  Gamepsy 3d for Linux (Deech)

From: Eric J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Can you help me with my 1270 ? please ?
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 08:14:32 GMT

  Hi , I have a 1270 also and I reformated and lost my sound driver and
have no restore disk , can you send me th sound driver for it , I can't
find it anywhere , I f you can burn a copy of the restore disk I will
pay you good money :-) Thanks  , Eric

email is   [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Thanks again

ps:  I am running win 98

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harri Haataja)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: True GTK+ will eliminate Qt in next few years?
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 08:15:17 GMT

Evan DiBiase wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]  wrote:
>
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Henrik Keiler
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> GTK+ is history. Microsoft is planning a massive lawsuit against GTK+
>>> authors and Gnome  fondation starting in Q1/2001. They claim that GTK+
>>> violates both US  patents (we don't care about software patents here in
>>> europe, but...)  and their intellectual property (even europe cares
>>> about that !!). Shipping a product based on GTK+ will be dangerous - if
>>> this lawsuit  will be won by microsoft (and GTK+ _is_ violating their
>>> patents - that  is the primary problem: M$ has patents covering what
>>> GTK+ does... ;-(( )  all vendors who are using GTK+ and GTK+-based
>>> products (Gnome) will have  to pay license fees. I won't recomment
>>> using GTK+ until these "issues" have been solved -  otherwise you may
>>> have to pay many $$ to M$... ;-(
>
>Bah, I'll believe it when I see the links to the patents that GTK
>violates. Until then, this reeks of a scare tactic (why someone would
>want to scare people away from GTK, I don't know).

Didn't you hear about Sun and other UNIX vendors jumping for GNOME as
the unified UNIX desktop?

M$ wants to hit that, I think.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Restoring RH 6.2 /usr/src/linux tree
Date: 15 Nov 2000 08:32:55 GMT

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000 22:57:28 -0600, Paul Steckler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In an attempt to install a kernel patch for the Onstream DI30 tape drive,
>I deleted my /usr/src/linux-2.2.14 directory in a RedHat 6.2 installation.
>I have a tar.gz for the 2.2.14 kernel, but apparently RH6.2 ships with a
>slightly patched kernel.

It is actualy more than slightly patched.  If you install kernel.*.src.rpm
from the SRPMS dirctory you can see in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES what
patches are actualy applied.

>So how can I get back the original RH version of this directory, and
>especially
>the original .config file?

Install the kernel-source rpm package from the RH6.2 CD.  Possible with
the --force flag to force package overwrite.  The original config files
are found in /usr/src/linux/configs, one config file for each of the shipped
kernel versions (386, 586, 686).

Villy

------------------------------

From: "Quiney, Philip [HAL02:HH00:EXCH]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 08:11:13 +0000

Paul Steckler wrote:

> In an attempt to install a kernel patch for the Onstream DI30 tape drive,
> I deleted my /usr/src/linux-2.2.14 directory in a RedHat 6.2 installation.
> I have a tar.gz for the 2.2.14 kernel, but apparently RH6.2 ships with a
> slightly patched kernel.
>
> So how can I get back the original RH version of this directory, and
> especially
> the original .config file?
>
> -- Paul
Hi,

Mount the RedHat CD and find the RPMS  directory on the CD
(/mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS IIRC). The kernel source is one of the few
'source' rpms on the 'binary' install CD.

As root type

rpm -U --force kernel-source-2.2.14-5.0.i386.rpm

..without --force rpm will tell you the package is already installed -
as you nuked the directory yourself the rpm database is out of step with
reality. ;-)

If you are lucky the .config file will be part of the rpm - normal
kernel tarballs don't have a .config which in some ways a shame.

Regards

Phil Q

--

Phil Quiney                             CSIP Demonstrator
[EMAIL PROTECTED]              Nortel Networks,

"This message may contain information proprietary to Northern
Telecom so any unauthorised disclosure, copying or distribution
of its contents is strictly prohibited."

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is there some kind of "graphical" trafshow?
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 09:42:57 +0100

Dr Aldo Medina wrote:

> And which is the trafshow's homepage?
>
> --
> Linux User #98419         -o)    | A man's got to do what a man's got
> http://counter.li.org      /\    | to do. A woman must do what he
> ICQ 94335020              _\_v   | can't - Rhonda Bombeck
> Si quieres ayudarme, ponme de    |
> referencia en www.puntosclub.com |

And what are you talking about?

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Elliot and Else Gingold" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X-Windows trys to start and then crashes
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 20:34:27 +1100

dd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> mike wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >     I am running Redhat 6.1 on a 386 type machine a NexGen 586, I am
> > told.
> >     The error message I get is the following
> > -FontTransocketUNIXConnect: can't connect" errno = 111
> > failed to set default font 'unix/:-1'
> > Fatal server error:
> > could not open default font 'fixed'
> > X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)
> >
> >                                                         Thanks
> >                                                             Mike
>
> That means the font server, xfs (This is in Mandrake, not sure what it
> calls in RedHat), is not running.  Enable font server so that it starts
> at boot using linuxconf.  Otherwise, edit /etc/X11/XF86Config, or
> /etc/XF86Config to set font dirs properly to something like this (make
> sure these font dirs exists):
>
> Section "Files"
>    RgbPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
>    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled"
>    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
>    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
>    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
>    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
>    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
>    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
>    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
> EndSection

This is good advice and should work. However, it didn't for me on one
occasion. This was because one of the font folders I found in this directory
was true type fonts (from some previous installation). it was called ttfonts
or similar. Eliminating this and the problem was gone. Obviously X did not
like them! So look out for fonts different from these above!

Elliot

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Copy and file-viewing problem
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 10:34:31 +0100

Vengly Tong wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I recently installed RedHat on my \hdb1 (kernel 2.0.36).  My \hda1 and
> \hdd1 are Windows-based drives.  I have checked the mtab and ensured that
> hda1 and hdd1 are VFAT types.  These are the problems I have (logged in as
> root):
>
> Problem #1: When I list the directories in hda1 or hdd1, not all files
> show up, although I *know* they are in the directories (I see them when
> I'm in Windows).  Why is this?
>
> Problem #2: For some of those that I do see, I can't seem to copy them
> into hdb1 properly.  For e.g., I have a file, myfile.tgz (chmod=755)
> sitting in hda1.  When I try to copy it, I get an "Input/Output error"
> message.  The filename is created in hdb1, but 0 bytes.  Is this in some
> way related to Problem #1?
>
> I used to have the 2.0.27 kernel (via slakware) and did not have problems
> like this.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sounds very dangerous to me, could you please post the result of both:

`fdisk -l /dev/hda`

and

`fdisk -l /dev/hdb`

Eric

------------------------------

From: Kevin Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 15 Nov 2000 19:40:49 +1000

mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have at least a gigabyte of space left and 80megs of system ram
> and at least 120megs swap space. What is the relevance of
> the amount of disk space to the X-Windows crash?
>
>                                                 Thanks
>                                                         Mike
>
> Lori Holder-Webb wrote:
>
> > How much space is available on your disk?
> >
> > mike wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >  I am running Redhat 6.1 on a 386 type machine a NexGen 586, I am
> > > told.
> > >     The error message I get is the following
> > > -FontTransocketUNIXConnect: can't connect" errno = 111
> > > failed to set default font 'unix/:-1'
> > > Fatal server error:
> > > could not open default font 'fixed'
> > > X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)
> > >
> > >                                                         Thanks
> > >                                                             Mike

I have exactly the same problem (error message)on a newly installed mandrake
7.2, a temporary fix is to run Xconfigurator again, but it works only once,
the next time u run x the error comes back.

Havent looked too far into it as its only a trial installation, but i think
somehow the links created by the Xconfigurator program are being deleted...
Probably a link pointing to the default fonts specified by XF86Config...

--
Kevin Hayes
Freshwater, Australia

------------------------------

From: Franz Sauerzopf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Installing Linux
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 10:46:03 +0100

Etienne Laurin wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I would like to install Linux (Mandrake Linux 7.2 to be exact) on my
> hard drive which is partitioned in multiple 2Gb partitions and
> considering that it would be installed on the third partition (an
> extended partition I think), it would be passed the 1024e cylinder. I
> would like to know if it is possible to install (and boot) Linux passed
> the 1024e cylinder.

 No problem if your bios can do it. New LILO releases accept the keyword
"lba32" in a line of your lilo.conf, and it works.

--
Franz Sauerzopf
Atominstitut, TU Wien

------------------------------

From: "Nico Neumann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: If I switch to Mandrake 7.2, will I take a hit?
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 10:04:34 +0100

> Well I have been playing around with 7.2 for a few days now on a
> macine similar to yours, and I think it is a shit distribution,
> probably the worst I have used in 5 years of playing with Linux. I
> have had no end of problems.

LOL.. but on a Redhat and dance a SuSe dance :)
Maybe these distributions would appreciate your comments,
I guess none of us here does.

Yours,

daNick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anita Lewis)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: HELP!! Partition Magic Error 105. PartitionInfo inside: Please look!!
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 10:05:21 GMT

On Tue, 07 Nov 2000 05:34:01 GMT, Brando wrote:

>I'm trying to recover my partition. I had it split up my 6GB HD into 2.5GB Windows98
>and
>3.5GB Linux (Mandrake 7.1). I just recently could not boot up into Linux. I got this
>error
>during bootup:
>> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:05
>
>So, I was going to just remove the Linux partition and freshly install LM 7.2
>But, when I run Partition Magic Pro 6.0 in DOS, I get Error 105:
>> Error 105 Partition starts on wrong boundary
>>
>> Cause of this problem:
>> The hard-disk partition table contains erroneous values. PartitionMagic expects
>> FAT, NTFS, and HPFS partitions to begin and end on the boundaries used by
>> FDISK. If they  do not, the disk may be partially corrupted. In this circumstance,
>if
>> PartitionMagic were to make any modifications it might cause loss of data.
>> Therefore, PartitionMagic refuses to recognize any of the hard disk·s partitions.
>
>So what can I do to resize my Windows98 partition to the full size of the HD without
>damaging the Win98 partition?
>
>Here's the PartitionInfo output:
>>General System Information:
>>    Total Physical Memory (bytes):  58,159,104
>>    Used Physical Memory: (bytes):  54,263,808
>>    Maximum Page File Size: (bytes):  237,502,464
>>    Current Page File Size: (bytes):  48,635,904
>>

>>===========================================================================================================
>>Disk Geometry Information for Disk 1:    776 Cylinders,  240 Heads,  63 Sectors/Track
>>Warning: Logical drive chain points to sector without partition table.
>>System              PartSect  # Boot BCyl Head Sect  FS    ECyl Head Sect
>StartSect     NumSects
>>===========================================================================================================
>>                           0  0  80     1    0    1  84      38   15   63
>15,120      560,448
>>Info: Partition didn't end on cylinder boundary.
>>  ucEndHead expected to be 239, not 15.
>>NOTEBOOK                   0  1  00    38   16    1  0B     375  239   63
>575,568    5,109,552
>>Error #105: Partition didn't begin on head boundary.
>>  ucBeginHead expected to be 0 or 1, not 16.
>>                           0  2  00   376    0    1  05     448  239   63
>5,685,120    1,103,760

I don't know Partition Magic.  I would suggest that you try to run a rescue
disk first before reinstalling.  I know the RedHat cdrom will run as a
rescue disk; so try that with your mandrake disk.  type 'linux rescue' at
the boot prompt unless it gives some different instructions on your disk.
If that doesn't work, use Windows to download and install tomsrtbt on a
floppy.  http://www.toms.net/rb/ .  That's good to have around anyway.

Once you have linux in RAM, which is what the rescue disk does, you can run
a couple of things.

fdisk -l /dev/hda - this will give you a partition table and possibly the same
information as you got with

e2fsck /dev/hda?  where ? is the partition number of your root (/boot) for
linux. If you have a separate /boot partition, be sure to run it on that
too.  It doesn't look like you do.  I see that you have that OS/2 partition
at the start, and I don't know what that is.  I just inherited a server that
has a small partition like that at the start of the drive and it is a sort
of bios; so you better not destroy that partition.  If e2fsck fixes things,
good.  If not, and you want to reinstall linux, you do not need to
repartition to do it.  You just reinstall and use that same partition that
is already there.

I would not use PM for partitioning, but then I've never used it.  I just
read all the problems from people who do.  There are probably lots of folks
using it successfully though.

Anita

------------------------------

From: Dave Butwell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 10:09:13 +0000

Paul,

Mandrake kernel 2.2.17 come with DI30 support built in.  I don't know if this is
standard to 2.2.17, but it may be worth a look.

Dave.

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: please help asap with rpm
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 21:02:01 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> how does one verify that the package is installed correctly.

"rpm -V [packagename]"

> how to find all the installed packages...

"rpm -qa"  or, if you're not a speed reader "rpm -qa|less"

You can also use this to check if a package is installed:
"rpm -qa|grep [packagename]"

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Phil Whiles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Lilo and moving an IDE disk
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 10:59:33 +0000

I have the following h/w:

Tyan Trinity S1598 mobo
IBM Deskstar 46Gb HD
Chaintech ATA100R pci controller (HPT370)

I wish to have the following IDE config

CD             Mobo Pri
CDRW       Mobo Sec
IBM HD     HPT370 Pri
ST HD        HPT370 Sec

(All on Master)

I can only install RH onto the IBM HD if it is on the mobo controller.
OK ....
I install RH, then modify the lilo.conf (floppy) with the append="ide2
etc etc"
Then I can use :

Lilo: linux root=/dev/hde2

(Having moved the IBM HD back onto the HPT370 of course).

This all boots hunkydory, RH boots from the HD, and can see all the
other IDE devices around.

My question is : how can I config the lilo.conf to use root=/dev/hde2,
to save me having to issue this on the lilo command line each time ?

If I modify lilo.conf to have /dev/hde2, then rerun lilo, it complains :

"Fatal : Not a number : "/dev/hde2"

Errr....

Regards

Phil Whiles

I have installed Redhat 7.0 (several times !) on to this HD.

From: Deech <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Gamepsy 3d for Linux
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 11:55:11 +0100

Does anyone know if there is a linux version of Gamespy3D. Or maybe an
alternative?

Thanx,
Deech