The problem is when I send mail between the machines, outlook express
> first says connecting, then authorizing in which then it waits alone time
> authorizing sometime as much as a minute then the mail goes through. (The
> problems is its spends a long time authorizing but still works)
>
> Users shouldn't have to wait a minute for their e-mail to send.
>
> Has anyone had this problem?
> any suggestions?
>
> Thanks

The delay that your client machines are experiencing is most likely caused
by an unsuccessful DNS query which must timeout before the mail operation
can continue.

To fix this, make sure that all of the computers involved are using a name
server which can properly resolve their machine names _AND_ reverse resolve
their IP addresses.

If you're on a private network (not part of the Internet) you could
configure your Mandrake machine as an authoritative name server for the
network you've constructed.  If this is the case and you're not sure how to
go about doing that, drop me a line and I'll see if I can point you towards
some useful information.

Regards,
RJ

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Windows98 / Linux 6.2 dual boot
Date: 11 Nov 2000 03:51:51 GMT

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000 18:30:04 -0000, Man Drake wrote:
>I'd say the EASIEST way to do it is grab PartitionMagic off a warez site
>and let it do the work for you, or grab one of the linux distros with a
>partitioning program built in (Corel Linux and Linux Mandrake are two that
>I know of), and both of those give you the option of dual-booting.

Or if you're not into doing illegal things, use FIPS.EXE, which is on
every Linux distro CD in the /dosutils directory.  Follow these steps if
your disk has 1 bloody huge FAT32 partition on it:

0. Insert floppy disk, FORMAT A:
1. SYS A:
2. COPY X:\DOSUTILS\FIPS\FIPS20\FIPS.EXE A:
3. Defrag the bloody huge FAT partition.
4. boot from the DOS bootdisk you made in steps 0-2.
5. Run FIPS, shrink your 1st FAT partition to about 7.9G or so.
6. Boot from Linux CD-ROM or Linux bootdisk made with RAWRITE.EXE
7. When you get to the "partitioning" part of the install, delete the
second partition on the drive.  This is the partition FIPS created.  DO
NOT touch the first partition; this is your Lose9x installation.
8. In the empty space, create a /boot partition that's entirely before
cylinder 1024.  It doesn't have to be large--20M will do.
9. Create an extended partition on the rest of the disk, and fill it
with Linux partitions, FAT32 partitions, Linux swap, whatever takes your
fancy.
10. Install Linux.  Enjoy.

LoseME may have problems with this; they've disabled some of the old DOS
functionality.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: "SilverFlyingPotato" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: microsoft.public.frontpage.client,alt.www.webmaster,alt.html
Subject: Re: mirror site setup
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:12:37 GMT

"Cguru Internet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8uhbhp$1rh8v$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
| In article <8ug8ee$d2s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
| > hello all
| > I want to setup a mirror site in my organisation ( for evaulation
| > purpose only ). How can i do that ? CAN  anyone suggest me good
| > articals on mirror site setup?
| > thanks in advance newlinx
| Is it a UNIX based server or an NT based server?
| If it's UNIX based it's easy, there are many programs that will allow you
| to do this (go to freshmeat.net)
| If it's NT, you'll need to buy 3rd party software, or give Mirror a
| whirl, but you'll need perl installed on the NT server, and you need to
| do some tweaking to the code

or you could just upload it a 2nd time to a diff server :)

--
 - SilverFlyingPotato          ollie175@[nospam].hotmail.com
 - ICQ#13194913

People in grass houses shouldn't stow thrones.,.

Th3 d1ff3r3nc3 b3tw33n auZtra|1a and Y0ghurt, 1Z that Y0ghurt haZ a r3a|,
|1v3 cu|tur3...

   http://users.bigpond.net.au/ollie/ollie.html  õ¿õ

If Yoda great Jedi Master he is, Why not good sentence construct can he?

(cos([theta]-r)-sin[theta])(r^(4)-2r^(2)cos(2[theta]+2.4)+0.9)+(0.62r)^(1000
)<0

<ANNOYED>
   ***{   L O G I T E C H   S U C K S   }***
</ANNOYED>

 [Ollie]

                         2
      *           *****
  *****  ******  *     *
 *    *  *       *     *
  **     ****    ******
    **   *       *
 *    *  *       *
 *****   *       *
 *

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: chinese newspapers collection
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 03:56:23 GMT

grouping hundres chinese newspapers websites around the world
bookmark it for reference

http://c3w3m.freeservers.com

From: MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 20:17:54 -0800

Mike Mattix wrote:

> You need to run mkinitrd pointing to the new 2.2.4 kernel.  Initrd (I must
> have posted this more than a few times) loads the modules you require to
> mount the system root (/).  If your system root resides on a SCSI drive or
> uses a modular file system (ReiserFS) then your boot will generate a kernel
> panic as it will not be able to mount the file system root.
>
> Example: 'mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.2.4-0mdk.img 2.2.4-0mdk' (I used 0
> because I do not know what revision you are using).  Edit the
> /etc/lilo.conf and add the initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.4-0mdk.img line to your
> new kernel entry.

Or recompile your kernel with support for your boot device.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Black Screen of Death
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:30:03 -0000

I encountered a similar problem with redhat 6.1.  Mine was caused by a full
filesystem.  The problem only occurred when X would try to start with kde
or gnome.  The screen would go black and the monitor would make a
clicking noise.  From a command line, I had no problems.  This might be
something worth checking into on your own system.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 11 Nov 2000 04:33:53 GMT

On Sat, 11 Nov 2000 01:37:10 GMT, John Bacalle wrote:
>* [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> But besides that, I think I know the reason why .plan and .project aren't
>> showing up while the finger request is being processed...
>
>In the original post I showed 'ls -l' results:
>
>   -rw-rw-r--   1 john     john           19 Nov  7 07:45 .plan
>   -rw-rw-r--   1 john     john           26 Nov  7 07:46 .project
>
>> 2> If that doesn't work, your home directory also needs to be world readable
>> for finger to work with .plan files.
>
>We're talking about remote finger. Local fingering shows these files. I
>can't believe that anyone is expected to make their _home_ directory a=r.
>You're telling me to set my _$HOME_ a=rx? Not 'those files' but my home
>dir? I can't believe that's the problem.

Er.  I may be barking up the wrong tree entirely here, but at a large
university in the US, all students have accounts on a number of Solaris
boxen.  They're using AFS, which has ACLs instead of permissions for
these things, but ~ and ~/Public are chmod'ed 755.  ~/Private is
chmod'ed 700.

Anyway, ~/.plan is symlinked to ~/Public/.plan .  For this to work, I'm
positive that ~ would at least have to be 711, with ~/Public/.plan 755
or similar, and ~/Public has to be 755.  Execute/search permission
doesn't necessarily imply read permission, at least with directories.  I
*think* this should work, but be careful as I've had several beers.

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: LinkSys betrayed us! Poor prospects for Linux.
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:35:40 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:6BUO5.2706$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.hardware Les Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : Wasn't the Linux driver included on a floppy in the box with the
> : card?    Or, if you already have a dial-up connection working
> : just grab the newest before you switch.
>
> For most newer revisions of the card, the linux driver wasn't new enough.

You mean they included a floppy with a driver that didn't work?   I
avoided the problem because I stocked up on the DEC-chip version
of the card when I found out they were changing.   Do the new ones
work as well after you get the driver installed?  And do the latest
Linux distributions (Mandrake 7.2, RH 7.0, etc.) include the correct
version?

    Les Mikesell

From: "Ö¿Ö" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: rpm dependency problem
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:57:06 GMT

Hey,
    If you are "sure" that all these are installed then just try
> rpm -i --test tcl-8.3.2-1.i386.rpm --nodeps
If the installed rpm then works you know it was complaining about nothing
( happens to me every now and then)
If it does not work then you know it had a valid complaint and you should
look into it further....
cheers,
harv

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Kevin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: microsoft.public.frontpage.client,alt.www.webmaster,alt.html
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 23:49:41 -0500

Yes, but with a mirroring program like the ones listed:
http://freshmeat.net/appindex/Console/Mirroring.html all you have to do is
update one site and the program will update all sites.

--
Kevin

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
FREE Newsletter packed with informative tips
and tricks for every webmaster. Subscribe Now!
http://www.bluetassel.com/subscribe.shtml
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

news:VG3P5.2917$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.groupware.lotus-notes.admin,comp.groupware.lotus-notes.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Is there any limitation to the numbers of opening files? thanks
Date: 11 Nov 2000 04:53:44 GMT

Look at /usr/include/linux/limits.h

-- Gene Wiggins
-- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Benjamin Autin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,linux.redhat.rpm
Subject: rpm dependency problems
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 22:59:24 -0600

I am having a problem installing pciutils-2.2.8-8 on my Red Hat Linux
system. There is one dependency that fails to resolve and it should.
Whenever I try to install the rpm I get the message that the package depends
upon a kernel >= 2.2.  I have kernel 2.2.17, but this message keeps cropping
up.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ben