From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jean-Yves Simon)
Subject: Re: problem with tcsh and bksp key
Date: 1 Dec 2000 23:45:30 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Sven Mascheck wrote:
: Jean-Yves Simon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

:  > I have stty erase ^H in mt tcshrc file.

: Generally you should better start with 'stty erase <ctrl-v><"erase"-key>'
: - and you haven't explained your motivation.

Hi,
This is exactly what I did : stty erase <ctrl-v><bksp key>
and not stty <shift-6><H>. What do you mean by motivation ?

:  > In this case, uder ftp or some other softs, the bksp doesn't work
:  > and echo ^?. But if type in the cli stty sane, I get the bksp to work.

: Compare the output of 'stty -a' after that with the very beginning.

I shall do that and post it here.

:  > Now, if I enter X, everything is bad again. I have found
:  > that if an X window, I type stty erase ^H , it works.

: An X window or xterm in particular?
: This also depends on your xmodmap (see xmodmap -pke in connection with xev).

You are right, I meant xterm, sorry for the lack of precision.
I will try this modmap thing.

:  > So, one thing I don't understand, is why when I have an
:  > stty erase ^H in my tcshrc , I can't see it anymore when
:  > I enter X.

: console and X11 are completely different. You have to fix or adjust
: it two times at worst.

Ouch !

: Sven

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Backup Hard Drive...
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 00:53:08 +0100

Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I never liked tar for backups. Perhaps that was because when I was at
> Bell Labs, we replaced tar with cpio as a much better approach. We
> were astonished that the rest of the world preferred tar. So I just do

The reason is that cpio has incomprehensible options .. and an
incomprehensible operating mode. And I speak as one who does not
comprehend it (the best I did with it was use it to de-rpm rpms).
In contrast, tar is simple: tar czvf foo.tgz "list of files and dirs".

> not do it.

> On this machine, with a DDS-2 tape drive on an SCSI controller all its
> own, I use the BRU package. AFAIK, its only advantages over cpio are:

> 1.) it does an automatic readback and verification of the checksum of
> each backup tape (and it asks for more tape if necessary).

Hmm .. I run streams to tar and checksum the input and output at
both sides of the stream (err, let me rephrase: the stream
is produced at one end and md5summed as it goes into the pipe;
at the other end it's checksummed again).

> 2.) it can make an OBDR tape. OBDR is "One Button Disaster Recovery."
> The controller for the tape drive can masquerade as a CD-ROM
> controller and you can boot the system from such a tape. So when
> disaster strikes and you must replace your hard drive(s), you do that,

Haven't seen those things since the days of my Sun 360!

> stick your OBDR tape into the drive and reset the machine in the
> proper way, and the system will format your new hard drive(s)
> (presumed to be at least as large as your old ones), restore all your
> files, and everything else (such as everything in /dev), and off you
> go.

Sounds useful.

Subject: Re: Mount mysteries / Netware vs.
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Gog)
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 00:23:58 GMT

On November 30 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (ljb) wrote:

> Netware's Unix roots??? I can't think of anything that would make
> me think so. Examples?

Well, you put me on the spot here, because normally I notice the
similarities when I spot 'em in day to day Netware administration.
There are some NLMs that share the same name as corresponding *nix
programs (CRON comes to mind, although I think that was developed by a
Novell consulting partner).

I seem to recall reading a long time ago that Netware (especially in its
early days) was developed from a Unix-type OS.  In fact, in version 2.x,
one had to actually build (read "compile") the OS based on the drivers
needed for the server AND the clients you would be using.

One of their earliest secondary products was Unixware (sold to SCO, now
owned by Caldera, which was founded by--guess who--Ray Noorda, founder
of Novell).

Now Netware 5.x is actually running a version of X windows on the server
to run the abominable Console 1.

But, actually, it would be hard not to see some similarities.  After
all, Unix was there first; anyone developing a network OS, particularly
in the early 1980's, would have to be influenced by it.

Perhaps a bit of a stretch, but I always am taken by similarities
between the different and differences between the similar.

--
 John Gog  (Delete REMOVE to e-mail)
 Advanced Systems Design

------------------------------

From: Luca de Alfaro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: loss of streaming with cdrecord: what about the buffer??
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 16:26:59 -0800

I am using cdrecord to burn data CDs from my laptop.
I am using the HP 9600se CDRW, that has an internal buffer of 4MB.
When I tested cdrecord in -dummy mode at speed = 8, it reported a
"loss of streaming" error, which I attributed to a missed SCSI
delivery to the CDRW.  But why does cdrecord consider this momentary
loss of streaming a fatal error?  The CDRW has an internal buffer, so
it's shouldn't be a big deal to lose streaming, provided the CDRW
buffer is not allowed to get empty, right?

Or is the problem that cdrecord knows nothing about internal CDRW
buffers?  Many thanks,

Luca

de alfaro @ eecs dot berkeley dot edu

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Post)
Subject: Re: Can't ftp to Linux box from windows ftp client - SOLVED
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 00:28:18 GMT

On Fri, 01 Dec 2000 15:11:10 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I think I see what the problem is here, but I am unsure how to create a
>workaround.  When the client tries to set up the ftp session it makes
>it in fine, but when the linux box turns around and replies, it uses
>its internal ip address, which doesn't mean anything on the internet,
>since its a 192.168.0.xxx number.  What would be nice is if the
>firewall would reply back with its own ip address in the response and
>then translate it accordingly.

Do you have the ip_masq_ftp.o module loaded on your firewall?  This pretty
much sounds like what it's designed to do.

Mark Post

Postmodern Consulting
Information Technology and Systems Management Consulting
To send me email, replace 'nospam' with 'home'.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (ljb)
Subject: Re: Help config standalone INN
Date: 2 Dec 2000 01:04:19 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>After installing Inn-2.2.2 on Redhat 6.2 , trying to configure it for a
>simple standalone isolated newsgroup server is another matter.  I can
>start it,  and create groups, and post messages,  but they expire after
>about 7 days. I'm reading the expire man pages to try to figure that
>out.  Does anyone have some general tips for this "simple" type of
>configuration. Do I have to worry about the "database" or other overhead
>stuff. All I want is to be able to post messages and they should never
>expire.
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have some notes which say that to get INN to never expire messages,
put something like this in the "expire.ctl" file:
       *:A:never:never:never

------------------------------

From: "T.P Harte" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: sci.math,sci.math.num-analysis
Subject: JOB: low-level code optimizing
Date: 2 Dec 2000 01:12:41 GMT

Open requisition #16197: Senior Software Engineer

The KLA-Tencor Algorithms Group in Milpitas, California, is offering a
Senior Software Engineer post to:

        -  optimize C/C++ to advanced algorithm design specifications
           for execution on a multi-processor architecture

        -  develop algorithm benchmarks in low-level C/C++ for
           image processing/advanced algorithm applications

The successful candidate will enjoy the challenge of developing
low-level, optimized advanced algorithm code in a time-critical
environment and with cutting-edge computer architectures. MS/PhD in
computer engineering, EE or related discipline. Minimum 2 years
experience of C/C++ in an image processing or advanced algorithm
environment. The candidate should have a strong interest in UNIX systems.

Applicants must be resident in the United States or must hold United States
residency visa status.

Contact: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: one mount point, two file systems
Date: 2 Dec 2000 01:18:17 GMT

On Fri, 01 Dec 2000 20:42:35 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Running linux, I was wondering if you could mount two file systems onto
>one mount point.

No.  Every filesystem has a root directory, and mounting a filesystem
grafts the root directory of that filesystem onto the directory tree at
/mnt/mountpoint.  So, if you had mounted 2 filesystems to the same mount
point at the same time, there'd be an incongruity--does /mnt/mountpoint/
refer to the root dir of filesystem#1, or filesystem#2 ?

Mounting filesystems on directories that already have files in them can
certainly be done.  All the files originally in the directory will be
hidden and inaccessible unless they were open before the filesystem got
mounted.

You can mount things on things that are already mounted.  For example,
here I have / on /dev/hdb1, /usr on /dev/hdb9, and /usr/local on
/dev/hdb6.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: Wayne Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Extracting Files from a Linux Tape on a Broken Linux
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 17:45:25 -0800

I have two computers. One is a 386 with a tape drive, Win 3.1 and a broken Linux.
Years ago I
created a tar file on tape of some Linux files and directories. the partition with
those files does
exist, but neverheless they are on tape.  The files are C,  perl and txt. On another
computer, a
Pentium 2 machine, I have NT 4.0 and a tape drive, but no Linux. I'd like to extract
the files from
the tape on the Win NT 4.0 machine and put them on that machine. Does anyone know of a
program that
might do this for me? I actually wrote a C program that would do something like this,
but I believe
it is on the broken Linux partition that won't allow me to boot up Linux on the 386.

--
                              "It's better to wear out than rust out"
                                 -- Theodore Roosevelt, 26th U.S. President

                                            Wayne T. Watson

------------------------------

From: Matt O'Toole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Good Linux distro for older Pentium box, your take?
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 01:48:08 GMT

Dan Amborn wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Nov 2000 23:12:55 -0500, "//.././"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have a Pentium 166 with 64 meg of RAM and a separate 6 gig harddisk
> >for linux. I used to run Red Hat 6.0; the performance was good, although
> >it pages quite a bit when GIMP and Netscape are used (especially at the
> >same time). Recently I upgraded to Linux-Mandrake 7.2 and I noticed a
> >performance hit, to the point of being annoying. (I also have a problem
> >with no sound, but that's another issue).
> >
> >I'm thinking of switching to some (possibly older) distribution. I have
> >couple choices: RedHat 6.1, 6.2, 7.0, or Corel Linux 2nd ed. (I don't
> >have the RH6.0 disks anymore).
> >
> >What would you recommend? My priorities are: stability, performance
> >(with stability being slightly more important).
> >
> >TIA
>

> I would run Slackware 7.1.  Its pretty fast for a newer distribution.
> Is doesn't have hardly any bloat which is nice.  Other than that there
> is Redhat 6.2 which is pretty stable but definately slower than
> Slackware.

I run systems similar to the above.  I don't think there's much difference
in speed between distributions per se, if you're comparing like apps.
Linux is Linux, after all.  Mandrake is compiled for a Pentium I instead of
a 486, and supposedly, some apps are faster this way; but even then I don't
think it could be a lot of difference.  Of course, the biggest impact on
system performance is how much RAM you have, particularly that you have
enough to run all your applications without swapping.  Aside from shutting
down all the daemons and services you don't need, you can prevent swapping
by running a really lightweight window manager like IceWM.  I like Mandrake
because it has neat graphical tools to make system administration really
easy.  It's all point and click.  With other, "simpler" distributions,
these things are more cryptic, and thus you'll wind up not optimizing them.
Though a lot of these tools are memory-hungry KDE based, once your system
is set up you can run Ice instead.  In summary, you'll run faster if you
*run* as little as possible.  Having all kinds of gunk sitting idly on your
hard drive doesn't hurt a bit.  It's what's running that counts.

Matt O.

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 21:36:04 -0500

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I never liked tar for backups. Perhaps that was because when I was at
> > Bell Labs, we replaced tar with cpio as a much better approach. We
> > were astonished that the rest of the world preferred tar. So I just do
>
> The reason is that cpio has incomprehensible options .. and an
> incomprehensible operating mode. And I speak as one who does not
> comprehend it (the best I did with it was use it to de-rpm rpms).

I admit it drives me crazy if I want to do something new; the manual
page is apalling! But I have figured out how to use it for what I need
and ignore the rest.

> In contrast, tar is simple: tar czvf foo.tgz "list of files and dirs".

find whatever | cpio --create -a --io-size=$IO_SIZE --format=crc -O
$OUTPUT_DEVICE

will do it where IO_SIZE is the size in bytes of the blocks you want
cpio to use (and, depending on the output device, it is ignored), and
OUTPUT_DEVICE is something like /dev/nst0.

> > not do it.
>
> > On this machine, with a DDS-2 tape drive on an SCSI controller all its
> > own, I use the BRU package. AFAIK, its only advantages over cpio are:
>
> > 1.) it does an automatic readback and verification of the checksum of
> > each backup tape (and it asks for more tape if necessary).
>
> Hmm .. I run streams to tar and checksum the input and output at
> both sides of the stream (err, let me rephrase: the stream
> is produced at one end and md5summed as it goes into the pipe;
> at the other end it's checksummed again).

I did not say this was a compelling argument. In fact, if I did not
already have BRU, I probably would not bother to purchase it and would
just use find and cpio. It is not a bad package and works well, but
why bother? The --format=crc permits putting a CRC onto every block,
and there is now a --only-verify-crc option on input which restores
nothing and checks the CRC of every block. So I should be able to
duplicate this minor advantage without BRU.

Advantage 2, below, is somewhat more compelling.

> > 2.) it can make an OBDR tape. OBDR is "One Button Disaster Recovery."
> > The controller for the tape drive can masquerade as a CD-ROM
> > controller and you can boot the system from such a tape. So when
> > disaster strikes and you must replace your hard drive(s), you do that,
>
> Haven't seen those things since the days of my Sun 360!

I have not used Sun workstations since the late 1980s, and do not
remember them very well.

> > stick your OBDR tape into the drive and reset the machine in the
> > proper way, and the system will format your new hard drive(s)
> > (presumed to be at least as large as your old ones), restore all your
> > files, and everything else (such as everything in /dev), and off you
> > go.
>
> Sounds useful.

I hope never to find out. The only way to test it that I can think of
is to deliberately zap my hard drive(s) with somthing like dd -i
/dev/zero -o /dev/sda (and again for /dev/sdb). I do not feel like it.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Modem setup for dial-in
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 02:44:18 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 1 Dec 2000 12:39:30 -0500, trebor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm having trouble enabling >9600 baud on my modem for dial-in. Based on
>feedback from a previous post, and other research, I'd like to send the
>AT&B1 command to my modem.

I have only used mgetty for that and it has configuration commands for
modem init strings.  It will not help to try to set things like this
externally because mgetty periodically resets the modem as long as nothing
else (like pppd dialing out) is using it.

However, this requires that any other program using that modem uses the
same /dev description, so lockfiles work properly.  If you try to dial out
pppd using /dev/modem and mgetty is using same as /dev/ttyS1, mgetty will
not know that the modem is in use and will reset it.  As long as any
program using the modem uses the same lockfile, then mgetty will wait
quietly until the lock clears.

Not sure why you want to force 9600, unless one of them is a 14.4K RPI
modem.  RPI was a Rockwell protocol that had no error correction or
compression without special software, and without such software could not
reliably connect to 28.8K or faster modems unless forced back to 9600.

--
David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: Wayne Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Extracting Files from a *Linux Partition* on a Broken Linux (Restated)
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 18:46:41 -0800

I posted the message below a short while ago about getting some files off a tape. I
now realize that
the problem could be restated as how to get the files off a Linux partition and onto a
DOS partion. I
can then take them off the DOS partition onto a Zip drive and over to the NT machine.
Anyway, I'm
looking for some utility or program to do something like that.

From: "chmod" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: hdparm and such
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 02:52:10 GMT

Hey, I have a problem getting my hd to shutdown with hdparm. I have
configured it, using hdparm, to shutdown after 30 minutes of inactivity.
However, because it is my main hard disk, and all my mounted partitions
are on it, the drive refuses to sleep because it's busy. Is there a
remedy for this, so that my drive will shutdown?

Thanks,
chmod

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Screen shots.
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 02:57:52 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 01 Dec 2000, Jan Schaumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>* Kyle Parfrey wrote:
>> Hey.
>> Does anyone know how to do screen shots in kde or gnome? I tried "print
>> screen" and pasting
>> into gimp and it didn't work.
>
>the gimp has an option to take a screenshot.
>So does xv

I have done that with xv.  KDE also has Ksnapshot, although, I think it is
limited in formats it can save files as.