Linux-Misc Digest #349, Volume #26               Sun, 19 Nov 00 18:13:01 EST

Contents:
  Re: using rdev to re-assign root fs (Scott)
  Re: Emacs and more ("Garry Knight")
  Networkcard ("Viktor Polansky")
  Re: How could I run a perl script by crontab? (Bill Unruh)
  Re: How could I run a perl script by crontab? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Sound Blaster AWE64 Value (Topaz Crow)
  Free document: Installing a Mailserver (dns,pop3,imap,ldap) on redhat (7)
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Can't see hidden dir on cdrom from linux (James Pearson)
  How should I install Linux and Win2K (dual boot) (Brando)
  RedHat 7.0 up2date ¿? ("Miguel Angel")
  usenet posting ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Emacs and more (Vilmos Soti)
  Re: usenet posting ("Jan Schaumann")
  Re: True GTK+ will eliminate Qt in next few years? (James Hutchins)
  Re: True GTK+ will eliminate Qt in next few years? (James Hutchins)
  Re: allow,deny permissions and apache (David Efflandt)
  Re: can't print in redhat 7 (David Efflandt)
  Re: Set environment variable in bsh script and effect another program. (Graham
Wilson)
  Re: Do I have framebuffer on my PC? (David Efflandt)
  Re: using rdev to re-assign root fs (Juergen Heinzl)
  Re: Identd Problems (David Efflandt)
  Re: related ppp and rpm problems (Jack Daly)
  Re: Netgear cards (David Efflandt)
  Undelete a file in Linux (Vivek Narayanamurthy)
  Re: tvcards (José Luis Domingo López)

From: Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: using rdev to re-assign root fs
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 18:22:55 GMT

In article <MPG.148104defffe6dd6989687@news>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> > In article <MPG.147fd84d79751754989686@news>, Scott wrote:
> > >The only way I can get my rh 6.2 system to boot is by using
> > >root=/dev/hda8 at the bootloader.  When I try to use rdev to re-assign
> > >the root fs from hda7 to hda8 it doesn't work.  ANyone have any ideas on
> > >what I am doing wrong here?
> > [-]
> > See /etc/lilo.conf -- you can use rdev to specify the / partition,
> > but you can override it via lilo.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Juergen

Juergen,
    I figured it out.  I edited the Lilo.conf and then gave the Lilo
command at the prompt to rebuild the bootloader.

Thanks,

Scott

------------------------------

From: "Garry Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Emacs and more
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 18:24:55 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Guðmundur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hello. I use Red Hat Linux 6.2 (Publishers Edition) and I have some
> problems.
>
> I can't find Emacs???? I've tried to use $ find / -name emacs and I've
> tried to type just $ emacs, whatever I try nothing happens.

You're not typing the $ are you? You shouldn't, as it's just your
prompt. Try entering the following: 'which emacs' and it should tell
you the full directory path to emacs. If it shows nothing, then emacs
isn't installed.

> How do I connect to an Internet Service Provider with KDE?

I assume it's KDE1 since you're using an old version of Red Hat. Look
on the K menu for something called "Internet Dialer" or Kppp - in KDE2
it's in Networking/Remote Access.

Run it and click the Setup button. Click New to add a new ISP account.
Enter the ISP's name and phone number. Leave the authentication method
set to PAP for now. On the DNS tab enter two domain name server IPs -
you can get these from your ISP; look on their website if you can't
find them any other way. On the IP tab make sure "Dynamic IP address"
is checked unless your ISP has given you a static IP address. Also make
sure that "Configure host name from this IP" is *not* checked. Click OK
to add this new account.

Click the Device tab and make sure that the Connection speed is set to
the next higher speed than your modem's speed. In other words, if it's
a 56K modem (or V.90) then select 115,200. If it's a 33K modem, select
57600. You might get away with leaving it at 115,200.

Click the Modem tab and turn your modem on if it's an external one. (If
it's internal there's an excellent chance that it won't work with Linux
and you'll have to get a new one.) Click the Query Modem button and
make sure you get a response. You might want to set the modem volume
while you're here so that you can hear it dialling out when you
connect. Click OK to shut the new account dialog and you're ready to go.

Click the Connect button and you should get connected to your ISP.
You'll get an error message if it doesn't work, or the Kppp window will
dock into the panel. You can now fire up Netscape Navigator to test
your connection. If you entered the correct DNS IPs earlier, you should
be able to get to your favourite websites.

--
Garry Knight

From: "Viktor Polansky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Networkcard
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 19:28:14 +0100

Hello group,

Iám a newbie in Linux, the system is red hat 6.2 (Zoot)

My Problem... I have a Network card D-Link DFE-503TX an how can i use ist...
pleas help me.

Yours Viktor Polansky

sorry for my bad english

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: How could I run a perl script by crontab?
Date: 19 Nov 2000 19:03:31 GMT

In <8v8hm9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Regent Linus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
PLEASE switch off the HTML newsgroup posts.
In Netscape edit->preferences->Mail and Newsgroups->formatting--> Use plain text only

>Help
>How could I run a perl script by crontab?

The same way you run any other program by crontab
0 5 * * * perl-script <arguements>
to run it at 5AM every day.
(it must start with #!/usr/bin/perl or wherever you store your perl)

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 19:03:32 GMT

Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Regent Linus wrote:

:> HelpHow could I run a perl script by crontab? thanks.

: Wierd having this in green.

Maybe you're using a recent tin (like me) in an ansi terminal (like
me)? Nah ... nobody else but me uses tin to read news!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Topaz Crow)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Sound Blaster AWE64 Value
Date: 19 Nov 2000 19:42:28 GMT

On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 09:32:10 -0500, Paul S. Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm running Red Hat 6.1 (kernel 2.2.12-20) on a Pentium II 450 system
>(with a Windows 98 partition), and I'm having trouble getting my
>Soundblaster AWE64 Value sound card to work. Here's the situation:
>
>1) I know that the card works, because it's fine under Windows.
>
>2) I ran sndconfig, and during the sound test, the card worked. My
>hardware resources appear to be assigned properly. Interrupt 5 is
>assigned to soundblaster, dma 1 to soundblaster 8, dma 5 to soundblaster
>16, io range 0220-022f to soundblaster, and 0330-0333 to MPU401-UART.

I used to run RH6.1 on a machine with an ISA SBAWE64.  When you run sndconfig
it should tell you to add (VERIFYLD N) to the top of isapnp.conf.  I know it
worked for me.  Now I use alsa which makes things a lot easier.

--
Topaz Crow -- No replies by email, sorry.
Reply to alt.anonymous.messages Subject: ATTN: Topaz Crow

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Free document: Installing a Mailserver (dns,pop3,imap,ldap) on redhat (7)
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 19:41:32 GMT

Hi,

I am quite new to linux but wrote a 30 page
document where I explain (step by step, every
commandline argument listed) how to install and
configure the email services. Newbies will also
find some basic linux knowledge there.

I would appreciate some feedback on this document
(especially from experts), as I am quite new at
linux - I originally come from the far away WinNT
world.

The document can be found in the NETIKUS GUIDES
section at www.netikus.net, the full path is
http://www.netikus.net/documents/Linux-Mailserver-
Installation.pdf

It was tested on Redhat 7, but of course also works
on other Linux versions with modifications.

Feedback would be appreciated, see the website
for an email address please.

Ingmar Koecher

From: James Pearson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't see hidden dir on cdrom from linux
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 19:47:41 GMT

In article <0mBR5.1659$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> With Windows98, a directory on a CDROM is hidden.  However, with
> Linux I can't "see" the directory at all.  Even 'ls -al' doesn't
> show it.  What's up?!?  Is this an is09660, ext2 or my system probelm?

If the CD directory has the ISO9660 hidden flag set, then try mounting
the CD with the "unhide" option. Details in the mount man page.

James Pearson

From: Brando <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: How should I install Linux and Win2K (dual boot)
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 20:01:56 GMT

I have a 6 GB HD (Laptop) and I want to dual boot Linux and Win2K. I have a fresh disk
install on so I don't have to save any data.

What's the best way to go about doing this? Which OS should I install first and how
should
I set up the partitions. I want about 2.5 GB for Windoze and 3.5 for Linux. I do have
Partition Magic.

Thanx

------------------------------

From: "Miguel Angel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RedHat 7.0 up2date ¿?
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 21:21:26 +0100

Well , My up2date RedHat app don't work , it stop at 11% of the remove of
skips packages.

I update to the latest version , but it don't work .

Some boy can help me ,please ?

Subject: usenet posting
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 20:23:54 GMT

Can anyone out there help me with posting to newsgroups?]
At the moment I am using telnet <host -- news.globe.net.nz> <port -- 119>
to post messages to newsgroups. I use tin mostly as a reader, but cannot get
posting to work.

The problem is that inews downloads the file of active newsgroups every time
I want to post to a newsgroup, and sticks it in /usr/tmp/ then sends the post
and deletes the active file. This happens to take a while with a 14k modem.

Any advice?

------------------------------

From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 20:38:21 GMT

"Guðmundur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I can't find Emacs???? I've tried to use $ find / -name emacs and I've tried
> to type just $ emacs, whatever I try nothing happens.

At your bash prompt type emacs and push tab twice. I have seen
emacs installations (I think redhat) that didn't have an emacs
command but emacs-nox and emacs-20.x.

Vilmos

------------------------------

From: "Jan Schaumann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: usenet posting
Crossposted-To: news.software.readers
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 15:45:31 -0500

* [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Can anyone out there help me with posting to newsgroups?] At the moment
> I am using telnet <host -- news.globe.net.nz> <port -- 119> to post
> messages to newsgroups. I use tin mostly as a reader, but cannot get
> posting to work.
>
> The problem is that inews downloads the file of active newsgroups every
> time  I want to post to a newsgroup, and sticks it in /usr/tmp/ then
> sends the post and deletes the active file. This happens to take a while
> with a 14k modem.
>
> Any advice?

Use the appropriate newsgroup - news.software.reders in this case, me
thinks. Xpost and fup2 accordingly.

-Jan

--
Jan Schaumann <http://www.netmeister.org>

That's weird.  It's like something out of that twilighty show about
that zone.              -- Homer Simpson

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James Hutchins)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.x,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: True GTK+ will eliminate Qt in next few years?
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 15:42:44 -0500

() wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Nov 2000 12:49:47 -0500, James Hutchins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> <snip>

> >> For that matter, why are you using GUI toolkits to do
> >> complex analyses at all?
> >

> >Good point. Because I then have to graphically display the results in
> >various charts, plots, etc. So I looked into graphics, which led to
> >windowing environments, thus to X, Qt, GTK+, and other confusions...
>
>         Displaying graphics doesn't require a GUI.
>
> [deletia]

I don't understand. You need windows and a graphics library to draw in
them, right? That means GUI, right? I will also to 3D animation, using
OpenGL. I need a GUI for that, right?

--J

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James Hutchins)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.x,comp.unix.solaris
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 15:43:53 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Hasler
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> James Hutchins writes:
> > Because I then have to graphically display the results in various charts,
> > plots, etc.
>
> The display is the display and the analysis is the analysis.  Use the best
> tool for each.  The best tool for the analysis is the one that meets your
> need for performance.  The best tool for the display is one that works well
> with whatever you choose for the analysis.

Pardon my lack of sophistication, but if I do the analysis in C++, and
expect to use OpenGL, why would another approach be better for the
graphics and? This is a sincere question.

Thanks
--J

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: allow,deny permissions and apache
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 21:35:02 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Evelio Martínez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have configured a directory with htaccess to ask for user/password and
>it works. I have a problem when I want to
>validate both IP host and user/password.
>Below you can find what I have in httpd.conf when I get the 403 error
>Forbidden You don't have permission to access /recursos on this server.
>I have made several tests, only with IP without netmask, only with the
>hostname, etc.
>
>Any idea of how to solve it?
>What did I do wrong?

Experiment with the deny/allow settings first until you get that working
and then plug in the auth.  I think deny,allow assume you are allowed
unless denied (which in your case follows it immediately) and allow,deny
assumes deny unless specifically allowed.  So I would try the following
and test to see if you are denied from elsewhere:

    Order allow,deny
    Allow from x.y.w.z/255.255.255.192

--
David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: can't print in redhat 7
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 21:48:13 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000 00:19:04 -0800, Orion Slevin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I user printtool to set up my printer correctly but when
>I try to print I get this error message:
>
>Get_local_host: 'localhost' IP address not available!
>
>I have a stand alone machine not connected to the internet
>or a network. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Do you have networking installed?  Is the first line of your /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost

Does /etc/host.conf contain:  order hosts,bind

From: Graham Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Set environment variable in bsh script and effect another program.
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 13:53:39 -0800

linux_db wrote:

> Hi,Sir,
>
> How can i set environment variable in a bsh script
> and effect another program which is not the script's
> child process?
>
> thanks.
>
> Liao.

I don't know if this will help, but did you try "export ENV_VARIABLE"
where ENV_VARIABLE is the name of the variable?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Do I have framebuffer on my PC?
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 22:03:04 +0000 (UTC)

On 17 Nov 2000 13:10:32 GMT, Andrew Purugganan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I keep reading a lot about it and would like to know if I can have it
>whatever it is, anything to improve my Linux experience
>
>I have a 233 MHz w/ a Diamond Stealth and Monster Voodoo 1 4M
>
>Would I be able to make use of it?

You should have a framebuffer capable system, if you compile the proper fb
support into your kernel.  There is likely a 'vesafb' mini HOWTO, but my
Mandrake came without the HOWTO files.  There is also something about it
in /usr/src/Documentation/svga.txt, but that may be a bit confusing.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl)
Date: 19 Nov 2000 22:13:46 GMT

In article <MPG.148104defffe6dd6989687@news>, Scott wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>> In article <MPG.147fd84d79751754989686@news>, Scott wrote:
>> >The only way I can get my rh 6.2 system to boot is by using
>> >root=/dev/hda8 at the bootloader.  When I try to use rdev to re-assign
>> >the root fs from hda7 to hda8 it doesn't work.  ANyone have any ideas on
>> >what I am doing wrong here?
>> [-]
>> See /etc/lilo.conf -- you can use rdev to specify the / partition,
>> but you can override it via lilo.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Juergen
>>
>Please explain?
>
>Do you mean edit the Lilo.conf?
[-]
Yep ::

#####
# /etc/lilo.conf
#
boot = /dev/sda
root = /dev/sda3        <--     override the kernel's idea of /
install = /boot/boot.b
linear
compact
image = /boot/vmunix
        label = vmunix
        append = "parport=0x378,7"
        vga=3

for instance (if there's a root entry at all, that is) and then
run lilo again. You can set the root device via rdev of course
and here for instance there's no entry in /etc/lilo.conf for it, but
if there's one, then the hardwired rdev setting is going to be
ignored and this might be the cause of your problem.

Cheers,
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Jürgen Heinzl         \       no flames      /
 \ EMail Private : [EMAIL PROTECTED] \ send money instead /

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Identd Problems
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 22:39:33 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000 18:28:01 -0500, Nate Fitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>    This is a problem that plagues me during my IRC sessions.  I cannot
>connect to particular irc servers (particularly EFnet servers.)  I get the
>infamous (~[EMAIL PROTECTED] - please install identd) error from the
>server.  I'm running RH7, using DHCP, and I've installed identd 3 again to
>make sure it's there.  EFnet has been one of the most worthless irc n'works
>out there lately (thanks to the script kiddies) - and the only server I can
>get a connection on is irc.emory.edu, and that's usually lagged for some
>reason.  Anyone with insight, your advice will be appreciated greatly, tnx.

If this box is connected directly to the internet, it could be caused by
one of the options -e or -o in the in.identd line your /etc/inetd.conf
file.  Since -e should only affect errors, it is possible that irc does
not like getting UNKNOWN for your OS type.  I removed both of those
options and then it works (don't forget to 'killall -HUP inetd' after
modifying that file).

If you are behind MASQ or firewall or even a router that masqurades you,
then you may need to do something else.  But it should work from the
internet connected box regardless, unless you are blocking port 113.

From: Jack Daly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: related ppp and rpm problems
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 17:55:58 -0500

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Bob Holtzman wrote:

> In article <8v44uj$l0o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> > You can sometimes get out of rpm problems by rebuilding the rpm database:
> >
> >   rpm --rebuilddb
>
> Been there, done that...no luck
>

> > Then reinstall ppp.  If you suspect the .rpm file you can check it:
> >
> >   rpm -K --nogpg --nopgp *.rpm
>
> Not familiar with -K. Neither is "man rpm" nor is Linux in a Nutshell.
> I assume *.rpm is all rpm packages in the directory. In this case it
> would be ppp-2.3.7-2.src.rpm for the specific package.
> >
> > Did your ISP change their login to chap or pap authentication?  You may
> > have to reconfigure your login.
>
> Immediately after the first ppp failure I booted W95 and connected
> successfully.
>
> This is the debug info from trying to install the package:
>

> ot@localhost SRPMS]# rpm -ivh -vv  ppp-2.3.7-2.src.rpm
> D: counting packages to install
<snip>

Seems to me you're installing the wrong package, you don't want the .src
package, unless for some reason you want to compile it yourself.  You want
ppp-2.3.7-2.rpm, usually the .src (source) files are on their own cd w/RH,
so try another cd.  Hope this helps.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Netgear cards
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 22:58:39 +0000 (UTC)

On 13 Nov 2000 03:04:44 GMT, jeff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>My FA310TX's use the Tulip driver.

But if you have a newer kernel like 2.2.16 or .17 with tulip.c newer than
v0.89H use old_tulip.

Newer tulip.c v0.91g-ppc does not work properly with my FA310TX, it won't
speak unless spooken to.  In other words "network-unreachable" until I
ping it from another box.  Not sure if there is a newer version that fixes
that, but it works with the older version.

From: Vivek Narayanamurthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Undelete a file in Linux
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 17:56:43 -0600

Is there any possible way of undeleting a file in Linux...?

Vivek

------------------------------

From: José Luis Domingo López <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: tvcards
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 19:36:49 +0000

Hi Anke Pohl:

> Hi,
>
> has someone experience using tvcards unter linux? Which progs and cards
> would you recommend?
>
> Greets, Anke

Any of the cards listed (and maybe some more not listed) in:
Documentation/video4linux/bttv/CARDLIST
from your kernel's source directory should work fine.

I have been using an Avermedia TV/Phone 98 for more than 2 years, and works
fine, with very good image quality. Even the FM tuner works with newer bttv driver
versions and kernel newers than 2.2.14.

--
José Luis Domingo López
Linux Registered User #189436     Debian GNU/Linux Potato (P166 64 MB RAM)

jdomingo EN internautas PUNTO org  => ¿ Spam ? Atente a las consecuencias
jdomingo AT internautas DOT   org  => Spam at your own risk