From: Sebastian Hans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: disable right mouse button in X ?
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:16:46 +0100

Joerg wrote:

> Stefano Ghirlanda wrote:
>

> > X must be running, of course, before netscape can be started.
> > Have you tried something like:
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> > startx
> > exec netscape
>
> Yes, I tried that. But it didnīt work, unfortunately. It simply started X with
> Gnome and nothing else was launched.

Try this:

#!/bin/bash
startx &
exec netscape

Note the ampersand.

HTH
seb

--
   -------------------=====#####OOOOOOOO#####=====----c---c----------
sebastian hans - [EMAIL PROTECTED]      `\O/'  don't panic

------------------------------

From: Sebastian Hans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "cannot route to sender..." Why??
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:19:10 +0100

GYULAI Mihaly wrote:

> After I changed my ISP, I can't send messages with SMTP!
>
> I use 'sendmail' and previously it worked.
> (Of course I changed the appropriate ISP-specific data in sendmail.cf .)
>
> Now I receive the following messages:
>
>   "cannot route to sender my_login_name@my_machine_name"
>
> I don't know what it means... :(

Did you do something with smarthost?

seb

From: Sebastian Hans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: login problems
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:24:59 +0100

Greg Varnadoe wrote:

> I cannot login as root on my Linux box at home
> (redhat 6.1  2.2.13 kernel)
>
> If I try to login as root the console clears back to the login prompt. I
> can login using my user login and password, but I cannot su (incorrect
> password).
>
> If I clear the root password (single user mode, edit /etc/passwd), when I
> try to login as root I am still prompted for the root password.

Are you sure you don't have shadow passwords enabled? If so, you'll have
to delete the password in /etc/shadow.

HTH
seb

From: Sepith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mouse is jumpy in X
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 07:30:06 -0000

hi
i installed dragon linux a few days ago and the setup went pretty well,
except for my mouse,the mouse seems to work well outside of X
but when i load X up and i move the mouse left,the pointer jumps right
does anyone know why it does that and some possibilities to correct this
any help is welcomed and thanked,

thanks for your time

From: "Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PLAYSTATION2-Huge Savings Worldwide!
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 18:28:49 +1100

Marian Vittek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Star office accesses my hard drive every few seconds!?
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:20:02 GMT

Interesting answers. I have 128 megs of RAM and I eliminated swap and
it still does this. I don't have Motif, as far as I know (no ldd on my
system to check it out). I tried STAR_SPOOL_DIR=/tmp too. It's so
annoying to have a program access your hard drive every few seconds
without even touching the mouse or keyboard,  or without your
permission. I sometimes run into this problem with new linux
distributions which have all kinds of crazy things run behind your
back automatically.

A somewhat related question, is there a way to trace what
application is accessing a hard drive at any given moment?

-Tony

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: passwd protect runlevel 1
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:26:59 +0100

Lew Pitcher wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:43:58 +0100, Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Hi there,
> >
> >I'm running RH6.2, pretty default install.
> >Now when I boot in runlevel 1, root access is achieved, without asking
> >for the root password. I'd like to have the person that tries a runlevel
> >1 boot to be asked for the root password. I know that this doesn't
> >secure my system at all, but it makes sure that some of the
> >semi-linux-pro's running around here are denied access when trying this.
> >I know it's possible (I believe SuSE has passwds enabled here) but I
> >can't find what I need to change to get this going.
>
> man 8 sulogin
>
> Use sulogin rather than getty for the one (and only) terminal started
> in runlevel 1. This will require /etc/inittab changes.

Still at a loss, can't seem to get it to work.
I added the following to /etc/inittab

7:1:respawn:/sbin/sulogin -p tty1

but that didn't help. It starts sulogin, (when I run `init 1` from the
console)
but doesn't really wait for a password. I get dropped to a shell after a
few seconds.

Any idea why?

Eric

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mouse is jumpy in X
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:29:23 +0100

Sepith wrote:

> hi
> i installed dragon linux a few days ago and the setup went pretty well,
> except for my mouse,the mouse seems to work well outside of X
> but when i load X up and i move the mouse left,the pointer jumps right
> does anyone know why it does that and some possibilities to correct this
> any help is welcomed and thanked,
>
> thanks for your time

I assume you have a MS intellimouse? If so, do the following:

Alter XF86Config manually (probably in /etc or /etc/X11)
change the pointer protocol from PS/2 to IMPS/2

Eric

------------------------------

From: Stefano Ghirlanda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,linux.redhat,linux.sources.kernel
Subject: Re: Kernel parameters
Date: 30 Nov 2000 09:44:42 +0100

"Nils Magnus Eide Englund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > You can set where the kern.* messages go in syslog.conf, see man
> > syslogd. No kernel parameters needed.
>
> Well... I've managed the syslogd part, but I still don't know
> how to hide the kernel messages at bootup, before the root fs
> is mounted. Any ideas?

I don't know how to do that, but why do you need it? Just curious.

--
Stefano

------------------------------

From: "Dr. Sato" <"dr.sato(nospamplease)"@home.nl>
Subject: Wheel mouse
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:47:07 +0100

OKay, this might have been asked before but.

Somethings do puzzle me.

At home I have the same configuration as at my work place.

At Home my wheel mouse works perfectly
At work it doesn't

I didn't do anything different at home or at work.

Same Moouse, Same PC, same Distri
It on a Mandrake 2.2.17 system.

Does anyone care to show me how to do it so I can understand waht I
doing???

Thanks in advance,

--
Dr. Sato
---

------------------------------

From: "Dave Freeman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux Mandrake 7.2 Video
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:04:47 -0000

A few months ago I installed Mandrake 7.1 without any problems whatsoever.
Just last night I installed 7.2 but now the video settings seem wrong.
Vertical lines seem distorted etc.  I had a look in drakconf and hardrak and
it seems like my monitor and graphics card have not been detected properly.
After correctly setting the graphics card (but couldn't find a driver for
the monitor so I chose a standard SVGA) I chose a different graphics
resolution but still no joy.  It seems the only time things are okay is if I
choose a low colour depth.

I have a ADI Provista E55 monitor and a matrox mystique (standard) video
card.  Linux is running on an AMD K6-2 500.

Has anyone else had any problems with this ?

------------------------------

From: "William Pelish" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: COREL LINUX SECOND EDITION
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:02:12 -0500

I know how to answer this........First do you have a Windows Startup disk?
If so boot to that. It will give some options take the one with cd rom
support. then it should take you to a dos prompt and if I am correct linux
is installed in a directory called cdl
you should the do this
c:\ cd\cdl
c:\cdl startcdl
it will then boot into corel
That is how I used it so far. However I am curious if you have found any
bugs on it yet.

Will
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "William Pelish" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Corel Linux VS Redhat 7
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:05:56 -0500

I wish to know if anyone here has used Corel Linux Deluxe and if you have
found any bugs. Also if you have also tried RH 7 and found any difference
between the too. I am trying to decide which one to use for a server for my
webhosting.

Will

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Ok, putting money where my mouth is...
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:11:12 -0500

the_blur wrote:

> > Exactly.  He was saying the the whole system is crap based
> > on the splash screen.
>
> I most certainly was not! I loved Mandrake! That's why I hated the fact that
> the design was crappy! Everything else is good! I never said the system

Then replace the damned file and be done with it.

Geeze.

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer

    you are lazy, stupid people"

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   direction that she doesn't like.

   ...despite (C) above.

   her behavior improves.

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: Alexander Borghgraef <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: At and batch
Date: 30 Nov 2000 09:15:34 GMT

Stefano Ghirlanda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Alexander Borghgraef <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>>   at -f batchfile -m 15.45
>>
>> works, and
>>
>>   batch -f batchfile -m 15.45
>>
>> does not.

> From the manual page:

>  batch   executes commands when system load levels  permit;
>          in  other words, when the load average drops below
>          0.8, or the value specified in the  invocation  of
>          atrun.
> Is your load level below 0.8?
> Or maybe atrun is invoked with some stupid value (or the default value
> is stupid :-)

  batch -f batchfile -m 15.45
 parse error. Last token seen: 15
 Garbled time

 I don't think load level even comes into play here. Batch doesn't even
run this way, but I can't see where I might be violating the syntax.

--
Alex

------------------------------

From: "Tauno Voipio" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to calculate space in bytes of a dir???
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:48:05 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:903bba$48k$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hi,
>
> I have a Linux RH6.2 and my root partition (/) have become
> full (100% used) rapidly. I use Squid and QMail into this
> server and I suspect one of these is the responsable for
> my full partition.
>
> Then, I would like to know if there is some command from
> Linux that allows to calculate all space used for each
> directory. After this, it is possible to know who is the
> "byte-eater" of my system.

You already have received answers for using du.

The disk-eater is squid. It creates hundreds of directories and plenty of
files into each for its cache. If you do not *really* need it, get rid of
it.

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio @ iki fi

------------------------------

From: "Tauno Voipio" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Memory leak
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:57:16 GMT

"Pim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 12:39:48 GMT, "Tauno Voipio"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> >"Pim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >>
> >> I've got a memory leak somewhere in my system. There are no user
> >> programs that show abnormal memory usage. The problem are the buffers.
> >> A sample output of vmstat 60 is:
> >>

> >This begins to be a FAQ:
> >
> >There is *no* memory leak - the kernel functions prefectly normally.
> >
> >There is no sense for the kernel to keep some RAM totally unused. So, if
> >there is no other sensible use, the system keeps disk buffer cache in RAM
> >for as much as there is space. The cache speeds up disk accesses if the
> >accesses are for sectors already in RAM. The kernel kicks extra sectors
out
> >of the cache as soon as there is some better use for the RAM space.
> >
> >Tauno Voipio
> >tauno voipio @ iki fi
> >

> I know that. I am not talking about cache, but about buffers. The
> system crashes after some weeks, and there are only not-abnormal
> processes running: sendmail, apache and bind.

The buffers together *are* the buffer cache I was talking about.
AFAIK, the 2.4 kernels are not yet too stable. Try a 2.2.<even> kernel
instead. I have experience of 2.2.12 and 2.2.14 and both have not shown any
memory problems whatsoever.

Tauno Voipio
tauni voipio @ iki fi

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Blake)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Full screen PDF viewer (SKG)
Date: 30 Nov 2000 03:05:42 GMT

Georg Skillas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I an trying to do the same and I have few questions. First is
> there anyway to persuade acroread to display landscape pages?
> Alternatively is there a PDF viewer (like ghostview?) that
> will allow for full-screen viewing of a PDF?

Acroread is not really suitable for laptop presentations. It
does not preload the next page into memory to make the
page-to-page transition instantaneously. Something like
magicpoint can display pdf's and ps through ghostscript, as
well as any other image type. Next pages are preloaded, font
anti-aliasing is included...

> Another question: PS files, incorporating coloured graphs by
> gnuplot, converted with ghostscript (ps2pdf), seem to render
> ok with acroread, except the graph colours are messed up.
> Viewing the same file with Ghostscript (as a PDF) produces the
> same colours as the PS. Is there any solution? Who is the bad
> guy?

I convert my postscript plots to 800x600 pngs, with
anti-aliasing, and they generally take 24kbytes of memory or
so. The presentation is thus quite snappy. Email me if you want
more details on how this can be done, I can send sample
postscript slides and some instructions.

--
Dave Blake

From: Marco BANO <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Iozone disk I/O performance tool
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 11:55:22 +0100

Anybody have a link to some useful documents
explaining the meaning of iozone tests and results.

thanks in advance