From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: half life (linux) ??? some one please tell me how does it work -
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:12:08 -0500

vedanta barooah wrote:

> Glitch wrote:
> >

> > vedanta barooah wrote:
> > >
> > > hi,
> > > i downloaded a 35.5 mb tarball of half-life full version from
> > > download.com -  i have only a 28k dial-up connection and you can
> > > understand how long it took me :-( . but it does not seem to work ...(
> or
> > > i am not able to figure out how to put it to work..) i will be greatly
> > > thankfull if someone would show me how to do it. some good url would
> also
> > > be usefull.
> > >

> > and you want us to do this w/o even knowing what the problem is? You
> > must think we are very good.
> > how about providing some error messages?
>
> well,
> i dont know how to install, that stuff. (or) which file should i execute.
> :) thanx'

Well, to begin with, what is "half life (linux)"? Is it some
particular distribution of the GNU/Linux operating system?

The list of files you posted seems strange to me. Of course, I did not
download Linux; I used the Red Hat Linux 6.0 CD-ROM (now obsolete) and
it seems to me it contained a lot more files than you listed, even if
I ignore all the source RPMs and the additioal optional and evaluation
packages.

Furthermore, the presence of a .dll arouses my worst suspicions, since
Linux uses .so as the suffix for dynamically loaded libraries. .dll is
the suffix for a brain-damaged imitation used by another operating
system.

--
 .~.   Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                              Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Graham Vincent)
Subject: Re: D-Link Networkcard DEF 530TX
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 06:24:01 GMT

In article <hUlU5.14786$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "WME" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>I need the same thing for Slackware 7
>

>"Matthew Haley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <8vm8gs$cbf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> says...
>> > Help
>> >

>> > i have a D-Link DEF 530 TX, and i need a driver for Red HAt,
>> >
>> > I use 6. 2 Zooe
>>
>> insmod via-rhine

The 530 TX has the rtl8139c chip in it - use the rtl8139.o module. You may need
to select this module when you build the kernel if it is not already available
with the standard install.

Put "alias eth0 rtl8139" or similar in your conf.modules file and reboot.

Regards,

Graham

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: End Task Command
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:16:19 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> mpulliam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> > Linux is superior to Windows 98 in that you can kill and
> > restart errant programs one by one and it won't crash the
> > rest of your system or force you to restart the whole thing.
>
> Unless you kill init....
> :)

I never tried it and do not wish to, in case I succeed. Can you do a
kill -9 to it? Or does the kernel trap that and prevent you from doing
that?

--
 .~.   Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                              Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\  Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^  12:10pm up 2 days, 19:38, 2 users, load average: 2.10, 2.10,
2.07

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What RealPlayer version do u have?
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:22:59 -0500

Andrew Purugganan wrote:

> My RealPlayer (free) has expired and has been nagging me to upgrade. When
> I go check out RealPlayer Basic 8 they only have Win, Mac, and Unix
> versions. Does this mean I can grab the Unix version? I am currently on
> Mandrake 6.0 Venus with a 2.2-13mdk kernel.

valinux:root[/usr/local/Downloaded/RealNetworks]# rpm -q RealPlayer
kernel glibc
RealPlayer-7.0-1
kernel-2.2.14-VA.5.1   <---<<< VA Linux Systems version of Red Hat 6.?
glibc-2.1.3-21
valinux:root[/usr/local/Downloaded/RealNetworks]#

--
 .~.   Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                              Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\  Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^  12:20pm up 2 days, 19:48, 2 users, load average: 2.04, 2.08,
2.08

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: [Fwd: cannot connect to linux]
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:30:25 -0500

ekk wrote:

> Hello,
> I apologize for the somewhat off topic subject - I thought this would be
> more suitable in a Windows ng, but I haven't received any responses.  Let
> me know if you have any ideas:
>
> ekk wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I have a laptop with Win 98 on it.  I have it connected to a network
> > with a variety of Linux/Windows machines.  I have the network settings
> > (TCP/IP) setup exactly the same way as my other windows machines, but
> > I cannot get the laptop to access the Linux machines through network
> > neighborhood.  (It can see the Windows machines on the network.)
>
> > All the other Windows machines can see the Linux
> > machines.  I know I'm being kind of vague here, but since the setups are
> > apparently identical between the laptop and the other Windows boxes,
> > I don't know where the problem could be coming from.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated

Do you have the laptop properly defined in the /etc/exports files of
all the Linux machines?
--
 .~.   Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                              Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\  Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^  12:25pm up 2 days, 19:53, 2 users, load average: 2.02, 2.08,
2.08

------------------------------

From: Lori Holder-Webb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 11:18:13 -0600

Jean-David Beyer wrote:
> > well,
> > i dont know how to install, that stuff. (or) which file should i execute.
> > :) thanx'
>
> Well, to begin with, what is "half life (linux)"? Is it some
> particular distribution of the GNU/Linux operating system?

Isn't this the linux port of the video game "Half-Life"?  I think that's
where the .dlls must come from...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: lilo's parameters line too long
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 17:40:11 GMT

Hello,
I'm not sure whether it works, but I think I've seen it somewhere in the
docs:
try splitting the line in 2 parts, using 2 "append" parameters :

image=/vmlinuz
         label=linux
         append="smart2=0x6000 sim710=addr:0x9000,irq:11"
         append=" console=ttyS1,9600 mem=64M"
 #

Hope that works, otherwise check the lilo userguide (which is very well
done IMHO) in /usr/doc/lilo or /usr/local/doc/lilo, there should be your
answer there.

good luck

L@urent

------------------------------

From: Jim Chisholm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 13:52:13 -0400

vedanta barooah wrote:

> hi,
> i downloaded a 35.5 mb tarball of half-life full version from
> download.com -  i have only a 28k dial-up connection and you can
> understand how long it took me :-( . but it does not seem to work ...( or
> i am not able to figure out how to put it to work..) i will be greatly
> thankfull if someone would show me how to do it. some good url would also
> be usefull.
>
> i am writing down the details :
>
> list of files in the package:
> ./:
> total 70064
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          190 Jun  7 02:42 Sierra.inf
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       129636 Jul 18 05:19 cached.wad
> drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Nov 24 10:17 cl_dlls
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      1047952 Jul 18 05:19 decals.wad
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        11116 Jun  7 02:42 delta.lst
> drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Nov 24 11:40 dlls
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          506 Jun  7 02:42 game.cfg
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          266 Jun  9 22:36 liblist.gam
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          821 Jun  7 02:42 listenserver.cfg
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         1520 Jul 18 05:26 mapcycle.txt
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          240 Jul 18 05:27 motd.txt
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      4085336 Jul 18 05:19 op4ctf.wad
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         1471 Jun  7 02:42 op4ctf_credits.txt
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      5308820 Jul 18 05:20 opfor.wad
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root     61083716 Jul 20 05:27 pak0.pak
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         6296 Jun  7 02:35 pldecal.wad
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         2306 Jul 18 05:21 readme1101.txt
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          604 Jul 20 04:57 server.cfg
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        11074 Jul 18 05:20 titles.txt
>
> cl_dlls/:
> total 392
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       401408 Jul 19 22:49 client.dll
>
> dlls/:
> total 3532
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      3089566 Jul 19 22:58 opfor_i386.so
>
> thanx in advance.
> vedanta

I'm not sure what you thought you downloaded..this is the Half Life
Opposing Force *server* for linux, not any "full version" of the game.
There is no native Half Life for linux, but with some patience the
Windows  version runs great under Wine.
>From the download.com readme..

Description
     This is the complete Opposing Force Linux Server package. This
package will serve Opposing Force deathmatch, teamplay, and
     CTF games. It includes all the resources necessary to run an
Opposing Force (Op For) Linux server (even if Op For is not installed
     on your Linux box).

     Half-Life: Opposing Force is the official game expansion for
Half-Life, the PC CD-ROM named "Game of the Year" by several
     publications. In Opposing Force, players return to the Black Mesa
Research Facility to experience an entirely new episode of
     single-player action. In addition, Op For contains a massive
collection of new multiplayer content.
Did you read the included .txt files ??

Jim

Jim Chisholm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Dalhousie University, Dept. Physics Halifax N.S. Canada
Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency Service
Captain & Training Officer  Bay Road Station 59

From: Sven Mascheck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: starting ssh-agent as parent of X session for SSH
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 28 Nov 2000 18:56:05 +0100

doug reeder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 > I have SSH up and running on some systems, but I would like to
 > have ssh-agent run as the parent of X, so that ssh-agent can
 > handle the user's keys.

I never tried (usually start X11 from commandline) but bookmarked this:
<URL:http://www.ntrnet.net/~jmknoble/software/x11-ssh-askpass/>
You'll find screenshots there.
I don't know if(/why) it really only runs with OpenSSH.

"x11-ssh-askpass is a lightweight passphrase dialog for OpenSSH or
 other open variants of SSH. [...]
 x11-ssh-askpass uses only the stock X11 libraries (libX11, libXt)
 for its user interface."

f'up!
Sven

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 17:57:08 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm not sure whether it works, but I think I've seen it somewhere in the
> docs:
> try splitting the line in 2 parts, using 2 "append" parameters :

> image=/vmlinuz
>          label=linux
>          append="smart2=0x6000 sim710=addr:0x9000,irq:11"
>        append=" console=ttyS1,9600 mem=64M"
>  #

> Hope that works, otherwise check the lilo userguide (which is very well
> done IMHO) in /usr/doc/lilo or /usr/local/doc/lilo, there should be your
> answer there.

> good luck

> L@urent

Another possibility is using GRUB instead of LILO.  It might not suffer
fromt he same problem.

Adam

------------------------------

From: "Anthony" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Behind socks5] Check if a host is up
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 01:59:31 +0800

I need to run a script (from cron) to check if the remote smtp server is
up, so I can tell Postfix to deliver queued emails.  I am using a simple
script to send 3 ping to the smtp server.  This works well with packet
filter, but fail with socks proxy.  The reason are:

1) "runsocks ping -c 3 $SMTP" will not work, socks doesn't do ICMP?

2) s5ping can go through the proxy, but it will ping forever.  I am
seeing s5ping "asking" the proxy to start ping there instead.  Besides,
s5ping won't take any arguments other than a hostname.

3) I have tried nmap to do ping, but for the same reason as in 1), it
cannot go through the proxy.

Any suggestions or any other good way to tell if a server is up?

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 13:01:47 -0500

check if the other computers on the network are usin clear text passwords
first.
NT sp3 onwards uses encrypted passwords. there is areg file that makes it
send clear text passwords.

Afew things to elabotrate on:
1- Does the linux machine show up on your network neighbourhood?
2- When you say that you can't access the linux computer, do you mean that
you can't see any shares, or that you select a share and it denies access?

3) Your Workgroup name ? Does it match?
4) Do you have TCP IP stack installed? Can you ping the linux computer's ip
address?

hth

From: ekk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:59:03 -0500

Thank you for your reply,
Do you mean /etc/hosts?  It is properly defined there.  I only have information
about the local devices in /etc/exports.
Ken

------------------------------

From: "the_blur" <the_blur_oc@*removespamguard*hotmail.com>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Ok, putting money where my mouth is...
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 13:11:47 -0500

> No, but that's beside the point here.  The point is that criticiszing
> a dumb symbol like a penguin or a daemon or whatever has nothing to do
> with the OS or its development.  It's simply a bunch of greasy-fingered
> cretins trying to grab part of the "action."

Hi Bob, make sure you mention to the KDE and GNOME GUI teams that you think
of them as greasy-fingered cretins.

Interesting that you chose to refer to it as a dumb symbol. If it symbolizes
linux as a whole, linux is dumb (and glassy eyed...from recompiling kernels
so may times no doubt =). You get it?

Dumb symbol = Dumb project = Dumb OS = Dumb people. You're probably just not
familiar enough with snooty design principles which I have studied at length
to understand why it's important for the linux symbol to represent freedom,
hard volunteer work, cooperation, stability and growth. I do. That's why
it's important that people not see linux as a stupid penguin with a glassy
look on his face.

I wasn't criticizing the little BSD daemon, he's really cute. Tux isn't. Tux
has a dead glassy/insane look about him that makes me rather uneasy.

If it were up to people like you, I'm guessing linux would never have had a
GUI and would've remained exclusively the OS of servers and a ridiculously
grand calculator for running scientific calculations... Others have
different, loftier goals for this OS. I didn't just bitch that the logos
sucked, I'm redoing them.

I like the fact that it's free, and I want to contribute in the way I know
how. Part of this is by leveling harsh criticism at what sucks. The current
design of most distros, sucks. So I say we get more people like me and fix
them.

If you're too blinded by your loyalty to Linux, that's fine, but excuse
yourself from the effort until you can acknowledge the flaws in the OS and
are willing to put in some of your own time to fix them.

Every part of the Human-machine interface is important, maybe people like
you will never understand, because you're used to being a slave of the
machine...Being able to program BASH scripts like no one else doesn't mean
you've mastered IT...it means IT's mastered YOU. You probably won't
understand this, but in HID (Human Interface Design) we take it as a given.

But hey, what do I know, I'm just a cretin trying to grab a piece of the
action.

Fred.

------------------------------

From: ekk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 13:07:20 -0500

Thank you for your reply,
How do you check if the computers are using clear text passwords?

To answer your questions -
1. Yes.  The linux machine shows up in the 'hood.
2.  When I select the linux machine (not the share), it asks me for the
password and it then denies access due to incorrect password.  This is making
me think that it is a problem with encrypted passwords now that you mention it.

3.  Yes, the workgroup name matches.
4.  I am using TCP/IP.  If I knew how to Ping from windows, I'm assuming
I would be able to Ping, because of my answer to #2.

Ken

From: Robert Kiesling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 18:28:50 GMT

"the_blur" <the_blur_oc@*removespamguard*hotmail.com> writes:

> > No, but that's beside the point here.  The point is that criticiszing
> > a dumb symbol like a penguin or a daemon or whatever has nothing to do
> > with the OS or its development.  It's simply a bunch of greasy-fingered
> > cretins trying to grab part of the "action."
>
> Hi Bob, make sure you mention to the KDE and GNOME GUI teams that you think
> of them as greasy-fingered cretins.
>
> Interesting that you chose to refer to it as a dumb symbol. If it symbolizes
> linux as a whole, linux is dumb (and glassy eyed...from recompiling kernels
> so may times no doubt =). You get it?
>
> Dumb symbol = Dumb project = Dumb OS = Dumb people. You're probably just not
> familiar enough with snooty design principles which I have studied at length
> to understand why it's important for the linux symbol to represent freedom,
> hard volunteer work, cooperation, stability and growth. I do. That's why
> it's important that people not see linux as a stupid penguin with a glassy
> look on his face.
>
> I wasn't criticizing the little BSD daemon, he's really cute. Tux isn't. Tux
> has a dead glassy/insane look about him that makes me rather uneasy.
>
> If it were up to people like you, I'm guessing linux would never have had a
> GUI and would've remained exclusively the OS of servers and a ridiculously
> grand calculator for running scientific calculations... Others have
> different, loftier goals for this OS. I didn't just bitch that the logos
> sucked, I'm redoing them.
>
> I like the fact that it's free, and I want to contribute in the way I know
> how. Part of this is by leveling harsh criticism at what sucks. The current
> design of most distros, sucks. So I say we get more people like me and fix
> them.
>
> If you're too blinded by your loyalty to Linux, that's fine, but excuse
> yourself from the effort until you can acknowledge the flaws in the OS and
> are willing to put in some of your own time to fix them.
>
> Every part of the Human-machine interface is important, maybe people like
> you will never understand, because you're used to being a slave of the
> machine...Being able to program BASH scripts like no one else doesn't mean
> you've mastered IT...it means IT's mastered YOU. You probably won't
> understand this, but in HID (Human Interface Design) we take it as a given.
>
> But hey, what do I know, I'm just a cretin trying to grab a piece of the
> action.
>
> Fred.

Great, Fred.  So instead of "improving" the operating system, I
can waste time reading your message.  I don't particularly give
a good goddamn either, what the KDE or GNOME projects' perspective
is about the penguin.  AFAIK, they simply went ahead and devised
their own logos, which is just fine with me.  Linux is the work
of the people who wrote it, and so is KDE, GNOME, etc., ad
infinitum, not yours...., and I could almost guarantee you that
they don't care what you think.  But I don't speak for them, as
you've presumed to do here.

--
Robert Kiesling
Linux FAQ Maintainer

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Have you seen this problem ?
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 18:16:33 GMT

Hello:
I have a loadable driver for a RedHat 7.0. I have noticed that _all_
task structures have a NULL struct mm pointer in them. This NULL pointer
causes pgd_offset() calls to crash. Any idea why this pointer is not
initialized ? I run  the same driver on older Linux with no problem.
Any suggestions will be of great help at this time.
- Ben