  Re: E-mail client (LuisMiguel Figueiredo)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: New To Linux - Distributions
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 09:02:43 GMT

Hi.

You will have a problem with your video card. This card isn;t supported
yet!, you can still use it though, you need to edit some files in order
to get X going. Under the device section you need to change the driver
it uses from vga to nv.

I recommend bying one of those IDG Dummies books, like Linux for
Dummies, I started with one, and within about 2 weeks I knew all the
directory structures and where all the init files are kept, as well as
where binary and library files are.

Mandrake is the best for a newbie, but I started with Caldera 2.3.
Mandrake was the only dist that detected all my hardware, including the
Voodoo 2 card. I now have a new PIII and I have no problem running all
the new hardware, except USB, it is supported by later kernels, but I
haven't bothered upgrading.

I use one of my linux boxes as a firewall for our 3 terminal network. I
run Debian and Windows on my main computer and slackware on the
firewall. I use windows mainly for my Web Cam, as soon as I get USB in
linux, I can ditch windows. If anyone knows how to get a Logitech
QuickCam USB going, I will be your friend forever. I realise I will need
to upgrade my kernel.

I use VMWARE, sometimes, to do windows stuff while I am in linux, mainly
for web design, 256Mb RAM will help tremendously with VMWARE, I would
say that VMWARE would run maybe a few of those games with the hardware
that you have. Directx stuff may turn around and bite you though.

Get Mandrake and use it untill you think you can move on, then get
Debian, it is the best distro, hands down.

Rauty

In article <ybiT5.13365$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am thinking about downloading and installing Linux for the first
time.  I
> am very familiar with Windows/DOS environments but from what I have
> heard/seen of Linux so far I have a feeling I am going to be pretty
lost,
> but I think I would like to try it any way.
>
> I have found huge lists of Linux Distributions, and I am not sure
which one
> to get.  Bascially I use my computer for Windows based games (such as
Red

From: "Frank Van Damme" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Ok, putting money where my mouth is...
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:10:22 +0000

In article <uZIU5.5831$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "the_blur"
<the_blur_oc@*removespamguard*hotmail.com> wrote:

> http://pages.infinit.net/outcasts/pinguinos.html

Really fine drawings. I don't know anything about art, but you sure can
hold a crayon in your hands.

One remark: Tux was never meant to be taken serious. It reflects the
character of the linux community: just a stupid picture, don't think too
much about it, it's part of the fun. Your penguinos look good, very good,
but they're too serious. Does making your penguins humorous sound like
rape?

--
Never underestimate the power of Linux-Mandrake
7.2 on an AMD K7 800 / 128.

------------------------------

From: "Tim Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: Can't mount or dd nonstandard floppy
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:47:17 +0100

// Short version: How I can specify different sector numbering & cluster
sizes when mounting a disk, like we do with block size?

Well, I'm still stuck on this, but I have to say I'm very grateful for the
response I've gotten so far.  Since my original posting, I've tried the
following:
1) I did a "dd if=/dev/fd0 of=data/temp bs=1 skip=2048", using Stefano
Ghirlanda's suggestion to skip the error.
2) I tried Anadisk 2.07 on suggestion of B'ichela.  It couldn't read the
boot sector.
3) I looked at Spinrite on John Krahn's suggestion, but immediately felt a
pain right around the wallet area.  I forgot to mention that I'm somewhat
poor.  Same problem with Norton (thanks JB).  I kind of would like to find a
solution within Linux-- I have faith that the os is flexible enough to do
this, if I can just figure out what commands to enter.  In the end, of
course, I'll try whatever works.
4) I also tried mounting them as 720K as per Doc by referring to the device
as /dev/fd0h720.  Nope.
I think I'd give up entirely, except that when I mount the disk using:
mount -t msdos -o bs=1,check=r,fat=12 /dev/fd0 floppy
It mounts and gives me a good "ls".

I'm starting to lean towards Tauno Voipio's idea that the sector numbering
is odd.  I think this because the original (now burnt to a crisp) word
processor gave the option of saving in msdos format or in proprietory
Smith-Corona format, so I imagine it could have saved both formats the same
way, just with different sector size.

I wonder how I can specify different sector numbering & cluster sizes when
mounting a disk, like we do with block size?  Then I could try out different
sizes, numbers of sectors per track, etc.

In any case, thanks to everyone who has responded so far!  After some
experience with other newsgroups, I have been amazed at how well-behaved and
willing to help everyone has been in this one. -tim

"Tim Allen, www.timallen.org" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8vtbht$fj6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
I have a stack of floppies from a (now defunct) Smith Corona wordprocessor.
A writer friend desperately needs the files on them.  I can't figure out how
to mount the floppies, or even to sucessfully dd them.  Help! My absolutely
non-techy buddy has his life's work on these floppies, and I can't let him
down.  I'm on SlackWare 4.0.
--
Tim Allen, barcelona, spain
change cold to hot to respond

From: Robert Kiesling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:02:32 GMT

"Frank Van Damme" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> In article <uZIU5.5831$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "the_blur"
> <the_blur_oc@*removespamguard*hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > http://pages.infinit.net/outcasts/pinguinos.html
>
> Really fine drawings. I don't know anything about art, but you sure can
> hold a crayon in your hands.
>
> One remark: Tux was never meant to be taken serious. It reflects the
> character of the linux community: just a stupid picture, don't think too
> much about it, it's part of the fun. Your penguinos look good, very good,
> but they're too serious. Does making your penguins humorous sound like
> rape?

No, but that's beside the point here.  The point is that criticiszing
a dumb symbol like a penguin or a daemon or whatever has nothing to do
with the OS or its development.  It's simply a bunch of greasy-fingered
cretins trying to grab part of the "action."

--
Robert Kiesling
Linux FAQ Maintainer

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 03:10:53 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: End Task Command

ps aux      that will provide a list of running programs so if u dont
know the exact name of the program u are using u can get a list of
programs that way, along with their PIDs

------------------------------

From: Michael Keller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Xircom  RealPort CardBus RBEM56G ???
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 11:13:14 +0100

Hi Cameron.

Cameron wrote:
> Can anyone tell me if Linux supports a Xircom RealPort CardBus Ethernet
> 10/100 + Modem 56 (RBEM56G-100) PCMCIA card?  I am mainly interested in
> using it with Red Hat, and also Mandrake (both are the latest versions).

I got the ethernet and also the modem of that card to work with kernel
2.2.18pre21 (debian woody), even the optional ISDN adaptor works
flawlessly in this configuration.

> If this card does work under Linux, can you help me with DETAILED
> instructions on how to configure Linux to use/work with the card, please?
> (E.g. which config files to modify, which network settings, which "adapter"
> to use, etc. etc. etc.)

With the pcmcia package delivered with debian woody the card is
recognized as soon as it is inserted, the modem is set to use the first
free ttySX.

hth & Greets
  Michael Keller
--
GCS/CC/E/IT d- s+: a- C++ UL++++/S++$ P+ L+++
E- W++ N+++ o? K? w O(++) M- V !PS !PE Y?

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Good Linux distro for older Pentium box, your take?
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 05:32:47 -0500

Robert Heller wrote:

>   "//.././" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   In a message on Mon, 27 Nov 2000 23:12:55 -0500, wrote :
>
> "> Hi,
> ">
> "> I have a Pentium 166 with 64 meg of RAM and a separate 6 gig harddisk
> "> for linux. I used to run Red Hat 6.0; the performance was good, although
> "> it pages quite a bit when GIMP and Netscape are used (especially at the
> "> same time). Recently I upgraded to Linux-Mandrake 7.2 and I noticed a
> "> performance hit, to the point of being annoying. (I also have a problem
> "> with no sound, but that's another issue).
> ">
> "> I'm thinking of switching to some (possibly older) distribution. I have
> "> couple choices: RedHat 6.1, 6.2, 7.0, or Corel Linux 2nd ed. (I don't
> "> have the RH6.0 disks anymore).
>
> Install RH 6.2.
>
> What are you using for a 'desktop'?  Gnome?  Gnome is a resource hog.
> With a P166 w/ 64meg, you would be better off with a *simple* fvwm2
> based desktop.

I run Red Hat 6.0 on a P166 w/ 64 meg with GNOME/Enlightenment for my
desktop, and I can run Netscape 4.72 on it OK. It takes 15 seconds or
so to load Netscape, but it does not do a lot of swapping. Of course,
I do not run the GIMP at the same time.

On this machine (dual 550MHz P-IIIs, 512 Meg, dual 10,000 rpm SCSI
hard drives), Netscape comes up in 1.3 seconds or so.

> Yes, you lose all of the eye-candy and whatnot, but your
> machine will thank you.  I run RH 5.2 on a Cyrix P166+ w/64Meg.  No
> problems running GIMP & Netscape *at the same time*.  GIMP grinds when I
> haul in a *big* image, but is otherwise quite usable.  I often have
> *several* Netscape windows open at the same time.  Yes, it will page if
> I get lots of stuff all at once.

I do not notice much of an increase in the amount of memory used by
Netscape as I open more windows. I have three Netscape windows open
now and it is taking 19 Megabytes, but it takes about that even with
just one window.

--
 .~.   Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                              Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: disable right mouse button in X ?
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 05:39:31 -0500

Joerg Sprankel wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have the Task to make "bulletproof" Linux Boxes for public use with
> only one Application. The users should have no rights to modify any
> Settings or execute any other Commands than the allowed one App.
> I use Redhat 7.0 with Gnome. To make it more secure, i want the users
> only to be able to use the left mouse button. Does anybody have a hint
> how to deactivate the right mouse button in X ? (Except physically
> disconnect the switch in the mouse itself...)
>
> Regards, Joerg

Cannot you achieve what you need by setting the ownership, group
ownership, etc., on the various directories, placing the users in the
correct groups, etc.?

When they login, the shell they get is the one application you want
them to have and no other. That application should be set up to have
no shell escape.

You could even have that application run in a private directory and do
a chroot(2) to keep them in that private restricted directory.

--
 .~.   Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                              Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\  Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^  5:35am up 2 days, 13:03, 2 users, load average: 2.01, 2.06,
2.02

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mouseconfig
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 05:43:06 -0500

Sepith wrote:

> does anyone know i could find out my mouse information,[i.e.if its
> ps/2,pnp what port it runs on] in windows98 so i can config it for gnome

Why not look where it plugs in? If it plugs into a ps/2 socket, it is
ps/2. If it plugs into a serial port, see which one it plugs into. If
it plugs into a USB connector, you may need to run a 2.4 kernel.

If you do not want to look at your machine, you should be able to do
it with something like Start->Control Panel->Machine Configuration...
(I am guessing here because neither of my machines is running Windows
at the moment, so I cannot check). If you play around there, you will
find it.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin Boening)
Subject: KDE2.0 - weird behaviour when viewing images with XV
Date: 28 Nov 2000 10:57:28 GMT

Hello there,

maybe someone here can help: when running KDE 2.0 on my SLakcware 7.1
(current) Linux Box with a Matrox Millennium G400 32MB DH, I have
problems viewing images using xv. The problem is that at some point
while browsing through a bunch of images (with the next-button of
the xv control centre), the image suddenly isn't redrawn properly, i.e.
the old image remains and only if the new image is larger than the
previous one, the image window will resize and data from the new image
will appear around the border of the old image. In the case of smaller
images the image window will simply resize to the smaller version,
of course.

This happens only with KDE2.0, regardless of whether I use XFree
3.3.6 or Xfree 4.0.1 (I downgraded, thinking it had to do with X
Free 4.0.1).

It does not, however, happen with fwvm95 or other window managers.
It also does not happen when running KDE 1 (to which I then reverted)
I haven't tried Gnome. (This holds true regardless of the version
of XFree86 I'm using) So my conclusion is a problem with KDE2.0 and
qt 2.2.1.

Related to that could be the strange phenomenon that, when viewiing
the set of images with KDE 2.0 kview, the image window will slowly but
surely wander further and further up on the screen until I can't get
to it's menu bar anymore.

Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone know, how to change this to
the expected behaviour?

TIA,
Martin
--
Martin Boening, MB3792    | EMail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

If a listener nods his head when you're explaining your program, wake him up.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Sherwin)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 11:20:20 GMT

Some of the electric typewriter systems used 3 1/2 inch disks, but
used one side only just like the old 5 1/4 inch single siders. I can't
remember how you specify this but I'd try mounting the disk with
_every_ floppy disk device in /dev and see what happens.

If you're getting the same error with several disks, it's very
unlikely that you have a simple floppy corruption problem. Get the
disk geometry right and you should be able to read them.

Good luck, Paul
Paul Sherwin Consulting     22 Monmouth Road, Oxford OX1 4TD, UK
Phone  +44 (0)1865 721438   http://www.psherwin.strayduck.com
Mobile +44 (0)7931 578334   mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pager  +44 (0)7666 797228

------------------------------

From: Tony Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux colors screw up SCO console
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 06:22:16 -0500

If you've ever accessed a Linux box from a SCO console,  you've
probably experienced the messed up result from Linux using color
in vi, ls, etc.

While you can do some things on the Linux side to prevent this or
set the colors to something more agreeable to SCO, there is a
simple "all or nothing" fix:

Before accessing the Linux box, run "vidi vm80x25" on the SCO
console.  This just shuts off color entirely, causing the Linux
color sequences to at worst give you bold characters.

--
Tony Lawrence ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
SCO/Linux articles, help, book reviews, tests,

------------------------------

From: Lori Holder-Webb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IDE cd burner install advice
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 14:42:36 -0600

For general information...

Last month's Maximum Linux provides a tutorial on installing and
configuring an IDE CD-R for a linux system.  Recent experience (I still
have the headache) suggests that both this article *and* the CD-Burning
HOWTO are lacking a couple of vital steps in this process.  I can't
imagine I'm the only one who encounters this problem, so here's my
Public Service Announcement.

What my problem looked like:
compiled the kernel as instructed in the article and the HOWTO,
installed the new kernel, rebooted.

The cd burner kept getting mapped to hdc.  The emulation didn't work,
the drive wasn't recognized as a SCSI device, running "cdrecord
-scanbus" yielded the information that the SCSI modules had been
installed but there didn't appear to be any SCSI devices in the system.

Since the directions dictate that part of the kernel customization
necessitates eliminating IDE/ATAPI CD support, the drive was totally
inaccessible.

What the solution turned out to be:
We had to regenerate the system map and run mkinitrd on the new kernel
version.

After this was done, everything worked fine (more or less).

This isn't the first custom kernel I've had to make, but it is the first
time that I've absolutely had to make a new system map and initrd.  I
suppose it has to do with installing new hardware, although I'm not
really sure about that.

In any event, the article and the HOWTO don't seem to include the system
map and initrd step.

------------------------------

From: Anton Dischner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Icp-Vortex 6518RS Scsi Controller, SuSE 7.0
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:43:23 +0100

Hi,

did you look at: http://sdb.suse.de/en/sdb/html/64installation_raid.html
and the references ?

Maybe it's worth a try.

kind regards,

Toni

--
ZXR750H, 55 Mm.
Q: How did the medical community come up with the term "PMS"?

------------------------------

From: Stephen Cornell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 28 Nov 2000 11:52:22 +0000

"//.././" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have a Pentium 166 with 64 meg of RAM and a separate 6 gig harddisk
> for linux.

> What would you recommend? My priorities are: stability, performance
> (with stability being slightly more important).

If you want stability, performance, and lack of bloat, try Debian
Potato.  I have it on an old P90/16M/500M that I use as a server.
Although lots of people seem to like GNOME, 64M RAM is really rather
borderline for usability.  For a desktop environment that uses less
resources, try Blackbox, Windowmaker (Nextstep clone), or Xfce (CDE
clone); you can also also slim down KDE quite a bit by editing the
startkde file.

--
Stephen Cornell          [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Tel/fax +44-1223-336644
University of Cambridge, Zoology Department, Downing Street, CAMBRIDGE CB2 3EJ

------------------------------

From: LuisMiguel Figueiredo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: E-mail client
Date: 28 Nov 2000 11:56:56 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter T. Breuer) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>LuisMiguel Figueiredo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I need a good email client for X11. What should i use? and why?
>
> xterm -e elm
>
>Because I like it.
>
>What kind of silly question is that! Use whatever you like. Keep going
>until you find one you like well enough to keep. I like elm because it
>does what I want when I want it, and I can understand the interface,
>and manipulate it at great speed.
>
>Peter

I just asked that because i don't know  any e-mail clientd beside pine...
I was just looking for suggestions based on experience,

|elmig                           |
|http://www.alunos.ipb.pt/~ee3931|
|Luis.Figueiredo AT pt.bosch.com |