Linux-Misc Digest #196, Volume #26               Tue, 31 Oct 00 16:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Linux/Windows2000 PPP communication problem ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Konqueror:  where? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Netscape install question. (Larry Autry)
  Re: Linux PDA (Eric Lindsay)
  Re: Netscape sucks: alternatives? (Scott Alfter)
  Re: Detect number of CPU's from within a program? (Jon Shemitz)
  Re: Startup with a GUI :( ("David ..")
  Re: Turbolinux ??? (Rod Smith)
  which distribution is best??? (Alan Shiers)
  Shared Memory (Randy Feeney)
  Re: Removing drive from RAID1 (NAVARRO LOPEZ, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jes=FAs?= Manuel)
  Re: using linux to emulate a serial printer ?? (Grant Edwards)
  need windows prog to transfer files to linux ("Jerry Todd")
  Re: Konqueror:  where? (Jacques Guy)
  Re: Turning services off and on? (Grant Edwards)
  Re: redhat: Out of Range (hjkopel)
  Re: Help lpr: connect:  Connection refused ... (chris)
  "No space left on device" (Adam Clark)
  Re: "No space left on device" ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Which is the best distribution? (Victor Dods)
  cdrecord error on 80Min CD-R's ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Linux/Windows2000 PPP communication problem
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 18:58:44 GMT

Ok this might be more of a Linux question, but I am sure some of you
have had this problem. I have set my linux box to be a ppp server
according to the FAQ. It seems to work (almost). I can dial in, and
start pppd. A bunch of garbage goes across the screen and I hit "done".
at this point windows2000 prompts with "Validating Username and
Password", and then hangs up. What could be wrong here? I have logged
in and started the ppp session, why does it need to Validate user name
and password? This is very frustrating.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Aaron.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Konqueror:  where?
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 19:12:23 GMT

Jacques Guy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I keep reading about Konqueror being so much
> better than Netscape, but my brain cells must
> be on leave because, however hard I tried,
> I could not find it. I  did AltaVista searches,
> went to Linuxberg.com... nothing.  I am starting
> to doubt my sanity, and wondering if I might
> no be ready to be recycled into soylent green.
> Help please!

Konqueror is part of KDE2, which was recently released.

I'd suggest checking out http://www.kde.org

Adam

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Larry Autry)
Subject: Netscape install question.
Date: 31 Oct 2000 19:12:49 GMT

I inherited a linux box with RH 6.2 and Netscape 4.72. I've now installed
Netscape 4.75 and apparently still have the older version on the system.
What is the best way to remove 4.72?

Thanks,
Larry Autry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Lindsay)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
Subject: Re: Linux PDA
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 19:18:33 GMT

On Sat, 28 Oct 2000 23:04:11 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (IX Corp) wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Eric Lindsay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I would have thought a few more of the hobby
>>computer people would be interested, given EPOC is the only
>>pocket O/S that already comes with a built in language
>>right out of the box (except for the Revo model).
>
>OPL isn't a very exciting development tool, though it is somewhat better
>than nothing. Even Symbian realizes this; they seem to be going with Java.

I continue to be surprised at how much you can do with OPL.  However
the recommended development system still seems to be the C++
one running on a PC.  This is probably fine for a professional
developer doing stuff full time, but is a bit of a handful if you only

write little things to solve specific problems once every few months.

I think Java is still just too slow.  Or maybe the Psion hardware
isn't fast enough for Java.  Or maybe the JVM just isn't there yet.
Or maybe Java should compile to native code and forget about
write once, run everywhere (which in my very limited experience
seems a total joke). Still, I have a little handful of Java books on
the shelf, just in case.  My Psion 5 is too old to have the JVM, so
if there is any Java stuff out there for the Psion, it wouldn't work.

>I recently bought a high end WinCE machine to replace my HP100. Much as I
>hate M$, EPOC was useless to me, due to an utter lack of useful
>applications (symbolic math, CAD, color picture viewer, mapping software
>for the U.S. etc etc).

Yes, Graph32 isn't in the same range as Mathematica, and the various
drawing packages don't seem aimed at CAD.  I take it there is a PPC
symbolic math package?  I know there is some sort of CAD package.
RealMaps and GeoDis both work fine for the USA.  Interestingly, at one
stage about the only non-Windows software Microsoft sold was
Automap, for the Psion 3, which Microsoft bought out.  Once the
Windows version was done, the Psion Automap version disappeared.
I'm in the same situation regarding maps in Australia.  Since most of
the Psion stuff covers Europe and UK, I have to do my own maps
(which is time consuming, although the tools are there).

>The hardware is pretty chinsey as well. All the
>ones I saw in stores as demo models were broken. Maybee this will
>change once "Quartz" takes off. While the WinCE machine (an HP Jornada
>430) was actually somewhat useful, the UI was horrid, and in the end it
>wasn't useful enough to justify the price tag, so it went back to the
>factory on the lemon-offer.

Like you, I'd like a more robust model.  That said, it took from
November 1997 until about August 2000 for me to break my Psion 5
(and says something for my expectations that I had a spare in a
drawer ready to replace it).  My Psion 3a and 3c were both retired
from service intact.  A doctor friend is still using the 3c, and I
have the 3a as a spare alarm clock.

However, if I really wanted a robust model, I guess there is always
the option of one of the hardened industrial versions.  The new netPad
is supposed to be ok after a five foot fall onto concrete and 30
seconds in water.

>As a power user, I have yet to find a machine more useful than my HP100LX.

I still spend 80% of my computer time in DOS (well, 4Dos)
applications, and find it is faster for most things than the Windows
equivalents.  If it weren't for the "too many keys" reaction I get
whenever I try a HP200LX, I'd have bought one years ago.  Every trip
to the USA I'd go into Fry's figuring I'd get one this time, and every
time that keyboard persuaded me that I didn't want to use it.  I was
tempted again by the reconditioned ones PalmtopPaper have for sale.

Don't know about Linux.  Sometimes it seems that it is more a toy for
techies than a productivity tool.  I've had a couple of different
versions on and off my PC, and always seem to lack some facility I
figure I really need.  I suspect if I got to know what was available a
little better, I could find replacements, but it didn't seem worth the
considerable effort.

--
Eric Lindsay  http://members.xoom.com/eric_lindsay/airlie
Airlie Beach Qld Australia - Great Barrier Reef entry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Alfter)
Subject: Re: Netscape sucks: alternatives?
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 19:22:57 -0000

------------------------------

From: Jon Shemitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Detect number of CPU's from within a program?
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 11:24:57 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> From within a C program, how can I tell how many processors
> are in the system?
>
> I know that from the command line, I can do "cat /proc/cpuinfo",
> but I don't want to try to parse that within a program.
> Also, ideally I could use a POSIX system call so that the
> code could be ported to Solaris.

Parsing /proc/cpuinfo shouldn't be insanely hard. Just count lines that
contain "processor", for example. But a Unix geek friend pointed out to
me that while /proc may be on all Linux distros, it's not on Solaris &c.

So, the simple minded solution is to just 'tare' the system at program
startup. Start a thread doing something compute intensive like a bunch
of Mandelbrots, and see how many iterations you get in 100 msecs or so.
Then start two threads and see if each thread does as many iterations in
the same time. Repeat until you hit the wall.

--

http://www.midnightbeach.com    - Me, my work, my writing, and
http://www.midnightbeach.com/hs - my homeschool resource pages

------------------------------

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Startup with a GUI :(
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 12:56:55 -0600

Rahul Asave wrote:

> Hi Everyone
> I finally got Redhat 7.0 onto my computer. Seems like I did the
> impossible :)
> Anyways, it starts up in ... a DOS like mode, without any GUI login
> prompt. How do I get it to startup in GUI mode and then use terminal
> windows to give shell commands?
> Please help!
> Thanks a lot.
> Rahul

If you installed X then you can enter "startx" at the command prompt. If
that works then you can edit /etc/inittab and change the line below by
replacing the 3 with a 5 to start X automatically at boot time.

 id:3:initdefault:

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: Turbolinux ???
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 19:33:07 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher W. Aiken) writes:
> I just read an article "Linux soars, Red Hat merely flies"
> in the Pittsburgh,Pa USA edition of "Computer User, Nov 2000".
> They indicated that since '98 RH has grown 69% while
> SuSE and Caldera have grown 175%.  They also said that
> TurboLinux has grown a whopping 450% !!!!  Thus knocking
> RH's market share to only 48%.
>
> Anyone have experiances with TurboLinux?  What do they have
> to offer that the other flavors of Linux do not have?  Why
> such a tremendious growth?  $80US seems to be a bit much.
> I know that we have a "beta" server loaned to our company
> that was pre-installed with TurboLinux.  Are large companies
> going Turbo instead of RH/SuSE, etc.?

I've recently installed TurboLinux on a laptop, but haven't yet had much
time to play with it. The installation was *STRONGLY* reminiscent of RH
6.1 and earlier text-mode installers. It got the job done. The default
configuration seems fairly reasonable, but again, I've not had much time
to mess with it.

I believe that TL's big thing is that it's got excellent Japanese
support. That's not important for me, but if those figures you quoted
are worldwide, and if sales have been taking off in Japan, that could
account for it. If they're just domestic sales, I don't know what's
causing it. I'm reluctant to read too much about the software into sales
figures, though. They're all too easily changed by marketing concerns
that have nothing to do with the quality of the software.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

From: Alan Shiers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: which distribution is best???
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 19:37:30 GMT

Hi there:
    I'm am in the process of getting familiar with a distribution of
Linux from Corel.  While it is my understanding that Linux itself is
regarded as one of the most stable of OS's, I am having a particularly
difficult time liking this particular distribution of it.  No matter how
hard I try, the installation of software is near impossible. There
doesn't seem to be a standard way to install new software!  So far I've
encountered three file types: *.sh, *.bin, *.deb.  Lord knows how many
others there are.  Compared to installing software in Windows, Microsoft
definitely has this procedure sewn up real pretty.  Just one file type:
*.exe
Double click on it and it runs a setup wizard.
Not the case with Corel Linux!
I've tried to install the JDK1.3 from Sun, Forte developers IDE from
Sun, WordPerfect from Corel, PKZip from PKWare,  all with a different
file type and instructions as to how to install, none of which work, at
least, not with Corel Linux.

Now, all this frustration leads me to these questions...are all
distributions of Linux in the same boat?  Is everyone else having the
same difficulties I am having with Corel Linux?
Does anyone out there have experience with working with other differing
distributions and have found one particular distribution better than the
others, particularly in the area of consistant reliability of software
installation?

Regards,

Alan

------------------------------

From: Randy Feeney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Shared Memory
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 11:47:37 -0800

I am using Linux version 2.2.12-20smp kernel and I am trying to increase
the amount of shared memory. Is there a way to do this through config
files or must I recompile the kernel?

I have a 2gig system and it still only shows 43meg shared available. I
would like to increase this to 128meg or more.

Thanks!

Randy

------------------------------

From: NAVARRO LOPEZ, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jes=FAs?= Manuel
Subject: Re: Removing drive from RAID1
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 20:14:14 +0100

Hi Steve:

Steve Wolfe wrote:

>      I am currently working on a system that was set up by another
> individual to use software RAID1 (mirroring) across two IDE drives.  The
> machine is being migrated to a larger setup, with hardware RAID.
>
>      In the interest of least downtime, the data needs to be transferred
> quickly.  Since the machines are fifty miles apart, it's tough to transfer
> several gigs quickly.  I'm considering simply removing the second drive from
> the original machine, driving it to the new server, and copying the
> information from it.  My question:
>
>      If I simply remove the second drive from the first computer, will it
> keep working with just the first drive, or will I have to interact with it
> in any way?

Hmmm... the problem is what kind of services does the box offer.  I
mean, if it's mainly *giving* data, then not so much problem, but if it
is *recieving* data it will suppouse a desync problem (from the time you
take off the mirror to the time you finally take off-line the old
system).

But, suppouses that desync it's not a problem, this remembers to me an
old addagio from the first days of computing (well, maybe not the very
first, still, some 20/30 years ago):  Never understimate the bandwith of
a wagon full of tapes!!!

That said, what about taking out the last full backups and restore data
on the new system?

(Problem with taking out the disks is that usually it means breaking the
mirror and rebooting the machine, while the backup approach does not
lead to any downtime at all -maybe aided with a 'rsync' process for the
few bytes desync'd from the backup time to the off-line of the old
machine).
--
SALUD,
Jesús

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Subject: Re: using linux to emulate a serial printer ??
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 20:19:29 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Henry Psenicka wrote:

>1.     Able to run a terminal session over a serial port to operate
>PBX console session.... this is nothing special, any terminal software
>should handle this. ( Hyperterm under Windows will do this)

Mincom, kermit, and that other one with the nasty Athena
widgets whose name I forget...

>2.     Able to emulate a serial printer (via COM2 serial port) to
>capture PBX activity logs to a file on disk.  Can this be done with
>any terminal software, or is something special required?

$ cat /dev/ttyS1 >logFile

>I have never attempted to emualte a serial printer device... can
>anyone offer tips, or point me toward a how-to that will help describe
>how this is done?

What exactly do you have to emulate?  If the PBX sends ASCII,
then just write the data to a file.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I smell like a wet
                                  at               reducing clinic on Columbus

------------------------------

From: "Jerry Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: need windows prog to transfer files to linux
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 14:30:16 -0600

I am using a dual boot system with a hard drive for windows and a seperate
hard drive for linux.  I would like to get files off of my windows drive and
onto my linux drive.  Does anyone know of a program that can transfer files
from windows to linux?

Thanks for the help,

Philip

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 20:23:13 +0000
From: Jacques Guy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'd suggest checking out http://www.kde.org

Thanks, but... I must be  jinxed.

I went to

http://www.kde.org/download.html

I clicked  "FTP Mirrors"... I got:

Not Found

The requested URL /ftpmirrors.html was not found on this server.

I'm telling you I must be jinxed! I need a blessed scroll
of remove curse -:)
                ^^^ look, even the smiley went all awry!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Subject: Re: Turning services off and on?
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 20:23:26 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dances With Crows wrote:
>>When my machine boots up a number of services start which I don't
>>really need right now. I would imagine they effect performance by
>>running in the background.

>/sbin/init.d/rc?.d/ contains symlinks to /sbin/init.d/$SERVICENAME .
>Replace the ? with a runlevel number.  So for runlevel 3, "ls -l
>/sbin/init.d/rc3.d/" shows a whole lot of things:
>
>K10oracle -> ../oracle
>K10xdm -> ../xdm
>[...]
>S90oracle -> ../oracle
>S90xdm -> ../xdm
>
>If I didn't want to run Oracle in runlevel 3, I would remove the
>symlinks containing "oracle" from the /sbin/init.d/rc3.d/ directory.

I usually just change them from S45foobar to s45foobar.  They
won't start up that way, and you know what you've disabled
(anything starting with "s").

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Quick, sing me the
                                  at               BUDAPEST NATIONAL ANTHEM!!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 13:55:51 -0600
From: hjkopel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: redhat: Out of Range

Lily Fu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to linux administration and I need urgent help!
>
> RedHat 6.2 was installed on a machine as 'server' type.
> Today, I tried to upgrade it by adding X-Window
> packages. After chose 'upgrade' and selected
> the XFree86 and other packages, (using the customerize option)
> it went ok, but it said 'mouse' couldn't be found.
>
> So, I went to 'upgrade' procedure again,
> this time, I though I didn't need to install any packages,
> I clicked 'upgrade' and 'custoerize' but didn't
> check any packages. Strange enough, the system
> went to update all 214 packages from CD-ROM
>
> Then, it rebooted, but gave me the following error:
>
> "OUT OF RANGE
> Hz: 30kHz - 130 kHz
> Vz: 50Hz - 160Hz
>
> CURRENT FREQUENCY
> Hz: 27.8kHz Vz: 62Hz"
>
> What does this mean?
>
> I need to get the system back as soon as possible,
> please help!
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Lily

    These refer to your display configuration. I would guess that you
need to configure your monitor so it can run Xwindows. Go to the setup
program by typing in "setup" then click "X-configuration". You'll need
your monitor manual.
    Howard..

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 14:34:59 -0500
From: chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help lpr: connect:  Connection refused ...

I'm not really sure what you mean, villy...

The "next in line"?

Can you clarify it a bit for me?

Thanks!

------------------------------

From: Adam Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: "No space left on device"
Date: 31 Oct 2000 20:39:35 GMT

[05:21am] /tmp$ df -h
/dev/hda5             289M  232M   42M  85% /
/dev/hda6             3.2G  1.2G  1.9G  38% /home
/dev/hda7             8.2G  2.1G  5.6G  27% /usr

[05:35am] /tmp$ touch /tmp/anything
touch: /tmp/anything: No space left on device

This happened the other day, there were a bunch of other things messed up
so I rebooted and everything looked fine.  Then this morning I came in to
find a 10-hour old logrotate process eating the CPU and everything under /
is untouchable again.

Mandrake 7.1 system.  It actually has many many issues, not really very
impressed by Mandrake so far.

Adam

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: "No space left on device"
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 20:48:44 GMT

Adam Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [05:21am] /tmp$ df -h
> /dev/hda5             289M  232M   42M  85% /
> /dev/hda6             3.2G  1.2G  1.9G  38% /home
> /dev/hda7             8.2G  2.1G  5.6G  27% /usr

> [05:35am] /tmp$ touch /tmp/anything
> touch: /tmp/anything: No space left on device

> This happened the other day, there were a bunch of other things messed up
> so I rebooted and everything looked fine.  Then this morning I came in to
> find a 10-hour old logrotate process eating the CPU and everything under /
> is untouchable again.

> Mandrake 7.1 system.  It actually has many many issues, not really very
> impressed by Mandrake so far.

> Adam

Well, you can configure ext2 to reserve a certain percentage of a drive
writable only by root (so a user can't start a process to fill the drive).

I guess it's possible that your system was configured to allow a huge
reserve, although I don't think I've ever seen anything higher than
5% (and you obviously have 15% left).  The other partitions are fine,
right?

Adam

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: loading binfmt_aout not sufficient?
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 20:40:17 GMT

Hi,

  I have a problem in getting an a.out format
binary to run. Your help is
greatly appreciated.

  I am trying to run mapleV release 3, which is in
a.out format, on a box
with Redhat 6.1 distribution. I have done

insmod binfmt_aout,

but I still get the error:

/usr/local/bin/maple: /usr/local/maple/bin/mapleV:
cannot execute binary file.
/usr/local/bin/maple: /usr/local/maple/bin/mapleV:
Exec format error

  binfmt_aout is indeed loaded as re-issuing the
command gets:

[kai@diana ~]# insmod binfmt_aout
/lib/modules/2.2.12-20/fs/binfmt_aout.o: a module
named binfmt_aout already exists

  I have used the SAME "insmod" command and the
SAME kernel
(/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12-20) on a different machine.
MapleV would run fine
there. Apparently just loading binfmt_aout is not
sufficient for my machine
and I am missing something. But I can not think of
what that
would be. I suppose recompiling the kernel with
"CONFIG_BINFMT_AOUT=y" would
accomplish the same and won't make any difference
here. Am I right?

 Thanks a lot in advance.

        Kai

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: loading binfmt_aout not sufficient for a.out format binaries
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 20:42:37 GMT

Hi,

  I have a problem in getting an a.out format binary to run. Your help
is
greatly appreciated.

  I am trying to run mapleV release 3, which is in a.out format, on a
box
with Redhat 6.1 distribution. I have done

insmod binfmt_aout,

but I still get the error:

/usr/local/bin/maple: /usr/local/maple/bin/mapleV: cannot execute binary
file.
/usr/local/bin/maple: /usr/local/maple/bin/mapleV: Exec format error

Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 12:51:39 -0800
From: Victor Dods <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which is the best distribution?

John Hasler wrote:

> Victor Dods writes:
> > I need a system which is easy to install things on -- like KDE 2,
> > development IDEs, libraries, etc.
>
> All available for Debian and installable with 'apt-get install
> package-name'.

I've always wondered if, for example when you install KDE or something
which provides headers for development later, those Debian/rpm packages
install the program as well as the source code?

Victor Dods

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: cdrecord error on 80Min CD-R's
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 20:52:37 GMT

Has anyone had a problem writing a 700MB/80Min CD-recordable disk with
X-CD-Roast and cdrecord 1.8.1? I can write generic 74Min CD-R's without
any problem, but when I switch to 80Min CD-R's I get the following error
from cdrecord:

cdrecord: Cannot get disk type.

Thanks in advance,

-Brian