From: -ljl- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ctrl-Alt-Delete
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 20:09:21 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Charu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dear All,
> There is a line in /etc/inittab to trap ctrl-alt-delete
> Now what I want is to trap this command in such a way that
> nothing should happen when I press ctrl-alt-delete.

cat /etc/inittab
ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now

A start would be to disable the above line.  This can be done by
place a # as the first character in the above line. Like this:

#ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now

You'll need root privileges to edit this file

Wouldn't hurt to "man inittab" it's covered there, indirectly.
.
--
Louis-ljl-{ Louis J. LaBash, Jr. }

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 17 Nov 2000 20:30:41 GMT

Have you tried commenting out that line in /etc/inittab ?

------------------------------

From: mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hard Drive accessed every few seconds in KDE and Gnome, not Afterstep
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 20:33:00 GMT

Hi,
    I just noticed my hard drive being accessed every few seconds in
Gnome and KDE, but not Afterstep. It does not happen if I just
run the shell. I don't think that this was happening before.  It is not
only annoying, but it puts wear on the hard drive. I am using a P166
with 80 megs of ram and a few GB of hard drive space. The
system is Redhat 6.1.

   What could possibly cause this?

                                                            Thanks

                                                                    Mike

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: related ppp and rpm problems
Date: 17 Nov 2000 20:37:39 GMT

You can sometimes get out of rpm problems by rebuilding the rpm database:

  rpm --rebuilddb

Then reinstall ppp.  If you suspect the .rpm file you can check it:

  rpm -K --nogpg --nopgp *.rpm

Did your ISP change their login to chap or pap authentication?  You may
have to reconfigure your login.  You might try wvdial.  I have had that
work when others fail. YMMV.

Good luck...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thaddeus L Olczyk)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Really really weird lilo behavior.
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 20:47:32 GMT

>From previous post (Lilo Li... problem).
Have two herd derives original scsi and on ide.
Dual boot NT linux, using system commander deluxe.
Had to reinstall linux.
Installed lilo in mbr (overwriting system commander )
Won't boot stops at LI
Overwrote lilo mbr with system commander,  I get a warning
about not installing on the first drive.
Won't boot stop at LI
Put lilo on hda ( mbr of IDE instead of SCSI ), reset bios to boot
from IDE first.
Boots OK.
Try to modify SC (SCSI) to boot from IDE mbr and various partitions.
Won't boot.
Try to create floppy with lilo mbr, boot through SC (SCSI, choose boot
from floppy entry).
Won't boot stops at LI
Modify BIOS so that floppy boots if in place then SC (SCSI).
Boots from floppy.

Final result, I can either boot linux by installing a boot floppy,
or NT with a floppy.
Or I can change the BIOS between drives to choose OS.

Any idea of a better fix?

------------------------------

From: Harlan Grove <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bloatware
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 21:11:27 GMT

In article <8v1o6v$8fo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 Tim Banner <tim.banner*NOSPAM*@btinternet.com> wrote:

<snip>

>I purchased a Linux distro just as I did with Windows 9x.  Windows
>came with an GUI, a limited console, basic networking, a few
>multimedia apps, basic text editors and an Internet Explorer, a total
>of about 200-250MB's.  Just enough to get going, but not much else.
>My Linux distro, SuSE 6.4 came with over 1500 apps, 6CD's which comes
>to a rather impressive 4-5GB's.  Where does the Linux newbie start
>with this bewildering array of apps?  After a bit of experience, and a
>few re-installs I've now got it down to a Linux console (100-200MBs),
>X-Windows Server (50-100MBs), a few windows managers, KDE 2 and Gnome
>(ok I know I just need the QT and GTK+ toolkits but I'm trying to just
>make sure I'll just get the apps working) a couple of hundred more
>MB's, networking apps, source code for the kernel so I can recompile,
>a compiler and libraries for compiling (SuSE says 450MB's!) which lets
>face it, Linux would be useless without and finally the day to day
>apps and games which in fairness should not be counted (1GB).  These I
>consider the basics of my Linux system just to run.  A basic Linux
>set-up weighs in at 1-2GB's, which is sizably larger than the 250MB's
>of Windows.  Yes I know you get so much more, but I'm referring to a
>basic running system on which you can install further apps.  Since a
>distro is the only feasible way of a newbie getting Linux does this
>not make the Linux OS Bloatware?

For apples-to-apples comparison, Win9x does NOT provide (1) the kernel
source code files, (2) a compiler (but you do get QBasic and DEBUG.COM
on the CD - golly!), (3) alternatives to the default CLI, COMMAND.COM,
which is pathetic when compared to any shell, (4) alternatives to the
default GUI (for the most part), (5) other than basic client networking
apps, (6) most of the diagnostic tools in /sbin and /usr/sbin, (7) most
of the contents of /usr/doc (compare the HOWTO's to the rather minimal
system 'documentation' included with Win95).

You can't really compare a multiuser-capable OS like linux to a single-
user OS like Win9x. A better comparison would be to WinNT/2K with a
reasonably full \drvlib directory and the full Resource Kit installed.
There'd be less difference in disk space usage. Add ActiveState Perl,
StarOffice for Windows, a few free or shareware utilities and games,
and there'd be almost no difference.

Are the application CDs included with many distros really part of the
distros? Matter of semantics. Since it's possible to get a single CD
for most distros from Linux Mall or similar sites, and these single CDs
include enough to install workable systems, I'd say the application CDs
aren't really part of the distro. They're just marketing gimics that
give buyers more choices for how to use the distro. Choice can be hard,
choice can be confusing, but choice is good. It can be misused to
create bloated systems, but this isn't unavoidable.

From: "Jerry Segers, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: kernal can't find /sbin/init help
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 16:22:19 +0500

folowups to comp.os.linux.setup

like the subject says.
On a i686  Redhat 7.0 running kernel 2.2.16-22
defunct kernel 2.2.17
I got the source from kernel.org
I configured it
I ran make dep
I edited the line of the Makefile from cc -> kgcc
make distclean and start over
I compiled it (eventually) with make bzImage
I ran make zlilo
I edited lilo.conf to add the new kernel
I ran lilo
Reboot and find the prob.
I read a large portion of the kernel howto, the readme with the kernel,
man init, and some of the documentation folder that came with the kernel.

I'm stumped.

the last thing it succedes at is: mounted root (ext2fs) readonly freeing
unused kernel memory panic, maybe you should specify an init=

well, init=/sbin/init, init=rc.sysinit, init=/bin/bash don't change
anything (I didn't try them all at once) AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGHHH!!!!

I don't have any revision of: libc5, procinfo, autofs, nfs, ncpfs,
pcmcia-cs, ppp, or isdn4kutils, but I don't have any network drives pc
cards a ppp connection or an isdn card either

All the rest of the stuff in the changes file are at or above reccommended
rev levels.

help please
if you respond by e-mail, include the word redhat or kernel or . . . in the
subject line because I get a lot of spam ie. not : Re: your problem

------------------------------

From: "Dragan Colak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How migrating Win-Favorites to Netscape-Bookmarks?
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 23:04:53 +0100

Hi Radu,

thanks for the tip, that did it.
Went to another Win machine and exportet
my Favorites with IE (File/Import and Export)
to a bookmark.html

Dragan

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Doug Angus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: RedHat 7 eth0 module problems
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 18:23:22 -0500

I've just installed RH 7 and everything seems fine except for the fact
that my ethernet connection fails.  I keep on getting "Finding module
dependencies: depmod: can't open /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/modules.dep for
writing".  I've have 2.2.16(? can't remember rest) but not 2.2.14-5.0.
Has anyone experienced anything remotely similar.

I've re-upgraded several times and downloaded different iso files.  I've
attempted to link 2.2.14.5 to 2.2.16 with no success either.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Doug

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (George Dau)
Subject: InfoMagic Linux Archives
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 22:56:14 GMT

Over the last few years, InfoMagic have released 4 or 6 CD sets
containing some Linux distributions and a copy of the sunsite archive,
amoung other things.

No sign on one this year, just the "Linux Toolbox" which contains
distributions, but no sunsite archive.

Anyone know if InfoMagic are going to release a set this year?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Debian 2.2, VT320 and screen
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 23:11:18 GMT

In article <8uueq7$otc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Thomas Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Tatu Saily <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I have a VT320 text terminal connected to my PC running Debian
GNU/Linux 2.2.
> > The problem is that if I use 'screen', the programs seem to think
that my
> > terminal supports colors. That makes some programs like 'lynx'
and 'jed'
> > look a bit strange or even unusable.
>
> programs linked with slang tend to ignore the actual capabilities of
the
> terminal (that's the first place I'd check, e.g., in case you have
$COLORTERM
> or other such stuff in your environment).
>
> --
> Thomas E. Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> http://dickey.his.com
> ftp://dickey.his.com
>

>Hello im a linux user myself im not sure but my theory on your problem
with debian is that i was reading a linux book last night and it sais
that you can have xterm or anything else like that have permanant
colors in the terminal emulator im not sure if this helps but it's
always good to talk to a fellow linux user which brings me to certain
question you use i use redhat at home but im looking to also learn
debian and use it as well i beleive to learn a distro you have to have
hands on experiance but i was wondering if you could give me a list of
all the filenames for debian linux 2.2r2 "potato" because i have a plan
to download debian and burn it on cd for a friend but i've been asking
this question to people for many months now but i hope you can be the
one to help me but if you can't that's ok so if you could email me at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED] it's up to you if
you could just send me a text file to download but make sure it's
compatible with windows because my friend is using windows me and that
way he knows, he is interested in linux and im am trying to teach him
as much stuff as i can it would be appreciated but anyway if you want
here is a tip check out certain manuals for linux or for the certain
distribution your using it helps beleive me i had problems with redhat
but now i don't.

Thank you and have a great weekend and i hope my message will help you
come one step closer to finding out how to solve your problem!! :)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux on HP workstation
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 19:21:27 GMT

In <8uuide$euf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Hi,

Hi!

>Just wondering, what would be the quickest (easiest) way to get Linux up
>and running on a HP 9000 server? I presume there aren't
>any nice distros? Does Linux work on it at all?

As already stated, there are systems which are supported, but more are
not. I don't like HPUX much, but I think it suits your needs more as
an unstable linux port. Perhaps give it a try, but don't count on it.

>The Java Development kit (as developed by HP for HPUX) is not stable
>enough for my purposes, so I'm looking at installing linux
>on the server and using Sun's JDK on it.

Then you are out of luck anyway. AFAIK, there is no JDK for PA-RISC
Linux and there will be none for some time. Remember, the virtual
machine is still OS dependend.

To get the JDK on HPUX more stable, you have to apply tons of patches,
but it really works afterwards (at least for us, YMMV).

HTH,
Uli
--
Dipl. Inf. Ulrich Teichert|e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Stormweg 24               |listening to:Something Good To Go By(The Decibels)

------------------------------

From: Michael Merideth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,linux.misc
Subject: Help me keep my Linux! Groupware solutions?
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 16:27:05 -0700

Hi all

I work for a smallish consulting group, and we're looking to deploy some
groupware solutions to enable our organization to grow.  Unfortunately,
most of the solutions we've found that do everything we need require
Microsoft clients.  Now, I try not to be a Linux/UNIX bigot here, but
I've been using Linux as my workstation OS for about four years now, and
I'm not into the idea of switching to Windows after all of that
(honestly, I was Mac before I went Linux, so I've managed to avoid
Windows for my entire career so far).

Anyone know of a groupware solution that provides:

Project management (a la MS Project)
Resource management
HRIS
Document management
Calandering
Scheduling
To-do list management
Timesheets/Billing
Contact management

and those sorts of services (or a reasonable subset thereof) with a web
interface and/or clients in both Windows and Linux?  The desired feature
list is of course much longer, but those are the core apps we're looking
for.  Basically this is competing with the idea of an Exchange/Project
or Domino/Notes or Goldmine/Exchange/Palm Enterprise type solution.  My
employer is open to the idea of opensource/*n*x based solutions (we are
a UNIX consulting company, after all), but if we gotta go Microsoft,
they're willing to mandate it.  Help me stem the inexorable tide of
Microsoft hegemony by offering your suggestions!  If you care to reply
via email (or cc: my email address when you reply) I'll be happy to
summarize for the group.

TIA

Mike

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Lilo Li... problem.
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 23:18:35 GMT

> I've got a system with a SCSI hard drive. I just added a second drive
> this time IDE.
> After tweeking my NT install, I reboot to discover I get a kernel
> panic. OK no problem, I added the hard rive to get more space for
> linux so instead of fixing the problenm and then shuffling files
> between partitions I just reinstall linux ( Mandrake 7.1) from
> scratch.
>
> When I boot I see Li appear on the bottom then nothing.
> OK, I use System Commander which was overwritten by Linux.
> I reinstall System Commander. Use an emergency boot disk to boot
> into linux. Change the boot to /dev/sda9 in lilo.conf reinstall.
> When I boot, it prints LI then freeses ( PS hard drive 9 gigs,
> last 2 gigs are an NT partition, so that I'm within 8g).
> The only clue I get is that lilo prints a warning that /dev/sda9
> is not on the first disk.
>
> Any ideas?
> ----------------Lilo file------------------------------------
> boot=/dev/sda9
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> vga=normal
> default=linux
> keytable=/boot/us.klt
> lba32
> message=/boot/message
> prompt
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-smp
>       label=linux
>       root=/dev/sda11
>       initrd=/boot/initrd-smp.img
>       read-only
> image=/boot/vmlinuz
>       label=linux-up
>       root=/dev/sda11
>       initrd=/boot/initrd.img
>       read-only
> image=/boot/vmlinuz
>       label=failsafe
>       root=/dev/sda11
>       initrd=/boot/initrd.img
>       append=" failsafe"
>       read-only
>

>Yes i know about your problem goto the mandrake site and goto the HOW-
TO section and look up lilo configuration and then it will tell you but
i think you need a line in there that sais:
lable=winnt im not sure but check the HOW-TO section on the site and
you should be covered friend that should do it!!! good luck and i hope
that you get that problem fixed soon

From: "Nate Fitch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Identd Problems
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 18:28:01 -0500

    This is a problem that plagues me during my IRC sessions.  I cannot
connect to particular irc servers (particularly EFnet servers.)  I get the
infamous (~[EMAIL PROTECTED] - please install identd) error from the
server.  I'm running RH7, using DHCP, and I've installed identd 3 again to
make sure it's there.  EFnet has been one of the most worthless irc n'works
out there lately (thanks to the script kiddies) - and the only server I can
get a connection on is irc.emory.edu, and that's usually lagged for some
reason.  Anyone with insight, your advice will be appreciated greatly, tnx.

-Nate Fitch

------------------------------

From: Henry_Barta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: LinkSys betrayed us! Poor prospects for Linux.
Date: 17 Nov 2000 23:54:10 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware Ray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If you can ping other hosts on the LAN then your net card driver is working
> properly.  You need to get your default route set properly.  Could you post
> the output of "netstat -rn" and "ifconfig".  Does your lan use dhcp?

    Don't use DHCP. This is a 'home LAN' consisting of my desktop
    and a couple laptops running Linus and a couple of Windows
    nodes.  I thought it would just be easier to assign addresses
    than set up DHCP.

    Also below find output from 'netstat -rn', ifconfig, lspci,
    'cat /proc/pci' and the appropriate lines from 'dmesg'

    (I agree that if 'ping' works, then everuything else should
    too.  After I get through with this, I'll put the old card back
    in and see if things still work.)

    thanks,
    hank

[hbarta@pswin hbarta]$ netstat -rn
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
207.229.129.252 0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH        0 0          0 ppp0
192.168.100.100 0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH        0 0          0 eth0
127.0.0.1       0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH        0 0          0 lo
192.168.100.0   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0 eth0
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U         0 0          0 lo
0.0.0.0         207.229.129.252 0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0 ppp0
[hbarta@pswin hbarta]$ /sbin/ifconfig eth0
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 45:C4:45:C4:45:C4
          inet addr:192.168.100.100  Bcast:192.168.100.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:15 Base address:0x9000

[hbarta@pswin hbarta]$ /sbin/lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 0305 (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 8305
00:07.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super] (rev 22)
00:07.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586B USB (rev 10)
00:07.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586B USB (rev 10)
00:07.4 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super ACPI] (rev 30)
00:0d.0 SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AIC-7881U
00:0f.0 Ethernet controller: Bridgecom, Inc: Unknown device 0985 (rev 11)
00:11.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. 86c968 [Vision 968 VRAM] rev 0

[hbarta@pswin hbarta]$ cat /proc/pci
PCI devices found:
  Bus  0, device   0, function  0:
    Host bridge: VIA Technologies Unknown device (rev 2).
      Vendor id=1106. Device id=305.
      Medium devsel.  Master Capable.  Latency=8.
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xd0000000 [0xd0000008].
  Bus  0, device   1, function  0:
    PCI bridge: VIA Technologies Unknown device (rev 0).
      Vendor id=1106. Device id=8305.
      Medium devsel.  Master Capable.  No bursts.  Min Gnt=4.
  Bus  0, device   7, function  0:
    ISA bridge: VIA Technologies Unknown device (rev 34).
      Vendor id=1106. Device id=686.
      Medium devsel.  Master Capable.  No bursts.
  Bus  0, device   7, function  2:
    USB Controller: VIA Technologies VT 82C586 Apollo USB (rev 16).
      Medium devsel.  IRQ 10.  Master Capable.  Latency=32.
      I/O at 0xd400 [0xd401].
  Bus  0, device   7, function  3:
    USB Controller: VIA Technologies VT 82C586 Apollo USB (rev 16).
      Medium devsel.  IRQ 10.  Master Capable.  Latency=32.
      I/O at 0xd800 [0xd801].
  Bus  0, device   7, function  4:
    Host bridge: VIA Technologies Unknown device (rev 48).
      Vendor id=1106. Device id=3057.
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.
  Bus  0, device  13, function  0:
    SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AIC-7881U (rev 0).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 15.  Master Capable.  Late
ncy=32.  Min Gnt=8.Max Lat=8.
      I/O at 0xdc00 [0xdc01].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xdd000000 [0xdd000000].
  Bus  0, device  15, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 17).
      Vendor id=1317. Device id=985.
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 15.  Master Capable.  Late
ncy=32.  Min Gnt=255.Max Lat=255.
      I/O at 0xe000 [0xe001].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xdd001000 [0xdd001000].
  Bus  0, device  17, function  0:
    VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. Vision 968 (rev 0).
      Medium devsel.  IRQ 11.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xd4000000 [0xd4000000].

[root@pswin /root]# /home/hbarta/download/linux/kernel/tulip/x/tulip-diag
tulip-diag.c:v2.04 9/26/2000 Donald Becker ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
Index #1: Found a ADMtek AL985 Centaur-P adapter at 0xe000.
 Port selection is 10mbps half duplex (Link is on)
 Transmit started, Receive started, half-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Waiting for packets'.
  The Tx process state is 'Idle'.
  The transmit threshold is 128.
 The Comet MAC registers are c445c445 ffffc445 filter 8000000000000000.
WARNING: The EEPROM is missing or erased!
 Use '-a' or '-aa' to show device registers,
     '-e' to show EEPROM contents, -ee for parsed contents,
  or '-m' or '-mm' to show MII management registers.

and finally from 'dmesg':
tulip.c:v0.92 4/17/2000  Written by Donald Becker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html
eth0: ADMtek Comet rev 17 at 0xd0049000, 45:C4:45:C4:45:C4, IRQ 15.

--
Hank Barta                            White Oak Software Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                   Predictable Systems by Design.(tm)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Date: 18 Nov 2000 00:01:26 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Charu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>There is a line in /etc/inittab to trap ctrl-alt-delete
>Now what I want is to trap this command in such a way that nothing should
>happen when I press ctrl-alt-delete.

comment out the line.
PUt in some other program other than
shutdown