Linux-Misc Digest #313, Volume #26               Wed, 15 Nov 00 03:13:01 EST

Contents:
  Re: cd rom drive will no longer mount - details below ("misterbooboo")
  Re: Program to convert Unix file format to DOS / Windows format. (Hagbard)
  Re: the relation between Linux and GCC (Te-Cheng Shen)
  VMElinux compilation problem
  Re: cannot modify file by root!!! (Mark Post)
  Re: cannot modify file by root!!! (Dances With Crows)
  Restoring RH 6.2 /usr/src/linux tree ("Paul Steckler")
  Getting system to re-read conf.modules (mike)
  cd rom drive will no longer mount ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  mail notification? (Tim)
  X Font Server Not Functioning (mike)
  Re: True GTK+ will eliminate Qt in next few years? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Getting system to re-read conf.modules (Vilmos Soti)
  Re: mail notification?
  Error - No such pid? ("Lamar Thomas")
  Re: HELP!! Partition Magic Error 105. PartitionInfo inside: Please  ("Steven J.
Hathaway")
  Re: Path problem (Eric)
  Re: divx? (Eric)
  Re: managing software ("Tom Wilson")
  Re: cd rom drive will no longer mount (Harsh Strider)

From: "misterbooboo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: cd rom drive will no longer mount - details below
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 22:12:37 -0600

Howdy-doo,

    The name should have been misterbooboo to start with.
Sorry -  I set up the newsreader too fast, not paying attention.
I hate MS 'wizards'!

I changed fstab to

 /dev/cdrom    /mnt/cdrom    iso9660    noauto,user,ro    0 0

and the goober CD drive now works.
This is a first! I didn't make something worse by changing it.
I'm almost worried about that <lol>

Thanks for the tips :-)

--
Jon - I love Jesus Christ
http://www.jonsplace.org/
"The infamous "Brian"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:BouP5.15899$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hi Jon:
>
> misterbooboo wrote in message ...
> >Cdrom (/mnt/cdrom --> /dev/hdc) no longer allows mount :-(
>

> What command are you attempting to use?
>
> Here is what I do;
>
> First add a line to your /etc/fstab (fstab is Linux for File System
TABle);

------------------------------

From: Hagbard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Program to convert Unix file format to DOS / Windows format.
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 23:18:21 -0500

try:

tr -d '\015' < FILENAME.DOS > FILENAME.LINUX

where FILENAME.DOS is the DOS text file you want converted & FILENAME.LINUX
is the file you want the output written to.

just trims the DOS carriage returns, but useful to have on hand...

substitute $1 for FILENAME.DOS and $2 for FILENAME.LINUX and make it an
executable file that accepts parameters.

hth,

hagbard

------------------------------

From: Te-Cheng Shen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: the relation between Linux and GCC
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 21:19:21 -0700

> I don't know for sure (not having been around Linux from the beginning),
> but it was probably the ACK (Amsterdam Compiler Kit) C compiler that
> came with Minix that was _first_ used to compile the Linux kernel.

    I assume that ACK generate binary code for intel i386 hardware then I can
understand that we can generate linux kernel on Minix machine.  What if we have
to generate binary code which is differnt from the host machine?  For example,
the OS I am learning is L4/MIPS.  We can compile it with a cross-compiler on a
Solaris machine then the cross compiler can generate MIPS codes.  The thing
that I do not understand is that how can a compiler can generate a kernel which
is run on different hardware?  Or, let me rephrase my question this way, can we
only boot linux kernel but do not install any compilers and libraries on this
machine?  What a system looks like if it only boot linux kernel?  If possible,
I hope that someone can direct me how to boot only a linux kernel.

> > Once Linux was running
> > well enough, GCC was recompiled (again, using Minix's version of GCC)
> > to run natively under Linux.

    ok... I got some of the ideas and it's making sense to me now.

>   Actually, the root of _this_ OS tree was hand coded in PDP-7 assembler,
> and cross assembled on (IIRC) a GE system (running GECOS). You might
> want to check out Lucent Technologies "History of Unix"

    I ckecked this out.  A great resouce on Unix!

    Ok.  I have another question on Linux system calls.

    Are there any documents on Linux System calls?  I will ask my next question
when I read those documents?

Thanks a lot

STC

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: VMElinux compilation problem
Date: 15 Nov 2000 04:27:27 GMT

Dear comp.os.linux.misc,

Has anyone in this newsgroup used Vmelinux (a set of utilities used to access VME via
a universe chip)?

I have an SBS VP7 (700 Mhz PIII with the Universe IIb/64M/12G) It has the stock RH 7.0
with gcc-2.96.54 on it.  When I try to make the "vmeutils" program, I get this wierd
error (Using VMElinux-0.95)

[root@host vmeutils]# make
gcc  -g -o vmeutils vmeutils.cpp commands.cpp unilib.cpp
commands.cpp:111: cannot convert `void (*) (char *, int)' to `void *'
in initialization
make: *** [vmeutils] Error 1

I have listed the first 111 lines of the file in question, commands.cpp below:
If anyone has any suggestions as to what the problem might be, I would greatly
appreciate them.  The main problem is that I have not seen such a weird casting
statement before, and I don't really know what it is trying to do.  Thanks in advance.
 --Kyle

(commands.cpp)
 head -111 commands.cpp
//title: VME Debugger for XVME-655
//version: Linux 0.9
//date: February 1998
//designer: Michael Wyrick
//programmer: Michael Wyrick
//project: VMELinux Project in association with Chesapeake Research
//platform: Linux 2.0.30 on a XVME-655
//language: GCC 2.7.2
//module:
//------------------------------------------------------------------------------
//  Purpose:
//  Docs:
//------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <sys/ioctl.h>
#include <asm/io.h>
#include <malloc.h>

#include "unilib.h"
#include "commands.h"
#include "universe.h"
#include "vmeutils.h"

#define CMDT_NULL  0
#define CMDT_FUNC  1
#define CMDT_MODC  2
#define CMDT_MODI  3
#define CMDT_MODL  4
#define CMDT_MODB  5

#define DEFCNT 128

// Size of a DMA write file transfer
#define WRITEBUFSIZE    1024

int VMEspace = 1;        // 1 = A16, 2 = A24, 3 = A32

char TestValueC = 0;
int  TestValueI = 0;
long TestValueL = 0;

long FixedAdder = 0;
long VME_Valid_Base = 0;
long VME_Valid_Cnt  = 0;

typedef void (*func)(char *,int);

  //The above line seems to be the offender, though it is not line 111

typedef struct {
  int  CmdType;
  char *command;
  int  NumParams;
  void *pointer;
  //func pointer;

  // void (*func)(char *,int) pointer;
  } COMMAND;

COMMAND cmdTable[] = {
    {CMDT_FUNC,"QUIT",0,quit},
    {CMDT_FUNC,"Q",0,quit},
    {CMDT_FUNC,"EXIT",0,quit},
    {CMDT_FUNC,"E",0,quit},
    {CMDT_FUNC,"HELP",0,help},
    {CMDT_FUNC,"?",0,help},
    {CMDT_FUNC,"STATUS",0,status},
    {CMDT_FUNC,"REGS",0,regs},
    {CMDT_FUNC,"CLS",0,clear},

    {CMDT_FUNC,"D",2,Display},
    {CMDT_FUNC,"R",2,Display},
    {CMDT_FUNC,"RB",2,Display},
    {CMDT_FUNC,"T",2,DisplayMonitor},
    {CMDT_FUNC,"DW",2,DisplayWord},
    {CMDT_FUNC,"RW",2,DisplayWord},
    {CMDT_FUNC,"DL",2,DisplayLong},
    {CMDT_FUNC,"RL",2,DisplayLong},

    {CMDT_FUNC,"W",2,Write},
    {CMDT_FUNC,"WB",2,Write},
    {CMDT_FUNC,"WW",2,WriteWord},
    {CMDT_FUNC,"WL",2,WriteLong},

    {CMDT_FUNC,"RF",2,ReadFile},
    {CMDT_FUNC,"WF",2,WriteFile},
    {CMDT_FUNC,"WSRF",2,WriteSRecordsFile},

    {CMDT_FUNC,"SEEK",1,Seek},

    {CMDT_FUNC,"REGR",1,ReadReg},
    {CMDT_FUNC,"REGW",2,WriteReg},

    {CMDT_FUNC,"MAP",1,vmemap1},

    {CMDT_FUNC,"TESTWRITE",1,TestWrite},
    {CMDT_FUNC,"TESTREAD",1,TestRead},
    {CMDT_FUNC,"TESTDMA",1,TestDMA},
    {CMDT_FUNC,"TESTPROGRAMMED",1,TestProgrammed},

    {CMDT_FUNC,"WINT", 1, wint},

    {CMDT_MODL,"FA",1,&FixedAdder},

    {CMDT_NULL,"",0,NULL}               // End of Table
  };

______________________
Kyle Richard Burchesky
UIC Physics Department

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Post)
Subject: Re: cannot modify file by root!!!
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 04:31:13 GMT

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000 11:43:13 +0800, "Hello World" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>with permission 0644 and owned by root, i cannot modify or delete the file
>with the root account ........ keep saying that permission denied. can
>anyone suggest and reason of this and how can i solve this?

The file may be in use by another process.

Mark Post

Postmodern Consulting
Information Technology and Systems Management Consulting
To send me email, replace 'nospam' with 'home'.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 15 Nov 2000 04:33:58 GMT

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000 11:43:13 +0800, Hello World wrote:
>with permission 0644 and owned by root, i cannot modify or delete the file
>with the root account ........ keep saying that permission denied. can
>anyone suggest and reason of this and how can i solve this?

What's the file?  There are a number of things that might be causing
this:  The file is marked "immutable" ("chattr -i" to undo this), the
file is something that doesn't actually exist (if it's in /proc, for
instance) or the filesystem the file is on has something wrong with it.
If it's not immutable or in /proc, then you should umount the filesystem
the file is on and run e2fsck on that filesystem.  If this file is on /
, you can't umount the filesystem, so take the system down to
single-user mode, "mount / -o remount,ro && e2fsck /dev/$ROOT && mount /
-o remount,rw" replacing $ROOT with the device name of your root
partition (something like "hdb1", usually.)  If this doesn't fix the
problem, then you may need to run debugfs.  HTH, good luck....

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: "Paul Steckler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Restoring RH 6.2 /usr/src/linux tree
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 22:57:28 -0600

In an attempt to install a kernel patch for the Onstream DI30 tape drive,
I deleted my /usr/src/linux-2.2.14 directory in a RedHat 6.2 installation.
I have a tar.gz for the 2.2.14 kernel, but apparently RH6.2 ships with a
slightly patched kernel.

So how can I get back the original RH version of this directory, and
especially
the original .config file?

-- Paul

------------------------------

From: mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Getting system to re-read conf.modules
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 23:57:31 -0500

Hi,
    I am presently using Redhat Linux 6.1 and would like
to be able to get the system to re-read /etc/conf.modules
with out rebooting the system. I would find this useful
for testing various configuration changes.

                                                            Thanks
                                                                    Mike

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: cd rom drive will no longer mount
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 04:52:13 GMT

Dear Mr. Brian,
I have the same problem with Mr. Jon. Whenever I mount the cdrom using
this commmand:
mount /dev/cdrom
I get this error message:
mount: Wrong medium type
I've checked my /etc/fstab and it's ok. Plase help me.
Long.

From: Tim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: mail notification?
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 00:01:29 -0500

anyone know of a good way to be alerted when you have received mail?  I'm
running KDE 2.0, and I seem to remember the old red hat distros (maybe it
was gnome though) had a good alert.. .any ideas?

------------------------------

From: mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: X Font Server Not Functioning
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 00:32:31 -0500

Hi,
    I had to put font paths in manually in XF86Config
and commented out font path 'unix/:-1' ,in order
for X windows to be able to run. What would prevent the
font server from working?

                                                        Thanks
                                                            Mike

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: True GTK+ will eliminate Qt in next few years?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.x,comp.unix.solaris
Date: 14 Nov 2000 23:34:00 -0600

In comp.os.linux.advocacy mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have looked at both gtk and qt, I am amazed that gtk is not ridiculed
> more.

> I wouldn't put one minute's worth of code towards the GTK. QT/KDE is
> better.

I think it doesn't matter how good or bad the API is.  It's the finished
product that really matters.  Just think - Motif and GTk may be "horrible" to
you, but programmers still managed to code some nice apps with it.  Hell,
look at Windows' API.  Don't tell me the Motif or GTk APIs could be any worse
than the Windows API and/or MFC.  You have to wonder how Windows programmers
can stand working with that.  With unix/X11, at least you have a choice as to
which API/toolkit you want to work with.

Subject: Re: Getting system to re-read conf.modules
From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 05:41:33 GMT

mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>     I am presently using Redhat Linux 6.1 and would like
> to be able to get the system to re-read /etc/conf.modules
> with out rebooting the system. I would find this useful
> for testing various configuration changes.

# date
Tue Nov 14 22:57:44 PST 2000
# ls -l --time=atime /etc/conf.modules
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          710 Nov 14 17:58 /etc/conf.modules
# depmod -a
# ls -l --time=atime /etc/conf.modules
Tue Nov 14 22:57:53 PST 2000
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          710 Nov 14 22:57 /etc/conf.modules

I am running RedHat 6.0.

Vilmos

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mail notification?
Date: 15 Nov 2000 05:49:35 GMT

Tim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> anyone know of a good way to be alerted when you have received mail?  I'm
> running KDE 2.0, and I seem to remember the old red hat distros (maybe it
> was gnome though) had a good alert.. .any ideas?

did you try xbiff?

--kyle

------------------------------

From: "Lamar Thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Error - No such pid?
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 06:12:05 GMT

I am running RH 6.2.  I am connected to the Internet with a cable modem.
When I shutdown my system tonight using the following command: (shutdown -h
now) every service failed with a msg. like:

"[FAILED]"
"...Kill: (549) - No such pid"

It just started this tonight.  Any ideas?  I have the following software
installed on my system:

1.  Applixware 5.0 (Office suite)
2.  Oracle 8i for Linux

Thanks for any help.

Lamar

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 22:11:56 -0800
From: "Steven J. Hathaway" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: HELP!! Partition Magic Error 105. PartitionInfo inside: Please

I've seen numerous problems similar to your respondents.  Therefore I find it useful
to have
floppy-bootable linux with the ability to edit the /etc/... environment files suchas
/etc/lilo.conf
and /etc/fstab to restore basic Linux functionality.  If the ext2 file system is realy
messed-up
with partition magic, then a rebuild of the ext2 partition is required.

I have also seen BIOS problems with disk geometry translations for disks upto 8.4 GB.
Disks
larger than 8.4GB must use a linear access capability and the DOS based BIOS can only
recognize the first 540 MB of disk space.  In these situations, your primary boot
loader must
reside in the first 540 MB of the first disk unless your BIOS and boot loader knows how
to handle linear disk access capable of terabyte addressing.

Also some file systems have size limits, not often well documented.  Then other file
systems
or operating systems have limits on file size that may haunt you.

I'm sorry for not providing answers, but pose some questions that may help you
find answers to future systems maintenance issues.

- Steve Hathaway

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Path problem
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 08:18:52 +0100

Ryuji Yokoyama wrote:

> Thanks for people who responded my question.  However, I can't find the
> solution.  I tried ./ instead of ., and there is export statement at the
> bottom of each file.  In addition, I once put path into .bash file.  Is
> there any other suggestion?  I have been using RH linux since 4.2 and as
> well as Slackware and Openlinux, but I have never experienced this
> problem.
>
> Yes, I tried from KDE's terminal window like Bill mentioned.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> > Hello All!
> >
> > I just installed RedHat 7 and have a problem. I wanted put current
> > directory into PATH, so I put . into /etc/profile, which has following
> > line.
> >
> > PATH="$PATH:.:/usr/X11R6/bin:"
> >
> > However, it did not work, so I also put . into .bash_profile file
> >
> > PATH=.:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:$PATH:$HOME/bin
> >
> > However, RH7 still doesn't search my current directory.  Please tell me
> > what I need to do.
> >
> > Thanks in advance

What does `echo $PATH` return?

This will work (if you use bash or ksh):

(on one line)

export PATH=$PATH:.

now if you enter

`echo $PATH`

you will see . is listed there

Eric

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: divx?
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 08:26:09 +0100

Janet wrote:

> William McBrine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Janet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Also, are there any good DivX players for Linux?  (I'm having a heck
> > > of a time trying to compile aviplay.)
> >
> > Aviplay is it. (XMPS is just based on aviplay, and there aren't any others,
> > AFAIK.) What trouble are you having? I had quite a bit myself, but it was
> > worth the hassle.
>
> OK, I'll try again.  Perhaps my version of make is too old...it doesn't
> like the rules that look like
> .cpp.o:
>         blah

You'll need to make CC=g++ for those to compile

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: managing software
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 07:26:12 GMT

<NAVARRO LOPEZ>; "Jesús Manuel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Bartosz Aninowski wrote:
> >
> > I am looking for simple but safety aplicication to
> > manage (from WWW) user quota, user accounts(e-mail, password etc) and
> > subdomain entry.
> > It could be not for admin just for users in order to setup all thing by
> > themselfs.
> >

> Take a look at webmin.
> --
> SALUD,
> Jesús
> ***
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ***

Definitely webmin!

--
Tom Wilson
Registered Linux User #194021

They're operating systems...Not religions
GET A LIFE!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harsh Strider)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: cd rom drive will no longer mount
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 08:03:45 GMT

Hello,

Use this command to mount a cd-rom.